• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Cup CANCELLED!! Online-only Season Event Final to Take Its Place

Are you going to bother with watching the online-only season final now that Capcom Cup is cancelled?

• Yes

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • Not sure yet; how's the netcode?

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
capcom_cup_2.jpg

"So this is how it ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper."

Welp, news just came in about an hour ago. I dunno how to feel about it. Honestly, I'm way less excited to watch this CC "replacement" knowing it will be online, because it will once again be regional-only. Don't know why it's so hard for them to do it like they did with at least getting the players at a location, quarantine them if needed, then have them play on systems linked up in different rooms through ethernet. Tokido and Smug did that in sets at RBK in France IIRC, it's a good and safe way to do in-person play: separate rooms, with LAN setup between two different systems.

I'll say it one more time. f u c k COVID These politicians and big pharma companies better figure something definitive out this year, and quick. Patience is near zero and I'm sure billions around the world are feeling similar even if they don't want to say it.

Anyway, anyone else going to bother watching this online-only season final event? Sound off.

Last edited:
That one hit my soul pretty hard. The players involved, as well as the great product that Street Fighter V is, deserves better. Capcom Cup is always so lit, but it is what it is, as they say.

Yeah I have to imagine this is at least somewhat demoralizing for a large segment of the pro players, especially those not in Japan and Korea (where the netcode being shit doesn't hurt as much due to superior internet infrastructure). Hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if some players just drop out now and find other stuff to do until SF6, SFV online-only tournaments have created enough nightmares as-is.

Ono gets the last laugh.

It's funny but if he were in charge I bet he'd of pushed way harder for an in-person event, even if it meant more costs in money and logistics. The tournaments where he showed up were always usually the most hype.

Just feels like the passion for the tournament side is being sucked dry now. I'll probably skip this event now; if SF6 gets revealed I'll watch the trailer on YT.

yurinka

It makes me really sad. Now that SFV as a game is in an awesome shape, and that the competitive scene is thriving in the different regions, I was really looking forward to see the Capcom Cup finals as the big Capcom Pro Tour finale, the Street Fighter League worldwide finals and the Street Fighter 6 announcement with super likely SF6 exhibition matches (I assume exhibition matches won't be SFV ones).

It would have been so awesome to make it presential as a big global event to say goodbye to SFV and to say hello to SF6. Again, SFV got unlucky and something ruined the party.

I'll watch it anyways, because even if not as great as presential global event, regional online tournaments will be cool too, and it seems superlikely that SF6 will be announced there.

It makes me really sad. Now that SFV as a game is in an awesome shape, and that the competitive scene is thriving in the different regions, I was really looking forward to see the Capcom Cup finals as the big Capcom Pro Tour finale, the Street Fighter League worldwide finals and the Street Fighter 6 announcement with super likely SF6 exhibition matches (I assume exhibition matches won't be SFV ones).

It would have been so awesome to make it presential as a big global event to say goodbye to SFV and to say hello to SF6. Again, SFV got unlucky and something ruined the party.

I'll watch it anyways, because even if not as great as presential global event, regional online tournaments will be cool too, and it seems superlikely that SF6 will be announced there.

Yeah it's almost locked there will be a SF6 announcement (having said that, I'm still worried it will be cross-gen, because that means it will be tethered to 8th-gen baseline hardware for 5+ years. Cross-gen support should be via cloud-only IMHO, most competitive players will gravitate to the 9th-gen systems anyway and casual players won't care as much about competitive aspect to be bothered by any lag cloud streaming it would cause).

The regional tournaments are nice, and it does give opportunity for smaller up-and-coming players in those regions to get a spotlight. But capping things at the regional level also makes it almost impossible to have the best international talent play against each other to see who would really come out as #1 in such a tournament. We'd of never gotten things like EVO 2017, EVO 2018 or the recent RBK events if the tournaments only confined players to their own regions.

So I don't mind regional tournaments for the smaller events in something like Capcom Cup, but the big events? Those should be international, and if that means in-person then that's what it should be. There are ways to do it without increasing the risk factor for players, either, besides we are talking about events with only the players and key tournament venue staff present, no big crowds of people would be present.

yurinka

Yeah it's almost locked there will be a SF6 announcement (having said that, I'm still worried it will be cross-gen, because that means it will be tethered to 8th-gen baseline hardware for 5+ years. Cross-gen support should be via cloud-only IMHO, most competitive players will gravitate to the 9th-gen systems anyway and casual players won't care as much about competitive aspect to be bothered by any lag cloud streaming it would cause).
This cloud-only thing doesn't make sense. There are zero reasons to drop the previous gen version for a fighting game, since the only difference would be smaller resolution, less detail in models/texture/lighting and longer loading times. Design and gameplay can be 100% the same. And the big majority of the players are -and will be for 2-3 years- in the older generation, and specially for balance in ranked online matches is better to have the biggest amount of players possible.

And if they release it on PC, they will have to scale it down anyways. It's still too soon to make the competitive games next gen only, specially those who aren't super big in terms of playerbase as it is the case of the fighting games.

Which makes me think that if they need a big userbase, they may go F2P this time. Maybe the % of revenue from DLC/IAP/Season Passes in SFV was super high compared to game sales, and players now are ok with GaaS/season based content, so who knows. If the economy is as it has been with SFV, adding maybe some extra cosmetics customization (like being able to select skin color or clothes separatedly as in Tekken), it would be ok for me. In fact, it would be great seeing tons of players from both consoles, both generations and PC together. Including many folks who wouldn't have played SF6 because of the original payment paywall.

The regional tournaments are nice, and it does give opportunity for smaller up-and-coming players in those regions to get a spotlight. But capping things at the regional level also makes it almost impossible to have the best international talent play against each other to see who would really come out as #1 in such a tournament. We'd of never gotten things like EVO 2017, EVO 2018 or the recent RBK events if the tournaments only confined players to their own regions.

So I don't mind regional tournaments for the smaller events in something like Capcom Cup, but the big events? Those should be international, and if that means in-person then that's what it should be. There are ways to do it without increasing the risk factor for players, either, besides we are talking about events with only the players and key tournament venue staff present, no big crowds of people would be present.
True.

Last edited:
This cloud-only thing doesn't make sense. There are zero reasons to drop the previous gen version for a fighting game, since the only difference would be smaller resolution, less detail in models/texture/lighting and longer loading times.

It depends on the scope of the game. As a genre there's still a lot of growing fighting games could do, the current template IMO isn't the limit. For example I'd like more involved, seamless character selection sections that could then seamlessly transition to the fight, meaning you'd have to pick your stage first so that characters could populate the stage. Sure you can say it's superfluous, but it would add a lot to the atmosphere and total package, and as a presentation, probably get a few more people into the game and the experience.

Maybe SF6 specifically will stick closer to what already mostly works though, and that's cool. If they have no plans in certain design choices that'd necessitate 9th-gen as the baseline then maybe make it cross-gen. Though I still think it would be a waste of time, because that means extra resources for last-gen versions that could be directed instead towards polishing 9th-gen only versions of the game.

Design and gameplay can be 100% the same. And the big majority of the players are -and will be for 2-3 years- in the older generation, and specially for balance in ranked online matches is better to have the biggest amount of players possible.

But it being cloud-only for 8th-gen systems won't prevent those players from playing online. Besides, I think the majority of the competitive side of the scene will already have current-gen systems, as they'll want the best possible performance.

People playing SF6 on last-gen systems aren't going to be that competitively-minded, they'd be in it more for the experience of just playing the game and having fun, so the priority for those types would be to ensure enough content is there Day 1. Which, Capcom could focus on more if they don't have to split development between current-gen and last-gen native versions of the game, IMO. They'll still have a large player base regardless.

And if they release it on PC, they will have to scale it down anyways. It's still too soon to make the competitive games next gen only, specially those who aren't super big in terms of playerbase as it is the case of the fighting games.

That's true to an extent, but they can also ensure that on PC the floor is still higher than PS4 and XBO hardware spec. There are already some crossgen games where that is the case, the floor for PC gaming is going to go well beyond 2013 consoles when it comes to AAA gaming. So, it'd be more forgiving on PC even if they have to account for different spec'd configurations.

If you think about in prior gens, 2-3 years was normally enough to make a fighting game exclusive to that current gen. Tekken 6 got a home port in 2007, two years after 360 release and only 1 year after PS3's release. VF5 came to 360 in 2006, a year after the system's launch. DOA4 was at the 360's launch, same with Tekken Tag on PS2 (which was a port of the arcade version released only the year before), etc.

So there's enough precedent to say that by 2023 the time would be good enough to make a new SF 9th-gen only, even amid some shortages. Eventually these systems will need 9th-gen only software to drive further adoption and I doubt shortages last until this fall regardless of some other speculation around.

Which makes me think that if they need a big userbase, they may go F2P this time. Maybe the % of revenue from DLC/IAP/Season Passes in SFV was super high compared to game sales, and players now are ok with GaaS/season based content, so who knows. If the economy is as it has been with SFV, adding maybe some extra cosmetics customization (like being able to select skin color or clothes separatedly as in Tekken), it would be ok for me. In fact, it would be great seeing tons of players from both consoles, both generations and PC together. Including many folks who wouldn't have played SF6 because of the original payment paywall.

Oh yeah, revenue from DLC/IAP/Season Passes was easily more than the revenue they generated from game copy sales. Keep in mind SFV has sold a good portion of its copies at discounts, steep discounts in some cases. A F2P model could work, as long as they don't abuse it, which would probably be best done by providing the Season 1 characters, main single-player modes, base character outfits (their default one) and most of the stages for free. But from there, additional new characters, alternate outfits, extra stages and maybe some (but not all) extra single-player content in future seasons could be offered as purchasable items or as part of a Season Pass.

Or, they don't have to go purely F2P; they could price out the base game at $40 or even a bit less than that, offer some extra costumes and stages that core players are likely to buy, then just do the stuff in the above paragraph for each Season and offer Season Passes for $25 or $30. Midway through the product cycle they package the base game and the first 3 or so Seasons into a Champion Edition.

Not too much different from what they've done with SFV, but the difference this time being a launch that's actually well-received both critically and commercially.

yurinka

It depends on the scope of the game. As a genre there's still a lot of growing fighting games could do, the current template IMO isn't the limit. For example I'd like more involved, seamless character selection sections that could then seamlessly transition to the fight, meaning you'd have to pick your stage first so that characters could populate the stage. Sure you can say it's superfluous, but it would add a lot to the atmosphere and total package, and as a presentation, probably get a few more people into the game and the experience.

Maybe SF6 specifically will stick closer to what already mostly works though, and that's cool. If they have no plans in certain design choices that'd necessitate 9th-gen as the baseline then maybe make it cross-gen. Though I still think it would be a waste of time, because that means extra resources for last-gen versions that could be directed instead towards polishing 9th-gen only versions of the game.
Yep, the scope can be way higher, but Japanese devs and specially with key IPs like this one will be always very conservative. Plus a retarded 'fanbase' full of haters plus haters who are fans of the competition, who always bash the games whatever they do -specially the changes and additions- until the next one gets released and they start to bash the next one and to praise the previous one. With SF it has been the case since SF2 champion Edition.

But this that you mention there are ways to implemnt it even in this previous gen.

But it being cloud-only for 8th-gen systems won't prevent those players from playing online.
There are like 3M in PS Now. Let's be generous and assume there are 6M more in all the other cloud platforms combined (which I really think are 3-4M maximum). That's a total of 10M. Obviously only a small part of them will be interested on fighting game. Not even 1M would play SF6 out of the over 200M players that there are in PS4+XBO+low/mid PC. It doesn't make sense at all in terms of business.

Then there's the input lag of cloud gaming. It's a total unplayable joke for SF for anyone who wants to play it barely seriously. It doesn't makes sense at all in terms of gameplay, specially considering these players would also hurt the experience of the other ones.

Maybe in 10 or 20 years from now yes, but now it doesn't make sense.

Besides, I think the majority of the competitive side of the scene will already have current-gen systems, as they'll want the best possible performance.

People playing SF6 on last-gen systems aren't going to be that competitively-minded, they'd be in it more for the experience of just playing the game and having fun, so the priority for those types would be to ensure enough content is there Day 1. Which, Capcom could focus on more if they don't have to split development between current-gen and last-gen native versions of the game, IMO. They'll still have a large player base regardless.
Making a game crossgen won't affect the experience. For the cases we already have, they prefer to play on PS4 because it has 1 frame less of input lag than when playing in next gen (something that I think will improve in the future).

Development isn't split between different gens: they make an scalable game for PC and for one version they choose some PC settings and for the other one they choose other settings. There's only a tiny platorm specific part regarding trophies and stuf like that.

That's true to an extent, but they can also ensure that on PC the floor is still higher than PS4 and XBO hardware spec. There are already some crossgen games where that is the case, the floor for PC gaming is going to go well beyond 2013 consoles when it comes to AAA gaming. So, it'd be more forgiving on PC even if they have to account for different spec'd configurations.
They have a business, it would be stupid to skip the platforms where over 80% of their players will be at launch. It will be available on PS4, XBO and low/mid PCs.

If you think about in prior gens, 2-3 years was normally enough to make a fighting game exclusive to that current gen.
Many time ago I mentioned SF6 was going to release in February 2023. It's the same time between SF5 and 6 that happened between 4 and 5. And it's also the same time since PS5 release and the game than happened with SFV and PS4 and between SFIV and PS3.

But there are two differences between this generation transition and the previous ones: the first one is that budgets every generation go up: SF2 was made by around 20 devs, and over 20 studios did work on SFIV. This mean that nowadays they need to send way more and find more revenue sources, so this is why they go GaaS or try to release it in all the platforms they can.

The second is that the hardware is pretty similar but more powerful and the engines the same, so to make crossgen games is way cheaper and faster. So genres like this one where the next gen entries will be the same but with better visuals and shorter loading times will try crossgen at least until the next gen userbase becomes big enough.

Oh yeah, revenue from DLC/IAP/Season Passes was easily more than the revenue they generated from game copy sales. Keep in mind SFV has sold a good portion of its copies at discounts, steep discounts in some cases. A F2P model could work, as long as they don't abuse it, which would probably be best done by providing the Season 1 characters, main single-player modes, base character outfits (their default one) and most of the stages for free. But from there, additional new characters, alternate outfits, extra stages and maybe some (but not all) extra single-player content in future seasons could be offered as purchasable items or as part of a Season Pass.

Or, they don't have to go purely F2P; they could price out the base game at $40 or even a bit less than that, offer some extra costumes and stages that core players are likely to buy, then just do the stuff in the above paragraph for each Season and offer Season Passes for $25 or $30. Midway through the product cycle they package the base game and the first 3 or so Seasons into a Champion Edition.

Not too much different from what they've done with SFV, but the difference this time being a launch that's actually well-received both critically and commercially.
Yes, I think they can adapt to F2P following a similar monetization strategy in terms of unlockables and IAP that they had in SFV. Basically what you get now if you buy vanilla SFV (16 chars + all game modes) you'd get it for free.

Maybe also adding for each season another(s) season passes in addition to the one for characters. They could make a cosmetics season pass for costumes, colors and parts, and a stages & UI season pass.

And in addition to the F2P SKU they also could have a full priced one that would be basically the F2P version + the first 5 season passes for characters.

Yep, the scope can be way higher, but Japanese devs and specially with key IPs like this one will be always very conservative. Plus a retarded 'fanbase' full of haters plus haters who are fans of the competition, who always bash the games whatever they do -specially the changes and additions- until the next one gets released and they start to bash the next one and to praise the previous one. With SF it has been the case since SF2 champion Edition.

I'm not concerned with haters and trolls when it comes to SF; that stuff you're talking about, as you indicate, it's been happening for decades. Just something which comes with the territory. I do agree that Japanese developers tend to be more conservative with "shaking up the formula" for established IP, which is unfortunate. At the same time, it means there's a foundation they can continue to solidify, which is crucial.

If Capcom don't want to push the creative envelope too much with SF6, at least bring back something like Power Stone, or try a new fighting/action IP where they can innovate on these ideas, if they're afraid of alienating the SF core base with them.

There are like 3M in PS Now. Let's be generous and assume there are 6M more in all the other cloud platforms combined (which I really think are 3-4M maximum). That's a total of 10M. Obviously only a small part of them will be interested on fighting game. Not even 1M would play SF6 out of the over 200M players that there are in PS4+XBO+low/mid PC. It doesn't make sense at all in terms of business.

If Sony go through with Spartacus and integrate some form of Now into PS+, on the PlayStation front, this problem immediately resolves itself. On Xbox, they already have Xcloud, though it's tied to GPU. That is still a decent number of people the game would be available to though. Then there are other game streaming services like Nvidia's, Stadia, Luna etc.

If a more casual player is ready to move on from 8th-gen but not quite willing to pony up for 9th-gen hardware yet, then they'll want to go play it through a subscription streaming service. If they want to take the game more seriously, they'll buy a current-gen system, and by the time SF6 releases they will be more readily available. It wouldn't matter too much if player base on 8th-gen hardware and low-end PCs via streaming is low, because that would just mean more of them preferred to play it natively on a PS5, Xbox Series, or decently spec'd PC.

Then there's the input lag of cloud gaming. It's a total unplayable joke for SF for anyone who wants to play it barely seriously. It doesn't makes sense at all in terms of gameplay, specially considering these players would also hurt the experience of the other ones.

Right, but the thing it the audience who'd prefer to play it via the cloud, don't care about input lag, because they probably don't care about the game in any serious capacity when it comes to competitive play. They just want to have fun and beat things up, so as long as it feels "good enough", they're content. The more competitive side of the base will opt to get a 9th-gen console or ensure their PC is good enough, to run the game natively.

As for those playing via cloud online against those on native solutions, the fix is simple: allow players to filter out device types to be matched up against. If you don't want to play against players who are on the cloud, just filter them out. Capcom could still provide incentives to encourage cross-platform play, but if the option is there then those truly bothered by the concept don't have to partake in it.

Making a game crossgen won't affect the experience. For the cases we already have, they prefer to play on PS4 because it has 1 frame less of input lag than when playing in next gen (something that I think will improve in the future).

That's more due to SFV's engine, not a limitation of PS5 hardware. The history of reducing the input buffer in SFV has been...interesting...to say the least.

Development isn't split between different gens: they make an scalable game for PC and for one version they choose some PC settings and for the other one they choose other settings. There's only a tiny platorm specific part regarding trophies and stuf like that.

I mean in terms of what the floor is; the 'floor' for the game on PC will absolutely be higher than PS4 and XBO base specs, that is a given. So if you're talking about which "floor" potentially holds the game back more, it's not going to be the PC. SF6 being scalable on PC would not impact PS5 and Xbox Series versions as much as it being scalable to PS4 & XBO spec.

They have a business, it would be stupid to skip the platforms where over 80% of their players will be at launch. It will be available on PS4, XBO and low/mid PCs.

But fighters in previous gens had no issue skipping over older systems within the 2-3 year window of a gen. Tekken Tag did it at launch on PS2, Soul Calibur did it at launch on Dreamcast, VF5 did it with 360, Tekken 6 did it, etc. All of those games ignored millions of people on the then-prior gen systems, but were okay in the long run for doing so.

At some point games have to start really cutting off the previous gen in order to drive adoption to the newer hardware. If 2023 isn't that year, then when is that year going to happen? Also keep in mind a SF6 supporting PS4 and XBO natively, will have to continue supporting them natively until at least 2028. At that point you absolutely can't say that 2012 hardware isn't holding the game back.

Many time ago I mentioned SF6 was going to release in February 2023. It's the same time between SF5 and 6 that happened between 4 and 5. And it's also the same time since PS5 release and the game than happened with SFV and PS4 and between SFIV and PS3.

But there are two differences between this generation transition and the previous ones: the first one is that budgets every generation go up: SF2 was made by around 20 devs, and over 20 studios did work on SFIV. This mean that nowadays they need to send way more and find more revenue sources, so this is why they go GaaS or try to release it in all the platforms they can.

The second is that the hardware is pretty similar but more powerful and the engines the same, so to make crossgen games is way cheaper and faster. So genres like this one where the next gen entries will be the same but with better visuals and shorter loading times will try crossgen at least until the next gen userbase becomes big enough.

I think this is just where I feel a lack of innovation in the genre, or at least the next Street Fighter, could come about. Fighting games have become increasingly niche every generation, outside of Smash Bros. Part of that reason might be due to so many sticking so close to a template that was perfected more or less by the mid-1990s'.

IMO there is so much more that can be done to innovate in the design space of fighting game genre, while staying true to its roots. Some of this depends on various types of content, others would focus on the structure of fighting mechanics themselves, etc. But if genre devs just keep having the perception that this type of innovation isn't something worth attempting, then overall I'm afraid the genre will continue to become more niche, the way shmups have.

And another thing that irritates me somewhat is the giant eSports angle the genre has been pushing into. There's been good stuff to come from that, but it's also cut some into the grassroots of the FGC scene. It's also IMO hampered some of the creative possibilities of fighters because things have to be "eSports-friendly" now. That won't just lead to certain types of overzealous censorship, but just some wackier ideas not making the cut because they may be perceived as too "crazy" or "unconventional" from the standard mold.

I know that doesn't directly address some of the things you just mentioned, but I wanted to share more of my own frustration with the genre as a whole and felt that was a decent enough opportunity to do so.

Yes, I think they can adapt to F2P following a similar monetization strategy in terms of unlockables and IAP that they had in SFV. Basically what you get now if you buy vanilla SFV (16 chars + all game modes) you'd get it for free.

This is something we can probably agree on as a whole; IIRC DoA6 tried a F2P model as well, but it was marred by a couple other controversies. SF6 aught to be able to avoid those, and make the model work very well.

Maybe also adding for each season another(s) season passes in addition to the one for characters. They could make a cosmetics season pass for costumes, colors and parts, and a stages & UI season pass.

And in addition to the F2P SKU they also could have a full priced one that would be basically the F2P version + the first 5 season passes for characters.

As long as they price those item-specific Season Passes right, I don't see the issue and it would offer more choice granularity for players and potentially more revenue for Capcom on the game. It could also encourage more unique purchasable content of various category types. Win-win for players and Capcom.

That said, a full-priced version of the game with F2P + 5 Seasons worth of characters, that'd either have to wait a few years, or if you're talking at launch, they'd only have Season 1 chars and maybe have redeem codes for Season 2 chars (but only with base costumes) and all Season 1 content.

It gets dicey when considering if they they should have the character roster be fully available for free (else they might risk splitting the player base, though competitive-minded players would end up buying the characters anyway most likely), and make all alternate outfits and cosmetics purchasable items, or do it more like SFV has with a base roster and extra characters coming in as additional purchases. SFV didn't have an issue with cosmetics so the first option could work well for 6, and they get to do item-themed Season Passes like for stages, themed costumes etc. as you've mentioned.

Top Bottom