• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2014 Steam Hardware (and Software?) Partners - Updates in the OP

So guys, what are your expectations in regards to software? Will we get a new game announcement, or maybe SteamOS ports of existing and future games? Maybe media services like Netflix?

Nzyme32

You can theoretically simply build your own steam machine right? It's just an OS.
Yes you can, and you are encouraged to do so. We may see more components turning up aimed at miniITX form factors at ces as steam machines act as a way to encourage small form factor builds. The only question is how much the controller costs since it appears that all licences steam machines get the controller for free. That said, you can always use any other compatible controller anyway

HariKari

So guys, what are your expectations in regards to software? Will we get a new game announcement, or maybe SteamOS ports of existing and future games? Maybe media services like Netflix?

There are problems with having Netflix on Linux. HTML5 might help that. But I'd imagine Netflix is a must have for any box that wants to be in the living room.

Well, I think only one site said there will be software announcements so far, so I'm not even sure there's going to be one. But if there will be I can see some future media service stuff. As for games, something what Sony and MS use to put up; a slide of "devs who are working on SteamOS right now and will support it" and maybe some specific game announcements.

I still don't understand why I would get a SM over a regular .

I'm hoping for a steam only machine that comes withthe controller but in a better case than the NUCs.

Not much option for custom builds there at a reasonable price at the moment imo.

Something running on high powered ARM could be great too if it is streaming only. I really don't like any of the current options for that.

The Shift

Banned
Really would like one of these, next gen consoles are unremarkable. What party does support for these units? Valve would do OS support but who is doing software(games) and hardware support? Will it be outsourced to a third party?

Bumhead

Banned

Maybe we will see a list of software and publisher/developer partners who are actively working on converting existing games and future releases to Linux/SteamOS.

Maybe some big name's confirmed for day-and-date releases with the Windows versions. I did previously think TitanFall would be a big name to announce as being available right out of the gate to get peoples attention, but that might be a bit early for the retail Steam boxes and being an EA & Origin game it's probably out of Valve's hands.

Interfectum

IIRC Valve said there would be "AAA software announcements" early 2014 or something like that.

hellocld

Not necessarily an expectation, but it'd be cool to see some sort of more defined roadmap in regards to SteamOS, like what sort of features we can expect to see rolled out and when.

And Source 2, of course. Curious to see what platforms/architectures it'll run on, possibly mobile? With that new Tegra announcement, I wouldn't be shocked if they show it running on mobile devices (if they show it at all, that is).

hellocld

There are problems with having Netflix on Linux. HTML5 might help that. But I'd imagine Netflix is a must have for any box that wants to be in the living room.

HTML5 would certainly help, and I've heard Netflix has said they'd like to drop Silverlight at some point. But in it's current state, couldn't they create some sort of SteamOS-specific app for it, similar to the one on current consoles? The PS3 has Netflix, and I'm fairly certain the OS there is some sort of Linux or FreeBSD base.

Dolor

"I don't understand"

There are people out there that would like to play PC games, but could never put one together themselves. Understand?

This. Or maybe they don't want to? Or maybe they're afraid to jeopardize $500+ worth of hardware on their first attempt at building a PC?

I even know many fairly tech-savvy people who I would put in one of these categories.

Not at all hard to imagine people who would like this. People who can't are not trying.

Bydobob

But I'd imagine Netflix is a must have for any box that wants to be in the living room.

I don't see why when most of these boxes will be hooked up to modern TVs with these apps already installed. I'd rather they concentrate on delivering the perfect Steam experience than get side-tracked with redundant extras.

Interfectum

I don't see why when most of these boxes will be hooked up to modern TVs with these apps already installed. I'd rather they concentrate on delivering the perfect Steam experience than get side-tracked with redundant extras.

I don't think slapping netflix, hulu, etc on there would detract too much from them working on the "Steam Experience"

They can just treat it like a F2P app that you start.

Dolor

I think this is a good point that Netflix is available basically everywhere. That being said, if I bought/built a SM of my own, I would like it to have the option to do Netflix as well. Would rather have it so that I only need one machine on.

Nzyme32

Liveblogs will be available for the event. Here is a link to Ars Technica's Blog & The Verge's live blog
t1389056400z4.png

The Verge speculation:
VALVE: MONDAY, 5PM PT / 8PM ET
Last year at CES, Valve held closed-door meetings with hardware partners to build momentum for its mysterious, reinvented gaming console. We got our hands on Valve's prototype Steam Machine and Steam Controller in November, but Valve still has a lot of questions to answer. In the next few days, we expect Valve's hardware and software partners to reveal the Steam Machines that you'll be able to buy later this year and the games you'll be able to play. We also might see some virtual reality gear; Valve could be making its own VR headset, but it's also been working to help the Oculus Rift take off. If you've been following Valve's console play since the initial Steam Box rumors, stay tuned: CES 2014 is Valve's first real coming out party.

You guys think that it might be possible to get game streaming without upgrading current hardware??

For example.

I have a rig in my basement with AMD 7970, i7, etc etc, huge machine.

Upstairs in living room I have a small factor PC running with an Intel integrated GPU.

Will Valve make this work by just installing Steam OS on the Small factor PC I currently own?

You guys think that it might be possible to get game streaming without upgrading current hardware??

For example.

I have a rig in my basement with AMD 7970, i7, etc etc, huge machine.

Upstairs in living room I have a small factor PC running with an Intel integrated GPU.

Will Valve make this work by just installing Steam OS on the Small factor PC I currently own?

Sure. You won't even necessarily need SteamOS for that, as the regular Win, Mac, Linux client will get that feature too.

Quirah

I don't know if it is old or not.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/cyberpowers_steam_machine_specs_revealed.html

CYBERPOWERPC Steam Machine A - $499

Case: CYBERPOWERPC Steam Machine Gaming Chassis
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5
Processor: AMD A6-6400K 3.90 GHz
Storage: 500GB SATA-III 7200 RPM HDD
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
Chipset: mITX motherboard w/ 802.11 WiFi + Bluetooth
Steam Controller
Steam OS

CYBERPOWERPC Steam Machine I - $699

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5
Processor: Intel Core i3-4330 3.50 GHz
Chipset: mITX motherboard w/ 802.11 AC WiFi + Bluetooth
Steam Controller
Steam OS

Nzyme32

Steam Controller
Steam OS

Steam Controller
Steam OS

Brilliant find, adding to OP. Thanks! Those machines are very competitively priced by the looks of it, although I hear mixed things about Cyberpower PC

Zeknurn

Sweclockers has specs and two pictures of Webhallen's Steam Machine prototype.
http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/18...-machines-visar-forsta-prototypen-pa-ces-2014

They got involved in a late stage but they had a clear idea on what they were going to do.

MiniITX formfactor
Chassi: Bitfenix Phenom
CPU: I7-4771
GPU: GTX 780
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
Motherboard: Asus H81I-Plus
Storage: Hybrid Seagate Thin SSHD 1TB
Water cooling: Antec Kühjler H20 620 V4
PSU: Corsair CX 600M W

The plan is to have three SKUs. One that is very price efficient to compete with the current gen consoles and two more expensive ones for people that want enough power for high settings.

No date set but the time plan is to release them during the summer months.

In the comment section Webhallen added that this prototype was thrown together in a few weeks and that the finished product will feature a custom designed chassi with size and finish more like the current gen consoles.

Nzyme32

Webhallen posted in the comment section stating that it's a quick prototype they threw together in a few weeks and that the finished product will have a custom designed chassi more like the current gen consoles.

Yeah, the bit fenix case suggested that too. I added a note to the OP since almost all of them have said the same thing. The cyberpowerPC look bad, almost as if it's to appeal to a child. And thanks for the link by the way, I can't keep the thread going without you guys!

I want to see some cheap streaming devices already.

I'm keeping my eyes open, we know they are coming, so stay tuned!

When can I just buy the Steam controller?

We will hopefully find out this week. There is so much we don't know about the roll out. For all we know, Steam may incorporate a hardware store to make shopping easier

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Steam Controller
Steam OS

Steam Controller
Steam OS

Nice find. I can build better machines for a cheaper price than that. Hm. I was hoping to get a good "deal" on one of these machines. Otherwise, I'll continue building my first gaming PC. I'd like a small console-like form factor and the ability to just buy it and be done. But if it's not available, no problem.

Depending on price, I'll still look into getting a controller.

Nzyme32

Nice find. I can build better machines for a cheaper price than that. Hm. I was hoping to get a good "deal" on one of these machines. Otherwise, I'll continue building my first gaming PC. I'd like a small console-like form factor and the ability to just buy it and be done. But if it's not available, no problem.

Depending on price, I'll still look into getting a controller.

That is the smart thing to do if you have building knowledge or would like to have a unique machine. I'll be doing the same although the steaming options may lead me to simply buying one of those and building a bigger PC elsewhere in my home

longdi

Banned

Steam Controller
Steam OS

Steam Controller
Steam OS

499 seems a lot more power relative to xbox one.
how do cyberpowerpc make money?

Quirah

Digital Storm's hardwares;

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD: 120GB Corsair Neutron GTX
Storage: 1TB (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
Cooling: 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS H87I-PLUS
Power Supply: 500W Digital Storm Bolt II Edition
Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
Price: $2,584

http://kotaku.com/the-first-liquid-...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Nzyme32

I am updating my OP in this thread frequently.

Known Hardaware So Far (ALL MACHINES STILL PROTOTYPES - cases subject to change

Webhallen Steam Machine
Inside a white BitFenix ​​Phenom houses the Intel Core i7-4771 with Geforce GTX 780 and 16GB of DDR3 memory. More details are motherboard Asus H81I-Plus, hybrid storage with Seagate Thin SSHD 1 TB, water cooler Antec Cooler H2O 620 V4 and power supply Corsair CX 600M 600 W. Webhallen however, planning to release both cheaper and more lavish options.

- The plan is to introduce three different models: a really cost-effective machine that can compete with traditional consoles and two machines for those who want a power enough to run everything on high settings. Of course these will cost a penny, but they may on the other hand offer performance on a completely different level than the recently launched game consoles, says Anton Nilsson.

CyberPowerPC Steam Machines (x2) - $499/$699

Steam Controller
Steam OS

Steam Controller
Steam OS

iBuyPower Steam Machine - $499
Radeon R9 270, 500GB HDD, WiFi & Bluetooth, Steam Controller included
"Smaller than Xbox One" & "Existing Steam for Linux games should run quite well at 1080p 60 FPS"

Digital Storm Steam Machine - $1469
Range of configurations will be available up to - GTX Titan, 700W PSU, dual boot with Windows, CPU Liquid Cooling & "Advanced Thermal Management"
4.4" x 14.1" x 16.4" (Slightly bigger than Xbox One)
""Rather than try to compete with console pricing, our system takes aim at the high end of the market and capitalizes on PC gaming's biggest advantage, raw performance""

Unconfirmed Steam Machines

PiixL JetPack - approx $1000
"Capable of housing overclocked Intel Core i7 processors, up to 1TB of SSD storage and the latest graphics cards from Nvidia, including the Titan and GTX780"
Mountable with TVs (32 to 70" VESA compliant), Walls & Tables.
**Claimed to launch on New years day, but has not. Also has never used the moniker "Steam Machine" - possible licencing issue/dodgy?

Not a Steam Machine

Xi3 Piston - Valve have distanced themselves from Xi3 since CES 2013 clamming "no involvement since"

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GBP
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770KP
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz P
SSD: 120GB Corsair Neutron GTXP
Storage: 1TB (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)P
Cooling: 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU CoolerP
Motherboard: ASUS H87I-PLUSP
Power Supply: 500W Digital Storm Bolt II EditionP
Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-DriveP
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited WarrantyP
Price: $2,584P

http://kotaku.com/the-first-liquid-...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

$2,584!, bwaaahahahahaha, no, just no.

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD: 120GB Corsair Neutron GTX
Storage: 1TB (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
Cooling: 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS H87I-PLUS
Power Supply: 500W Digital Storm Bolt II Edition
Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
Price: $2,584

Who would buy this?

AzaK

All I care about is if any have the performance of PS4 at a similar price. I'd pay a little more due to cheaper games but not much.

Top Bottom