• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheap Arse Gaffer |Europe| Cheap, Calm, and Carry On

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoon

Hey guys, so I want to pre-order the bayonetta Special Edition (the two disk version; not the first print edition). Zavvi.nl ( the 'dutch website' of zavvi.co.uk) has it for 51.99 Euro's. However I read stories here that Zavvi is unreliable. So any suggestion or alternatives? shipping to mainland Europe is required!

Zavvi is not unreliable. Been using them for years without problems.

Why not just use amazon.fr, spend 2-3 EUR more and get it faster?

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00NBPD4NG/

TheMoon

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you know if the ingame text is English though? I do not speak French XD

Nintendo release = EFIGS. Always. There is only one Special Edition SKU for Europe. Every country gets exactly the same box and disc with all 5 languages. That's why you get to marvel at the glorious (sarcasm) USK logo in all countries, too.

jimi_dini

I need to vent a bit.

I ordered Eyes Of Bayonetta over a month ago at bookdepository.com. Around 1 week later, I received an email saying that it got sent out.

Last week I contacted their support, because I never received it. They said that it was shipped from UK, which means it should have arrived within a few days. They wanted to send a replacement.

And just now I'm actually getting a cancellation email :( Just ordered it again from a trustworthy shop. They say that it will take 1 month till shipping, but at least it will hopefully work out.

I need to vent a bit.

I ordered Eyes Of Bayonetta over a month ago at bookdepository.com. Around 1 week later, I received an email saying that it got sent out.

Last week I contacted their support, because I never received it. They said that it was shipped from UK, which means it should have arrived within a few days. They wanted to send a replacement.

And just now I'm actually getting a cancellation email :( Just ordered it again from a trustworthy shop. They say that it will take 1 month till shipping, but at least it will hopefully work out.

So did bookdepository.com fully refund you?

I'm under the impression that you're getting shafted a lot recently. ;-(

Zafir

That sucks, I've never had any issue with them and they tend to be cheaper for some of the more niche kind of books.

jimi_dini

So did bookdepository.com fully refund you?

Maybe. I will have to talk to VISA and verify that they did refund me. Otherwise I will just deny the original charges :/

I'm under the impression that you're getting shafted a lot recently. ;-(

Yep :/

I read that the bookdepository was bought by amazon. And from then on service got worse and worse. I ordered the Dark Souls 1 guide from there and everything worked fine. But that was before amazon.

Hey guys, so I want to pre-order the bayonetta Special Edition (the two disk version; not the first print edition). Zavvi.nl ( the 'dutch website' of zavvi.co.uk) has it for 51.99 Euro's. However I read stories here that Zavvi is unreliable. So any suggestion or alternatives? shipping to mainland Europe is required!

Zavvi is a mixed bag, some people have no problems, others have issues, I found that a few years back when they changed how they function delivery times were taking over 2 weeks to get to me because they moved their warehouses, also had issues where they allow you to order something 'in stock' only to cancel it 2 weeks later due to no stock, so go with it if you don't mind chance.

jimi_dini

Alien + Alien Resurrection Steelbook - 7pounds each
Aliens Steelbook - 7.50pounds
Alien 3 Steelbook - 8pounds

@ zavvi

I doubt that they will get any cheaper (Alien 3 maybe, but it's a risk to wait, they are way more expensive at amazon UK and Aliens Steelbook is even zavvi exclusive)

Zavvi is not unreliable. Been using them for years without problems.

Signed

I ordered around 400 or 500 items from them. Not a single one was lost(*). delivery times are way better for the last 2 years or so (...and they ship from outside EU, which means it automatically takes longer and also goes through customs).

(*) - Jurassic Park LE took over a month to show up. They sent a replacement copy and some days later the original copy arrived. And another week later the replacement arrived as well.

I guess if something gets lost, then it's probably bad luck and/or your postal office.

Sakujou

Banned
there is no way of getting the first print of bayonetta 2 right? i mean like the super hardcore limited thingy....

i only have preordered the french version because its the cheapest on mainland europe...

I guess if something gets lost, then it's probably bad luck and/or your postal office.

Well, I preordered Fire Emblem Awakening from them for what probably was too cheap a price for them to honour (because of some glitch with discount codes iirc).

Anyway, I did get an email that my game was shipped, but never received the game. Which was the first time EVER I didn't receive an online order.

I contacted them about me not receiving it. They had me filling out a Form of Non-Receipt or something. Immediately filled it out and emailed it back to them. No reply. Contacted them again about a week later and they claimed not having received the form. So they sent me another form which I filled out again and emailed back. Then after a day or two they claimed the game was out of stock (this was about a month and a half after the release date, and the game had been in stock up to that very week.) and so they refunded me. The next weekend the game was back in stock on their site.

So yeah, that's a lot of "bad luck" piled up there. I ended up getting it elsewhere.

Apart from this specific case, and another case where I never got the game, but got a replacement sent to me afterwards, I've never had any major problems with Zavvi though. In terms of shipment times they are by far the slowest British online retailer however.

there is no way of getting the first print of bayonetta 2 right? i mean like the super hardcore limited thingy....

i only have preordered the french version because its the cheapest on mainland europe...

There is no "french version". It's the same version throughout Europe.

Zavvi is a mixed bag, some people have no problems, others have issues, I found that a few years back when they changed how they function delivery times were taking over 2 weeks to get to me because they moved their warehouses, also had issues where they allow you to order something 'in stock' only to cancel it 2 weeks later due to no stock, so go with it if you don't mind chance.

The thing about Zavvi is that people in this thread use them way more than any other retailer and so even if 1% of things go wrong at amazon and at Zavvi, it's Zavvi that will generate more "bad news" stories. And a lot of their customers in this thread are from mainland Europe which will always add complications in getting stuff to you reliably where other companies are UK only and so don't have that to worry about.

Oh, and the fact that when things do go wrong, Zavvi are pretty bloody shit at coping with it. That doesn't help.

I seriously doubt they're any worse than any other retailer at actually getting a normal, standard order to someone.

King_Moc

Banned
The thing about Zavvi is that people in this thread use them way more than any other retailer and so even if 1% of things go wrong at amazon and at Zavvi, it's Zavvi that will generate more "bad news" stories. And a lot of their customers in this thread are from mainland Europe which will always add complications in getting stuff to you reliably where other companies are UK only and so don't have that to worry about.

Oh, and the fact that when things do go wrong, Zavvi are pretty bloody shit at coping with it. That doesn't help.

I seriously doubt they're any worse than any other retailer at actually getting a normal, standard order to someone.

I've used Zavvi about 3 or 4 times ever. Twice they failed to ship a preorder until about a week after launch day.

jimi_dini

In terms of shipment times they are by far the slowest British online retailer however.

They ship from outside of EU. It seems the company itself is registered in UK, but that's not from where they ship stuff (I'm not sure if they ship anything at all from UK)

Oh and sure, don't use them for preorders in case you want to receive it fast. That's a given. Even when they ship it a few days before release, it's still almost impossible to receive it near release day because of them shipping from outside EU. That's the price to pay for cheap prices :p

btw. all 4 steelbooks were shipped within an hour after ordering. I'm impressed.

Can someone tell me why the PAL version of Star Ocean The Last Hope International cost more than the NTSC version?

Does the PAL version has something extra?

Why is it hard to find it cheap? The game is old. Even second hand copy is not cheap.

It's all about supply and demand. I bought my copy of Star Ocean for next to nothing and it's still quite cheap to pick up new in Sweden. Many niche games turn expensive once they hit the used market due to small print runs.

Can someone tell me why the PAL version of Star Ocean The Last Hope International cost more than the NTSC version?

Does the PAL version has something extra?

Why is it hard to find it cheap? The game is old. Even second hand copy is not cheap.

Most Square games have a "window of opportunity" during which they are quite cheap. That windows is usually a few months after release. E.g. Theatrhythm was €15 about a month an a half after release, then only went up and up in price. Star Ocean has been €15 at Zavvi too about 2 years ago.

I've been told at a retail store once that this can be the case because of how contracts between the publisher/distributor and the retailer are negotiated. E.g. retailers are allowed to put a discount on a game a few months after its release if they keep the game on the shelves for 6 months or 1 year. If it doesn't sell out, they can then return the remainder of copies to the publisher/distributor who will redistribute them.

So if you want a Square game cheap, it's key to buy it during that window.

Doesn't mean that there aren't any exceptions, but that's how things seem to be in general.

Sakujou

Banned
Theatrhythm: Curtain Call (3DS) for £19.95 at TGC.

Today only.

thanks totally was waiting for such a price. in know this game wont be cheaper than this. i got lucky around 2 years ago when the first game was available for 15pounds, afterwards it wasnt cheaper than 20pounds...

hope this game wont receive any stupid dlc...

Sakujou

Banned
http://www.theatrhythm.com/dlc.html

I am still okay with it though. Even if you don't buy DLC you'll have enough songs and content. Easily worth the money.

the first entry of this game had over 100€ worth of DLC included. i got furious when i saw it the first time.

oh damn, doesnt look this good :/

also what the fuck, the checkout was much more expensive than thought: 28€=21pounds... why is GBP so strong....AGAIN!?!?!?

Is anybody importing the NTSC version of Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus? Is it worth it? I read that this game has some DLCs and I also heard that account switching on PS Vita is not easy as you can do on PlayStation 3.

I am unfamiliar with the series so is the DLCs is like Drakengard 3? Lots of story DLCs. I do not care about cosmetic DLCs.

If it is not worth importing then how soon will the digital release go on sale? I heard the price will be €29.99 (~£23.60).

Zhao_Yun

Is anybody importing the NTSC version of Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus? Is it worth it? I read that this game has some DLCs and I also heard that account switching on PS Vita is not easy as you can do on PlayStation 3.

I am unfamiliar with the series so is the DLCs is like Drakengard 3? Lots of story DLCs. I do not care about cosmetic DLCs.

If it is not worth importing then how soon will the digital release go on sale? I heard the price will be €29.99 (~£23.60).

From the OT
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=908105

Is there DLC?

A lot! There will be DLC for two additional characters with their own story modes, as well as new clothes, accessories and coins for the panty lottery. And the best part is the DLC in this game can be used in Bon Appetit, as well. No need to buy that favorite costume twice.

The two character DLC seem to be the biggest ones.
Game will release on the 15th October in Europe and I think 29,99€ is the correct price.

Afaik it's mostly cosmetic, but with the Japanese version there were also 2 playable characters offered as DLC, who each have their particular storyline. There was also free Halloween and Christmas DLC, if you fancy that.

Personally, I wouldn't bother getting the US version unless you want the (limited) physical release.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
What's the cheapest deal around for Wolfenstein New Order (PS4)? Boxed (even used) or digital (preferred), if physical it must ship to continental EU.

Also looking for South Park The Stick of Truth 360/PS3 (better if the non-censored NA sku).
I know this one's MSRP was just $40, my brother is in the States at the moment and I had a look at Gamestop which is selling it preowned for $35, lol fuck off Gamestop

Also looking for South Park The Stick of Truth 360/PS3 (better if the non-censored NA sku).
I know this one's MSRP was just $40, my brother is in the States at the moment and I had a look at Gamestop which is selling it preowned for $35, lol fuck off Gamestop

VGP have it (new) for CAD$39.99 (~€28,3) (+ $7.49 shipping).

The Canadian dollar is considerably cheaper than US$.

Dash Kappei

VGP have it (new) for CAD$39.99 (~€28,3) (+ $7.49 shipping).

The Canadian dollar is considerably cheaper than US$.

Yeah, that's too much. Game's selling new for £15, even then that would cost me roughly the same as getting it in-store for $40+tax, plus I was hit by customs last time I used VGP, never again anything over 22€ from them!

Looking to spend no more than €25 shipping included.
Thanks tho!

Zafir

Did they stop marking down then? Every time I've ordered from them they marked down so I never got hit.

keep

Same here, last thing I bought from VGP was the special edition of Ys Celceta, which came in a big box and was worth around 60 Canadian dollars, but they marked it as a gift so it didn't get picked up by customs!

flohen95

Sometimes Customs will hold up the delivery, regardless of declared value. That either happens when something is wrong with the way the item is declared, when they suspect that the declared value isn't correct or at pure random. In that case, you have to go to the customs office with some kind of way to prove the value, and they will then charge customs depending on that value. Happened to me on different occasions.

Zhao_Yun

Recently bought Theatrhythm FF: CC from VGP and wasn't hit by customs either. I guess Dash Kappei just had bad luck. Still sucks though.

Dash Kappei

Recently bought Theatrhythm FF: CC from VGP and wasn't hit by customs either. I guess Dash Kappei just had bad luck. Still sucks though.

My package was marked as a gift but the value was $53 CND... paid €18 ffs :/
Only time I had to pay customs beside another time (with Play-Asia). Still it was enough to make me rethink when and what to order from VGP.

Rixa

FinlandGAF: Xbox One at price 299€ (kinectless version).

These in Espoonlahti Anttila & Myyrmanni Anttila (due to both Anttilas being closed), offer is valid til 15.10.14 (or when sold out).

^^ Cheapest X1 in EU?

keep

Only time I had to pay customs beside another time (with Play-Asia). Still it was enough to make me rethink when and what to order from VGP.

I know this has been discussed to death here but the whole customs issue is dodgy as hell. I can understand (sort of) having to pay VAT, but the whole 'post office handling fees' charge is utterly ridiculous.

This has made me abstain from importing even though I only got hit once about 5 years ago. I don't want that stress and I got enough games coming out in Europe, but talk about anti-consumer practices.

I know this has been discussed to death here but the whole customs issue is dodgy as hell. I can understand (sort of) having to pay VAT, but the whole 'post office handling fees' charge is utterly ridiculous.

This has made me abstain from importing even though I only got hit once about 5 years ago. I don't want that stress and I got enough games coming out in Europe, but talk about anti-consumer practices.

The thing is... the law says SOMEONE has to declare any packages worth over €22 to customs.

If you don't want your national postal service to declare your package, then you have to contact them about it beforehand. You will have to find some other agent doing the declaration for you though, and the fees of those are typically higher than what your national postal service charges you for it.

I actually considered doing the declaration myself for a fairly expensive package a while ago and the many people in that import business I spoke about it either didn't know if you could actually declare stuff yourself as a civilian (these were people who did importing on a professional basis, mind you), or they advised me not to because "customs don't like to work with civilians and will stall your package for weeks, even months".

keep

That's just ridiculous. The system needs an overhaul. I think they are getting away with it because it is not a major issue (yet), but as more and more people buy stuff online, imports will become a major player and they will have to standarise it in some way. I'd like to think this is a bit similar to roaming data charges when travelling abroad. Five years ago, the prices were exorbitant, but these days many major phone companies have lowered the prices and are even offering deals for people travelling abroad, as it is becoming a reality that customers need/want to use their phones abroad.

That's just ridiculous. The system needs an overhaul. I think they are getting away with it because it is not a major issue (yet), but as more and more people buy stuff online, imports will become a major player and they will have to standarise it in some way. I'd like to think this is a bit similar to roaming data charges when travelling abroad. Five years ago, the prices were exorbitant, but these days many major phone companies have lowered the prices and are even offering deals for people travelling abroad, as it is becoming a reality that customers need/want to use their phones abroad.

I think for now people mostly buy online from stores in either their own country or within the EU. And I'm actually not seeing that changing right away. People importing from outside of the EU are going to remain a minority. Simply because once entrepreneurs notice how many people start importing a certain product from abroad, it starts to make sense for them economically to import it themselves and offer it locally. Which will result in people ordering locally again.

jimi_dini

I think for now people mostly buy online from stores in either their own country or within the EU. And I'm actually not seeing that changing right away. People importing from outside of the EU are going to remain a minority. Simply because once entrepreneurs notice how many people start importing a certain product from abroad, it starts to make sense for them economically to import it themselves and offer it locally. Which will result in people ordering locally again.

You should tell that companies, that release special / Limited Editions of BluRays and/or video games in Japan + US. Also for example all sorts of Silent Hill figurines were created and sold in Japan + US. In Europe, you had to import those (I did, one of those is currently waiting for me at the post office).

Also another example: the best Evil Dead 3 Army Of Darkness release on BluRay was released exclusively in Australia and I had to import that sucker.

You should tell that companies, that release special / Limited Editions of BluRays and/or video games in Japan + US. Also for example all sorts of Silent Hill figurines were created and sold in Japan + US. In Europe, you had to import those (I did, one of those is currently waiting for me at the post office).

Well, it has to be economically viable. One guy in the Alps importing limited stuff isn't enough for them to start stocking up on rare and cool stuff. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom