• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China flies nuclear bomber over South China Sea to 'send message' to Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link.

China flew a nuclear-capable bomber outside its borders in a show of force less than a week after US President-elect Donald Trump’s phone call with the president of Taiwan, it has been reported.

The 10-minute telephone call with President Tsai Ing-wen was the first by a US president-elect or president since President Jimmy Carter switched diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to China in 1979, acknowledging Taiwan as part of ‘One China’. It led to protests from Beijing.

The Xian H-6 bomber flew along the disputed 'nine-dash line' around the South China Sea, US officials told Fox News, passing over a number of disputed islands. The officials said it was designed to send a message to the incoming administration.

The Pentagon reportedly found out about the flight on Friday and officials said it was the first long-range flight along the demarcation line in more than 18 months – though this sortie extended further than previous ones.

The US first adopted the “One China” policy in 1972 after meetings between Richard Nixon and Chairman Mao Tse-tung, and it was later solidified by President Jimmy Carter.

Under the policy, the US retains unofficial ties to Taiwan while recognising Beijing as representing China. China considers Taiwan a renegade country.

White House officials said they spoke with the Chinese leadership following Mr Trump’s call with President Tsai.

Federal officials called to reassure the country that the US still adheres to “One China”, which does not recognise Taiwan as its own sovereign nation.

faint.

This is pretty scary... Hopefully Trump will wake up and at least receive the intelligence briefings. His tweeting today makes this even worse.

Usobuko

Banned
Attacking the One China policy is similar to attacking freedom of speech in America.

It's just non negotiable. Your average citizens would fought back hard.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It's fine. Trump will only find out about this in his fortnightly intelligence briefing.

Auctopus

What do you think the US Government would do first... impeach or follow Trump in to an easily avoidable war with China?

Tagyhag

Remember when people were justifying his Russian ties by "At least we won't go to war with Russia!"

China is scary too.

ZOONAMI

Attacking the one china policy is fucking insane.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Beijing decides to full scale invade Taiwan.

One hand, fuck the Chinese government. On the other hand, please don't be an idiot Trump/please hold him back Pence. I'd not like another World War k thnx bye

The quoted text is oddly different than the article. The article says that the flight took place a week before the phone call; while the quote states the flights were a week after Trump's phone call with Taiwan.

Did the article update?

China threatens nuclear war because of one phone call? I don't support Trump at all but what exactly is this doing in China's favor? What an overreaction.

So China is the new Soviet Union now that everyone has realised that Russia is a paper tiger.

The neverending media boogyman continues.

But this time it's real guys, because we are the mad dogs. What a plot twist.

Yawn. Call me when the first Navy ship get sunk because anything up to then is hyperbole.

Wag

Trump doesn't read or get the daily intelligence briefings. If we're lucky he'll find out about it next year some time.

Its going to be funny watching Alex Jones' position changing from the president being involved in da nwo conspiracy to him fighting it.

NWO-professional-wrestling-4387268-1280-800.jpg

Lautaro

China threatens nuclear war because of one phone call? I don't support Trump at all but what exactly is this doing in China's favor? What an overreaction.

They are a communist police state, do you think they care about having the moral high ground?

Its not even the first time so everyone should know better than to play chicken with them.

DarkKyo

Welp, was nice knowing you all. Interesting how the great filter turned out to be a manbaby twitter aficionado.

dan2026

Seriously fuck China, they absolutely terrible and nobody should be bowing and scrapping in front of them.

Trump is an incompetent nutjob, but fuck cowing to China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom