• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China proposes high speed rail from China to the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheap?

Do you realise how much it would cost to build and maintain that rail line? It would probably take 100+ years for it to make a profit, if it ever does.

"Cheap" in that it would fundamentally change the shipping paradigm for almost all major chinese manufacturers exporting goods to the US. Not cheap as in it costs 20 bucks to build a 200KM tunnel under the pacific

I don't think any government is looking at a project like this and going "profitable in 2 years :D"

Yeah no

terrisus

The Bering Strait Tunnel needs to happen, one way or another.
It's been talked about and planned in various forms for years.

And, wow at people missing the point of this.

Yeah sorry I dont trust China to build this thing safely. I'll visit using the old fashion way.

fishing-boat-China-river.jpg

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Unless maintenance and fares are significantly cheaper I don't really see the purpose of this.

Though honestly, I'd believe that paying for the energy cost to run a full trip would be cheaper than paying for a full tank of jet fuel.

But maintaining the rail way? Jeez, that can't be cheap at all, especially not when the current cost of 1 mile of rail road track being closer to 200 million.

Though honestly the true point of this would be a purely political motive, to show solidarity with the United States.

Zoc

The Bering Strait Tunnel needs to happen, one way or another.
It's been talked about and planned in various forms for years.

And, wow at people missing the point of this.

I'll raise my hand as a person missing the point. Care to enlighten me? This would be slower than an airplane and more expensive than a boat, and would have an eleven figure price tag.

Saganator

Would be pretty cool. Our country needs big ass projects like this, we haven't built anything cool in like 30 years. No way it will happen. We can't even get coast to coast high speed rail here. Maybe there will be a chance for big projects like this if politics allow it 5-10+ years from now. I want to see coast to coast rail before we build a direct line to China.

DBT85

Considering how ridiculously expensive a ticket will be for 2 days on a train, why in all fuck would anyone take it when they could fly?

Pedrito

"Cheap" in that it would fundamentally change the shipping paradigm for almost all major chinese manufacturers exporting goods to the US. Not cheap as in it costs 20 bucks to build a 200KM tunnel under the pacific

I don't think any government is looking at a project like this and going "profitable in 2 years :D"

Yeah no

And few governments like to invest in projects that will only start to have a positive impact long after they've left office.

I don't. How much would it cost? Break it down for me.

No idea. But I'd assume it would be by far the most expensive projet ever considering you have to build the longest tunnel in the world, under the sea, in a very geologically active region. Then you have to build thousands of km of track in the arctic on the permafrost. Then you have to expropriate thousands of land owners in North America, a process that takes years. You also have to deal with aboriginal groups up there. Then you have to maintain all of this.

Add the fact that the countries involved are not exactly the best of friends so it'd be a political mess.

DBT85

I should add, the Channel Tunnel is only has only 23.5 miles of tunnel under the sea, and it cost £4.65B ($7.9B) and that was in 1994.

Also interestingly, two of the huge moles they use to dig the tunnel are buried in the wall down there. It cost less to turn 90 degrees and drill deep enough to cover them up than it would have to remove them.

Village

Whats that anime with the flying trains, I believe its based off an old anime. And the trains fly through space and whatever.

Thats the first thing I thought off for some reason.

I'll raise my hand as a person missing the point. Care to enlighten me? This would be slower than an airplane and more expensive than a boat, and would have an eleven figure price tag.

It'd be more like a twelve figure price tag, and a high-speed train line going through Siberia, Alaska, and northern Canada would a complete death-ride for about 8 months of the year. Hell, a moose or bear on the tracks might derail the thing. Cargo ships are more economical and likely able get from Shanghai to Seattle faster than the a freight train going this route as well.

Anyone could going "Aw, we need infrastructure projects like this!" should have to wear a dunce cap for the day... or at least be temporarily double junior-ed, which means you have to sleep in the attic with blamespace, and I heard he's already had quite a bit of Pepsi today.

Dougald

I should add, the Channel Tunnel is only has only 23.5 miles of tunnel under the sea, and it cost £4.65B ($7.9B) and that was in 1994.

Also interestingly, two of the huge moles they use to dig the tunnel are buried in the wall down there. It cost less to turn 90 degrees and drill deep enough to cover them up than it would have to remove them.

Additionally, the Channel tunnel didn't require much land to be purchased which is where the real cost comes from. Not many NIMBYs living in the middle of the English Channel. I guess there aren't too many in the middle of Siberia/Alaska either, but I'm sure there are plenty on the West cost of the US.

HS1, the link between the Tunnel and London, cost an additional £5.8bn for 67 miles, and a lot of that had to be tunneled underneath the city.

And few governments like to invest in projects that will only start to have a positive impact long after they've left office.

Of all the major governments of the world I could easily see the Chinese being the most long-term thinking considering the power stays within the same "party's" hands. Again I don't necessarily think that China will go full-bore behind the project but I do think the Chinese government is the best situated to try and actually get it started between them, the US, and Russia.

There would however be instant and positive effects on China's GDP once completed and that is the point of why China would be interested in the venture to begin with . To continue the growth of their country

But I digress, your original comment simply misinterpreted what I meant when I called it cheap so I think we understand each other now :)

terrisus

In particular, there are certain things which are prohibited to be transported by air. As well as things which can't be transported by air for other reason (size, etc.)
Right now those things go by barge instead. Train is a significant improvement over barge.

Village

good watchin'

Yeah yeah, I remember it was good. I just forgot the name, haven't watched it in a while been trying to find it.

I love the concept of a intergalactic space train

I was slightly disappointing that the train proposed, wasn't the space train.

Under the earth train sounds a bit scarier than space train

numble

It'd be more like a twelve figure price tag, and a high-speed train line going through Siberia, Alaska, and northern Canada would a complete death-ride for about 8 months of the year. Hell, a moose or bear on the tracks might derail the thing. Cargo ships are more economical and likely able get from Shanghai to Seattle faster than the a freight train going this route as well.

Anyone could going "Aw, we need infrastructure projects like this!" should have to wear a dunce cap for the day... or at least be temporarily double junior-ed, which means you have to sleep in the attic with blamespace, and I heard he's already had quite a bit of Pepsi today.

They take 2 weeks to a month.

As much as I hate flying and airplanes, this sounds even more terrifying.

brb terrorists
brb under the ocean
brb natural disasters like earthquakes
brb mechanical problems under the sea.

Sounds like a nightmare

t26

Chinese are already making bridge here in the us. The bay bridge was made In China. Funny thing is the prolblem is caused by American made parts

Jado

Banned
It needs to be done just for the action and horror movies that would spawn from the idea of being on stuck for two days underground/underwater on a "train from hell!"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Are people seriously asking what the benefit of a train is over a plane? Have you guys even been on a bullet train?

The benefit is FUCKING EVERYTHING.

Calidor

2 days is a bit long. Any fare estimate?

well, a high speed train fare from Beijing to Shanghai is around 600 renminbi (around 95 usd). That's almost a 5 hour ride covering 1300km.

A 2 day ride covering this route should be more than 1,000 USD, which it makes it pointless since you can travel on a plane for less than that in 12 hours.

Subitai

China is so restrictive about people coming in, why would they want to make it even easier for a bunch barbarians to stop in? Freight I could understand and adjacent oil/gas/fiber pipline too. Just doing it for travel makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom