• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

Farsi

Love that title. Great job on the OT.

Fight is so close to call, if I had to pick I would pick Canelo because GGG is more vulnerable to being hit it seems, but GGG has that crazy good jab. This is tough. This is boxing.

Turin

Banned
One of the most exciting matchups of recent years. I can't wait to see what their answers are for each other.

I'm picking Canelo by an exhausting hard fought decision.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Canelo has improved a massive amount but GGG is going to give him a run for his money. I actually think GGG with a late stoppage though its going to be a hell of a fight no matter who wins.

Turin

Banned
GGG seemingly has less room for error, partly because of reputation. Canelo won't be able to get anything done if he can't neutralize GGG's long pressure jab. He's also skating on thin ice if he tries to goad GGG along the ropes.

At the same time, GGG can be timed with nasty counters and he doesn't seem to crank up the intensity as the rounds go on. There's a lure there. We'll see who's smarter.

Tubie

Just watched the first 24/7 episode for this fight and I'm hyped as fuck.

These two beat incredible odds in their life just to get to this moment, and what a glorious moment it will be.

Definitely a 50/50 but I'm picking Canelo he's got better boxing skills than GGG and GGG hasn't looked his best in his last two fights. Who ever goes to the body consistently first will win the fight.

Moze

Banned
Great fight to bet on, this one. Canelo is the underdog because everyone has fallen for the GGG meme and are putting all their money on him. A Canelo win by KO is 9/1. It's likely he will get the decision imo but 9/1 for a KO/TKO? Those some good odds.

Tekniqs

Max please

this is box

Pushing for Canelo but I just want a great fight that is going to lead to a rematch or trilogy. Boxing needs another good rivalry like that.

Also OP you didn't even post the best Canelo/Kirkland gif, where he sends dude to the Crossroads (crossroads)

GpT3qN.gif

Canelo just didn't want Khan to be lonely (lonely)
(i know the Khan fight was after lol)

Tekniqs

Nah not really. Going to need to stay on top for a long while.

It will make him the early favorite for best of this Era after Mayweather and Pac though.

Anyway, got Canelo winning, better boxer overall. He's actually someone that excels at counter punching even though he's regarded as a knockout artist.

damn...Andre Ward gets zero respect

Haunted

Even the practice with boxing's inflated records and everyone handing out belts at the closest street corner is not going to prevent these kinds of legit superfights from happening every now and then.

This and Lomachenko - Rigondeaux are definitely boxing matches to look forward to.

Sentenza

I'm almost struggling to remember when it was the last time I anticipated a fight as much as this.
I'm becoming almost obsessed with it.

The great thing about this is: it's [supposed to be] so competitive that I imagine a completely different development every time I stop to think about it.
Both athletes have strengths and weaknesses that play into each other so well, everything could happen.

You have Canelo with quick hands, fast combinations, a bit lacking in terms of mobility and ability to control distance, very nimble in terms of upper body movement.
He's a great counter-puncher as well and he can surely pack a punch.
Not sure about his recent decision to put on so much muscular mass in such a short time. Surely it will make him more stocky, but given his history of showing occasional stamina issues, you have to wonder if that couldn't turn into a double edged knife.
It's also known that Alvarez loves to fight at a "leisure pace". He fights quickly in short bursts, then rests for the remaining part of the round and waits for opponents to come at him.

GGG is often dumbly dismissed as brawler, but everyone who knows shit about boxing should understand that no one could even dream the sort of career he had as an amateurs (350+ fights, almost all victories) just by being aggressive and hitting hard, without a proper skillset. The man is powerful, for sure, but it could be argued that accuracy, timing and control of distance are his greatest assets.
He also has great footwork and you couldn't point a time where he was seen emptying the tank, despise being famous for his relentless pace (he throws on average twice the punches of his weight division per round and he lands more than most in %). If anything he typically keeps raising the pace and pressure as the fight goes on.

It's my opinion that a lot of questions will find answer not late in the fight but immediately, as soon as we'll see how each one of them will react to the other's punches.

What I'm expecting:
I think people who see these two guys charging at each other from the get go will be surprised or even disappointed.
I don't think it will be slugfest. I expect Canelo to score slightly ahead in the first rounds, while Golovkin will essentially walk around him and jab, trying to check the right distance and timing.

As the fight will go on, we'll see them trading more and more often.
Canelo could eventually prove superior to the point of scoring a KO/TKO in the early rounds, but if that doesn't happen I see him more and more in disadvantage as the fight goes on. Wearing down under relentless pressure.
If this second scenario materializes, I expect GGG to win by KO/TKO in the late rounds.

I try to not do conspiracies or preventive whining, but if they go to the scorecards, I doubt Golovkin can hope for a win unless he offers a genuinely dominating performance.

Turin

Banned
Nah not really. Going to need to stay on top for a long while.

It will make him the early favorite for best of this Era after Mayweather and Pac though.

Anyway, got Canelo winning, better boxer overall. He's actually someone that excels at counter punching even though he's regarded as a knockout artist.

ward-kovalev-los-angeles%20(1).jpg

molotrok

Canelo has a far larger fanbase rooting for him than GGG does. If there would be any salt (of a large level) it would be if GGG won

Unless you are talking about rando's on YouTube I guess
GGG seems to have a more fanatical fanbase IMO. You hear a lot of "if the fight goes the distance and Canelo wins its only because it was fixed", from GGG fans.

Sentenza

GGG seems to have a more fanatical fanbase IMO. You hear a lot of "if the fight goes the distance and Canelo wins its only because it was fixed", from GGG fans.
There's always people saying stupid shit for each side of each fight.
If I started to copy-paste here all the downright idiotic stuff I read in the last two months from hardcore Canelo supporters we would need a dedicated subforum.

Also, I don't think there will be any "FIX" in this fight (nor that it's common in other ones), but it's also undeniable that when you are a local darling and a big money draw, you can bet your ass anything remotely close will lean on your favor on the scorecards.

#TeamGGG

Stupidly excited for this match up and as a boxing fan of over 25 years I can't remember the last time I was this hyped for a fight.

Maybe Hatton v Tszyu, but that's because I was a huge mark for Ricky back in the day, this fight reminds me of Benn v Eubank, Morales v Barrera or Leonard v Hearns.

I just hope to fuck it can live up to the hype!? I'm sure it will!

overcast

I think I have Canelo by decision. Mainly because I see him winning on points before him getting knocked out. Should be great.

Alvarez is awesome. Golovkin is good as well but he's kinda old and I think it should be in most people's interest to see the torch passing.

Best fighters of the generation:

1. May
2. Pac
3. Ward

Golovkin ain't up there, come on. He hasn't even moved or down in weight. What's his best win? Gale? Jacobs? Brook? Not even close to being a great on anything other than longevity and dominance. Why'd he not fight Ward at 168? He's hugging his 0 by making sure he doesn't step into the ring with anyone bigger than him.

HiResDes

I really can't believe how many people seem to be favoring Canelo and acting as if GGG is a straight up brawler without boxing skills... Many will be surprised

Sentenza

Alvarez is awesome. Golovkin is good as well but he's kinda old and I think it should be in most people's interest to see the torch passing.

Best fighters of the generation:

1. May
2. Pac
3. Ward

Golovkin ain't up there, come on. He hasn't even moved or down in weight. What's his best win? Gale? Jacobs? Brook? Not even close to being a great on anything other than longevity and dominance. Why'd he not fight Ward at 168? He's hugging his 0 by making sure he doesn't step into the ring with anyone bigger than him.
That's an astonishing amount of bullshit in so few lines.

But I've already noticed the sort of "boxing fan" you are in the general thread: the one who constantly throws around words like "exposed", "bum", "hype job", "salty" etc, and he's incapable to pay respect to top-tier athletes in their defeat.

Top Bottom