• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Álvarez vs Julio César Chávez jr - A Fight For Mexican Pride - Saturday 5/6/17

ZoddGutts

Chavez only chance is the mid rounds when Canelo slows down. Cotto was able to land some decent shots but lacked the punching power to back it up. Still expect Canelo to win.

Oxn

Chavez only chance is the mid rounds when Canelo slows down. Cotto was able to land some decent shots but lacked the punching power to back it up. Still expect Canelo to win.

Cotto wouldve won if he had more power to back Canelo up. Canelo got that thick ass neck.

I have no idea why people are truly excited about this fight, Canelo, which is pretty tame, will destroy a nothing boxer like Chavez Jr.

Great show of marketing for this fight, whoever the fuck is promoting it, kudos to you.

I hope Canelo KO's Chavez Jr. Chavez Jr had a lot of talent and no work ethic and used his size advantage to pummel smaller opponents, however got exposed fighting better boxers or fighters his size to negate that advantage.

I have no idea why people are truly excited about this fight, Canelo, which is pretty tame, will destroy a nothing boxer like Chavez Jr.

Great show of marketing for this fight, whoever the fuck is promoting it, kudos to you.

I have no problem with the fight as it will do good business with two name Mexican fighters fighting on a Mexican holiday weekend. You need those. That's the whole purpose of prize fighting.

Yep. Will give some credit to Canelo but Chavez is a joke. Canelo is just a product of Televisa and is very far from great mexican fighters from past.

When the best of Mexican boxing is this fight , you can really say box is a joke.

Juan Manuel Márquez vs Antonio Barrera

Chávez vs Azabache Martínez

Terrible Morales vs Marco Barrera

Even. Chavez vs De la Hoya

Those were great fights.

After this fight , there is almost nothing to see and that is sad, I am talking about Mexican box.

Yup, it's in a rough state, last good Mexican boxer I remember being hyped about was Cochulito, then Nonito took him out and well, that was that.

ZoddGutts

This likely his last fight, he'll get a big pay check and retire. Spending he's remaining days smoking pot on the couch.

Yup, it's in a rough state, last good Mexican boxer I remember being hyped about was Cochulito, then Nonito took him out and well, that was that.

Honestly African American boxing isn't anywhere like it used to be and is slowly dwindling. Still got some elite and up and comers still in the game though.

Mikey Garica is American but he's also of Mexican descent. He's the truth.

Eastern Europeans are on the come up.

ZoddGutts

Garcia could make it big but still needs to prove himself, he needs to fight Jorge Linares, we'll see how things go.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Wow... Lemieux fighting again already, didn't realise it was tonight.

He's always entertaining. Love the guy.

Reyes is really cut. At this point I'd accept a stoppage. Goddamn

Holy shit Reyes came back hard this round. What a boss

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
lemieux putting on a clinic, sad he let go of his pigeotto haircut though

even crazier how GGG annhilated him with only his jab

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Reyes is doing well. Punched his way back into this fight and made it competitive again.

But right now he looks done.

v1lla21

Damn reyes held up well. Multiple times where I thought he was going down. Dude's got massive heart to put up those 10 rounds.

I forgot to say who is going to win tonight for the main event. Everybody is saying Canelo, well nearly everyone lol, so I'm just going for the underdog for the hell of it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
He's a bit limited, but he hits like a truck, and is fun as fuck to watch. Kind of guy that can end a champion in one punch.

Yeah but the GGG fight played out as expected. GGG was essentially just sparring with him, outright went easy on him and gave him more rounds to fight for the business' sake.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeah but the GGG fight played out as expected. GGG was essentially just sparring with him, outright went easy on him and gave him more rounds to fight for the business' sake.

Completely different tiers of fighters. Lemieux still owns though.

Top Bottom