• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 188 36.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 49 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Fair enough about XIII linearity, I'll give you that. It was pretty bad, but I still wish XVI did more open world stuff. As for Destiny 2, you probably barely played the game at all too or have a warped memory of the game as well.

Nah, I played enough up to Shadowkeep. The game is shit :D

Doomtrain

XIII has no world map at all. You can't ever revisit previous areas. The game is quite literally a big tunnel. It has no towns. With a few exceptions, up until the final endgame area, it doesn't even have branching paths in dungeons to get chests or anything. XVI might not be open-world, but it's nowhere near as linear as XIII was.

Hugare

Our boy ShillUp who's usually on the money with his reviews is not having a good time. At all.

I watch pretty much all of his reviews, but saying that he is usually on the money ... I cant agree with that

Dude hated TLOU Part II, ffs. A game that many people loved (including me) and has 93 MC score.

So his opinions can be a little hit and miss for me.

But I listen to him anyway, 'cause even when I disagree with him on something, he expresses his sentiments really well

Its the reason why I'm watching his review right now despite not agreeing with his opinion about the game, at all (so far)

EDIT: Stoped watching 'cause some of his opinions were honestly really bad. "I didnt have the same problem with Yakuza, because there I was enjoying the story"

So instead of being objective, it became just a matter of not feeling it

Last edited:
I watch pretty much all of his reviews, but saying that he is usually on the money ... I cant agree with that

Dude hated TLOU Part II, ffs. A game that many people loved (including me) and has 93 MC score.

But I listen to him anyway, 'cause even when I disagree with him on something, he expresses his sentiments really well

Its the reason why I'm watching his review right now despite not agreeing with his opinion about the game, at all (so far)

EDIT: Stoped watching 'cause some of his opinions were honestly really bad. "I didnt have the same problem with Yakuza, because there I was enjoying the story"

Yeah his take on this is baffling

I’m gripped with the story and lore in this game

Sounds like he is one of those people that can’t accept a game that doesn’t jive with their expectations of the series

Last edited:
I’ve seen quite a few people on Twitter saying this game already has multiple top sections in gaming ever and I guess they mean the Eikon bits? They look cool but the three I’ve done so far have basically been cutscenes - definitely not peak anything for me.

The OTT influencer reaction makes me think either Square had some left over marketing budget to hand out or people really love flashy shit with no substance.

I‘m loving the normal combat and enjoying the story but this is like a Tales of Arise level game for me and not some genre defining masterpiece.

Last edited:
I’ve seen quite a few people on Twitter saying this game already has multiple top sections in gaming ever and I guess they mean the Eikon bits? They look cool but the three I’ve done so far have basically been cutscenes - definitely not peak anything for me.

They are some of the top action set pieces in gaming.

They are something to look forward to after completing a boss fight. Final fantasy games have always been about rewarding the player with a spectacular sequence after a big fight

No one is claiming they’re not “superficial”, they’re cool as shit to watch play out in real time

Raven117

Give me all the FF hate! Give me those salty tears. Tell me it isn't Final Fantasy. Tell me its not a "JRPG." Just...mainline it in there.

For me, this is the best FF has been in decades (excluding FFXIV). The whole ethos of Final Fantasy is that they can be new. They can be what the creator wants it to be.

Hugare

Let's be real here. TLOU2's 93 was propped up by two things - woke journalism that seems to exist at all levels now in the video game space, and PlayStation defenders that are trying to protect their brand. You remove all of the transgender, lesbian, muscular woman (etc.) subplots, or make it non-exclusive to PlayStation, and suddenly nobody would be defending that trash dump of a story. Dude was spot on about TLOU2, and he's spot on again with his FFXVI review. Skill Up don't miss.
"Only a ignorant sith deals in absolutes", as Obi-Wan once said

SEGA could have been the one to make TLOU 2, for all I care, and I would have still think the same about it

The story was divisive, but there are tons of aspects of that game that should be objectively considered as one of the best, if not the best in gaming: soundtrack, visuals, acting, mocap performances, animation, design and etc. Pretty much everything besides the story, that is an entirely subjective point of discussion.

I didnt enjoy my time with Nier Automata, for example, but I recognize all the things that it does right.

If you arent objective in your analyzes, then I dont give a damn about them. SkillUp usually get this right, but not this time, imo.

Now, back on topic, 'cause there's been enough discussion about TLOU already, and I should have known better before mentioning it

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Give me all the FF hate! Give me those salty tears. Tell me it isn't Final Fantasy. Tell me its not a "JRPG." Just...mainline it in there.

For me, this is the best FF has been in decades (excluding FFXIV). The whole ethos of Final Fantasy is that they can be new. They can be what the creator wants it to be.

I’m just few hours in but together with FF7R this is really a fine tailored FF experience with all the right elements fitting right in. After that disaster of FFXV we’re lucky both Square Business main Units are kicking asses so hard!

Freeman76

XIII has no world map at all. You can't ever revisit previous areas. The game is quite literally a big tunnel. It has no towns. With a few exceptions, up until the final endgame area, it doesn't even have branching paths in dungeons to get chests or anything. XVI might not be open-world, but it's nowhere near as linear as XIII was.
Lol WHAT????

This is so factually innacurate I just have to assume you havent played both of them, or maybe havent played either of them.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Reviews are a combination of objectivity and personal feelings. He says in the review that he misses a lot of things other FF games did that was stripped out of this title. And he counter the argument that people will say "It's just FF evolving" at the end of the review.

I still haven't started it yet, I'll judge for myself, but I am someone who does miss old school FF styles and I miss them dearly. Outside of FFVII Remake, I haven't truly enjoyed a FF title since FFX. And even FFX isn't in my top 5 of the series or anything.

FF is evolving and people don't have to like it and it can reflect in their reviews, there's nothing wrong with that. You don't have to judge a game for what it is if you don't want to.

GymWolf

Let's be real here. TLOU2's 93 was propped up by two things - woke journalism that seems to exist at all levels now in the video game space, and PlayStation defenders that are trying to protect their brand. You remove all of the transgender, lesbian, muscular woman (etc.) subplots, or make it non-exclusive to PlayStation, and suddenly nobody would be defending that trash dump of a story. Dude was spot on about TLOU2, and he's spot on again with his FFXVI review. Skill Up don't miss.
The dude talk about challenge and combat systems in the games he review after playing on normal even when there are 2-3-4 more difficult modes, so yeah he never fail to make me laugh when he talk about those things.

If you can't come to the realization of why that is bad practise for a reviewer, just know that most games with good combat systems shine at the hardest difficulty (FF16 being just the latest example but this time is not his fault) and judgying the challenge of a game on normal that in most modern games is basically easy button mash mode is as moronic as it comes, casual players already know that easy and normal are kiddy mode, he should inform us about how much hard the game can be for people who search for a challenge.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The OTT influencer reaction makes me think either Square had some left over marketing budget to hand out or people really love flashy shit with no substance.

I‘m loving the normal combat and enjoying the story but this is like a Tales of Arise level game for me and not some genre defining masterpiece.
It's divisive, some people love these gow moments with bombastic battles, some like us think they are all spectacle and no substance (while still enjoying them for what they are)

It seems like we are the minority:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I'm not gonna bash the game for trying that but yeah, for me they are the pinnacle of spectacle, sure as hell not pinnacle of anything else.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
The dude talk about challenge and combat systems in the games he review after playing on normal even when there are 2-3-4 more difficult modes, so yeah he never fail to make me laugh when he talk about those things.

If you can't come to the realization of why that is bad practise for a reviewer, just know that most games with good combat systems shine at the hardest difficulty (FF16 being just the latest example but this time is not his fault) and judgying the challenge of a game on normal that in most modern games is basically easy button mash mode is as moronic as it comes.
The game is like 40 hours minimum. You expect people to play through the game multiple times?

It's like git gud turned on it's head. "Ohhhh, the standard and only available difficulty is too easy huh!? Well beat the game a few times and then come back and talk to me...."

Beyond parody at this point.

GymWolf

The game is like 40 hours minimum. You expect people to play through the game multiple times?

It's like git gud turned on it's head. "Ohhhh, the standard and only available difficulty is too easy huh!? Well beat the game a few times and then come back and talk to me...."

Beyond parody at this point.
Did you just missed the part where i said that ff16 is specifically not his fault but he does the same with games that already have 2-3-4 difficulty mode avaialble during the first run?

He should try the game on the hardest mode or at the very least hard mode since we know that easy and normal are...well...easy.

I'm the first one bashing ff16 for being a cakewalk (for now) and not having an hard mode for the first run, i have like 20 post about that, you picked the wrong guy.

From the post i quoted and the way i responded i thought it was clear that i was talking in general about his reviews...

wow my english really turned into shit today uh?

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Reviews are a combination of objectivity and personal feelings. He says in the review that he misses a lot of things other FF games did that was stripped out of this title. And he counter the argument that people will say "It's just FF evolving" at the end of the review.

I still haven't started it yet, I'll judge for myself, but I am someone who does miss old school FF styles and I miss them dearly. Outside of FFVII Remake, I haven't truly enjoyed a FF title since FFX. And even FFX isn't in my top 5 of the series or anything.

FF is evolving and people don't have to like it and it can reflect in their reviews, there's nothing wrong with that. You don't have to judge a game for what it is if you don't want to.
lol, I can't wait to see what you think of XVI. Hope I see the post when you get around to it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
lol, I can't wait to see what you think of XVI. Hope I see the post when you get around to it.
I'm starting it after I finish my current game. I already have a hunch of how I'll feel about it. I think I'll probably enjoy it somewhat as an action game, but hate it as an FF game.

But I don't really like straight action games very much. I hated Valkyrie Elysium, I just thought it wasn't very good. I thought it was going to be more RPG-ish, they made it almost all action. Even games like God of War and Horizon have a lot of RPG elements in them, and exploration which made me like those games. This seems like it has even less than those games.

I'll find out soon enough and post thoughts in the OT.

Last edited:

Raven117

I’m just few hours in but together with FF7R this is really a fine tailored FF experience with all the right elements fitting right in. After that disaster of FFXV we’re lucky both Square Business main Units are kicking asses so hard!
Yup. I mean, its fine not to like a game. You can still recognize the quality (even if its not for you). I always point to BotW...it just didnt' click with me. I still recognize the quality of the game.

saintjules

I mean that's just it though. Those are his opinions.

Whenever I watch videos like this I just take it as a different perspective to someone's else's mind/feelings because, well, we're not all the same. I can understand for a majority of his reasons why he felt this way. It's very well possible that these feelings are coming from a path of games he has played in the past that we may not have experienced ourselves and gave him the "oh not this shit again" feeling.

I remember at first I was getting annoyed by reviewers and others' thoughts about how Death Stranding was at launch. Giant Bomb's review of that made me feel the way you talked about SkillUp's. Over time though I understood why Giant Bomb felt the way they did.

There's nothing wrong with their perspective of a game. I'll just take their thoughts into account when I listen, but it will never be the deciding factor as to whether or not I'm buying a game. I have to feel if it is. And I do so by looking at gameplay videos.

When I watch gameplay videos and Trailers, I say:

Can I see myself playing this game?

Can I tolerate endless cutscenes?

Can I get past the mind-numbing sidequests?

Can I get past the grinding?

Now...if everyone was saying the game was 2/10 for similar reasons for example, I'll pay more close attention, but I'll make the call at the day and not by a reviewer's thoughts.

Last edited:

muno

Neo Member
To the people who say "trust Opencritic" when regarding FF16 reviews, have you finished the game? Why does this game automatically derseve a 90-95? I'm 30 hours in and the game is 75% cutscenes and 25% fetch quests. As a huge fan of FF14 and YoshiP, this game has way too many problems to deserve it.

ill i will say is i saw this coming from a mile away from being saying that the performance in the demo is from a old build, the extremely lack of any RPG mechanics shown at all during its entire marketing run, doesn't want to be a jrpg and ff14 stans saying you need to move on im not surprised. I dont mind the gameplay in ff16 since its pretty much a character action game but i get peoples complaints. I see people bringing up tales of games, yakuza, nier, ect but those games all have more rpg mechanics then 16 the fact that the quest in 16 flow like 14 is a giant red flag I knew they would yoshi-p should of like platnum and KH tokyko do the quest since the quest in both of the new nier games and KH are superior to anything in ff14 in terms of side content by far. The game being easy on the base difficulty is insane since even DMC5 on devil hunter can be hard at times if you have no idea what your doing but the game at that level will still put up a fight same with Nier and tales of games. KH3 re did there difficulty options since the base game and how it shipped was to easy re-mind fixed it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
To the people who say "trust Opencritic" when regarding FF16 reviews, have you finished the game? Why does this game automatically derseve a 90-95? I'm 30 hours in and the game is 75% cutscenes and 25% fetch quests. As a huge fan of FF14 and YoshiP, this game has way too many problems to deserve it.
I am about 60 hours in, only 3 eikons. Game has been 25% Cinematics, 75% gameplay.

Also no, never trust any review aggregate site. Just watch gameplay, see trailers, get a general idea of what the game is and if its up your alley. Stop putting stock into aggregate sites. They mean literally nothing on game quality. If they did, then TLOU2 would be an amazing game and NieR would be a shite game, not hte other way around.

SaniOYOYOY

idk what to say, if a fan claimed he/she was there since 9 all the way to 7 remake and get baffled because the combat system is always diffrent. Are you really an ff fan in general or a fan of a specific ff game.

having said that I do miss 13 stlye of turn based, wishing 17 goes back there.

Neolombax

I played a whole lot last night, up until the conclusion of the 2nd Eikon battle. I sort of already have an expectation that its not going to be your typical final fantasy experience. I can hardly call it a proper RPG either, its more Kingdom Hearts really. Accessories can sort of try to suit your playstyle a but its really really minor, so far anyway.

I'm enjoying the experience, the Eikon battles are God of War level boss battles in scale, but in between those, you have side missions like bringing wood planks from one side of the map to another lol. Havent unlocked any of those hunts mission or what not, the maps are so far quite linear and thats with the game menu saying I've completed 29% of the game. So far the game reminds me a lot of Tales of Arise, but I feel like Tales of Arise's open hub maps are bigger in the earlier parts of the game.

Story wise I'm still very much invested in Clive's journey. Personally I feel the writing is strong with very good performances overall. I think the difficulty is just challenging enough for me playing in action mode. The only convenience ring I've used so far is the one that automates Torgal, but Ive recently removed it to put on other skill boosting accessories.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I would agree, but he kind of does miss on rare occasions.

Then really loves some random af shit...he's a bit here and there on taste: but his descriptions of said taste are best in show.

Varteras

Gold Member
Some people get too caught up in this. The game has 23 perfect scores on Metacritic. Diablo 4 has 14. Hi-Fi Rush has 10. Street Fighter 6 has 27. Zelda has..... look, that's not important. What's important is that plenty of critics think the game is amazing.

Vroadstar

Literally gave a standing ovation to my laptop. I salute you Microsoft.

I was pretty excited for this, but man did it leave me underwhelmed. Everything is just so brown and grey, and already feels incredibly linear. The graphics are great in moments, but at times look just on par with 15. Probably gonna wait for a sale now.

Biggest PS5 exclusive this year not cracking 90? Sony gonna be mad…

Gamepass really is the best deal in gaming. Microsoft haters gonna hate.

Some people get too caught up in this. The game has 23 perfect scores on Metacritic. Diablo 4 has 14. Hi-Fi Rush has 10. Street Fighter 6 has 27. Zelda has..... look, that's not important. What's important is that plenty of critics think the game is amazing.

Varteras Varteras sometimes it's not actually the review itself but the warriors/trolls who come out of the woodwork & have no intention to play the game fighting the good fight. The keyword "Sony exclusive" is like a bell ringing and out they come.

Guilty_AI

I think the problem is many people thought this would be "THE GRAND RETURN OF FINAL FANTASY TO ITS FORM" or in some cases "THE GOTY TO BEAT EVEN ZELDA". They wanted nothing short of stellar reviews that would put it right up there with the classics of the classics among Final Fantasies.

Then it scores not much different from FF7R&I. Opinions on the game, divided. Most agreeing its a good game but not reaching a consesus on it being a magnificent one.

Then you have a couple of dumb reviews from big outlets throwing even more oil into the firepit.

Varteras

Gold Member
Varteras Varteras sometimes it's not actually the review itself but the warriors/trolls who come out of the woodwork & have no intention to play the game fighting the good fight. The keyword "Sony exclusive" is like a bell ringing and out they come.

I think the problem is many people thought this would be "THE GRAND RETURN OF FINAL FANTASY TO ITS FORM" or in some cases "THE GOTY TO BEAT EVEN ZELDA". They wanted nothing short of stellar reviews that would put it right up there with the classics of the classics among Final Fantasies.

Then it scores not much different from FF7R&I. Opinions on the game, divided. Most agreeing its a good game but not reaching a consesus on it being a magnificent one.

Then you have a couple of dumb reviews from big outlets throwing even more oil into the firepit.

I know. Was just trying to bring a slight bit of levity into the thread. Just report trolls. They get reported enough, the mods can't ignore it. They're just miserable people anyways. Maybe a little pity would help.

Vroadstar

I don't think the opinions about the game are divided, as Varteras mentioned, plenty of critics and players who already played the game think it's amazing (I'm one of them, and just trying to finish Diablo 4 to play this.)

Out of the 110 reviews, 100 are positive and only 8 are mixed, so that is not a divided opinion at all.

There will always be differing opinions about any game, even the best-reviewed, sold-the-most, GOTY material. At the end of the day, if you enjoyed it and then all differing opinions don't matter.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I don't think the opinions about the game are divided, as Varteras mentioned, plenty of critics and players who already played the game think it's amazing (I'm one of them, and just trying to finish Diablo 4 to play this.)

Out of the 110 reviews, 100 are positive and only 8 are mixed, so that is not a divided opinion at all.

There will always be differing opinions about any game, even the best-reviewed, sold-the-most, GOTY material. At the end of the day, if you enjoyed it and then all differing opinions don't matter.
I still see plenty of people giving valid criticism to the game, and among the positive ones many are 9/10 or 8/10 (and we all know what these scores mean as per this image).

Vroadstar

I still see plenty of people giving valid criticism to the game, and among the positive ones many are 9/10 or 8/10 (and we all know what these scores mean as per this image).

Having only played the demo myself at this time, I agree, there are valid criticisms, even the best games have them. For me, it's too much blur in graphics/fidelity mode (not sure if they fixed it already). But divided opinions as you mentioned, not really.

My point is, which is why I quoted Varteras, from what I played so far, the game is amazing but some are just too focused on the 8 negative reviews discounting the 100 positive ones or 88 review scores like it's a bad game.

I've seen reports of not enough "pre-orders" or the worst I've read, PS5 overheating because of Eikon battle, they are clearly FUD some sectors propagate simply because it's an exclusive game, same here in the review section, there are valid criticisms
and then there are the usual suspects warriors/trolls.

Last edited:
I definitely don't agree with Skill Ups overall conclusion but I also definitely don't agree with the 10/10 reviews as there's too much wrong with the game imo.

I don't mind the move to action but they have streamlined things way too far imo. Even in GOW and Horizon your gear can completely change your playstyle but here it's like do you want the sword that adds 160 attack or the one that adds 165. I knew it was action orientated going in and in fact the combat is way better than I expected but I still thought there would be worthwhile loot and actual meaningful choices to make.

The world is really mediocre imo. They have sat on the fence between linear and open and just given us the worst of both worlds. The more open world bits are completely unambitious even compared to a Switch game like Xenoblade Chronicles 3 There's nothing to see or do other than fight trash mobs, there are no npcs to talk to, no buildings to enter, no point exploring.

The side quests have been completely lame so far. I get that not every Witcher 3 sidequest was a banger but these could be dropped into an early 2000s MMORPG without looking out of place.

The linear bits are no where near the fidelity of something like Demon Souls and are no where near as interesting as something like TLOU and so far have just been corridors lacking any interesting gameplay or set pieces. I kind of wish they had just gone all in on linear and made levels with absurd detail and memorable set pieces.

I'm guessing the crazy set pieces people are talking about are the Eikon fights but so far these have been glorified cut scenes. Really impressive looking cutscenes no doubt but I want games to at least make you feel like you are in control like that wall jumping portal bit in Jedi Survivor - I want sweaty palms afterwards and a feeling like "well that was awesome but thank fuck it's over".

I know 10/10 doesn't mean perfect but this game feels so dated in so many areas that there's too much for me to ignore.

I'm probably only 25% of the way through judging by what people have been saying about playtimes but things would have to totally change for me to be giving this a 10/10. If the game changes my mind later on I'm happy to eat crow though. I said before release that the combat looked laughably bad and I couldn't have been more wrong as it is brilliant.

It obviously a good game with really fantastic combat and, so far, a really well done story but I play loads of games that I'd have to admit are 7 or 8 out of 10 at maximum because I really enjoy certain elements of them and this is what FF16 feels like to me.

There's nothing terribly wrong with anything in FF16 it's just that large parts are mediocre. Witcher 3 for me is 90% amazing with 10% being absolutely terrible (the completely shit combat), I can get past that. This game is like 50% amazing and 50% mediocre which is harder to forgive.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Yep. Straight from Kitase himself, director of VI, VII, VIII, and X:

FF can be whatever. Even Sakagichi once suggested something similar, that its still FF as long as the menus are blue lol (CoD campaigns are awesome btw)

Yep. Straight from Kitase himself, director of VI, VII, VIII, and X:

FF can be whatever. Even Sakagichi once suggested something similar, that its still FF as long as the menus are blue lol (CoD campaigns are awesome btw)
They already made Dirge of Cerberus, it's only a perspective change from third to first person away from becoming a shooter

Top Bottom