• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celebrating the Nintendo 64: Short reviews of all N64 games I own (145+ games)

Nice update. I never knew that Nuclear Strike came out for N64. I really enjoyed the Strike games for what they were back in the day. My favorite was Desert Strike, but Soviet Strike was pretty good as well.

Nice update. I never knew that Nuclear Strike came out for N64. I really enjoyed the Strike games for what they were back in the day. My favorite was Desert Strike, but Soviet Strike was pretty good as well.

I found the 3rd-gen Strike games boring, never have stuck with one long enough to get deeper into the game...

Finally read through everything. Awesome thread!

You get Stunt Racer 64 yet? Seems like it would be right up your alley.

It's a pretty interesting game, but I still prefer the Rush games

Edit: I was going to make a thread discussing how great the expansion pak was/is, but it looks like we already have had a few threads on it before.

I am curious why some games later on the N64's life didn't incorporate it. No Mercy and Banjo Tooie could have used it greatly.
I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't have had some sort of benefit.

-KRS-

Edit: I was going to make a thread discussing how great the expansion pak was/is, but it looks like we already have had a few threads on it before.

I am curious why some games later on the N64's life didn't incorporate it. No Mercy and Banjo Tooie could have used it greatly.

Probably so that as many people as possible would be able to play them. I'm guessing that at the end of the N64 era overall software sales for new titles were probably down, and having to buy an expansion pak to play a game if you didn't already have one would be seen as yet another obstacle in getting an already quite expensive game.

That said, it would've been nice if more games had optional support for it, as some games had. Although most of the ones that do have optional support for the expansion pak simply use it for high-res video output which mostly just make the framerate suffer.

Thanks. The N64 has always been my favorite console, and it's still pretty great. Getting some import N64 games has been interesting for sure...

Sadly no. It's been my most-wanted N64 game for a long time now, but I keep hoping to find it locally and still haven't. I really should just get it on ebay, but it costs quite a bit more than it did a few years ago online, which makes me hope to find a cheaper copy sometime or that the price will go back down... but of course that hasn't happened either.

Also a factor is that I haven't bought any US N64 games on ebay; my only ebay N64 games are the Japanese games, because of course you can't get those around here. But because Stunt Racer 64 was a rental-only game it's rare, so I haven't seen it. It surely doesn't help that there were not many Blockbuster stores up here, so there probably never were many copies of the game in this area... though I did found a couple other rental/online-only sale games locally (Clayfighter: Sculptor's Cut, Indy and the Infernal Machine), so you never know.

Yeah, as synt4x said it seems to have been because of aiming for the largest market as N64 sales started to decline in the second half of 2000 and beyond. I think it was a real mistake, and games like Conker and Banjo-Tooie really badly needed expansion pak support, but that does seem to be what they were thinking.

So yeah, blame the PS2, I kind of feel that the insane hype for that thing helped kill off both the N64 and Dreamcast a bit sooner than they should have...

Probably so that as many people as possible would be able to play them. I'm guessing that at the end of the N64 era overall software sales for new titles were probably down, and having to buy an expansion pak to play a game if you didn't already have one would be seen as yet another obstacle in getting an already quite expensive game.

That said, it would've been nice if more games had optional support for it, as some games had. Although most of the ones that do have optional support for the expansion pak simply use it for high-res video output which mostly just make the framerate suffer.

Yea, optional support is what I meant. It would have been great to have had that extra boost though.

Thanks. The N64 has always been my favorite console, and it's still pretty great. Getting some import N64 games has been interesting for sure...

Sadly no. It's been my most-wanted N64 game for a long time now, but I keep hoping to find it locally and still haven't. I really should just get it on ebay, but it costs quite a bit more than it did a few years ago online, which makes me hope to find a cheaper copy sometime or that the price will go back down... but of course that hasn't happened either.

Also a factor is that I haven't bought any US N64 games on ebay; my only ebay N64 games are the Japanese games, because of course you can't get those around here. But because Stunt Racer 64 was a rental-only game it's rare, so I haven't seen it. It surely doesn't help that there were not many Blockbuster stores up here, so there probably never were many copies of the game in this area... though I did found a couple other rental/online-only sale games locally (Clayfighter: Sculptor's Cut, Indy and the Infernal Machine), so you never know.

Yea, I actually saw one at my local game store for $30. Pretty decent. I could pick it up for you if you'd like. I see ebay has a few copies for $30, but they kinda look gross.

I would suggest getting it sooner rather than later. You know how retro game prices go haha.

Top Bottom