• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California Governor Says His State Will Be a Sanctuary for Science Under Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Would love to move to California if it was cheaper and had a vibrant Black community I could live within.

In the bay area there's Oakland and Emeryville. In LA there a handful of towns, Hawthorne and Inglewood are decent areas. Watts is a nicer area than it used to be too. Also Crenshaw-Baldwin Hills. But if what you're seeking is just Afro-Caribbean or African diaspora communities rather than just African-American residents, you'll find them in most bigger cities.

In the bay area there's Oakland and Emeryville. In LA there a handful of towns, Hawthorne and Inglewood are decent areas. Watts is a nicer area than it used to be too. Also Crenshaw-Baldwin Hills. But if what you're seeking is just Afro-Caribbean or African diaspora communities rather than just African-American residents, you'll find them in most bigger cities.

Vibrant and Baldwin Hills/Crenshaw are not a combo I would expect to see in a sentence.

Also 4 pages and no mentions of Jerry's aura?

Wulfric

Man, I need to visit that beautiful state some time. Wisconsin keeps letting me down. First Scott Walker's failed recall and then turning full-on red last month. Just a couple more years of university and I'll be out of this frigid wasteland.

off-topic: Can anyone vouch for Oregon? I don't have any relatives there but I heard it's a pretty decent state. Seattle/SF seems like it'll be out of reach in a couple years unless I end up majoring in CS and making hella $$$.

It's a beautiful state naturally too. You have all sorts of microclimates here: Woodlands, forests, Mountains, Beaches, Deserts, snow resorts, we have lots of stuff here that makes moving here worth it.

Vice

Great state. Even if you live in one of the smaller-cheaper areas you're likely a two-three hour drive from a major city.

mreddie

West coast is the best coast. Crazy both CA and NYC kinda agree to fight against the bullshit.

Meanwhile AZ gets the I DON'T KNOW HER. Even Nevada seems sane.

I don't think it's fair to brush all us Texans under the Rick Perry umbrella.

Much of Texas isn't a shithole full of horrible people. I promise. Most of us are good people.

Just, well, East and North Texas are full of shitty people.

Like this is all nice and all but seriously folks. Science needs a sanctuary in a modern country...

Like let that sink in nice and deep.

Science needs a sanctuary in the "most power" country on earth.

Your forefathers didn't die for this to be the reality that science needs to be protected.

Like this is all nice and all but seriously folks. Science needs a sanctuary in a modern country...

Your forefathers didn't die for this to be the reality that science needs to be protected.
And his supporters will lap it up with open arms.

Because knowledge is scary, that's why they didn't pay attention in school.

Yep, it's a shitty situation and no way should this be happening in 2016, especially in the US. All the scientific advances we have made the past couple of decades, and they want to put it all to a halt for what? Power and money? It's disgusting, but it just shows the dark side of what humanity produces and that it doesn't go away regardless, of how much smarter we think we have become.

God damn, this guy sounds inspiring. Hope he runs someday (although he's probably pretty old from the sounds of it).

He did run in 1992. He was basically the progressive candidate that year, but unfortunately the Clinton hype train ran away with it.

Brown pulled CA out of the recession early, and has been a badass on issues like this. Best governor California's had in 30 years.

Bad ass. I may have moved to Portland but my heart will always be in California.

I honestly couldn't imagine living anywhere but the best coast, and the election only helped reinforce that.

Nafai1123

Banned

Much of Texas isn't a shithole full of horrible people. I promise. Most of us are good people.

I'm from CA and I must say Austin is legit and I met a lot of good people. Ultimately there are good progressive thinking people in every state in this nation and I hope they can spread that type of thinking to others. Texas has a lot of millenials moving there from other states. It will turn blue at some point!

“You know this isn’t about Breitbart and those other clowns, this is not about the proliferation of news bits—this is real life.”
“To Rick Perry: I’ve got some news for you, California is growing a hell of a lot more than Texas, and we have more sun than you have oil!”

Holy sh!t!!! That ether is amazing!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Gonna hunker down in the liberal oasis of Atlanta.
Send help (and mission burritos).
Just be careful to never venture OTP, and you should be good. Atlanta's easily the coolest city in the south.

He did run in 1992. He was basically the progressive candidate that year, but unfortunately the Clinton hype train ran away with it.

Brown pulled CA out of the recession early, and has been a badass on issues like this. Best governor California's had in 30 years.

Best governor since the last time he was governor, really.

WorldStar

Banned
How is he senile?

Recent example that comes to mind: both CA republicans and democrats were shocked and in total disbelief after he vetoed off-hours use of carpool lanes on two MAJOR L.A. freeways.

The bill was overwhelming supported by both parties, neither party could make any sense of his justifications as to why he vetoed the measure.

Read up on it and please try to justify his position without sounding senile

gaugebozo

I'm from CA and I must say Austin is legit and I met a lot of good people. Ultimately there are good progressive thinking people in every state in this nation and I hope they can spread that type of thinking to others. Texas has a lot of millenials moving there from other states. It will turn blue at some point!
Moving from Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio :-/

numble

Recent example that comes to mind: both CA republicans and democrats were shocked and in total disbelief after he vetoed off-hours use of carpool lanes on two MAJOR L.A. freeways.

The bill was overwhelming supported by both parties, neither party could make any sense of his justifications as to why he vetoed the measure.

Read up on it and please try to justify his position without sounding senile

That isn't senile, his veto was expected. I think there is a reasonable position to discourage solo driving and encourage carpooling. For instance, major sporting events are usually "off hours" but will still create lots of traffic. Encouraging people to carpool to the events is a positive thing. You may be looking at it strictly from a traffic perspective, instead of environmental impact perspective.

Aurongel

Austin and Houston unfortunately don't make up a majority of this shit state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom