• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Career and progression in Forza Motorsport is confirmed to be online-only

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It was a crap decision in GT7 and it’s a crap decision here and has guaranteed I will only play the game via Game Pass.

Me Too Samesies GIF

Nubulax

UPDATE: *Career and progression in Forza Motorsport is confirmed to be online-only*

A Best Buy listing for preordering Forza Motorsport (Launches 10/10/23) reveals the cover art, with a banner that states "requires internet"

6547747_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

As far as I know, neither Forza Horizon 5 nor Forza Motorsport 7 include this statement on their covers, and both games ARE playable offline. However, Diablo 4 includes the same statement on its cover for both PS5 and Series consoles, and the game is NOT playable offline. Interestingly, GT7 launched as an online-only game, just over a year ago. As a result, the game was bombarded with negative user scores on metacritic. What are your thoughts? Do you think this is a situation where the disc acts as a license, but the downloaded game will be fully playable offline; or, will this game go the same route as GT7?
OHHHHHh... I would love to go back to the Gran Turismo Thread and see the backflips people are doing now probably in defending their position
Prove It The Kid Mero GIF by Desus & Mero

Nemesisuuu

Is it really that hard to separate offline and online progress cause that's obviously reason why both GT and FM require online connection. I can understand fascination with esports, but why does it have to be implemented in a way that singleplayer gets worse part of the deal. Shame.

skneogaf

The colours of the cars look like forza still as in they don't look real. Gran turismo is somehow able to have a realistic filter on the overall look of the cars and environment, it's hard to explain but I'm not impressed.

I'll try it on my pc at maximum settings with the extra ray tracing stuff turned and decide then.

GHG

Well this will be the first Forza I don't purchase ultimate edition for in a while (I think FH2 was the last, but only because I got that one physical).

I have no interest in FOMO simulator games anymore, so will see what kind of bullshit they are up to before deciding if and when I jump on board.

cireza

This is beyond dumb. Can't people enjoy their games offline if they want ?

This is a game that has no good reason to force online. If people want to enjoy a good career experience offline, after they come back from work and don't want to bother with shit and network or whatever, well, everybody rejoice, they won't be able to.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It’s only a problem if the game is actually good. I play Forza Motorsport 4 to this day, if the reboot is as legendary as that entry it would be a shame if one day servers go offline and you can’t play it.

If 11 years from now you must play forza Motorsport and it's that good, you can fire it up on a pc and play it no problem with a simple patch with even better graphics than seties X.

Yoboman

Pretty sure the GT7 review bomb was for the microtransaction prices being fucked up but I could be wrong

Barakov

Gold Member
UPDATE: *Career and progression in Forza Motorsport is confirmed to be online-only*

A Best Buy listing for preordering Forza Motorsport (Launches 10/10/23) reveals the cover art, with a banner that states "requires internet"

6547747_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

As far as I know, neither Forza Horizon 5 nor Forza Motorsport 7 include this statement on their covers, and both games ARE playable offline. However, Diablo 4 includes the same statement on its cover for both PS5 and Series consoles, and the game is NOT playable offline. Interestingly, GT7 launched as an online-only game, just over a year ago. As a result, the game was bombarded with negative user scores on metacritic. What are your thoughts? Do you think this is a situation where the disc acts as a license, but the downloaded game will be fully playable offline; or, will this game go the same route as GT7?
Spongebob Squarepants I Give Up GIF

If 11 years from now you must play forza Motorsport and it's that good, you can fire it up on a pc and play it no problem with a simple patch with even better graphics than seties X.

This assumes that 1) T10 will patch it for offline when the game goes EoL or 2) someone cares enough to hack it, and that's a big IF considering that all progression data will be stored server-side, much less come up with some method to spoof the authentication MSFT is using to verify the connection.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Ah, yes, I was just putting myself in console crowd shoes. On PC it won't be an issue. To this day I sometimes play Test Drive Unlimited 2 with community patches. If the game is worth saving, it will live on on PC.

Nydius

Pretty sure the GT7 review bomb was for the microtransaction prices being fucked up but I could be wrong
Pretty sure the update patch “maintenance” that kept people from playing any part of the game for 24-48 hours (and still had server connection issues afterward) was a major contributing factor to the review bombing as well.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
But but, PlayStation conference only GAAS, wahhhh 🥹…I love when warriors catch a dose.

Side note, I don’t think will be a huge deal, just like it’s not normally a huge deal with any other game people make it out to be a huge deal with. Does it suck? Yes. Is it dumb? Yes. But it’s not Nagasaki or Hiroshima.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But but, PlayStation conference only GAAS, wahhhh 🥹…I love when warriors catch a dose.

Side note, I don’t think will be a huge deal, just like it’s not normally a huge deal with any other game people make it out to be a huge deal with. Does it suck? Yes. Is it dumb? Yes. But it’s not Nagasaki or Hiroshima.
The GT7 thread on this was Nagasaki or Hiroshima, this one is a dust bowl. I wonder what changed?

Sony

Nintendo
I found that concern with regard to GT7 dumb and I find it dumb in this case again. I can't think of a single person who's console isn't connected to the internet.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
This isn't necessarily related to always online, but games are getting too large to even fit on the disc. Previous Forza games was pushing the limits of size and physical media, and publishers are reluctant to use more than one disc.
This is BS…the new FF7 Remake Part 2 even explicitly started it will be in 2 discs because it can’t fit on one. No excuse whatsoever to force online. Plus, wtf does a download size have to do with being always online? 🤦‍♂️

Edit - if it “isn't necessarily related to always online”, what the hell does it have to do with the thread? Y’all need to supporting this trash or it’s only going to get worse.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Jem6Alw.gif

Again, a great decision from Microsoft for single players, thanks Phil & Xbox to help me save my money for my cats.

*exasperated*

I told it, Microsoft/Xbox became the worst publisher for single player and physical release.

"No big deal" reaction is enough for them to make it standard once people give up, that's how it starts: inaction and acceptance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This assumes that 1) T10 will patch it for offline when the game goes EoL or 2) someone cares enough to hack it, and that's a big IF considering that all progression data will be stored server-side, much less come up with some method to spoof the authentication MSFT is using to verify the connection.

If its that good, someone will hack it, not a big if just a when. Yep you would lose your progression, but again, 11 years later and 50 new games later, let's move on from 1st world problems.

DJ12

It's to protect the integrity of the purchasable credits. People will still be able to cheat online and offline as long as they don't give themselves billions of credits.

Looking at any FH5 leaderboard (last time I played which was a while ago) will tell you this is all they care about.

Fredrik

I found that concern with regard to GT7 dumb and I find it dumb in this case again. I can't think of a single person who's console isn't connected to the internet.
What about the submarine guys? Or those living in the ”XB1DRM guy: -Why would I want to live there” areas?

Always online will always be bad. And if I’m not ever playing online, ever, then where is the logic that I need to play this online when I’ll never ever play online against another person? If they cheat then who cares? Cheat all you want it won’t affect me.

Monad

iRacing, GT7 and every other major "online-focused" game with strong anti-cheat measures for serious events (like eSports) are always online.

Why should it be any different in this case and why do people pretend to look surprised?

Top Bottom