• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2014 Steam Hardware (and Software?) Partners - Updates in the OP

Nzyme32

UPDATES - PDF of the Machines but details are still scarce after a 7 minute "event" reveal of the machines. Gabe Newell is "deferring to the hardware vendors"

Possible Second Digital Storm Machine $2584 (GULP) // Digital Storm is "taking aim at the high end of the market, targeting consumers that demand the best possible gaming experience and who are looking for a PC capable of playing any title on their new 4K display.”- see Known Machines section

Webhallen Steam Machine (x3) - see Known Machines section

CYBERPOWERPC Steam Machine (x2) - see Known Machines section

Liveblogs will be available for the event. Here is a link to Ars Technica's Blog
t1389056400z4.png

Materiel.net confirms steam machine/reselling machines (poor translation) but claim's no further information for now as they are under NDA

Engadget have discovered 12 Steam machine partners "so far"
Alienware, Falcon Northwest, iBuyPower, CyberPowerPC, Origin PC, Gigabyte, Materiel.net, Webhallen, Alternate, Next, Zotac and Scan Computers are among the first companies signed on to support Valve's initiative, Engadget learned this afternoon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Throughout the week I will be doing my best to scour the web and put all the announcements and info here in the OP.

Valve will be kicking off their announcements with a press event on Monday 6th January at 5pm PT. Liveblogs avaialble. Information is scarce but the consensus is that the event will finally reveal who the hardware partners are and what products they will be bringing to market. Some media claim that software partners may also be revealed including games that will appear in 2014.

Valve have a slightly larger size booth than previous years so we can expect them and their partners to be showing off what they have both there and at each vendors' individual booths over the course of CES.

Last year's CES brought us surge of information regarding the Valve's plans for the future including the first confirmation of the Steam Machine project after Gabe was cornered in a toilet and asked for an interview. Hopefully there will be more of the same this year.

"Who is it for?" if old

Without further ado - "Thanks, and have fun"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Known Hardaware So Far (ALL MACHINES STILL PROTOTYPES - cases subject to change

Webhallen Steam Machine
Inside a white BitFenix ​​Phenom houses the Intel Core i7-4771 with Geforce GTX 780 and 16GB of DDR3 memory. More details are motherboard Asus H81I-Plus, hybrid storage with Seagate Thin SSHD 1 TB, water cooler Antec Cooler H2O 620 V4 and power supply Corsair CX 600M 600 W. Webhallen however, planning to release both cheaper and more lavish options.

- The plan is to introduce three different models: a really cost-effective machine that can compete with traditional consoles and two machines for those who want a power enough to run everything on high settings. Of course these will cost a penny, but they may on the other hand offer performance on a completely different level than the recently launched game consoles, says Anton Nilsson.

CyberPowerPC Steam Machines (x2) - $499/$699
CYBERPOWERPC Steam Machine A - $499

Case: CYBERPOWERPC Steam Machine Gaming Chassis
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5
Processor: AMD A6-6400K 3.90 GHz
Storage: 500GB SATA-III 7200 RPM HDD
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
Chipset: mITX motherboard w/ 802.11 WiFi + Bluetooth
Steam Controller
Steam OS

CYBERPOWERPC Steam Machine I - $699

Case: CYBERPOWERPC Steam Machine Gaming Chassis
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5
Processor: Intel Core i3-4330 3.50 GHz
Storage: 500GB SATA-III 7200 RPM HDD
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
Chipset: mITX motherboard w/ 802.11 AC WiFi + Bluetooth
Steam Controller
Steam OS

iBuyPower Steam Machine - $499
Radeon R9 270, 500GB HDD, WiFi & Bluetooth, Steam Controller included
"Smaller than Xbox One" & "Existing Steam for Linux games should run quite well at 1080p 60 FPS"

Digital Storm Steam Machine (x2?) - $1469/$2584
Range of configurations will be available up to - GTX Titan, 700W PSU, dual boot with Windows, CPU Liquid Cooling & "Advanced Thermal Management"
4.4" x 14.1" x 16.4" (Slightly bigger than Xbox One)
""Rather than try to compete with console pricing, our system takes aim at the high end of the market and capitalizes on PC gaming's biggest advantage, raw performance""
Digital Storm is "taking aim at the high end of the market, targeting consumers that demand the best possible gaming experience and who are looking for a PC capable of playing any title on their new 4K display.”

Unconfirmed Steam Machines

PiixL JetPack - approx $1000
"Capable of housing overclocked Intel Core i7 processors, up to 1TB of SSD storage and the latest graphics cards from Nvidia, including the Titan and GTX780"
Mountable with TVs (32 to 70" VESA compliant), Walls & Tables.
**Claimed to launch on New years day, but has not. Also has never used the moniker "Steam Machine" - possible licencing issue/dodgy?

Not a Steam Machine

Xi3 Piston - Valve have distanced themselves from Xi3 since CES 2013 clamming "no involvement since"

Speculation

It seems a safe assumption to expect to hear about streaming boxes. There is a possibility that these may be helped along by AMD and Intel specific creations.

The Oculus Rift folks are out in force for CES this week after arguably being the star of the show last year. Valve has an ever growing collaboration with Oculus despite building their own VR prototype to be shown along with lectures from both companies at Valve's Steam Dev Days between Jan 15th and 16th. There may be some clarification about this at CES. Palmer Luckey remains coy about the situation:

Impressions and Vids of Valve's ongoing Prototype Steam Machine beta, can be found over here

TeRey09

I still don't understand why I would get a SM over a regular custom.

I've always figured the Steam Machines were Valve's way of trying to become console manufacturers like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. Maybe take one of their places if they fail during this new current generation. I figure the SMs are a long play, over time PC gaming becomes extremely streamlined like consoles to make them the standard.

HoosTrax

I don't understand the obsession with emulating console-esque design cues, likely at the cost of noise and/or heat dissipation. If the point is subtlety, then you have stereo receiver-sized HTPCs or cases that look like fake speakers.

Nzyme32

I don't understand the obsession with emulating console-esque design cues, likely at the cost of noise and/or heat dissipation. If the point is subtlety, then you have stereo receiver-sized HTPCs or cases that look like fake speakers.
Well the point of steam machines is that they are cool and quiet by design. Size wise we only know of one that is larger than the Xbox one and everything else is smaller with some OEMs going for a quarter of the approx size of an Xbox one. Valves prototype is an example of that and the fact that PC performance can be contained in a lounge setting with a small form factor.

So, how does the $500 steam machine stack up against PS4 specs?

If worth the additional $100, then I'm sold.

Unless one of the aforementioned releases even better hardware, for the cost.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
It's a valid question. Why buy this when I can build my own for far less.

So go ahead and build your machine. Valve isn't stopping you. This is for people who want to easily take Steam to their living room.

And I'd like to see you build the iBuyPower Steam Machine for 'far less' than $500.

Very interested in the streaming boxes with A MD, hopefully they exist, for some reason I thought only nVidia could do it.

So go ahead and build your machine. Valve isn't stopping you. This is for people who want to easily take Steam to their living room.

And I'd like to see you build the iBuyPower Steam Machine for 'far less' than $500.

Yeah man, getting a pc in your living is far too hard now.

Nzyme32

Very interested in the streaming boxes with A MD, hopefully they exist, for some reason I thought only nVidia could it.
Actually someone pointed out to me that last ces AMDs kaveri apu was postponed and it is back this year. It is ssupposedly ideal for streaming and amusingly has a cores called "steamroller". Obviously thats not a real connection but it will be crucial to have both amd and Intel along with nvidia giving support to these machines if they are to be taken seriously

DarkFlow

Banned

I'm not looking to buy a mid level R270 and small 500gb HD, so that $500 means jack shit to me. Since I have a pc already, I plan to upgrade to this, since I don't need some parts.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2wntv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2wntv/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2wntv/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($90.64 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($98.72 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($103.79 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1489.10
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-05 22:02 EST-0500)
I added in some parts I already have, so this will be even cheaper for me, but I wanted to give a equal rundown.

Digital Storm Charges $2,086 for the same spec PC. So if that's any clue as to what the price will be for a steam machine worth a damn, it's not really smart to buy that over building it yourself. Unless almost $600 is no big deal.

Gnub

I would really like to get hands on the PiixL's Jetpack case and power supply and plop in my own internals. The Jetpack has the form factor I'm looking for in a living room pc. What are the chances of them selling a bare bones case with power supply?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Excited for what Valve is preparing. I'd like to see a v2 of the controller or something of the sort most though.

I still don't understand why I would get a SM over a regular custom.
There's no real good argument for it's existence that includes a mass market viability or doesn't have it's existence better justified by any of the realms it attempts to reconcile. It's just really a toy for a certain niche of enthusiasts.

Maybe the controller or some killer app they haven't announced yet can push it to being something worthwhile in its own right, but right now there's not much in terms of bullet points going for it. If we see some unprecedented modularity or subsidization going on though, it could take off.

Nzyme32

I'm not looking to buy a mid level R270 and small 500gb HD, so that $500 means jack shit to me. Since I have a pc already, I plan to upgrade to this, since I don't need some parts.

I added in some parts I already have, so this will be even cheaper for me, but I wanted to give a equal rundown.

Digital Storm Charges $2,086 for the same spec PC. So if that's any clue as to what the price will be for a steam machine worth a damn, it's not really smart to buy that over building it yourself. Unless almost $600 is no big deal.
You're building an ATX machine and comparing it to steam machines designed for the lounge that only use mITX or maybe mATX. No one is stopping you building an awesome PC. These are small machines that are designed for a wide variety of people that don't want to build or have a specific purpose or usage scenario such as streaming. All valve care about is you using steam. Think of steam machines as just another extension of steam. Nothing more. Each vendor is not intending to sell millions of these. Expect the story to be very different in 3 years though, when the power and price of the machines becomes far more competitive

DarkFlow

Banned
You're building an ATX machine and comparing it to steam machines designed for the lounge that only use mITX or maybe mATX. No one is stopping you building an awesome PC. These are small machines that are designed for a wide variety of people that don't want to build or have a specific purpose or usage scenario such as streaming. All valve care about is you using steam. Think of steam machines as just another extension of steam. Nothing more. Each vendor is not intending to sell millions of these. Expect the story to be very different in 3 years though, when the power and price of the machines becomes far more competitive

You're still not giving good reason why I should spend a crap ton more on a steam machine. I use my PC on my HD TV right now with no problems, and it's not really near it. So if your whole reason to get one, and spend more for less is so it looks nice in your living room, then more power to ya.

Nzyme32

I would really like to get hands on the PiixL's Jetpack case and power supply and plop in my own internals. The Jetpack has the form factor I'm looking for in a living room pc. What are the chances of them selling a bare bones case with power supply?
With such a unique form factor it almost seems silly for them not to. The only component that looks none standard is the PSU....looks like its from a server or something.

Nzyme32

You're still not giving good reason why I should spend a crap ton more on a steam machine. I use my PC on my HD TV right now with no problems, and it's not really near it. So if your whole reason to get one, and spend more for less is so it looks nice in your living room, then more power to ya.
I'm not trying to. Do not buy one. It clearly is not for you. Why is it hard to understand that other people may be interested in such a machine? How have I not made this more clear in my previous comment?

Rflagg

Some very interesting names there to be sure. I am getting more and more interested in going this route as the smaller then normal form factor would make my wife very happy.

LAMBO

"I don't understand"

There are people out there that would like to play PC games, but could never put one together themselves. Understand?

flying dutchman

Neo Member
So these machines dont contain a bluray drive? Do I have to download the games from steam to work or can I buy the PC game disc and run it on my steam machine?
The steam controller looks pretty poor to my eyes, so would there be a way to use a xbox or ps controller?

rrs

I wonder when I can buy one of the Steam controllers more than Steam Machines.

So these machines dont contain a bluray drive? Do I have to download the games from steam to work or can I buy the PC game disc and run it on my steam machine?
The steam controller looks pretty poor to my eyes, so would there be a way to use a xbox or ps controller?

Considering Steam is more or less about digital distribution I don't see any of the cheaper devices having one, but maybe high end devices will have one.

Nzyme32

All games are digital, so you can download everything. Some games are also available on disc but most PC gamers have moved away from this. You could buy usb external DVD or bluray drive if you really wanted to.

You can use most controllers with the machines whether that's Xbox 360 dual shock 3 or 4 mouse keyboard etc. The steam machine are just small PCs that will make PC gaming really easy to do

Hawk269

Not sure, but if someone were to get one of these, you cannot expect to get the same per dollar performance. The thing about these machines and PC's in general is that with a bit more money, you can play all the console ports at 1080p/60fps for the most part and after that upping certain settings.

It is all about choice with the SM and PC's, which you don't get with consoles in general. Yes, you will pay more, but you get more in return. The Xbox One and PS4 for the first time in a very long time are not cutting edge tech, they both were designed to be profitable very early on and that is why they are not as powerful as many wished they were.

The reason some people would prefer to go with a SM versus a custom build is that most of the SM's are going to have custom parts to fit into a smaller form factor than what you can build yourself and also look like a console. Personally, I would suggest anyone getting into PC gaming to build there own and target what they want performance wise. Get a DS4 or a Xbox 360 Controller with the Wireless dongle and you will have an amazing machine. The SM machines and basically what the XI is all about is to make it easy for people that do not want to build their own machine, which is fine for those that don't want to go through the trouble.

I just think people will need to be careful choosing a SM machine as some of them will be Linux only, which will limit the amount of games, while others will offer the duel boot of both Windows and Linux, which would be the way to go imho.

I think the idea behind these machines is pretty damn cool too though. For my personal use, I want something that can achieve 4k gaming, which nothing in small form factor will do for a very long time unless Nvidia new Maxwell GPU's are as powerful as they are being hinted as. If I can get a Xbox One sized box that can do 4k at 60fps with all the bells and whistles turned on, I would be there day one, but I don't see that happening in a box that size.

Hawk269

I am sure some of them will have drives, but to save on cost I can see some of them being just a digital machine. The only time I buy a Disk based PC game is a Limited Edition/Collectors Edition etc. 90% of my PC games are digital via Steam, Origin etc. I also build gaming rigs for people and I have been getting more and more people asking for rigs without a drive to save on space and moving parts etc.

Simple.

Big ass husky

Yorkie

The yorkie can cost more and doesn't do as many tricks, but it's small and convenient and not heavy as hell. Also the Yorkie comes pre-trained with all the necessary doggie supplies. Youtube and self help guides are your only option with the husky, which could be a problem/intimidating if you've never owned a dog before...PC. Whatever.

VanWinkle

But that $500 could mean a whole lot to people in a demographic that you are obviously not a part of. If you can show me a build that costs far less than $500 at the same performance as the iBuyPower machine, maybe I'll get that instead of this at I'm currently interested in. Nobody is saying this will be a compelling case for everybody, let alone every existing PC gamer.

Brisal73

DO NOT buy through Ibuy. I live only a few miles away and had to take my system back twice. I cannot even imagine what that would be like if I couldn't drive to the Ibuy location.

I just took the parts out and went to a much cheaper location nearby to help build my own.

Simple.

Big ass husky

Yorkie

The yorkie can cost more and doesn't do as many tricks, but it's small and convenient and not heavy as hell. Also the Yorkie comes pre-trained with all the necessary doggie supplies. Youtube and self help guides are your only option with the husky, which could be a problem/intimidating if you've never owned a dog before...PC. Whatever.
Best post of 2014 so far.

flying dutchman

Neo Member
I am sure some of them will have drives, but to save on cost I can see some of them being just a digital machine. The only time I buy a Disk based PC game is a Limited Edition/Collectors Edition etc. 90% of my PC games are digital via Steam, Origin etc. I also build gaming rigs for people and I have been getting more and more people asking for rigs without a drive to save on space and moving parts etc.
Cool. So is there anything different between a steam downloaded game code and a pc game disc code for the same game?
I just here about steam os now and so not sure if a game bought on disc built around windows will play on a steam machine.

Jesus man then wtf you worried about?

You are OBVIOUSLY not the target audience for the steam machine project so wtf you on about? Not everyone can build their own PC's ...

I heard it was slightly more powerful than the ps4 , but I don't think they said what the how much ram it has or the CPU. But you can upgrade it . If there are certain features on the ps4 that you like I say it would be beneficial to wait and see, because not all the features for steamOS like home streaming and media stuff(if you care about it) may not be available at launch.

Hawk269

Cool. So is there anything different between a steam downloaded game code and a pc game disc code for the same game?
I just here about steam os now and so not sure if a game bought on disc built around windows will play on a steam machine.

Nope. Other than some disk games that have Steam activation, you can load the game from disk to save on download times, but for the most part, you just enter the code and download the game via Steam.

If you buy a game on disk, but you buy a Steam Machine that only uses the Steam OS (which is Linux) based, then it won't work because I don't know of any disked based PC games that are written for Linux. If anything, if you buy a Steam Machine, get one with dual OS so you can take advantage of what Steam OS Linux can do and also have the massive library that is available via a Windows OS.

Top Bottom