• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Career and progression in Forza Motorsport is confirmed to be online-only

K' Dash

People who have never disconnected their console from the internet:

breaking bad bullshit GIF

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
The GT7 thread on this was Nagasaki or Hiroshima, this one is a dust bowl. I wonder what changed?
Jem6Alw.gif

Again, a great decision from Microsoft for single players, thanks Phil & Xbox to help me save my money for my cats.

*exasperated*

I told it, Microsoft/Xbox became the worst publisher for single player and physical release.

"No big deal" reaction is enough for them to make it standard once people give up, that's how it starts: inaction and acceptance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I get it, I just don’t buy always online shit. Never did, never will. I’m saying it’s not a Nagasaki or Hiroshima, because people aren’t willing to take a stand and make it a huge issue for the companies that incorporate it in their games. The Jo big deal comment was supposed to be sarcasm. Sorry about that, I’m a little buzzed and was in 3 threads at once and got crossed up on them lol. I’m with you 100%, it won’t stop until people stop buying it…but I don't think they will, which is bad news for everyone.

Last edited:
If its that good, someone will hack it, not a big if just a when. Yep you would lose your progression, but again, 11 years later and 50 new games later, let's move on from 1st world problems.

Again, that's assuming that someone can actually hack it. I can't think of a single live service PC game in the last decade that has actually been preserved for offline use.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I get it, I just don’t buy always online shit. Never did, never will. I’m saying it’s not a Nagasaki or Hiroshima, because people aren’t willing to take a stand and make it a huge issue for the companies that incorporate it in their games. The Jo big deal comment was supposed to be sarcasm. Sorry about that, I’m a little buzzed and was in 3 threads at once and got crossed up on them lol. I’m with you 100%, it won’t stop until people stop buying it…but I don't think they will, which is bad news for everyone.
Oh I understood what you meant, was just adding to the conversation.

It's things like this that should be a lesson to gamers to not be fantarding all over the place and fanning the flames.

Last edited:

GHG

iRacing, GT7 and every other major "online-focused" game with strong anti-cheat measures for serious events (like eSports) are always online.

Why should it be any different in this case and why do people pretend to look surprised?

And what serious online racing events will the new FM have? What racing series have they partnered with?

Throwing in iRacing as if it's the same thing as Forza and GT is as disingenuous as it gets. The game is literally an online subscription service.

Last edited:
So the same as GT Sport and GT7 then. Not a fan of having to be online just to play a game but I guess it is what it is. Hopefully ypu can still play offline with the free race modes that Forza has always had. Not so bad if that’s an option. Just don’t want to see the entire game shackled by an internet connection and then lose it all when they decide to delist it like other Forza motorsport games before it. Wish companies would stop pushing these online shite requirements.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So the same as GT Sport and GT7 then. Not a fan of having to be online just to play a game but I guess it is what it is. Hopefully ypu can still play offline with the free race modes that Forza has always had. Not so bad if that’s an option. Just don’t want to see the entire game shackled by an internet connection and then lose it all when they decide to delist it like other Forza motorsport games before it. Wish companies would stop pushing these online shite requirements.
Will probably have an arcade mode for when it’s not online like GT7.

Monad

And what serious online racing events will the new FM have? What racing series have they partnered with?

Throwing in iRacing as if it's the same thing as Forza and GT is as disingenuous as it gets. The game is literally an online subscription service.

We don't know anything about the racing events and partnerships yet, but even FM7 had some of them, being a real joke as a race "sim".

Besides, it has been confirmed that safety and driving ranking will be part of the game along with a properly penalty system and realistic race sequence (including qualifying and practice), just like iRacing and GT7 and completely different from previous Forza Motorsport games, so the online focus of the title is much more serious and obvious than ever before.

Bilu

Career mode looks promising, and the graphics look very good, and it's not the final version, so I hope they improve it even more until the release.

L*][*N*K

Banned
It seems like recent games that explicitly state "requires internet", are not playable offline (like Diablo 4), or block features and player progression (Riders Republic).
Diablo 4 is a MMO lite, why do people want to play a MMO offline?

Gamezone

Gold Member
This is BS…the new FF7 Remake Part 2 even explicitly started it will be in 2 discs because it can’t fit on one. No excuse whatsoever to force online. Plus, wtf does a download size have to do with being always online? 🤦‍♂️

Edit - if it “isn't necessarily related to always online”, what the hell does it have to do with the thread? Y’all need to supporting this trash or it’s only going to get worse.

Well, it's confirmed to be always online at this point, so not acceptable.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
The silver lining is that Xbox keeps their servers up for longer and also won’t delete your cloud saves, so any progress made while the servers run won’t disappear.

Still 100% unacceptable though. They both need to commit to taking away that requirement at some point down the road.

Rac3r

Diablo 4 is a MMO lite, why do people want to play a MMO offline?

I originally made this thread to speculate whether or not Forza was going to be online-only (the thread was updated after it was confirmed). I used Diablo as an example of another game that has the same box art disclaimer as Forza ("requires internet") to speculate that Forza may not be playable offline (like Diablo).

Last edited:

Tommi84

I didn't like this with GT7. I don't like this with Forza.

There really should be offlone and online profile and that's it. If you have onlone profile, you'd be given ONE chance to switch to offline, but never the other way around

StereoVsn

Was just about to post the same thing when I saw the new post notice pop up.

Everyone that shat on GT7 for being always online better keep that same energy for Forza Motorsport. None of this “well it’s okay now because it’s my preferred plastic box” justification.

It was a crap decision in GT7 and it’s a crap decision here and has guaranteed I will only play the game via Game Pass.
Yep. I just don't get why devs can't implement SP profile mode that doesn't require always online.

Whether GT7 or Forza, you could have an online only MP profile and SP/local profile that can be offline. It can't be that complex.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I think they missed out on what would have been an insanely funny joke by not including a tea house.

GHG

We don't know anything about the racing events and partnerships yet, but even FM7 had some of them, being a real joke as a race "sim".

Besides, it has been confirmed that safety and driving ranking will be part of the game along with a properly penalty system and realistic race sequence (including qualifying and practice), just like iRacing and GT7 and completely different from previous Forza Motorsport games, so the online focus of the title is much more serious and obvious than ever before.

"More serious and obvious than ever before" but yet they haven't shown a peep of anything involving online racing despite having had plenty of opportunity to do so.

I'll file it under "I'll believe it when I see it".

Guilty_AI

Yep. I just don't get why devs can't implement SP profile mode that doesn't require always online.

Whether GT7 or Forza, you could have an online only MP profile and SP/local profile that can be offline. It can't be that complex.
Because its not about preventing cheating, its about putting a ton of the content, especially cars, behind high progression hurdles and selling in-game currency while at it. Can't have those pesky players enjoying an offline modded save with all the Ferraris and Lambos available to them from the start, need to cash-in on the fomo.

...of course, thats assuming the offline non-carrer mode still needs the content to be unlocked like GT7. If its like Dirt Rally 2 where all content comes unlocked from the start, it would be at least less bothersome.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Funny how Diablo got a free pass despite it being riddled with predatory practices and Always online nonsense..
Honestly, the only reason that Diablo didn't feel the heat is because it was multiplatform.

GT7 saw the wrath by Xbox fans because it was a PlayStation exclusive. Forza will feel the heat from PS fans in retaliation because it is an Xbox exclusive.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Funny how Diablo got a free pass despite it being riddled with predatory practices and Always online nonsense..
Honestly, the only reason that Diablo didn't feel the heat is because it was multiplatform.

GT7 saw the wrath by Xbox fans because it was a PlayStation exclusive. Forza will feel the heat from PS fans in retaliation because it is an Xbox exclusive.

Several pages of shills vs reasonable people, much like what GT7 saw. Enough with the self-victimizing crap.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Several pages of shills vs reasonable people, much like what GT7 saw. Enough with the self-victimizing crap.
There is very little noise in the gaming media against Diablos' predatory practices and always-online connection.

Also, that's just one thread. On the other hand, GT 7 has a user score of 2.3 on Metacritic, with 11,000+ negative ratings. Diablo has a user score of 6. Both have a critics score in the high 80s.

There is obviously an element of exclusivity here; there is no doubt about that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There is very little noise in the gaming media against Diablos' predatory practices and always-online connection.

Also, that's just one thread. On the other hand, GT 7 has a user score of 2.3 on Metacritic, with 11,000+ negative ratings. Diablo has a user score of 6. Both have a critics score in the high 80s.

There is obviously an element of exclusivity here; there is no doubt about that.
Interesting thread to look back on.

I also wonder if the same games media will write "online DRM" articles like they did for GT7.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The "element of exclusivity" is caused by the fact one game was made by a company known for singleplayer games with a popular racing franchise that had been mainly singleplayer aside from one spin-off entry. The other put the knife in and twisted long ago, and has an already established history of being hated for these reasons. Most players already expected this kind of bullshittery from them. Still didn't stop it from getting 5.2 userscores

So yeah, there's no grand green rat conspiracy here. People hate this shit, period.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

why is this even surprising? The all digital future is coming hot and heavy. There are games from big pubs already announced with only digital release. This game prob needs it for all the leaderboard/drivatar/ lootbox/analytics junk.
Guess what, previous Forza games also had leaderboards & drivatars. And they worked perfectly fine in offline mode, the social options simply weren't available in offline play.

This is bad news, because Forza servers aren't known for their stability, especially in the first days/weeks after launch.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Because its not about preventing cheating, its about putting a ton of the content, especially cars, behind high progression hurdles and selling in-game currency while at it. Can't have those pesky players enjoying an offline modded save with all the Ferraris and Lambos available to them from the start, need to cash-in on the fomo.

...of course, thats assuming the offline non-carrer mode still needs the content to be unlocked like GT7. If its like Dirt Rally 2 where all content comes unlocked from the start, it would be at least less bothersome.
Well, GT always had progression where you needed to unlock things as you build up your career and that would be fine.

But yeah, MTX ruins everything as usual.

Kvally

Banned
I personally don't care that it's online only, since I am always online. However, I know it's not the case for everyone else. There should be an option IMO. Not everyone is a cheater, so why should honest gamers be penalized by forcing online connectivity for campaign progression?

Will probably have an arcade mode for when it’s not online like GT7.
One can hope. As I had stated before, hopefully it will have the free race option just like the previous titles did. If not then I will not support this installment of the series. Losing the game I paid for when they decide to delist it or kill server support one day is not what I deem pro gamer. They never did this before and I am surprised they are following in the footsteps of GT7 with this online requirement rubbish for career mode. It was never needed before and shouldn’t be now. Turn 10 have literally TURNED A PAGE and gone full retard in this matter.

Last edited:

They can and have many times before. Sadly, they have become so greedy and are doing this to lock so much of the progression behind a paywall. It’s quite obvious and sad at the same time. Hopefully enough people stop supporting this rubbish or sooner or later all of gaming will go down this ridiculous path.

Top Bottom