• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China flies nuclear bomber over South China Sea to 'send message' to Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOONAMI

All because he accepted a congratulatory phone call from Taiwan? Give me a fucking break.

International relations are complicated and the one china policy has been the status quo for over 35 years.

Trump also tweeted the US does not have to honor the one china policy.

It's a direct attack going against history that literally goes back centuries.

Taiwan is serious business to the Chinese.

On Sunday, President-elect Donald Trump told Fox News that he wouldn't feel "bound by a one-China policy unless we make a deal with China having to do with other things, including trade."

Using this as a bargaining chip is laughable and demonstrates a bewildering lack of understanding of the issue.

If trump starts a trade war welcome to a worldwide economic depression like the world has never seen, and there is a strong possibility that would lead to actual war in Taiwan.

This thread is already off to a great start with the lol china dumb it was phone call!1 without knowing Why it's an issue in the first place or how diplomacy is incredibly delicate.

RCSI

Obama should have the password set to something like "sm4llhand$17" when they turn it over.

Except that a potus45 will be in official use, with the original potus account archived and saved, if I remember correctly. That, and no way would they use such a big password, needs to be even smaller.

enewtabie

Also apparently China/Japan had some complaints over their fighter jets getting to close to each other and shooting flares. Seems like we are always one mistake away.

I'm hoping that in short order enough of the people who matter will understand this was a big fucking mistake and fix the problem by removing Trump.

Pence is a shitbag, but he's a predictable shitbag.

Usobuko

Banned
This thread is already off to a great start with the lol china dumb it was phone call!1 without knowing Why it's an issue in the first place or how diplomacy is incredibly delicate.

It doesn't help Trump says he don't understand why US have to be fully committed into this One China policy without getting something out it from China, like more preferable trade deals.

geomon

Phone call doesn't matter, right guys? Nope, all just hunky dory.

There's a fucking reason we have diplomats who specialize in...wait for it.....diplomacy, that's right. Knowing how to engage with other people from other cultures who just so happen to possess nuclear fucking weapons.

Cipherr

People were in the thread about his tweets to china going "Well we have to do SOMETHING about the SCS... Do you all have any better ideas!?"

Would love to see those defenders in here explaining how this is reasonable.

Daffy Duck

Live leak from Trump tower;

tEsxczI.jpg

Strax

I despise Trump but I think it's clear if Obama had made a call to Taiwan this forum would be calling him brave and saying stuff like "He doesn't let China bully the USA, they can't stop us from talking to other nations"

Usobuko

Banned
In an interview with Fox News, the president-elect said he saw no reason why the US should continuing abiding by the “One China” policy – by which Taiwan is officially considered part of the same single Chinese nation as the mainland – unless Beijing was prepared to enter into some kind of bargain.

“I don’t know why we have to be bound by a ‘One China’ policy unless we make a deal with China having to do with other things, including trade,” Trump told the channel on Sunday.

For anyone interested.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I despise Trump but I think it's clear if Obama had made a call to Taiwan this forum would be calling him brave and saying stuff like "He doesn't let China bully the USA, they can't stop us from talking to other nations"

If Obama was threatening a trade war with China and did this I'd call him a fool too.

This is a pointless argument considering Obama would never ever do this in the first place. He values diplomacy in a way trump will never be able to comprehend if he keeps this up.

But he hasn't and wouldn't so what is your point? Are you trying to say this isn't a big deal and that we are biased?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PS5 to cost $5999!!!

Ridge Racer will be bundled in to make it attractive package to retro gaf.

This is a pointless argument considering Obama would never ever do this in the first place. He values diplomacy in a way trump will never be able to comprehend if he keeps this up.

True but the article posted mentions they did this last year before Trump was even elected yet people seem to be glossing over that fact.

For me personally, I am afraid that there isn't a plan to support this action. And combined with Trump antagonizing China on Twitter, it all just comes across as ridiculous and not thought out.

Mivey

One hand, fuck the Chinese government. On the other hand, please don't be an idiot Trump/please hold him back Pence. I'd not like another World War k thnx bye

At least it would give Call of Duty a new World War to milk for the next few years.

jstripes

Banned
One hand, fuck the Chinese government. On the other hand, please don't be an idiot Trump/please hold him back Pence. I'd not like another World War k thnx bye

It's funny how some people are like "It's fine, Pence will run things behind the scenes."

That doesn't exactly work on a diplomatic level when you have an ignorant megalomaniac who won't take intelligence briefings regularly blurting out whatever crosses his mind without any sort of filter. I can't wait to hear what he thinks about Angela Merkel, that'll be fun.

Aurongel

These types of exercises are fairly standard from what I gather. Russia does them quite often to test where American bases overseas draw the line. Cold War intimidation techniques being used in 2016 is what this reads like to me.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I like the China scale of it all:
Trump: Tweet
China: NUCLEAR BOMBER

Strax

Being bullied by a nation that repeatedly crushes almost everything related to freedom isn't diplomacy, no matter who is president.

But he hasn't and wouldn't so what is your point? Are you trying to say this isn't a big deal and that we are biased?

I'm saying this phone call should've been decades ago given everything USA has claimed to stand for since it's founding.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
True but the article posted mentions they did this last year before Trump was even elected yet people seem to be glossing over that fact.

Any verification on whether the event that happened 18 months ago was a nuclear-capable airplane?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Seriously fuck China, they absolutely terrible and nobody should be bowing and scrapping in front of them.

Trump is an incompetent nutjob, but fuck cowing to China.

China is the one playing with nuclear loaded bombs and Trump is the bigger asshole? Nah.

SpecX

I like the China scale of it all:
Trump: Tweet
China: NUCLEAR BOMBER

Seriously, this makes me nervous. A tweet is all it took for this, wait till this man takes office and actually does something. I'm sure some hot headed general might make a suggestion and Trump goes along with it causing things to escalate.

So China is the new Soviet Union now that everyone has realised that Russia is a paper tiger.

The neverending media boogyman continues.

But this time it's real guys, because we are the mad dogs. What a plot twist.

Yawn. Call me when the first Navy ship get sunk because anything up to then is hyperbole.

How is Russia a paper tiger when she carved out 1/3 of land from Georgia and Ukraine without notable repercussion?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
China threatens nuclear war because of one phone call? I don't support Trump at all but what exactly is this doing in China's favor? What an overreaction.
After several direct verbal attacks on China during the campaign, he follows it up with breaking 40 year old diplomatic agreement.

Unlike the american electorate, the chinese government has red lines you do not cross, and they are being clear about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom