• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California Governor Says His State Will Be a Sanctuary for Science Under Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Hopefully, his next replacement will be a conservative Republican. California needs to share the pain.

California has an open primary system--basically for open state-wide seats, the general election ballot will be Democrat vs. Democrat. Republicans can basically only challenge after there is a Democrat as an incumbent, or if they are really popular enough to get into the general election ballot.

Amikami

Banned
Fucking proud to be a native Californian. Love my state.

the irony in this is that california is the state with the largest percentage of its population being immigrants

i think it's something around 30% while most states are below 10%

it's the least American part of America, and that's part of why it's a "sanctuary for science" or whatever the latest spin is

but what do i know. clearly the best way to "make Americans great again" is by putting an anti-science anti-education fake-news-propagandizing fascist in the oval office

I know what you're trying to say, but I wouldn't use the term "less American." California is as American as any state while much of it's population might not be native born. In some respects, being a sanctuary for immigrants to come and make a better life is one of the most pure and idealistic concepts of America there is.

otapnam

Fucking proud to be a native Californian. Love my state.

I know what you're trying to say, but I wouldn't use the term "less American." California is as American as any state while much of it's population might not be native born. In some respects, being a sanctuary for immigrants to come and make a better life is one of the most pure and idealistic concepts of America there is.

California for life. Yall don't even know

Eusis

Hopefully, his next replacement will be a conservative Republican. California needs to share the pain.
No, and fuck that kind of logic.

This isn't like having to deal with a shitty part of a movie or a game, or having some sports team win rather than another, some of us may live or die based on some of these policies due to our medical situation or by being some flavor of LGBT. We don't "deserve" to suffer just because of some assholes elsewhere in the country.

Concept17

As a Seattlite I've gone from feeling like there was a rivalry between us and California, to being best coast bros since the election.

Good on him. Great stuff.

M52B28

Banned
Doing this will make you realize that California has problems, too.

I love San Francisco, but it has some huge problems to solve.
Lol, people don't even know. California is very expensive due to the many other states being undesirable.

Pyrokai

I can't think of many other places to go other than California and New York. I seriously hate the rest of the country right now. Help!

Holmes

God damn making me want to move to San Fran
Oh no. If you want to enjoy living in California you will not move to San Francisco. I'm here in the wine county (north bay) and I'm good, and I can visit San Francisco easily and quickly whenever I want.

Lenz44

Banned
As a Seattlite I've gone from feeling like there was a rivalry between us and California, to being best coast bros since the election.

Good on him. Great stuff.

Agreed. I have more love for all of our southern west coast bros more than ever. Hold down the fort on the west coast!

As long as they have some sort of safe haven for the next couple of years, that's A-Okay with me. Unfortunate that we have a president that's making this situation even arise, but I guess you have to do with what you're given, under certain circumstances...

Gonna hunker down in the liberal oasis of Atlanta.
Send help (and mission burritos).
I'm from Atlanta and live in California. I love both places. We lived off Ponce De Leon near Piedmont Park. I miss Atlanta, but Cali made the transition easy. The local government here is second to none and makes it very difficult to leave. The cost of living is high, but if you are an engineer or in the medical field, it significantly softens the blow.

He already got the ball rolling. His instructed Caltrans to start using VMT instead of LOS (this will incentive dense Transit oriented developments), accelerated environmental reviews for green and public transit projects and he has championed the bullet train from Sacramento down to SD.

If anything this is actually for the best. You got most of your people in the more temperate areas of the state, so the need to air-conditioning and heating is lessened.The farms can either go away or live under plastic down the line.

It seems like what we need is a train from the valley to the bay area so people can easily commute to jobs in cities they can't afford to live in ...

Never been more proud to be from California.

Jerry Brown has been mostly a great governor. wish he had it in him again to seek the Democratic nomination for president.

Jeffrey

Wat's the link to the text version in the op

woops forgot to put the link. no one mentioned :<

I'm from Atlanta and live in California. I love both places. We lived off Ponce De Leon near Piedmont Park. I miss Atlanta, but Cali made the transition easy. The local government here is second to none and makes it very difficult to leave. The cost of living is high, but if you are an engineer or in the medical field, it significantly softens the blow.

atlanta is good. Been interested in california though, but grandparents aren't doing too great so I'm gonna stick around meanwhile.

It seems like what we need is a train from the valley to the bay area so people can easily commute to jobs in cities they can't afford to live in ...

The bullet train is running through the valley for precisely that reason, among other things. The first segment is actually already in construction there.

Jerry Brown is pretty baller. He also had the best campaign ad I've ever seen.

His Republican opponent tried the "let's go back to the good old days" shtick, saying that things were better in the late 70s. Jerry Brown responded with an ad that just showed her saying that and then the ad was like "You know who was governor back then? JERRY BROWN". Mic drop.

jeremy1456

California has long been the absolute center of science and culture in society.

Honestly San Francisco has long been to the USA what Rome was to the Holy Roman Empire.

Afrocious

Would love to move to California if it was cheaper and had a vibrant Black community I could live within. Also I'm a software engineer who seemingly has a hard time finding jobs on the west coast!

Crayon

Rent is stupid in the city but just expensive around the bay. And outside of that, it's just a bit on the high side.

Cali is worth it tho. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom