• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2014 Steam Hardware (and Software?) Partners - Updates in the OP

Eh, I'm not impressed by the partner lineup so far. These PC makers are fine but Valve will want to have bigger companies making Steam Machines if they really want to make a splash. Companies like HP,Lenovo, Samsung, Asus etc.

Nosferatu

Banned
Eh, I'm not impressed by the partner lineup so far. These PC makers are fine but Valve will want to have bigger companies making Steam Machines if they really want to make a splash. Companies like HP,Lenovo, Samsung, Asus etc.

I would not want HP or Lenovo in on this..Samsung and Asus fine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's a valid question. Why buy this when I can build my own for far less.

I'd absolutely buy a custom case like this - I have no idea why they aren't already more widely available. I tried to buy a SFF PC last year and ended up building around a bitfenix prodigy, not the smallest but still good.

I do think it is too early to go pure steam machine with Linux only - if I was spending $1000 on one of ese I'd want it dual booting windows too (I,m ignoring the $500 machines as they will be underpowered)

Btw, for streaming (much more interesting currently as you can use your existing PC), have valve released requirements? Eg is it limited to nvidia GPUs like shield is?

I'll be looking to spend $800 to $900 to build me a Gaming rig next month. I wonder if i should look into a steam machine or just build a PC from scratch and dual boot Steam OS?

Anteater

I still don't understand why I would get a SM over a regular custom.

There's no reason to if you could build something identical in size and function and costs less, and also don't actually mind the effort.

It's just for people who doesn't want to build their own.

dsk1210

I will probably pick up a barebones case, recycle some of my parts and a couple of upgrades.

The case design has been a long time coming, at least this should set a standard in design that will make sure all future components are designed to fit in the case, tht was always a problem for me when buying a case, I wanted small factor but did not want to limit my choices, I ended up with a nxt phantom which is fucking huge.

Will steam make their own steam machines or they won't now? ( I tried to find info) . Also I wonder the partners will be able to effectively distribute the steam boxes to other countries

SparkTR

Will steam make their own steam machines or they won't now? ( I tried to find info) . Also I wonder the partners will be able to effectively distribute the steam boxes to other countries

Valve won't sell their own. I'm guessing you can buy them online or PC stores, the good thing is some of those partners are located in 'other countries' (like Materiel.net), so you could have a local distributor where you live.

Jabba

Banned
"I don't understand"

There are people out there that would like to play PC games, but could never put one together themselves. Understand?

Agree with you. Nor do they have someone to build it for them or they don't want to chance building one either. Yes, it's a reality in 2014.

Simple concept.

Stimpack

Looks like I'm sticking with my computer, a PS4, and this $7 25' hdmi cable for a while. I doubt these are ever going to be appealing to someone who can build the machine themselves, but hopefully companies will invest in smaller form factor parts that we can buy for lower prices. Also interested in the streaming options. If I could have one device that streams to any display in my house, well, that's the dream.

One is an international uk distributer, another is based in Hong Kong , and very few in some european countries.

That's why bigger OEMs like HP and Lenovo are needed, their reach is worldwide. Otherwise a lot of people will not have any way of buying a Steam Machine.

I find it quite ironic how you've been approaching this Steam Universe initiative with a console mindset. Exclusives, competition, immediate success. Valve already said they aren't approaching it from this angle. And it wouldn't be like them to do so.

And why would Samsung be interested in this?

When's the in-home streaming beta gonna drop? I'm anxious to try it out.

"Soon."

Zeknurn

That's why bigger OEMs like HP and Lenovo are needed, their reach is worldwide. Otherwise a lot of people will not have any way of buying a Steam Machine.

It's going take longer for bigger OEMs to get moving compared to the small PC builders. I wouldn't worry about Asus, HP and Samsung getting aboard considering they have been throwing all kind of shit Android and Chromebook devices out there ever since the "PC market started dying". They are going to try everything.

J-Rzez

I'll be looking to spend $800 to $900 to build me a Gaming rig next month. I wonder if i should look into a steam machine or just build a PC from scratch and dual boot Steam OS?

Build it yourself. Even if you can't get everything at the same price, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you put it together yourself at least. Only reason to look at these steam machines is if you're terrified of games like tetris (aka, suck at matching what plugs in what/where, even by plain sight), have too much money and want to just say you have a "falcon steam machine", or just really like the look of an exclusive case.

Morzak

Build it yourself. Even if you can't get everything at the same price, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you put it together yourself at least. Only reason to look at these steam machines is if you're terrified of games like tetris (aka, suck at matching what plugs in what/where, even by plain sight), have too much money and want to just say you have a "falcon steam machine", or just really like the look of an exclusive case.

Or you just don't want to invest the time in building one, dealing with possible DOA components and having to identify which component doesn't work properly....... i build my own PC's but there are plenty of people that don't want to deal with it...... Still you can buy a pre built machine with windows ( for the near future you will have to install it anyways, if you want access to a big game library and non steam games).

Still not sold on Steam OS there are good things, but it just seems to be a way to keep newcomers in the steam eco system and making it harder for other DD systems to sell you games.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You know very little about Steam Machines and are already dismissing them. Give me a break.

Nzyme32

Looks like I'm sticking with my computer, a PS4, and this $7 25' hdmi cable for a while. I doubt these are ever going to be appealing to someone who can build the machine themselves, but hopefully companies will invest in smaller form factor parts that we can buy for lower prices. Also interested in the streaming options. If I could have one device that streams to any display in my house, well, that's the dream.
I think all of that is possible. More than anything steam machines isn't just about the machines but rather inspiring both users and OEMS to consider the lounge in a more focused way than has naturally occurred. Whilst I don't intend to get a machine other than perhaps a streaming one, it has inspired me to build my own and I'm sure over time components more directed for small form factor machines will show up. We may even see some at ces this week. I think all of that is part of Valve's plan

I find it quite ironic how you've been approaching this Steam Universe initiative with a console mindset. Exclusives, competition, immediate success. Valve already said they aren't approaching it from this angle. And it wouldn't be like them to do so.

Exclusives and competition yes, immediate success no. Consoles are competition to Steam, whether Valve think so or not. Closed platforms are everywhere and the clock is ticking.

It's going take longer for bigger OEMs to get moving compared to the small PC builders. I wouldn't worry about Asus, HP and Samsung getting aboard considering they have been throwing all kind of shit Android and Chromebook devices out there ever since the "PC market started dying". They are going to try everything.

I hope so, Steam Machines are a good way for OEMs to make some money from the console market.

Thrakier

"I don't understand"

There are people out there that would like to play PC games, but could never put one together themselves. Understand?

But they pay a lot of money for a machine which does only a small percentage of what a fully capable pc could be doing...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
But they pay a lot of money for a machine which does only a small percentage of what a fully capable pc could be doing...
"Why buy an iPad when you could buy a Netbook instead?"

Very interesting! They certainly seem like an ideal vendor. I think we are missing a lot of details still and there still may be more to be spoken for

Only a few hours left to find out :) SteamOS and Linux in general will increase their market share only if Valve manage to put Steam Machines in people's houses. It is not just about volume and distribution, companies like Lenovo and Samsung have the clout and the marketing budget to really push these.

It's not going to be live streamed anyway.

Also, Engadget didn't mention Digital Storm, who will introduce their SM too, so yeah, there's going to be more partners probably.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I expect case makers will be putting out more console-esque designs out in the next year or so....

I hope so. I can't remember the last time I used the dvd drive in my computer yet most cases seem to provide a space where I can install 6 and a floppy drive

HariKari

You can theoretically simply build your own steam machine right? It's just an OS.

Yes. A steam machine is more like a form factor. Anything with SteamOS installed falls under that umbrella. A fancy way of marketing small form factor PCs that don't necessarily have Windows on them.

The OS and controller are geared towards living room gaming. It can still be used for your PC if you are gamepad-inclined.

Tenck

You can theoretically simply build your own steam machine right? It's just an OS.

It's a free OS. Only thing you'd buy is a different HDD (current SteamOS release deletes everything off your HDD) if you want to try it out.

Edit: I'd kill for that Digital Storm case. Too bad I want to go crazy with my next build (SLI) so I'll need as much room as I can get :(

Top Bottom