• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

Tom_Cody

I noticed GGG looking faster on the mitts than usual. Curious to see if that shows up in the fight.
Golovkin is absolutely blazing when he lets his hands go.

LankyDampFalcon-max-14mb.gif

Turin

Banned
Golovkin is absolutely blazing when he lets his hands go.

LankyDampFalcon-max-14mb.gif

Yeah. I won't say he overcommits necessarily, he's too well schooled for that, but lately he's been putting a lot into almost every punch he throws. Maybe he got too used to landing at will.

I hope the presenters drill into everyone's head about Mexico's Independence Day being on that day. I die a little everytime an American thinks the worthless Cinco de Mayo non-holiday day is our Independence Day.

May 5th is not even a work holiday over here! If you're going to appropriate a Mexican Holiday why not grab one that matters at least?

/rant

AMUSIX

Oh not that GGG, disappointed
Thank you for this being the first response... Exactly what popped into my head.

Looks like I'm back into boxing, though. Fight should be good, but I see Canelo taking it, as their speed and ability seems about even, but Canelo comes off as having a much harder punch.

see5harp

Andre Ward is clearly right there in terms of P4P but Vasyl Lomachenko the best. Superior boxing skills. He just needs a good opponent.

EDIT: I take Guillermo Rigondeaux too.

mnannola

Thank you for this being the first response... Exactly what popped into my head.

Looks like I'm back into boxing, though. Fight should be good, but I see Canelo taking it, as their speed and ability seems about even, but Canelo comes off as having a much harder punch.

Going to have to disagree there. GGG generates some incredible power in his punches. I would say GGG on average hits harder than Canelo, and that was done against bigger opponents.

Disclaimer: I have never been hit by either fighter.

oneHeero

That's an astonishing amount of bullshit in so few lines.

But I've already noticed the sort of "boxing fan" you are in the general thread: the one who constantly throws around words like "exposed", "bum", "hype job", "salty" etc, and he's incapable to pay respect to top-tier athletes in their defeat.

Its true though. Pac has a great history of fights, PBF is money, and Andre Ward is next if not, in front of the first 2.

Going to have to disagree there. GGG generates some incredible power in his punches. I would say GGG on average hits harder than Canelo, and that was done against bigger opponents.

Disclaimer: I have never been hit by either fighter.

lol he does

Canelo looked good against Amir Khan, but are people forgetting that guy has a glass chin and was smaller than Canelo?

The only reason people favor Canelo over GGG at this point is that because it appears like Canelo has been on the rise and GGG on the decline (particularly from the Canelo/Chavez and GGG/Jacobs) fight.

Chavez was a shit fighter that night and it showed; of course Canelo walked all over him.

Meanwhile GGG faced one of the toughest opponents of his career that was >10lbs heavier than him, has excellent movement and boxing skills, tough chin, size advantage, etc. Daniel Jacobs is world class basically. And GGG outboxed him that night and was the aggressor for most of the fight; he still managed to get a knockdown too.

I'm not saying that Canelo HASN'T gotten better over the past few years - he certainly has. But I don't see GGG declining either. He boxed just as well as he generally does against Jacobs and didn't show signs of fatigue or anything drastic over those 12 rounds. He still went for knockout power punches but played a more intelligent match, and respected Jacobs power more.

GGG has the size and experience advantage over Canelo. Ya'll gotta stop looking at Canelo's performance against someone like Amir Khan or Jr. Chavez. He's never faced someone like GGG before.

lol he does

Canelo looked good against Amir Khan, but are people forgetting that guy has a glass chin and was smaller than Canelo?

The only reason people favor Canelo over GGG at this point is that because it appears like Canelo has been on the rise and GGG on the decline (particularly from the Canelo/Chavez and GGG/Jacobs) fight.

Chavez was a shit fighter that night and it showed; of course Canelo walked all over him.

Meanwhile GGG faced one of the toughest opponents of his career that was >10lbs heavier than him, has excellent movement and boxing skills, tough chin, etc. Daniel Jacobs is world class basically. And GGG outboxed him that night and was the aggressor for most of the fight; he still managed to get a knockdown too.

I'm not saying that Canelo HASN"T gotten better over the past few years - he certainly has. But I don't see GGG declining either. He boxed just as well as he generally does against Jacobs and didn't show signs of fatigue or anything drastic over those 12 rounds. He still went for knockout power punches but played a more intelligent match, and respected Jacobs power more.

GGG has the size and experience advantage over Canelo. Ya'll gotta stop looking at Canelo's performance against someone like Amir Khan or Jr. Chavez. He's never faced someone like GGG before.

Yeah, you're right. The opponents Canelo has faced are not on the same level as GGG's. I keep getting pulled either way for my prediction. But something tells me that Canelo can pull it off. I can just picture Canelo moving more, keeping his distance and cruising to a difficult decision.

Yeah, you're right. The opponents Canelo has faced are not on the same level as GGG's. I keep getting pulled either way for my prediction. But something tells me that Canelo can pull it off. I can just picture Canelo moving more, keeping his distance and cruising to a difficult decision.

It's absolutely possible, and I'd be happy either way. These are two of my most favorite fighters of recent times - not just for their boxing skills, but character as well.

TuXx

Going with Canelo. 10th round stoppage.

GGG just seems content that he's finally got the big money fight that he's been chasing.

Canelo looks way more hungry and motivated than GGG.

Gonna miss this fight. Completely forgot it took place on the 16th. Fuuuuucccckkk. I will watch replay when I get back. Gonna have to avoid everything that night.

Wallach

Damn that gif is brutal. Defense wasn't even horrible, but GGG was on point with that accuracy.

I love watching Golovkin because it just seems like he has one of those unnatural intuitions for hitting people. He's one of the only people that has reminded me of Tyson in that specific sense.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I love watching Golovkin because it just seems like he has one of those unnatural intuitions for hitting people. He's one of the only people that has reminded me of Tyson in that specific sense.

He's a punching machine. Not only does he have an incredible raw output of punches but has the stamina to keep it going for a long time. On top of that he hits damn hard as well as being accurate with his punches and more so his punches aren't just accurate but he know's exactly when to throw them. Even the gif posted before its a left to the side that causes the gloves to lower just a bit and spread apart in reaction and in comes that smooth uppercut at just the right moment.

Turin

Banned
ggg did not duck him and ward lost to kov the first time.

Arguably lost a close battle with a leg injury and then broke his will in the rematch.

GGG said he'd fight anyone from 154-168. When Ward aggressively tried to get the fight done, GGG changed his tune.

Fun fact, the guy who gave Canelo his only draw (so far) was my first manager lol.

Looked him up on boxrec....... how's the guys health?

pixelation

Arguably lost a close battle with a leg injury and then broke his will in the rematch.

GGG said he'd fight anyone from 154-168. When Ward aggressively tried to get the fight done, GGG changed his tune.

Looked him up on boxrec....... how's the guys health?

Health wise he's doing good, but... not financially speaking, he was let go of the gym and sent to jail for a while for stealing a smart phone from a customer.

commedieu

Banned
This is going to be a lot of fun.

My money is on canelo. That's my gut. man this is crazy.

Also, the Corona girls will be there, yes?

Turin

Banned
Health wise he's doing good, but... not financially speaking, he was let go of the gym and sent to jail for a while for stealing a smart phone from a customer.

Jeez. Hope he can get his shit together.

And just maybe hang up the gloves............................

Sentenza

Its true though. Pac has a great history of fights, PBF is money, and Andre Ward is next if not, in front of the first 2.

I wasn't really concerned with his "top three" (even if I'm definitely not a Ward fan), as much as his other questionable claims.
Starting with the dubious suggestion that at 35 years of age GGG should "step aside and pass the torch to younger men", going into the arbitrary distinction he makes between one being "awesome" and the other "just good".

And man, I'm tired to read all the whiny bullshit about how every fighter should "move up in weight". Which is stupid in principle (given that plenty of all time greats had their entire career in one single weight class) and comes from a lack of understanding of what pushes a lot of fighters to do it (the natural tendency to gain weight while aging, mostly).

It's also comical that he blames Golovkin of "never stepping in the ring with anyone bigger than him" (spoilers: it happened several times already. In fact he's more often than not the smaller guy on the ring), while giving a pass to Saul Alvarez for it. One man that made an entire career on cutting weight very effectively and coming on the ring remarkably bigger than almost all his opponents.
The only notable exception was his last bout with a Chavez Jr that wasn't even trying to hit back.

Last but not least... honestly? I would rate both Jacobs and Brooks above most of the opponents Alvarez had in the last years.

Sentenza

Eh, no. It doesn't.
I'm not sure you realize what you linked, in context.

Ward won a close fight where Kovalev faded after body work just like he did in the second fight and got knocked out once Andre figured him out.
We all watch the fight, in some cases (me) even several time. I don't think anyone with a formed opinion needs a retelling of what happened.
I think Ward definitely lost that first fight, and while it was competitive, it wasn't even as close as some try to paint it.

That said, Ward won more convincingly the second time, so let's leave it at that.

Eh, no. It doesn't.
I'm not sure you realize what you linked, in context.

We all watch the fight, in some cases (me) even several time. I don't think anyone with a formed opinion needs a retelling of what happened.
I think Ward definitely lost that first fight, and while it was competitive, it wasn't even as close as some try to paint it.

That said, Ward won more convincingly the second time, so let's leave it at that.

He says Ward is too much but he's not ducking him lol

Top Bottom