• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 188 36.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 49 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Come on dude. FFXVI looks like a CG cutscene half the time and it still is getting criticism for visuals/performance not being good enough. XC3 looks like a PS2 game and it doesn’t get docked any points for it?

XC3 probably is a great game, but it’s obvious to anyone that Nintendo games get a free pass in a lot of categories. Meanwhile other games have to excel in all the same categories plus story, cinematography, visual fidelity, performance, etc.

If I was a graphics dev I would just be so pissed that I spent several years fine-tuning my game’s visuals and was still met with harsh criticism, meanwhile Nintendo games come out looking and performing like absolute shit and yet still get 10s.

This is patently retarded. XBC3 looks amazing for its platform. So does FFXVI. Suggesting reviewers should shit on a game because it doesn't look as good as consoles 5x as powerful as it? Nah, mate. Try again.

Rush2112

Banned
I have 30 hours logged in FF16 and it's going to take something absolutely incredible for me to forgive the problems I already have with FF16 and say it's better than XC3. XC3 is just the better RPG, no question.
only if you’re into anime. There’s no fucking way, in heaven or hell, that someone who dislikes anime would enjoy xenofuckwhatever.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
only if you’re into anime. There’s no fucking way, in heaven or hell, that someone who dislikes anime would enjoy xenofuckwhatever.
Thats true with 90% of JRPG, this also gonna be true with Granblue Fantasy and Persona 3 Reload and Metaphor.

This might sound rude but if someone doesn't like anime, what hell are they doing playing JRPG?

drganon

Thats true with 90% of JRPG, this also gonna be true with Granblue Fantasy and Persona 3 Reload and Metaphor.

This might sound rude but if someone doesn't like anime, what hell are they doing playing JRPG?
I've known people who like anime but aren't into jrpgs, but the opposite I've never encountered .

I guess they are exceptions but to me JRPGs being "anime" is never negative points, I mean personally got in to them because I love anime.
I can see how it could be detrimental "too animeish". But I can't personally think of any. I liked Xenoblade OK, it's no Xenogears but it was solid.

But I can see how you'd get into them from liking anime also.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
just play katawa shoujo
I dont want to derail this thread so just say this, the reason I dont like most Full VN games because most of the time they have very static background with static character portrait which to me is very boring.

mishashizune.jpg

Now compare to 13 Sentinels and you see people moving you see cars moving and character have proper animation, it feels alive.
3736363-13sentinels_aegisrim_20200913204050.jpg

Guilty_AI

I dont want to derail this thread so just say this, the reason I dont like most Full VN games because most of the time they have very static background with static character portrait which to me is very boring.

mishashizune.jpg

Now compare to 13 Sentinels and you see people moving you see cars moving and character have proper animation, it feels alive.
Oh well, your loss.

FF reviews, carry on

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm sad it couldn't maintain a 90 on OC.
I have faith it'll be back to 90, last few reviews on MC brought it back from 87 to 88, 93/100/90 - OC seems to be slightly behind MC in terms of the review logging. It's like a race i do, occasional refresh of the old page during the day, I call it "catch up horsee" or some shit I just made up.

Sleepwalker

I'm still early part of the game, i wouldn't say it crushing difficulty but it not were near brain dead easy compare to FFVIIR normal difficulty, especially the fact you only have limited healing items.
Yeah I had a couple fights where I almost died after using all potions. Still in early game, now admittedly im not the greatest at action games.

Also I equipped the ring that makes the pet attack automatically, I found micromanaging that to be annoying.

This will be the first final fantasy I finish because it’s so rpg lite. This might be the first game I finish in years - I always something simple, straight forward, something easy to pick up after a week of not playing and this is it. Awesome story too

decisions

This is patently retarded. XBC3 looks amazing for its platform. So does FFXVI. Suggesting reviewers should shit on a game because it doesn't look as good as consoles 5x as powerful as it? Nah, mate. Try again.
Eh I disagree, I don’t think it’s ridiculous for reviewers to judge games while comparing to other platforms that are competing in the same space, at the same time, at a similar price point.

But that’s not really what I was gettint at anyway. What I’m suggesting is that Nintendo games are judged differently than other games. You can either criticize both TOTK and FFXVI for poor performance, or you can say that gameplay is king and graphics don’t matter for both of them.

What is disingenuous is pretending that it’s unbiased for TOTK to not have graphics factored into its scores whatsoever, and then have FFXVI lose points because its framerate drops sometimes. It means the scale is completely broken and no one should care about review scores.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Eh I disagree, I don’t think it’s ridiculous for reviewers to judge games while comparing to other platforms that are competing in the same space, at the same time, at a similar price point.

But that’s not really what I was gettint at anyway. What I’m suggesting is that Nintendo games are judged differently than other games. You can either criticize both TOTK and FFXVI for poor performance, or you can say that gameplay is king and graphics don’t matter for both of them.

What is disingenuous is pretending that it’s unbiased for TOTK to not have graphics factored into its scores whatsoever, and then have FFXVI lose points because its framerate drops sometimes. It means the scale is completely broken and no one should care about review scores.

Once again: Nah, mate. Try again.

TOTK looks fantastic on Switch and it is a technical marvel that it runs as well as it does. Your idiotic takes here doesn't change the fact that Switch games should be measured and reviewed based on Switch hardware and shouldn't get negative marks because "oh it does't look as nice as this shiny PS5 game". Also FFXVI and TOTK don't have poor performance. Try again.

Fredrik

A review is one person summarizing their experience doing a playthrough, scores can go up or down for whatever reason. Don’t look into it too deeply or you might find out that there is no general unbiased objective review scale and it’s just one person putting a number on a playthrough experience affected by their highly subjective opinion and taste in games.

GymWolf

Maybe I'm terrible at video games but it's not easy.
I'm 4+ hours in, 5 boss down and i still have to get close to die once.

I usually die hundreds and hundreds ot times in hard games so i'm hardly untochable...

The game for now is great but also a cakewalk.

Last edited:

Porticus

I usually die hundreds and hundreds ot times in hard games so i'm hardly untochable...

Noooo but you didn't see those streamers dying during a boss fight?

GymWolf

Noooo but you didn't see those streamers dying during a boss fight?
Jokes apart, i think that every dude with a bit of experience with action games saw the writing on the wall after the demo in terms of challenge.

You seems pretty jaded about the game my dude, how so?

EDMIX

mishashizune.jpg

Truth.

The only thing I had against 13 Sentinels is I wanted more interactivity with that world like you get with Persona series, I hope we get another game like it by Vanillaware.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Sounds like you're a natural at this game - it's not hard, but I've died twice now after running out of healing and not paying attention and reacting too slow (15 hours in), that's about standard for me. I'm using the Torgal ring too as I am not a fan of micro managing him and also enjoying the combat (may change for FF mode once I've mastered it though on NG+).

For reference, I've beat every FROM game, Niohs, GoW 1+2 in GMGOW mode etc....so I do hard too, but this combat feels great IMO: you feel powerful but not cheap, which I love.

Our boy ShillUp who's usually on the money with his reviews is not having a good time. At all.

Yeah Skill Up not a fan but does explain why.

Says the game is 75% cutscenes which he says he doesn't normally mind but that the use in this game are laborious and outdated, very linear, no exploration, poor sidequests, seems like he really doesn't like the fact there is no party.

Says the Eikon battles are insane and unlike anything he has seen before but also the least playable parts and that the QTEs are pointless.

I actually agree with a lot of his critiques for example that the game is very linear and feels dated but I guess it doesn't bother me as much as I'm definitely having a good time though he has finished the game and I'm maybe 6 hours in so I might change my mind.

Let me know what you think about the difficulty after
You get past the name change
there is a difficulty spike for sure later in the game. Had an S rank blow me up pretty badly. If he hits you twice that's it.

Yeah Skill Up not a fan but does explain why.

Says the game is 75% cutscenes which he says he doesn't normally mind but that the use in this game are laborious and outdated, very linear, no exploration, poor sidequests, seems like he really doesn't like the fact there is no party.

Says the Eikon battles are insane and unlike anything he has seen before but also the least playable parts and that the QTEs are pointless.

I actually agree with a lot of his critiques for example that the game is very linear and feels dated but I guess it doesn't bother me as much as I'm definitely having a good time though he has finished the game and I'm maybe 6 hours in so I might change my mind.

Seems like a stupid take to me to bash linear games.

God of War, Naughty Dog, Resident Evil etc never got this kind of criticism.

I dunno, I find it to be a breath of fresh air to play something so tight and well paced

GymWolf

Let me know what you think about the difficulty after
You get past the name change
there is a difficulty spike for sure later in the game. Had an S rank blow me up pretty badly. If he hits you twice that's it.
Is it a difficulty spike in the sense of just one hard enemy or the entire game turn harder?

Because one hard fight every 10 hours is not gonna change my idea one bit about the general level of challenge.

Is it a difficulty spike in the sense of just one hard enemy or the entire game turn harder?

Because one hard fight every 10 hours is not gonna change my idea one bit about the general level of challenge.
The game gets much harder. Early on there isn't any incentive to figure it out or "get gud" right now lightning rod is my best fucking friend. The spike actually has me wanting to play the Final Fantasy mode even more.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Sounds like you're a natural at this game - it's not hard, but I've died twice now after running out of healing and not paying attention and reacting too slow (15 hours in), that's about standard for me. I'm using the Torgal ring too as I am not a fan of micro managing him and also enjoying the combat (may change for FF mode once I've mastered it though on NG+).

For reference, I've beat every FROM game, Niohs, GoW 1+2 in GMGOW mode etc....so I do hard too, but this combat feels great IMO: you feel powerful but not cheap, which I love.
Believe me, i'm not a natural, I usually die hundreds and hundreds of times in real hard games, like 300 to 500 times (probably even more), sometimes i lose 50+ times against a single boss.

This one is just extremely easy (for now), but you are way ahead of me at 15 hours so i really can't speak about later parts of the game, but i have enough experience as a gamer to know that it is not gonna change drastically, dying a couple of times here and there is not what i call an hard challenge in any shape, way or form.

The combat feels great of course, i personally prefer less agile, more tanky characters and movements but that is a me thing not a flaw of the game whatsoever.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't know. I like his reviews for how he talks, but his takes suck a lot of the time he has recommended a lot of games where I was like WTF and he's criticized things I feel like were over blown.

This is the same dude who routinely shills for Destiny and its god awful systems with little to no exploration, depth, etc. He is as trustworthy as Eurogamer is: not at all.

Dynasty8

The game is brain dead easy. Yes, even a little later in the game...

What's really annoying is that there are 2 real difficulty options to choose from. Extremely easy (ring accessories) and Easy. There isn't even a "normal" mode here. Not to mention the boss checkpoints that automatically fill all your potions and high potions if you die. These kind of decisions are what makes me scratch my head...it's like they ONLY catered to people who want to experience the story and nothing else.

It's ruined the game for me sadly...which is a shame since I find the world, story, characters, and writing absolutely superb. Best I've seen in an FF game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The game is brain dead easy. Yes, even a little later in the game...

What's really annoying is that there are 2 real difficulty options to choose from. Extremely easy (ring accessories) and Easy. There isn't even a "normal" mode here. Not to mention the boss checkpoints that automatically fill all your potions and high potions if you die. These kind of decisions are what makes me scratch my head...it's like they ONLY catered to people who want to experience the story and nothing else.

It's ruined the game for me sadly...which is a shame since I find the world, story, characters, and writing absolutely superb. Best I've seen in an FF game.

If you are dying, clearly it isn't *too* easy then, is it?

But agreed, the game is very very easy early on. Difficulty becomes much more nuanced once you earn a certain eidolan and unlock hunts. I had the same issue iwth FF7R, but its Hard Mode made me fall in love with the game. I assume the same will be with NG+ here.

Last edited:

Mercador

I DISLIKE your score, I care NOT for your taste in games, and I CONDEMN your googled "forum avatar that makes me look like I know what retro games are" avatar pic.

...we cool though.
Hahaha good one. Alas, I'm old enough to have purchase Final Fantasy I on the NES and the evolution of the black mage is my favorite pixel character. It's also a wink to Uematsu rock band, the black mages.

I thought that the game would get lower score but I'm really happy that it's better than 83, I'll gladly play it on PC once it gets there, I can't justify myself to purchase a PS5 only for FFXVI, even if Final Fantasy is my favorite series. Granted, I prefer the old one, VI being my favorite.

Dynasty8

This is the same dude who routinely shills for Destiny and its god awful systems with little to no exploration, depth, etc. He is as trustworthy as Eurogamer is: not at all.

Talk all the shit you want about the other stuff in Destiny like MTX, sunsetting and other BS..., but from the challenge aspect, the hidden secrets/collectibles, variety of different & loot incentives, multiple different builds & subclasses, there's a shit ton of good there.

Fact still remains that FFXVI is extremely linear...as linear as XIII. I really wish they added an open world akin to XV. The story would NOT suffer due to a more open world. XV suffered from poor story telling due to poor leadership, shit engines, unorganized development, immature tone/writing, Square Enix's greed to milk DLC's and other issues.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Anyone else getting an occasional green type flickering in certain cutscenes? I’m in performance mode on a 4k tv with hdr? Figured I’d ask here because it’s not really worth a thread lol. I may be paranoid because I lost my launch ps5 to a green screen crash issue within the first 8 months.

Last edited:
Believe me, i'm not a natural, I usually die hundreds and hundreds of times in real hard games, like 300 to 500 times (probably even more), sometimes i lose 50+ times against a single boss.

This one is just extremely easy (for now), but you are way ahead of me at 15 hours so i really can't speak about later parts of the game, but i have enough experience as a gamer to know that it is not gonna change drastically, dying a couple of times here and there is not what i call an hard challenge in any shape, way or form.
I'm only 25 hours in, and about five hours after a very significant event in the storyline. It does pick up quite a bit but you are right. The hardest things are bosses and hunts. Fodder mobs are nonthreatening, especially after unlocking Ramuh. The whole pre game enemies take too long to kill argument Ramuh is like, "Hold my fucking staff."

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Talk all the shit you want about the other stuff in Destiny like MTX, sunsetting and other BS..., but from the challenge aspect, the hidden secrets/collectibles, variety of different & loot incentives, multiple different builds & subclasses, there's a shit ton of good there.
J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

Fact still remains that FFXVI is extremely linear...as linear as XIII. I really wish they added an open world akin to XV. The story would NOT suffer due to a more open world. XV suffered from poor story telling due to poor leadership, shit engines, unorganized development, immature tone/writing, Square Enix's greed to milk DLC's and other issues.

It absolutely isn't and if you think that you must barely be into the game at all, or have a warped memory of what FFXIII was.

Dynasty8

If you are dying, clearly it isn't *too* easy then, is it?

But agreed, the game is very very easy early on. Difficulty becomes much more nuanced once you earn a certain eidolan and unlock hunts. I had the same issue iwth FF7R, but its Hard Mode made me fall in love with the game. I assume the same will be with NG+ here.

No, it is too easy. I died to the
Benedikta
fight because I chose NOT to upgrade any of my weapons/armor and only used 2 potions while almost winning on my first attempt. A "cinematic" boss strike killed me, which I thought was cool.....but then I respawned and had 4 potions and 3 high potions with the boss at partial health....

I also platinumed FF7R, hard mode was fun...but again, a similar mode should have been made available for the first playthrough for that game as well (minus locked items). I honestly think Square Enix has lost their minds with making games so incredibly easy without any way of increasing difficulty on the first playthroughs. Kingdom Hearts 3 you can literally set the controller down and your AI party members will win the fight for you. Octopath Traveler 2 is significantly easier than the first with no difficulty options.

Dynasty8

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

It absolutely isn't and if you think that you must barely be into the game at all, or have a warped memory of what FFXIII was.

Fair enough about XIII linearity, I'll give you that. It was pretty bad, but I still wish XVI did more open world stuff. As for Destiny 2, you probably barely played the game at all too or have a warped memory of the game as well.

Top Bottom