• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

Fantasmo

The difficulty in this is brutal. I mean the combat is better than part 1 and so is the unblockable-telegraphing but to compensate enemies gang up on you much more and the guy you decide to chase is always running away. The minute you get close they attack. And a lot of attacks are circle swings so even dodging doesn't keep you safe. And when you power up the enemies in the areas become more powerful. And the unblockable-telegraph doesn't help much when its the off screen guys doing them. And you can't block bullets and a lot of enemies have guns. God.

Man these combat designers really want to make combat a chore don't they?

I'm almost done though so it must have been done to pad the length. This one is much shorter than the first game.

Mr. RHC

^ Edit: I actually find the game was considerably easier than LoS1!

Just cleared the game. Jesus, who gave this game a 4/10? What the actual fuck?
Will post my impressions soon, also in a LTTP thread.
Short verdict: Really good.

Mr. RHC

I have a made a thread for this, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=113998834#post113998834, but maybe we can have a spoiler discussion here in the OT.
Cleared Castlevania Lords of Shadows 2 earlier, but first things first:
Who gave this game a 4/10? Wow! Why? No, just no, that was so wrong, it's not a bad game.

It really is a gorgeous game, gameplay is fun, boss battles are great, soundtrack is fantastic and the story is a classic sequel story if you ask me. Now, I would gladly like to discuss what LoS2 could have been story wise, I have some ideas as well, but as a matter of fact, it is what it is and really isn't too bad. Definitely enjoyable. It certainly strikes quite different chords than the first game but you must consider that this game plays in the future, a lot of things have changed and then there was Mirror of Fate which also influenced the overall plot.

One thing I really liked were the various blood effects. Blood arrows, blood whip, blood slide, blood vomit, blood familiy. Blood really is everything in this game! You really feel like a vampire in this game, all sorts of funny vampire tricks throughout the game.

Another thing that struck me halfway through, was that this game felt a lot like God of War 3. More platforming on big things in exchange for less scenic and atmospheric landscape platforming. I can see that some could have really missed this but the pace is alright. Also more subsequent boss battles. I feel like 60% of this game is boss battles whereas LoS1 probably was around 30%.

Overall skill set is pretty the same as LoS1, one thing that is really different is that you can't grab enemies anymore.

And those stealth section everybody cried about? Gimme a break, those were really basic riddles, classic games had a lot of these sections were it wasn't quite obvious at first what to do. Nothing overly frustrating except you are a total Metal Gear pidgeon(no offense intended).

And besides, the stealth section are the most challenging thing in the game really, the game is pretty straight forward most of the time regarding where you must go and what to do. That's maybe also a bit of flaw but not a big one.

Let me get into the story now, I will put this into spoiler tags:

The atmoic blast when he sends the brotherhood knight to the heavens was hilarious. Fade out the the universe, hahaha. The music bit when Dracula is still weak and walks outside the church and there is woman asking for some money was really cool incredibly atmospheric scene. Also like how when you go away from Trevor, he calls you.

Zobek's lieutenant was badass from the start and Zobek as well. Smug as fuck, both of em'. Did you notice that Zobek removed his ash in a portable ashtray just as Snake in MGS4? It even looked like the same ashtray.

I was sad when I realized they removed the sound whick kicks in when you collected 5 upgrade shards. Maybe you could say it is because Dracula is not as heroic as Gabriel and pretty much does not care for a minor mortal upgrade of powers.

Chupacabra's cutscenes were amazing. Loved his "you won't regret it face" when he asks Dracula to release him. And damn, first thing Dracula does is to kick the poor guy away.

One thing I didn't get was why he was fighting monsters in his own castle to begin with, they were like "Lord" all the time, why would he have to do it? Maybe all of them were Satan's minions, that would explain it.

One thing that really needs a discussion is probably the inner Dracula and this whole story about Marie, Trevor etc. Sadly, really underdeveloped stuff. Why, how, from where and if young Trevor isn't really, why does Dracula whine so much about him?

Hah, the Argeus part was pretty easy after a few tries, I expected the first honestly. Some classic trial and error, really.

You can shoot down the bird who protects one shard of the mirror and he turns into chicken. I was like, wtf, such an out-of-everything moment. xD

Toymaker was a cool ass boss, I wish he had more relevance to the actual plot. Really heartbreaking how he kept crying when Dracula left.
That scene when Dracula takes a little rocket ride would make a good gid.

One of the best moments in the entire game, and it was really good was the fight against Victor Belmont. Holy shit, this is how you do a fight. He can parry like Gabriel, use light magic to protect him, use shards to summon monsters, angel wings, just fuck yes! This is how you play the nostalgia card, right in your face! He got the same skills as Gabriel with a few new tricks here and there. I'm not a Castlevania expert by all means, but I thought this moment is what Castlevania must be about, the eternal struggle of Belmont versus Dracula, new versus old. I wish they had given more background to Victor as well, but that's probably what to expect when Victor is not the protagonist, flawless moment, really. One thing that bugged me was that Dracula didn't kill Victor, I thought that wasn't really consequent story wise. Well, in a sense it was, given that the Belmonts usually win in some form.

For the ending scenes, Trevor being Zobek's guy was a cool surprise.
Finally, loved that Satan was trolling Dracula in the boss fight "Don't hit me Father.. hahahaha" Perfect. I liked the ending shot, there could have been room for more, but Mercury Steam will go on.

Final Verdict: Don't alway listen to reviews, play this game if you enjoyed the first one. It's fun!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I was steering away from playing the game because of Agreus... and believe me this was my most hyped game. I did play on and off but the overall game felt disjointed though it had its brilliant moments that reminded me of the first LOS.

I arrived at Agreus after not playing the game for a while. I was sure I'd drop the game there but I kept on...

I beat Agreus section in 5 minutes. Hell, even I hate stealth sections liked this one. It was easy and it was fun, game seems to be getting a tad bit better now as well.

I think the reviews for this were a bit too harsh. I've really enjoyed the several hours I've put into the game. The great art direction and music from the first game is still present but the larger boss battles play a lot better then say the ice titan in the first game. The medusa fight I found really cool.

Now that it's been a few months since I finished it, I still think it's a pretty good game. I don't like it as much as the first one, the city art direction was nice out in the exteriors but very bland indoors, the story really didn't resolve itself very well, and there was some unnecessary padding in spite of the last third of the game feeling very rushed--including the final battle and ending.

I'm going to revisit it once again when I get a gaming PC that can hammer this out at max settings and 60fps, but I thought it was a very decent game with a handful of great moments. The bosses, art in general, gameplay, and soundtrack were fantastic. I would love to see at least one more come out and fix the problems in the first two, but for me it's been a solid enough series.

The game is going to be on sale starting today on PSN:
$29.99 Non-PS+ Users
$26.99 PS+ Users

I'm wondering if I should jump on this. I greatly enjoyed the first one and want to continue the story. I even liked the demo for LoS2.

Levyne

Banned
The game is going to be on sale starting today on PSN:
$29.99 Non-PS+ Users
$26.99 PS+ Users

I'm wondering if I should jump on this. I greatly enjoyed the first one and want to continue the story. I even liked the demo for LoS2.

Sounds like a yes to me. The combat feels a bit better even if there still feels like too many unblockable attacks making you have to awkwardly "woosh" dodge around. The story isn't really a highlight, unfortunately.

I hope I'm not violating any rules by posting in this old-ish thread but as a Junior Member I can't create my own threads and I think this is the place to talk about this, if only briefly, because I can't be the only one that sees the uncanny resemblance.

Have you guys seen the trailer for this new movie "Dracula Untold"? Whether it will be a good or bad movie is a topic for another place but I can't shake the incredible resemblance to Lords of Shadow 2's atmosphere and aesthetic! Remember that LoS2 CG teaser of the big army battle outside the castle and Gabecula ripping them to shreds? See this trailer and tell me you don't see the similarities!!

See the guys armor! He even has a red dragon on his breast plate! This can't be just a coincidence. This could almost be "Casltevania Lords of Shadow: The Movie"! What do you guys think?

http://draculauntold.com/

RPGCrazied

Loved it. Though it did have its problems. The steath sections weren't even that bad, but I feel those should have been enemies to fight. I really didn't like the rat transformations though.

But that ending, are they serious? Thats it? It could have been awesome, but I didn't really like it. Plus
the Satan fight
was really non-exsistent, since all you fight is a
possessed Alucard.

I'm really liking the DLC, seems like they did it right, unlike the first game's DLC which was atrocious.

GutsOfThor

Sorry for the bump but I'm at the Carmilla boss fight and it's such a chore to play through. Is it worth trudging through it or should I just stop now and watch the rest of the game Youtube?

sphinx

the piano man
this bump is to ask a question probably nobody can answer but I'll give it a shot...

anybody knows whether the PAL version of this game works in an NTSC/American console?? is the game region-locked?

if anyone could confirm, I'd be very grateful.

Just finished this bad boy up. I thought it was pretty solid overall. Boss battles were great for the most part, the castle sections were excellent, and I enjoyed the story for what it was. I didn't mind the stealth parts, as they were pretty simple. Even certain aspects of the modern city were designed well, but it was just too much. A lot of those parts were also very boring and very un-Castlevaniaish. I'd put it on par with the first LOS game... Good, but highly flawed. It sucks because most 3D Castlevanias feel like they are on the cusp of greatness only to fall flat in a few areas. I really have no idea how this game reviewed so terribly though... It will most likely be in my top 10 for the year.

lefox360

Banned
I think this is the most beautiful game (the visual design i love) I played in a long time (almost finished Uncharted 3 before this, and it visual poweress is huge in both studios to acheive detail and fidelity in every single thing they decide to recreate, but it is no match to LoS2 aesthetics to fans of the fantastic. Even the cutscenes are realtime here).

Mercurysteam is such a talented and unknown studio (their website is a Joke, like a wasteland of javascript from 2008?!), and the horror stories we all hear from David Cox obnoxious persona (isn't he just a dude from Konami sent to produce - their IP and money afterall - the game and decide what to do, nothing to do wathsoever with actual development like Kojima, allbeit him getting all the attention in PR like he is MS CEO or something ) to make the game as he wanted just to shit on MS creation with his antics ... what does it mean to the future of the team?

There won't be a LoS3. I don't think there will be another joint Konami game, going on LoS2 sales, but i think the weak reviews meant less than the lack of interest did, as they wouldn't change the hype sales if there were some to be made. Castelvania really is in a tomb, it seems.

I really want to see more os MS engine in fantastical worlds.

Sydle

I finally finished this game and managed to get all of the collectables. I fell in love with Dracula's castle (seriously, magnificent stuff), but the city sections ranged from bad to just okay. It's like two different teams made the game and mashed them together.

The boss fights were a big highlight and the look of the game is just fantastic.

Overall I give it a 7/10, giving Dracula's Castle a 10/10 and the City a 5/10.

I know a MercurySteam let go of a lot of people after this game released, but I hope the team bounces back and gets to make something great again.

EDIT: Oh shit, I hope the last guy didn't get banned for bumping this thread. I just saw that the last entry was a few months ago so I thought it was safe.

Cetra

So I've just picked up LoS2 from Steam. And I was able to get through the initial encounter in the tutorial, but now the game just crashes every time Drac opens the first door. Anyone else encountered this?

I've tried disabling the Steam Overlay, I've tried manially editing the registry for the resolution I was to play at (Which is nothing insane, just 1080p). Any help would be appreciated!

Top Bottom