• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China flies nuclear bomber over South China Sea to 'send message' to Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Fuck China.

If it came to it, i'd gladly stand behind Trump against them.

Pretty much, you've gotta laugh at anyone who thinks those posturing around nuclear war are the good guys. Good thing anyway it is most likely that. China knows if it actually started anything it's mutually assured destruction.

A lot of these egotistical psychopaths very much want to stay alive regardless of their threats. America for any mistakes it makes it still a huge fucking power.

On the note of China it's about time America (and others) stops calling Saudi Arabia a fucking ally.

jstripes

Banned
Well sure, but the fact is that China are only doing this because the US has presumably elected a leader that is perceived as a weak diplomat. I don;t really see how Trump's actions are going to roll back China's actions.

Trump's the strongest diplomat. You wouldn't believe how strong his diplomatic skills are. He's negotiated the best deals. The best!

Sarcasm aside, if Mark Cuban (a fellow billionaire business mogul) simply being in an audience is enough to leave Trump shook, that's all you need to know.

Pretty much, you've gotta laugh at anyone who thinks those posturing around nuclear war are the good guys. Good thing anyway it is most likely that. China knows if it actually started anything it's mutually assured destruction.

A lot of these egotistical psychopaths very much want to stay alive regardless of their threats. America for any mistakes it makes it still a huge fucking power.

umm, you know that the US has done similar things, right? This is not a terribly unusual posture.

Audioboxer

umm, you know that the US has done similar things, right? This is not a terribly unusual posture.

Yeah, it doesn't make it right either. I'm calling people out who cut off their own nose being more concerned about the idiot that is Trump than China being a far bigger asshole here.

They've done this before, so screw China. They (or any other country) should never be able to dictate who we can or can't talk to. Glad to see President-Elect Trump not bowing to them.

Imagine Texas breaks away from the US or tries to at least. China gives Texas a call, you don't think the United States would be pissed off?

Audioboxer

Imagine Texas breaks away from the US or tries to at least. China gives Texas a call, you don't think the United States would be pissed off?

There's a difference between being diplomatically pissed off and threatening violence/nuclear war. As much as I hate Trump, China can take the dunce cap here.

ZOONAMI

Yeah, it doesn't make it right either. I'm calling people out who cut off their own nose being more concerned about the idiot that is Trump than China being a far bigger asshole here.

China is being the asshole for flying an empty jet around?

You realize the "nuclear capable" is news spin here right? Does Fox News report that the US is posturing a nuclear threat by flying C-130s around? No.

Trump dismissed decades of policy that was delicately built in the first place and is ignoring centuries of history on the issue of Taiwan, and is literally attempting to use the one china policy as a trade agreement bargaining chip?

No, trump is the asshole here.

jstripes

Banned
There's a difference between being diplomatically pissed off and threatening violence/nuclear war. As much as I hate Trump, China can take the dunce cap here.

China's being China. It may be overbearing and childish, but that's the reality you have to deal with.

Remember, Russia also sends their nuclear bombers right to the edge of US airspace every once in a while as a demonstration of their strength.

Dalibor68

Banned

Agreed. I have the feeling people are still kind of giving China a free pass because its a bit of an "unknown".

You realize the "nuclear capable" is news spin here right? Does Fox News report that the US is posturing a nuclear threat by flying C-130s around? No.

Trump dismissed decades of policy that was delicately built in the first place and is ignoring centuries of history on the issue of Taiwan, and is literally attempting to use the one china policy as a trade agreement bargaining chip?

What kind of comparison is that? C-130s afaik are mainly transport planes whereas the Xian H-6 are nuclear-capable bombers. A comparison would be if the US started flying B1 bombers over the same line.

Audioboxer

China's being China. It may be overbearing and childish, but that's the reality you have to deal with.

Remember, Russia also sends their nuclear bombers right to the edge of US airspace every once in a while as a demonstration of their strength.

Yeah, and I ain't going to stand with Russia because, Trump. Although you make an interesting point, how would some in here handle that proposal? Trump vs Russia. Yes I know the joke there is Trump is viewed well by Russia, but the principal is threatening violence like an angry child. Whoever does it can bolt. Luckily we know it is just posturing, as I said above mutually assured destruction is all but confirmed for anywhere in the world today that provokes a war over something ridiculous.

Darryl

Banned

China is posturing a threat of violence here. Whether it's nuclear or otherwise - who cares. Non-nuclear war is just as horrific.

ZOONAMI

I'd actually argue this thread title and linked sources are bordering onessentially fake news, as flying a nuclear capable plane around is conducted by the US and Russia and no one starts saying it's a nuclear threat.

China is no way by flying around a plane capable of dropping a nuclear bomb are they explicitly showing a nuclear level of force.

Such a plane is capable of dropping standard munitions, doing surveillance, refueling other planes, supply runs, etc.

China isn't explicity demonstrating nuclear force. Fox News and the independent are spinning it that way for clicks.

I would call the difference between flying an empty jet in their own territory and actually drone striking other countries including citizens for years way more significant.

Point is countries act according to their best interests, no one is good or evil, stop thinking foreign diplomacy like 8-year old playground.

Dalibor68

Banned

According to officials at NORAD the flights stayed within international airspace and at no time did any of the Russian bombers enter or get close to entering sovereign North American boundaries.

vs

The Xian H-6 bomber flew along the disputed 'nine-dash line' around the South China Sea, US officials told Fox News, passing over a number of disputed islands.

ZOONAMI

Agreed. I have the feeling people are still kind of giving China a free pass because its a bit of an "unknown".

What kind of comparison is that? C-130s afaik are mainly transport planes whereas the Xian H-6 are nuclear-capable bombers. A comparison would be if the US started flying B1 bombers over the same line.

The H6 isn't just a bomber. Article says H6 used to conduct nuclear tests, so has a C-130.

FStop7

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

Twitter fingers turn to nuclear triggers

Audioboxer

I would call the difference between flying an empty jet in their own territory and actually drone striking other countries including citizens for years is way more significant.

Point is countries act according to their best interests, no one is good or evil, stop thinking foreign diplomacy like 8-year old playground.

Well that is you pretty much attacking Obama, no? The article states this is a threat due to Trump, not Obama.

But yes for what it is worth I think the drone strikes America has been carrying out are largely abhorrent and have not done anywhere near a level of "good" to justify them.

As a fellow Brit, I'm sure you understand that provoking an authoritarian dictatorship over their historical territorial claims on some distant and difficult to defend island is not a recipe for success.

The One China policy was basically a way for China to save face while Taiwan acts as a de facto independent nation. Insulting the Chinese just makes it easier for them to justify annexing Taiwan if Trump goes for a full-scale trade war. While America would arm the Taiwanese, I doubt Trump would ever want to risk American lives to protect them.

The worst part about it is that Trump seems to have done it without any sort of plan other than "LOL, this'll piss off those Chinese and secure my support from the gung ho nutjobs". His, "but she called me!" tweet shows just how pathetic and naive he is.

Dalibor68

Banned
The H6 isn't just a bomber. Article says H6 used to conduct nuclear tests, so has a C-130.

It absolutely is a bomber. According to wikipedia they have roughly 180 Xian H6 (various variants) of which only 10 are tankers, the rest are bombers. So unless they were just casually testing some tanking manevours coincidentially over disputed islands a few days after Trump's tweets, it was very much a "show of force" - just as the actual officials are saying.

karasu

Is this some fake news, son? Your quote says they flew the bomber after his phone call with Taiwan. The page says they did it before the call.

China flew a nuclear-capable bomber outside its borders in a show of force less than a week after US President-elect Donald Trump’s phone call with the president of Taiwan, it has been reported.

The 10-minute telephone call with President Tsai Ing-wen was the first by a US president-elect or president since President Jimmy Carter switched diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to China in 1979, acknowledging Taiwan as part of ‘One China’. It led to protests from Beijing.

The Xian H-6 bomber flew along the disputed 'nine-dash line' around the South China Sea, US officials told Fox News, passing over a number of disputed islands. The officials said it was designed to send a message to the incoming administration.

The Pentagon reportedly found out about the flight on Friday and officials said it was the first long-range flight along the demarcation line in more than 18 months – though this sortie extended further than previous ones.

Audioboxer

As a fellow Brit, I'm sure you understand that provoking an authoritarian dictatorship over their historical territorial claims on some distant and difficult to defend island is not a recipe for success.

The One China policy was basically a way for China to save face while Taiwan acts as a de facto independent nation. Insulting the Chinese just makes it easier for them to justify annexing Taiwan if Trump goes for a full-scale trade war. While America would arm the Taiwanese, I doubt Trump would ever want to risk American lives to protect them.

The worst part about it is that Trump seems to have done it without any sort of plan other than "LOL, this'll piss off those Chinese and secure my support from the gung ho nutjobs". His, "but she called me!" tweet shows just how pathetic and naive he is.

I suppose you are right! The Twitter wars have commenced though, time to buckle in. I expect a Chinese Twitter account to start shit posting Trump. Unless China has banned Twitter?

bionic77

China is so dumb.

If you want to send a message to Trump you neee to post an article to Breitbart or make a cutting edge GIF or Twitter post.

jstripes

Banned
Yeah, and I ain't going to stand with Russia because, Trump. Although you make an interesting point, how would some in here handle that proposal? Trump vs Russia. Yes I know the joke there is Trump is viewed well by Russia, but the principal is threatening violence like an angry child. Whoever does it can bolt. Luckily we know it is just posturing, as I said above mutually assured destruction is all but confirmed for anywhere in the world today that provokes a war over something ridiculous.

No one's standing with China here. We're just adults with a basic understanding of international diplomacy and the state of the world.

Well that is you pretty much attacking Obama, no? The article states this is a threat due to Trump, not Obama.

But yes for what it is worth I think the drone strikes America has been carrying out are largely abhorrent and have not done anywhere near a level of "good" to justify them.

I didn't attack anyone because I didn't bring moral grounds into the evaluation of superpower military actions. Only magnitude and intentions matter.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Fuck China, that's some pussy shit. Fucking psychopaths. "Send messages" with nuclear bomber planes. smh.

ZOONAMI

It absolutely is a bomber. According to wikipedia they have roughly 180 Xian H6 (various variants) of which only 10 are tankers, the rest are bombers. So unless they were just casually testing some tanking manevours coincidentially over disputed islands a few days after Trump's tweets, it was very much a "show of force" - just as the actual officials are saying.

Yeah a different US plane would probably be a better comparison, but I don't know that we have any tankers that double as bombers?

Not saying it isn't a show of force, but putting nuclear in the headline is sort of click bait imo.

The US actually flies bombers, and drops bombs with them, on other countries, so I'm not sure we really have any moral high ground here. I don't like what china is doing here, but trump absolutely is being an asshole for dismissing the one china policy and attempting to use it as a bargaining chip.

And yeah given the inconsistency in the reporting here I wouldn't be so sure this isn't just a tanker flying around, or just straight up fake news from Fox and the independent linking to Fox.

This was done supposedly before the call with Tawain, so it seems pretty unclear what's going on here.

Darryl

Banned
I'd actually argue this thread title and linked sources are bordering onessentially fake news, as flying a nuclear capable plane around is conducted by the US and Russia and no one starts saying it's a nuclear threat.

China is no way by flying around a plane capable of dropping a nuclear bomb are they explicitly showing a nuclear level of force.

Such a plane is capable of dropping standard munitions, doing surveillance, refueling other planes, supply runs, etc.

China isn't explicity demonstrating nuclear force. Fox News and the independent are spinning it that way for clicks.

This article says nuclear-capable bomber. It's a nuclear-capable bomber as far as I can tell. Fake news is fake. It's not real. For this to be fake news, the tweet by Donald Trump has to have never been made and China were to have never flown a bomber at all. Did that happen?

karasu

This article says nuclear-capable bomber. It's a nuclear-capable bomber as far as I can tell. Fake news is fake. It's not real. For this to be fake news, the tweet by Donald Trump has to have never been made and China were to have never flown a bomber at all. Did that happen?

It says they flew it BEFORE Trump's call.

ZOONAMI

The article is spinning that this is related to the call with Taiwan but also that the flight happened before the call.

So yeah, it's clickbait fake news imo.

USA and China getting into conflict would only weaken their respective economies given how closely tied they are.

I wonder which country would benefit from this? Hmmmm

avaya

I could seriously imagine him sending a ship or aircraft to one-up China and the Chinese straight up blowing it the fuck up, egging him on to escalation. Like the Turkey-Russia incident but x1000 worse.

This is legit terrifying.

KDR_11k

Doesn't Russia do this regularly with NATO airspace?

I could seriously imagine him sending a ship or aircraft to one-up China and the Chinese straight up blowing it the fuck up, egging him on to escalation. Like the Turkey-Russia incident but x1000 worse.

This is legit terrifying.

I don't think China is as short-sighted/ego-driven as Erdogan, they'd probably avoid shooting anything down (US warships have already cruised past those Chinese outposts and China didn't shoot). OTOH that description would fit Trump...

@TheRealDonaldTrump
China thinks flying a nuclear bomber over their little seas will send a message to me. Sad! I'll do you one better.

@TheRealDonaldTrump
Today 5 B-2 stealth bombers flew over Beijing and China didn't even realize it! We have the most beautiful and stealthy bombers in the world! Just tremendous levels of stealth!

Draft

I am positive Donald Trump thinks it would be fun to have a war. He would get a kick out of telling the generals to do whatever it takes to win. Learning about the victories would thrill him. He could easily ignore the bad news. Casualties would be "tragedies" in that he knows it's important to act upset, but would he actually care? Does he have the empathy necessary to understand what it means to fight in a war? There's no way.

He's not a serious guy and he is going to relish responding to this message with "strength."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom