• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

Anyone have impressions of the Alucard DLC please?
Watched it on YouTube and I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

Story:
Marie asks alucard to go on a journey to the castle to put the void sword and flame claws in places where Dracula can find them. The gap between alucard/dracula's meeting and the present day was elaborated in the first cutscenes and consists of Dracula sitting in his coffin with the Crissaegrim through his chest until the present day. The game ends just before Dracula wakes up.

Final boss:
Zobek's lieutenant, and now we know why Alucard was "working" for Zobek since you obtain his armor after he dies. Although it doesn't make sense why he wouldn't have felt the vampiric power emanating from his lieutenant, but like most things in this game, story was created without care for these little details.

As such, the two environments you go through are extremely similar to what you played in the main game (likely just cut areas?) No new enemies, the bat and wolf powers are neat and the former really should have been given to Dracula to make the platforming in LoS2 more varied. All in all the character and weapons are pretty much a Gabriel palette swap except you have 3 swords instead of one.

Get it if you really want more LoS2 combat, otherwise it's just more of the same. About 2 hours to play through for the story.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hey so I'm at the part after Viktor in the corporate building, three immortal guards blocking me from a gate. I can't seem to get past them, how do I get by? On way to second alcolyte.

Also how much further till end?

Tizoc

I'd say you're in the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the game.
To get past that part get closer to the Golgoth guarding the gate, use your bat power to distract the two guards, then Mist path the 3rd Golgoth.

LTWood12

I'd say you're in the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the game.
To get past that part get closer to the Golgoth guarding the gate, use your bat power to distract the two guards, then Mist path the 3rd Golgoth.

And let me just say this is hands down the worst sequence in the game to try and figure out on your own.

Tizoc

It doesn't help that immediatly after that you fight a boss and the entire sequence was really...unneeded.
Now that I think about it, the stealth sections should've just been in the early game and dropped afterwards.

Ricker

Started this last night on the 360...not sure what to think about it so far,some stuff is awesome,other stuff seems overly complicated to me and the jumping is pretty bad(especially when you have to make those chandeliers swing back and forth...)

Also is there no way to exit this game properly,with a menu or something...? I dont see anything and I just hit the guide button and return to the dashboard...it works but I have a weird feeling everytime I do that that my save or game will mess up somehow hehe...

Just finished this a few days ago, starts out awesome and when you get near the end and at the very end itself....what the heck happened?

They really built it up to what would have been an epic finish but after you get to the end you realize that maybe Konami just ran out of time and money to make this game the best it could be. It certainly does NOT deserve a 4/10 as one review has stated, it's more of a high 7 or a low 8. There's a good game in there but it just wasn't realized.

Also the level design gets really weird at the end. You're supposed to re-enter the Cathedral at the end but the developers decided to make the waypoint be in a completely different spot from where you should really be going....what were they thinking? Also, the battle with Satan....uh how many thousands of years did they wait for this moment? He seemed awful underequipped to take on Dracula. I dunno, you'd expect him to have armies behind him when he emerges. He's just gonna take over the world all by himself, and with the help of his giant worm. And, when Satan does bite the dust, it's kinda anticlimactic given who he's supposed to be. I was expecting first form, second form, third form, more craziness....just didn't happen,man. Konami just ran out of money! But yeah, not a 4/10 game, had some genuinely GREAT boss battles....but not the best it could have been....

Also they were hinting at some resolution for Dracula. I expected him to die or something else entirely. But to live on, uh...what? So what was the point of all the build up earlier? Maybe Mercurysteam thought they'd get the contract for a third game, but from the looks of this, it will definitely end here because i don't think they know where to take it from this point on. A real shame because they almost had it. They almost revived Castlevania as a strong franchise, but alas, the challenges of triple A development probably got to them and they just didn't have enough time. At least, that's the impression I got when you finish the game. It really feels incomplete.

BouncyFrag

Just finished the dlc. Aside from the cursed blood section (I hate levels where you have to contend with rising water or blood in this instance), I really liked it. The final boss is fantastic. I greatly prefer fights against normal size baddies as opposed to hulking giants.

I really hope we get another dlc set after the main game.
The idea of Gabriel finally ending this nightmare and bringing peace to his family was hinted at throughout the main game, mostly through the Marie scenes, but nothing ever comes of it.

LTWood12

Ok so I'm stuck on a puzzle in the dlc. The one where you have to place the three keys. I got the first one, but now I can't figure out how to proceed. Can someone help?

Ricker

Is there anything more to this game then the awful lab Tech area and the confusing as fuck castle part...? I dont understand the wolf appearing part and some people pleading with you not to leave but you have to...? or not...? also respawning ennemies if you use an elevator or other stuff is annoying...and again,the jumping and blocking timing in this....so bad...

I just can't seem to get in the flow of this game so far,it reminds me of what they did with Darksiders...first one was awesome and then they tried to do too much with Darksiders II but it was still good,except this is not that good...yet anyway...I am up to trying to find the 3 ''girls'',not to spoil anything...

Any outside area's later on...? forests or whatever lol...?

AlphaK

Just started this game on ps3 and i'm really annoyed by the fact that the DS4 sticks don't seem to work with this game.

Seems really odd to me.

Ushiwaka

I started this game last night and as a fan of the first one, I am very disappointed. It looks like they took out all the good things about the first one and replaced them with shittier versions. The art direction is awful. The platforming is also a downgrade from the first game (the platforming in the first game was not something spectacular, but it was unique and I liked it).

The graphics is also fucked up. Seriously, what the hell is up with pixelated motion blur?! Its annoying as shit.

Sigh... They really destroyed most of the good things about the first game.

I've been a NeoGAF lurker for months and finally decided to try registering just so I could post my thoughts on the ending of LoS2. So here I am finally about to write my very first NeoGAF post.

I finished LoS2 a few days ago and I have a bone to pick with this game. I loved LoS1 to bits and still to this day think it is the best Castlevnaia game ever made and my personal 2010 GOTY. LoS2 became my most anticipated title the day it was announced back in 2012. I also enjoyed a lot Mirror of Fate for what it was, flaws and all, but it delivered.

LoS2? I kept thinking to myself: as long as the ending is half as good as LoS1 was I'll be willing to put up with many of the game's shortcomings and boring modern environments. After all Konami kept marketing LoS2 since the beginning as "the epic conclusion to the Lords of Shadow saga" so it had to deliver on the conslusion part right? Oh dear....

*SPOILER ALERT*
Aside from Dracula killing Satan nothing was resolved. What's gonna happen to Alucard? Isnt the whole point of the start of this adventure Dracula wanting to get a hold of the Vampire Killer so he can get true peace? Well guess what the game ends with him having it in his hand and just goes inside the chapel and thats it. Credits began to roll and I just stood there dumbfounded thinking "well LoS1 closed with an amazing after credits scene, there has to be something after this too". Nothing.

They dropped the ball with the ending. Big time! Mass Effect 3 has nothing on LoS2 I swear.

LoS2 is my biggest disapointment of the last 12 months.

And yes the forced stealth sections were horrible and I wished I stayed in the Castle more since it was so beautiful to look at unlike the drab boring as hell present day city setting.

Caved in and bought the Revelations DLC
hoping it might redeem the ending somewhat and got nothing but I still loved the DLC. It had everything I loved about LoS2 (castle setting, good music, good combat, exploration, no stealth!) without the bad things.
And it was only $8! Good stuff all around for that DLC. Still I cant help but feel duped and cheated on the actual ending we got.

The art direction is awful. .

I agree only a 60% with you since that's about how much you spend in the city setting which is, indeed, awful. But the castle parts are incredible! Some of the best art direction I've seen on a videogame, up there with the likes of Bioshock, in my opinion.
If onyl there was more castle and less boring industrial city filled with factories, empty streets and sewers.

Just finished this a few days ago, starts out awesome and when you get near the end and at the very end itself....what the heck happened?

They really built it up to what would have been an epic finish but after you get to the end you realize that maybe Konami just ran out of time and money to make this game the best it could be. It certainly does NOT deserve a 4/10 as one review has stated, it's more of a high 7 or a low 8. There's a good game in there but it just wasn't realized.

Also the level design gets really weird at the end. You're supposed to re-enter the Cathedral at the end but the developers decided to make the waypoint be in a completely different spot from where you should really be going....what were they thinking? Also, the battle with Satan....uh how many thousands of years did they wait for this moment? He seemed awful underequipped to take on Dracula. I dunno, you'd expect him to have armies behind him when he emerges. He's just gonna take over the world all by himself, and with the help of his giant worm. And, when Satan does bite the dust, it's kinda anticlimactic given who he's supposed to be. I was expecting first form, second form, third form, more craziness....just didn't happen,man. Konami just ran out of money! But yeah, not a 4/10 game, had some genuinely GREAT boss battles....but not the best it could have been....

Also they were hinting at some resolution for Dracula. I expected him to die or something else entirely. But to live on, uh...what? So what was the point of all the build up earlier? Maybe Mercurysteam thought they'd get the contract for a third game, but from the looks of this, it will definitely end here because i don't think they know where to take it from this point on. A real shame because they almost had it. They almost revived Castlevania as a strong franchise, but alas, the challenges of triple A development probably got to them and they just didn't have enough time. At least, that's the impression I got when you finish the game. It really feels incomplete.

Ok let's chop this into parts. I'm not going to defend the ending of the game but I think there are some things that I need to address that I think you misunderstood.

You say Satan was underequipped to take on Dracula. Well yes he was! It was already stated in LoS1 that Gabriel was more powerful than Dracula. Now that he's the one and only Lord of Shadow AND an eternal vampire Satan knows he's weaker and couldnt possibly beat him. That's why the only reason he got revived was when they thought Dracula was indeed dead after centuries of Alucard fake killing him. This is also why Satan refuses to fight Dracula directly and decides to use Alucard's body instead.

You also say they were kinda "hinting" at some kind of resolution to Dracula's story. To that I say: HINTING!? No dude, they were marketing this game with the words "The epic conclusion to the Lords of Shadow saga" in ever damn trailer. That's no hinting. Thats plain ol' giving it away! And all the more reason I was so angry and felt cheated when I saw Dracula just casually walk towards the cathedral and roll the credits. I felt duped, I really did. Dracula has been saying forever he wants his rest, he wants to die and join his family in the afterlife and the one thing that can give this to him is in his very hand now and he just walks away? Stupid stupid STUPID.

Yes I did. How sure are we that's true? Even if I didnt like that ending at least it would've been an actual conclusion! They would've delivered on their promise of an epic conclusion. It' would've been a very sad and brutal ending, but a conclusion nonetheless!
What we got was nothing!

Ushiwaka

I agree only a 60% with you since that's about how much you spend in the city setting which is, indeed, awful. But the castle parts are incredible! Some of the best art direction I've seen on a videogame, up there with the likes of Bioshock, in my opinion.
If onyl there was more castle and less boring industrial city filled with factories, empty streets and sewers.

The art direction is pretty weird. One moment its good an in another one its awful. If I recall correctly the game had multiple art designers and some of them left Mercury Steam midway through the development. Yes, I agree, most of the castle parts are very good.

BouncyFrag

I've been a NeoGAF lurker for months and finally decided to try registering just so I could post my thoughts on the ending of LoS2. So here I am finally about to write my very first NeoGAF post.

I finished LoS2 a few days ago and I have a bone to pick with this game. I loved LoS1 to bits and still to this day think it is the best Castlevnaia game ever made and my personal 2010 GOTY. LoS2 became my most anticipated title the day it was announced back in 2012. I also enjoyed a lot Mirror of Fate for what it was, flaws and all, but it delivered.

LoS2? I kept thinking to myself: as long as the ending is half as good as LoS1 was I'll be willing to put up with many of the game's shortcomings and boring modern environments. After all Konami kept marketing LoS2 since the beginning as "the epic conclusion to the Lords of Shadow saga" so it had to deliver on the conslusion part right? Oh dear....

*SPOILER ALERT*
Aside from Dracula killing Satan nothing was resolved. What's gonna happen to Alucard? Isnt the whole point of the start of this adventure Dracula wanting to get a hold of the Vampire Killer so he can get true peace? Well guess what the game ends with him having it in his hand and just goes inside the chapel and thats it. Credits began to roll and I just stood there dumbfounded thinking "well LoS1 closed with an amazing after credits scene, there has to be something after this too". Nothing.

They dropped the ball with the ending. Big time! Mass Effect 3 has nothing on LoS2 I swear.

LoS2 is my biggest disapointment of the last 12 months.

And yes the forced stealth sections were horrible and I wished I stayed in the Castle more since it was so beautiful to look at unlike the drab boring as hell present day city setting.

Caved in and bought the Revelations DLC
hoping it might redeem the ending somewhat and got nothing but I still loved the DLC. It had everything I loved about LoS2 (castle setting, good music, good combat, exploration, no stealth!) without the bad things.
And it was only $8! Good stuff all around for that DLC. Still I cant help but feel duped and cheated on the actual ending we got.
Yup!
The best content in the game revolved Gabriel and his family and they stated over and over again that they all want to achieve peace together and that this goal is within reach.
Any word if there is to be more dlc, hopefully content after the ending of the game?

The art direction is pretty weird. One moment its good an in another one its awful. If I recall correctly the game had multiple art designers and some of them left Mercury Steam midway through the development. Yes, I agree, most of the castle parts are very good.

yeah the game did have some troubled development, which is a shame really.

so far I've probably spent more time in the post-game world then I have with the actual story. the modern day sections are also a lot better, cus you're not forced to sneak around and use the forced rat sections anymore. respawning enemies makes looking for pain boxes a bit more fun, considering how much I like the actual
combat.

I, for the most part, hated everything about the modern day city sections. It was disjointed, too many loading rooms, it was boring to look at, too grey, and the music wasn't that good there.

The castle couldn't be more oposite!

I haven't finished the game yet, but so far i definitely feel that the game looks and plays better than Lords of Shadow 1.Just playing around with the camera felt enjoyable just because of how smooth it was on the PS3. It's too bad they had to mess around with the story.

I just started Revelations. Found a funny easter egg:
A soldier's diary from "Angry Sir Rolfe"

That's amazing. I've been a major fan since the very beginning and yet I played the Revelations DLC, found every scroll and managed to miss this. I'll replay tonight just to see that with my own eyes, take a picture and maybe send it to the man. I havent seen any reaction from him about this yet so chances are he hasn't heard.

Ambitious

That's amazing. I've been a major fan since the very beginning and yet I played the Revelations DLC, found every scroll and managed to miss this. I'll replay tonight just to see that with my own eyes, take a picture and maybe send it to the man. I havent seen any reaction from him about this yet so chances are he hasn't heard.

I think it was the knight left of the door with the three keys (the room with the elevator). But if you've already got all of them, you can view it in the menu anyway.

Ricker

Can someone give me a hint here or something...I just started the part where I need to find the 3 Gorgons but I don't know where to go...if I follow the map marker in the Tech part,it's a dead end or it leads me to the wolf circle(did most of the rats part)...if I am in the castle part,the marker also leaves me to the wolf circle it seems, so I am going in a larger circle and nothing happens anymore...

Levyne

Banned
Finally getting to the DLC. Very puzzle based so far.

Can someone give me a hint here or something...I just started the part where I need to find the 3 Gorgons but I don't know where to go...if I follow the map marker in the Tech part,it's a dead end or it leads me to the wolf circle(did most of the rats part)...if I am in the castle part,the marker also leaves me to the wolf circle it seems, so I am going in a larger circle and nothing happens anymore...

Oh man. I feel bad no one answered you D:

I think that's the common part where people miss you have to jump onto one of the black chains in the room filled with lava?

Levyne

Banned
Well I finished it and wrapped up the achievements and whatnot.

It was okay. It's more like the first game. No stealth, only castle-ornate looking bits. The "story" is contrived so it doesn't add anything there. Actually not being smothered in cutscenes was kind of nice. Only two encounters though that aren't just regular goons, which is lame. With the set up of the dlc it could have been 3, but I guess not. The last one is a really nice and fun encounter, though. Some interesting puzzles that actually required a little bit of cleverness. Very little, but some, backtracking to find upgrades.

Fun to spend an evening on.

Ricker

Finally getting to the DLC. Very puzzle based so far.

Oh man. I feel bad no one answered you D:

I think that's the common part where people miss you have to jump onto one of the black chains in the room filled with lava?

Thank you.!!!!!! ,that was it...the bastards,I was looking at that little puff of smoke and was wondering why I couldnt reach it lol...went around the block twice trying to figure where to go...oh well,gave me some points for skills at least lol...

Ricker

No clue what to do at the Boss after where I was stuck because of the chain...when he puts his hands down,they show the same kind of smoke indication on it but nothing seems to work...this is what happens in a game with a million commands when you play it once every 2 weeks lol...void sword,whip,jumping...it just bounces off...

Yuterald

So, I'm on my second playthrough, playing on Prince of Darkness difficulty and I'm enjoying myself more than I did on my initial run. I still find the game to be relatively disappointing after the original and while there's super questionable stuff/design decisions in this game, I do really enjoy a lot of what the game was going for. With that said, I gotta say that the Kleidos challenges are really, really bringing out the best of the game, specifically the combat system. These challenges make the most out of your arsenal more than any other combat encounter in the game, I feel. I guess that's only natural as arena-like challenges usually break a game's core mechanics down to its nuts & bolts (DMC's Bloody Palace, God of War's challenge modes, etc.). I also feel like the Relics are the most useful during these challenges. What's even greater is the fact that you gain experience during these challenges and then can quickly return to the shop to restock your inventory all while working on trophy-based challenges (like buying 20,000 experience worth of items). It's a very addictive/well thought out little ecosystem/meta-game tucked away down in that little ship, I like it (aside from the loading, ugh).

Levyne

Banned
Yep. I agree. I only wish there was an easy way to heal yourself before a challenge. It wasn't a deal breaker, but it was an annoyance.

Yuterald

Yep. I agree. I only wish there was an easy way to heal yourself before a challenge. It wasn't a deal breaker, but it was an annoyance.

Hear that. I tend to pop one of those healing potion relics at the end of a challenge if I found myself accidentally failing a sub-objective so I start with max health the next time I select a challenge. It's definitely annoying, but at least there's a workaround.

-Winnie-

I just finished the game and I have incredibly mixed emotions...

Certain aspects of this were fantastic. When the music wasn't weird modern synth, it was great. The "past" sections were incredibly beautiful, but then the modern day sections were incredibly boring. The ending was also really lacklustre. The combat was awesome, but then where was the classic Castlevania enemy variety? I felt like I was fighting the same generic looking demons for ages. (And why is there a demon with a shotgun? FFS) And there were so many missed opportunities for references to the older games...

I still had fun, but I can't say I loved it like the original.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Have they hinted maybe at a next-gen port? It still hasn't bomba'd in price even though it epic bomba'd so I'm getting frustrated.

Ahasverus

Have they hinted maybe at a next-gen port? It still hasn't bomba'd in price even though it epic bomba'd so I'm getting frustrated.
There are more chances of a remake than a port, rumor has it Konami is super pissed off to MercurySteam and could put in danger their next gen project. There was a Climax Stuios job posting with a CV pic this month so who knows.

There are more chances of a remake than a port, rumor has it Konami is super pissed off to MercurySteam and could put in danger their next gen project. There was a Climax Stuios job posting with a CV pic this month so who knows.

Have you heard anything about whether or not more dlc is still happening?

Mr. RHC

Alright, gonna be checking out this game now. I will try to take the story for what it is... mediocore, hopefully the art direction, gameplay and soundtrack can win me over..here goes nothing..

Top Bottom