• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Modern Welfare 2 PC Performance

Quantum253

I upgraded from a 5-year old Asus 27” IPS 1440p 165hz screen to an LG OLED 42” and the combination of OLED+HDR is more “nextgen” then raytracing imo.
I've been really tempted. Right now, you can get the LG OLED 42" OLED for 999 and the 48" for 1050. It would be going on a desk, but I've been bouncing between a monitor and small TV. And right now it would only be a PS5, but later possibly a PC.

Boneless

FPS is fine, but I get flickering and crashes quite a lot. Both old driver and new.

Intel i5 alden lake with 3800

Last edited:

nikos

This is one of the worst launches of a major game that I can recall. Had to roll back drivers due to the flickering issue. Not horrible, but the game still frequently crashes especially when in a party. This was acknowledged by Infinity Ward shortly after the game launched but still hasn't been resolved.

My friend and I ended up playing something else tonight because one of us would crash every other game. It's a shame because we were hyped for this, not to mention it cost over $100.

When it runs, it actually runs well but having a 4090 definitely contributes to that. Hopefully at least the crashing issues are resolved soon.

This is one of the worst launches of a major game that I can recall. Had to roll back drivers due to the flickering issue. Not horrible, but the game still frequently crashes especially when in a party. This was acknowledged by Infinity Ward shortly after the game launched but still hasn't been resolved.

My friend and I ended up playing something else tonight because one of us would crash every other game. It's a shame because we were hyped for this, not to mention it cost over $100.

When it runs, it actually runs well but having a 4090 definitely contributes to that. Hopefully at least the crashing issues are resolved soon.
Did you notice the anti aliasing is quite rough in general?

You can't adjust it if you enable DLSS, and trying to run natively only gets me 75fps - which isn't really enough in a game like this.

I just noticed some shimmery ugliness on fences, some foliage etc...

Patrick S.

Banned

Man I’m glad I bought it on PS5…

nikos

You can't adjust it if you enable DLSS, and trying to run natively only gets me 75fps - which isn't really enough in a game like this.

I disabled DLSS and use CAS for extra sharpness, so it actually looks pretty nice. Better than MW19/Warzone.

Have you tried adjusting other settings to get extra frames with DLSS disabled? Could end up with cleaner image quality. I ran a quick benchmark with DLSS on Quality last night and don't remember it looking too bad, but that could also depend on resolution.

clarky

Gold Member
Just a couple of crashes for me, and ive hammered it since yesterday. Runs decent enough on my trusty 2080MQ laptop, not tried it out on the 3080 desktop at home yet.

I disabled DLSS and use CAS for extra sharpness, so it actually looks pretty nice. Better than MW19/Warzone.

Have you tried adjusting other settings to get extra frames with DLSS disabled? Could end up with cleaner image quality. I ran a quick benchmark with DLSS on Quality last night and don't remember it looking too bad, but that could also depend on resolution.
Yes, because my pc isn't that good I generally run every at normal, or low/off, to try and get in the 115-125 FPS range.

As I've mentioned before, I think my monitor is part of the reason my image isn't as crisp and colourful as it obviously could if I were on a superior screen.

It's hard to explain, but it's like I'm playing at lower resolution, even though it clearly shows I'm at 1440.

There's just a lack of detail and sharpness, that doesn't really get any better if I adjust various software and monitor settings to try and improve it.

I guess it's just a case of accepting that, with my set up, and playing at 1440p, I can have high FPS or a nice image, but not both.

It's a trade off.

I can certainly improve the image to a degree, but I drop down into the low 70s in FPS - which puts you at a disadvantage in such a twitchy, relatively fast paced experience.

Some single player games, something with a story, where the atmosphere is more important, I can actually get a nice image and stay at that 60fps threshold.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Days Gone, Far Cry 5, among others, are much cleaner.

It's simply not possible to push out those high frame rates and still get a really clean, detailed image.

Not till I upgrade my GPU, at any rate.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm running DLSS at 4k so I guess IQ isn't an issue as it looks pretty good given the target res.

But is anyone else getting stutters and long freezes during lobbies? Like loading the other character assets or some kind of network issue causes frequent frame spikes and sometimes it just freezes until the game loads. I can't be the only one with that issue . The games running off an nvme too.

R3TRODYCE

Runs great on my build at 4K dlss quality. My cpu temp is lower than I expected it to be while playing it.
4090, i9 13900k, 64gb DDR5, W11

Last edited:
I'm running DLSS at 4k so I guess IQ isn't an issue as it looks pretty good given the target res.

But is anyone else getting stutters and long freezes during lobbies? Like loading the other character assets or some kind of network issue causes frequent frame spikes and sometimes it just freezes until the game loads. I can't be the only one with that issue . The games running off an nvme too.
I had several freezes in the pre game lobbies yesterday and each time it crashed back to desktop.

Today, however, it has been much better.

recursive

I've been really tempted. Right now, you can get the LG OLED 42" OLED for 999 and the 48" for 1050. It would be going on a desk, but I've been bouncing between a monitor and small TV. And right now it would only be a PS5, but later possibly a PC.
I picked my 42in up for $1k about a month ago and use it for PC gaming. I think the 42 is fine but 48 would be too big on my desk. I do have a 48in setup for my console gaming though.

SLB1904

Banned
As someone who had different sizes of monitors throughout the years. Don't go over 32in if you are using on your desk. I can tell you right now you'll will regret

nikos

Yes, because my pc isn't that good I generally run every at normal, or low/off, to try and get in the 115-125 FPS range.

As I've mentioned before, I think my monitor is part of the reason my image isn't as crisp and colourful as it obviously could if I were on a superior screen.

It's hard to explain, but it's like I'm playing at lower resolution, even though it clearly shows I'm at 1440.

There's just a lack of detail and sharpness, that doesn't really get any better if I adjust various software and monitor settings to try and improve it.

I guess it's just a case of accepting that, with my set up, and playing at 1440p, I can have high FPS or a nice image, but not both.

It's a trade off.

I can certainly improve the image to a degree, but I drop down into the low 70s in FPS - which puts you at a disadvantage in such a twitchy, relatively fast paced experience.

Some single player games, something with a story, where the atmosphere is more important, I can actually get a nice image and stay at that 60fps threshold.

It's simply not possible to push out those high frame rates and still get a really clean, detailed image.

You’ve probably checked this, but make sure render resolution is at 100. Mine is defaulting to 33 when I start the game sometimes. This used to be a bug in Warzone and has somehow resurfaced. Also make sure scaling is at 100% in Windows display settings.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Finished single player on my 3080. No issues .

Got 4090, single player crashes when 4 pcie plugs connected. If I move target from 100 to 90 on msi after burner or use 3 pcie 4 and not 4, it doesn’t crash . Wtf is this ?

Multiplayer no crashes . All other games no crashes . Game is buggy ??

Also where is hardcore mode ?
Fixed my issue by doing what OP suggested. Roll back to the driver linked in the OP.

Chiggs

As someone who had different sizes of monitors throughout the years. Don't go over 32in if you are using on your desk. I can tell you right now you'll will regret

I have the LG 42" on 3rd party swivel stand and it's a thing of beauty.

Runs great on my build at 4K dlss quality. My cpu temp is lower than I expected it to be while playing it.
4090, i9 13900k, 64gb DDR5, W11
On a rig like that it should be consistently 4k 144hz+ at minumum without dlss to be great or even good

LiquidMetal14

On a rig like that it should be consistently 4k 144hz+ at minumum without dlss to be great or even good
Seeing the way it runs on console vs what is happening here, it basically can but it's not like it's running at 200fps all the time. I get pretty much 4k144 with a slightly lesser CPU and slower memory than his rig. For the way it looks, I'd say it's about right even without RT. It's a good looking game.

Also, I have not had any significant slowdown/frame time issues where the game feels jittery during game play. The lobbies, the lobbies are the issue for me but I've already ranted on that several times.

Also ALSO ALSO it hasn't used the GPU to the fullest and doesn't exactly kill the CPU either.

Last edited:
Seeing the way it runs on console vs what is happening here, it basically can but it's not like it's running at 200fps all the time. I get pretty much 4k144 with a slightly lesser CPU and slower memory than his rig. For the way it looks, I'd say it's about right even without RT. It's a good looking game.

Also, I have not had any significant slowdown/frame time issues where the game feels jittery during game play. The lobbies, the lobbies are the issue for me but I've already ranted on that several times.

Also ALSO ALSO it hasn't used the GPU to the fullest and doesn't exactly kill the CPU either.
Considering consoles do 1440p 120 you would think your rig could do at least 4k 120 but really 4k 144hz minumum you absolutely should not be needing dlss for that. Dlss should be used if your trying to target 240hz+ or play at 8k

flying_sq

5900x @ 4.7 All Cores
3090ti
32GB of DDR at 3600
Not using game ready drivers, as even Nvidia says not to use them due to crashing and bugs.

With DLSS at 4k I get around 160-210fps, but when I am in the menus checking out guns, or in a lobby with all the operators on screen I get an insane shimmering or ghosting effect with DLSS. It's pretty distracting, but I don't see it in any gameplay. DLSS 4k looks okay on quality, but honestly it's pretty soft, especially anything far away. I think 1440p native looks better. Also you get crashes if you have any Razer software running on your PC. I would post images, but it doesn't show up in screenshots.

Last edited:

RubberedDucky

Neo Member

Turn the DLSS sharpening as low as it will go. Looks significantly better.

LiquidMetal14

Interesting on the DLSS sharpening. It looka pretty good but I'll see what turning it down does. And the lobby issues are maybe the same as for as posted a few posts back. They still hitch here and there but there's this weird shimmering around the characters and it's easy to forgive since it's only during that section and never in gameplay.

clarky

Gold Member
Interesting on the DLSS sharpening. It looka pretty good but I'll see what turning it down does. And the lobby issues are maybe the same as for as posted a few posts back. They still hitch here and there but there's this weird shimmering around the characters and it's easy to forgive since it's only during that section and never in gameplay.
i think if you turn off screen space reflections that clears up the shimmering. Not at the pc to check right now but om sure it did ot for me.

I turned it down from 95 to 55 and it seemed a bit softer, but I couldn't honestly say I noticed a huge difference.

flying_sq

It's a trade off.

Definitely check your resolution scale on the second tab. Everything looks fine, hen I started the game one time and it look alike trash. My resolution said 1440, but the render scale was under 480p

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Playing MW2 is big for PC gamers's confidence, playing Battlefield V on an alienware 15r3 was easy for me it's hard to believe with today's tech that pc gamers struggle with playing a game like MW2.

If you are using DLSS, it greys out. Also I would recommend changing from borderless fullscreen, to full screen, then set to 4k if using DLSS. If just going 1440p, definitly check the res slider.
I can't really play at native resolution as the frame rate doesn't really cut it.

RubberedDucky

Neo Member
Really?

I'd have thought that would make it very blurry and smudged?
It got rid of a lot of the depth of field shimmering and aliasing for me (really notable in the gunsmith, for example). I will add that I play at 4K with DLSS Quality and all settings maxed out so your experience may differ if you're at lower resolutions. But by default it was noticeably oversharpened for me. And I'm a snob who refuses to play at 1440p because it's too soft.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Mine is crashing left and right in multi. The campaign ran fine but I typically can't get through more than 2 or 3 full games of multi without it crashing to desktop, super frustrating.

Its always the "game_ship.exe" error with the report and send option. I've done the driver updates, run in admin, scan and repair, deactivate parallax, deactivate overlays, etc etc all that jazz with no luck. Happens when Im partied up and also solo.

I heard its a widespread issue so hopefully they patch it soon.

Whats funny though is that I ran the game in safe mode and actually got through like 5 games then I had to log off... not sure if that fixed it or just happened to get lucky. Safe mode is gross though it looked like goddamn OG Doom. Not an option.

Last edited:
4090 also and i get flashes. Also even if i choose a certain operator it defaults back to the first one sometimes, and my load outs sometimes glitch..it'll be the gun with all the right attachments then randomly be just the gun no attachments.

I eased up on playing it and will finish some sp stuff first and wait for a few patches.

PerfectDark

Banned
I played beta on ps5, series x, and pc. I prefer fps on PC but my son wanted to game share with me so I got it on series x. My lobbies are full M&K PC players and it got annoying. So I bought the game on PC as well for when I play alone.

Not one issue on PC in the beta. My PC is 2 years old. Never a issue on my PC. But I got a ryzen 5600 and rtx 3070. Playing at 1440p. Game was a hot mess. I messed with video settings for 90 mins. Got it in a fairly good spot but then have 1/10th of a sec freezes all the time like lag freezes. I decided to do the 2hr steam refund. I wish I had more time to mess with the game. But if its not working after 90 minutes than ill take the refund.

So sick of PC. My Series x on my LG C1 blows the crap out of cod on PC with a 1440p 165hz monitor.

Solidus_T

Mine runs at 120fps almost always locked (I cap the fps at my TV refresh rate) at 4k with HDR on.
Running a 5900X and a 3090 FE with 32GB of RAM.

The UI is terrible in this game. Also I would have liked it if they released the game with hardcore mode.
Still, it's been a good time so far with my bro and my buddies.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I reverted back to the previous nvidia driver due the known issues.

I'm playing at maximum settings using nvidia scaling but have capped my fps at 90fps as I saw that my 1% lows were around that.

I'm playing with a I7 9700k and a 3090ti at 4k 120hz

I'm starting to wonder if my 9700k is struggling to provide enough data for the latest graphics cards as I very rarely see 120fps hit even if it mess around with dlss which isn't perfect in this game yet.

I will do some research about the 9700k and the latest games. 🤔

Update its fine as I get more than 120fps from cpu render

Last edited:

skneogaf

Can someone with a 4090 show me their benchmark result.

Every setting has to be on maximum without any scaling.

I'm curious how much faster the gpu score is than my 3090ti

D3sN7RR.jpg

Mine is crashing left and right in multi. The campaign ran fine but I typically can't get through more than 2 or 3 full games of multi without it crashing to desktop, super frustrating.

Its always the "game_ship.exe" error with the report and send option. I've done the driver updates, run in admin, scan and repair, deactivate parallax, deactivate overlays, etc etc all that jazz with no luck. Happens when Im partied up and also solo.

I heard its a widespread issue so hopefully they patch it soon.

Whats funny though is that I ran the game in safe mode and actually got through like 5 games then I had to log off... not sure if that fixed it or just happened to get lucky. Safe mode is gross though it looked like goddamn OG Doom. Not an option.
Me too.

I've had 4 crashes today in 2 or 3 hours of game time... it's really not acceptable.

It got rid of a lot of the depth of field shimmering and aliasing for me (really notable in the gunsmith, for example). I will add that I play at 4K with DLSS Quality and all settings maxed out so your experience may differ if you're at lower resolutions. But by default it was noticeably oversharpened for me. And I'm a snob who refuses to play at 1440p because it's too soft.
It's just unfortunate that the DLSS implementation in this game, or in this game engine, isn't as good as others I've experienced.

At least, that's my perception.

Top Bottom