• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES2020: While Consoles catch up to PC specs, PCs are (have) caught up to console form factor.

Of course I'm referring to the Alienware UFO with it switch like form factor.

Where do you see PC form factor go in the future as it moves from the desktop to the living to now anywhere?

Will it be niche, a companion to consoles,
as it is today, or find a market where it could replace consoles in the living room.

Of course when it comes to Consoles and PC, one must acknowledge the history of both the past and present examples:

In gaming past, one could not sell what we now call a "video game console" soley unless it was sold as a Personal Computer. And for more recent, in the failure of Steam Machine, Valve was not able to bring the PCs in a video game space. With that, how does the maket move for gaming and PC?

There's no mistake that the Series X takes on a Mini PC tower form factor like the iMac and even cues from HP's 2016 "Wave"

Maybe we'll even see modular gaming PC in the near future like the 2014 Razar Project Cristine but take on a form factor much like The Elite Slice

Last edited:
Considering how most PC towers, hardware and peripherals are designed, I'd say that consumer base couldn't care less.

That crowd seems to love design that in my opinion is utterly tasteless, gross and the opposite of sleek. But that's just my opinion of course 😁

I'm getting some mixed messages in regards to who's catching up to who and who's copying who.

6l3KFiV.jpg

Anyway, most pc users won't care, the tower form factor is the best when it comes to thermals and it will be continued to be used.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Er, small form cases for mini/micro atx boards (or even smaller custom stuff) aren't a 2020 invention (nor is water cooling guy, lol). Just not one most people care to pay and make extra effort for when full/medium towers are perfectly serviceable & only a bad point for platform fanboys and trolls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom