• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheap Arse Gaffer |Europe| Cheap, Calm, and Carry On

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoon

As I say, businesses should have to earn your business. If I bought something online and it went missing and the customer service was crap or something and so I lost my money, I wouldn't shop there any more. You're telling Sega they can do whatever they want because you'll be right back next year begging for more of the same.

I don't know if you worked on this game or something but you obviously feel the need to defend it. Just remember that this isn't really about Alien, it's about any time you get treated like an idiot by some company or other. You don't just go back as if they did nothing wrong. Alien is just the example of that which happens to be here now.

I'm not defending it, I'm defending the idea that if someone feels confident enough about a game based on reading/hearing hands-on impressions and a general interest in the game itself (in my specific case: beyond just having something fun to kill time with), then why not pre-order, if a good deal presents itself? Fun fact: I haven't even pre-ordered it. Holding out hopes for a random zavvi coupon.

Not saying everyone should preorder everything blindly either. That's why there are all these if-then qualifiers in my responses :D

possibly £30 / £45 spent on shite

That can happen with anything, though. Every classic/GOTY with awards stacked as high as the sky has some people that think it's poop. Thus see the part of being curious about the game regardless of random review score generators.

I'll end this here, sorry for the derail!

Yazan

Best price for 3ds version of Smash bros?

Also, anyone selling the double pack of the game that I have been seeing at Swedish online retailers?

meppi

€33.59 at WowHD.ie

Just a word of caution. The time I put my credit card details in with that shop, a week later my card got blocked by my bank because someone had booked a Hotel in Florida and had taken out a subscription to ESPN.
No concrete proof the leak was on their hands, but since getting my new card, I have continued using all the other shops that I did in the past, except for them and I've been fine.

I myself will be avoiding this shop like the plague, even though the prices seem a bit too good to be true.

Soodanim

You may want to take a look at the OP.

Other than that they have always been fine in my own experience.
I knew I'd heard something about one of the popular sites, but I couldn't remember which one. Thanks. I can't imagine a new game would suffer from that, so I'll risk it.

I knew I'd heard something about one of the popular sites, but I couldn't remember which one. Thanks. I can't imagine a new game would suffer from that, so I'll risk it.
Regarding TGC, days after release they tend to have a New and Like New version for a few £s cheaper, the latter being used of course.

For older titles particularly on Nintendo platforms they have the occasional Australian import. I think Layton 5 and Zelda SS were like this.

€33.59 at WowHD.ie
It is unclear where it is coming from though as WowHD have shipped things from Hong King on occasion (the wait and potential customs hassle is never fun).

I'd say £30.99 from Base.com is a much safer choice for Smash Bros.

Just saw the RTTP on the first page for Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and feel like playing it, any deals on it atm?

Where's the best place to trade games in? I'm in the UK and looking to trade in Destiny (Xbox One). Not a fan of trading in games but I have no desire to play this game again.

Where's the best place to trade games in? I'm in the UK and looking to trade in Destiny (Xbox One). Not a fan of trading in games but I have no desire to play this game again.
Depends on what you are after. Look at what GAME, Amazon and CeX are asking (all three can be done by post if nowhere nearby). CeX tend to be the best by a long shot for recent releases though.

Now don't discount GAME just yet if a CeX store is near the store you trading into they will beat the credit they offer by £1. This does however burden you with a GAME gift card which you can use online but not on pre-orders. The credit expired after a certain time of inactivity (I think it is 24 months, might be 12 should check, activity includes going instore to check balance).

CeX tend to ask stupid amounts but buying lots of thing instore can cost stupid amounts as well*. A quick look has CeX at £35 cash. GAME matching CeX credit could go to £39. GAME and Amazon amounts on their own are a joke in comparison.

*-Older stuff can be surprisingly cheap but uncommon.

Addnan

Cex were giving £35 cash for Destiny. I went to my closest one they said they couldn't give cash for Destiny anymore because too many people had already sold theirs there. Going to try my luck online. Anyone deal with Cex online sell?

Just played Hyrule Warriors and turns out it doesn't work with the original Wii classic controllers, so cheapest place for a Wii U pro controller?

ramparter

Banned
Question for people who've done a system transfer before if I do the transfer and put my account on the 2DS the pokemon game will still be there right? and if so when the new 3DS comes out and I do a transfer again will the pokemon game go with it?

Yes it's my knowledge that when you transfer, the source acount and target account are merged.

bosseye

I find generally CEX give better trade in/cash prices and better prices generally (Game, new releases, £55 lololol) but given that they're a second hand store, they don't always have the stock which can force your hand if you're desperate to play something. Plus I usually have a few quid on my Game reward card which can even things out.

CEX also seem to have fucking miserable staff (the one in Bristol anyway) and their policy for checking consoles to be traded in/sold is idiotic. I went there the other day to sell my old 360 and they wanted to keep it for 4 hours to test it. No good to me if I'm busy is it? So I went to Game, got £4 less cash price, but was in and out in 15 minutes.

TheMoon

Regarding TGC, days after release they tend to have a New and Like New version for a few £s cheaper, the latter being used of course.

For older titles particularly on Nintendo platforms they have the occasional Australian import. I think Layton 5 and Zelda SS were like this.

Sometimes also Skandinavian (or Irish?) versions (with the yellow triangle).

Shadow or Mordor £38.75 w/ Dark Ranger DLC

PS4

Xbox One

I'm probably going to get from here, for people "pre-ordering" apparently gameseek are good with shipping out games a day or two early.

They had/have a £2 off code which I used yesterday.
Apply coupon “2354682″.

I find generally CEX give better trade in/cash prices and better prices generally (Game, new releases, £55 lololol) but given that they're a second hand store, they don't always have the stock which can force your hand if you're desperate to play something. Plus I usually have a few quid on my Game reward card which can even things out.

CEX also seem to have fucking miserable staff (the one in Bristol anyway) and their policy for checking consoles to be traded in/sold is idiotic. I went there the other day to sell my old 360 and they wanted to keep it for 4 hours to test it. No good to me if I'm busy is it? So I went to Game, got £4 less cash price, but was in and out in 15 minutes.

MAH-GAHHDD! It's nice to know there's now 2 Kinky John/DI Fowler avatars on gaf.

Cex were giving £35 cash for Destiny. I went to my closest one they said they couldn't give cash for Destiny anymore because too many people had already sold theirs there. Going to try my luck online. Anyone deal with Cex online sell?

Yeah I've done it before, pretty simple process and was easy enough. You might lose a bit of your trade-in value through postage though, I can't remember whether it was free.

jimi_dini

Just a note: I received Wonderful 101 from 365games.co.uk today.

They definitely sent me an Import copy from Australia. Club Nintendo code didn't work.
I also don't know for sure, but the the whole thing feels even re-wrapped, because it didn't feature the Nintendo banner on it and it also felt weird. Anyone knows if Nintendo games are using the same type in Australia as they do in Europe?

I'm really annoyed by this. I mean they are selling the game for quite a high price and not only is it an import copy, but it may also be a used one.

I have contacted Club Nintendo on that matter. In case they won't replace the code, I will send it back.

LAM09

They definitely sent me an Import copy from Australia. Club Nintendo code didn't work.
I also don't know for sure, but the the whole thing feels even re-wrapped, because it didn't feature the Nintendo banner on it and it also felt weird. Anyone knows if Nintendo games are using the same type in Australia as they do in Europe?

I'm really annoyed by this. I mean they are selling the game for quite a high price and not only is it an import copy, but it may also be a used one.

I have contacted Club Nintendo on that matter. In case they won't replace the code, I will send it back.

I am not sure how many companies are importing games from Australia, but I had a similar thing happen with Gameseek (UK domain). I get both countries use PAL, but if you are buying from a UK site, you should be getting a British version of the game.

jimi_dini

^^
You didn't perchance take any pics of that dodgy wrap?

I should have taken photos before unwrapping it.

Anyway here you go:
Stzj6n5l.jpg

^^ obviously no "Nintendo" on it

At least one of the edges also looks weird. I can't exactly describe it.

0YVYYf7l.jpg

^ AU copy

If Nintendo replies with "the code was already redeemed", then that will be proof that it is a used copy. At least the disc seems to be fine. Sadly the little 4 page manual that is normally included with European copies is not there. I don't know if there is one for Wonderful 101 and/or if Australian copies do not include that.

EDIT: it seems only the blue "instructions booklet" is included with 101. That's also missing, but it seems Nintendo didn't do a game specific thingie, that they included in games like 3D World or Donkey Kong Country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ted0rY7ou38 And people say unboxing videos are useless :p

Return it and get your money back, my friend. They should make it clear if that's the copy they're selling. You have the right of return due to internet purchase.

EDIT: it seems only the blue "instructions booklet" is included with 101. That's also missing, but it seems Nintendo didn't do a game specific thingie, that they included in games like 3D World or Donkey Kong Country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ted0rY7ou38 And people say unboxing videos are useless :p

Yeah, no manual in the Euro copies. Just that blue booklet, the grey and white safety and health instructions thing and the red Club Nintendo leaflet.

My £20 copy is from GAME. No wrap, and they didn't bother rewrapping it. But that was sort of expected. And the box looks like it has been tossed around quite a bit. Probably had been lying around at the bottom of a bargain bin for a while. The blue booklet wasn't treated with great care either. But at least it was a complete copy.

I think I would feel more cheated on if they tried to cover up the fact that it's used by rewrapping.

TheMoon

I have received two Aussie Nintendo 3DS (1 first party, 1 third party but NoE distributed) games from UK shops recently. They both came with un-branded foil. I have the codes away in the CN thread and they apparently worked fine.

Some of 365games stuff will mention if it is an import. Problem is, I honestly believe they als try to sucker in customers by a) if it is mentioned, it is usually not blatantly clear and b)they obscure the ratings on product images with their "365" logo - it doesn't really make any sense to do this other than to trick consumers (but they will merely say it is to watermark...stock images...that everyone uses anyway....hm).

I have used them before but only when it was crystal clear I was getting a UK PAL copy. I would have immediately returned an AU W101.

Son Of D

Yeah I've done it before, pretty simple process and was easy enough. You might lose a bit of your trade-in value through postage though, I can't remember whether it was free.

It is free to post to CEX if you print out their postage label. Although it takes about a week after posting to get the cash. You can take a small loss if you want to guarantee faster postage.

Sakujou

Banned
there are actually no good prices up for smash 3ds right?
its around 32pounds or 40€ in Germany.... and it wont decrease thats for sure.

To be realistic I've never seen a £40 RRP 3DS game go below £30 as far as standard pre-order prices go*. The £32+/-1 is the typical range to expect for good prices.

As for what happens in the long term hard to tell bigger selling games are more liable to fall for example, Link Between Worlds fell by a little.

*-Well with no "tricks" of vouchers or codes used (for Smash 3DS I used the £5 off over £30 Amazon giving out back in March)

I'm hoping for a retail or official New 3DS (XL) bundle.
The game will be months old by the time that happens. That will only have minimal bearing on the price. If stores get a lot of trade ins of the game I can see them doing new system and used smash bundles.

Media Markt will have it at 40 euro this Friday in store pick up that will be the cheapest option for launch.
And that is for Euro standards of 50 euro a good deal.

Sakujou

Banned
Media Markt will have it at 40 euro this Friday in store pick up that will be the cheapest option for launch.
And that is for Euro standards of 50 euro a good deal.

there was one deal with some vouchers where you could get smash 3ds for 33€ but i wasnt online on that day...

still thanks, guys!

I'm hoping for a retail or official New 3DS (XL) bundle.

if i were you, i would wait for the new 3ds.... unfortunately it will be released next year....

hope the battery will last a long time with the new one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom