• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China seized U.S. Navy drone in South China Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realized that "seized" is a scary word, but unmanned and underwater? Is this actually a show of force, or just some sort of routine clean-up?

EDIT: If it's a drone, then I guess that makes the "unmanned" part less surprising.

It's a naval vessel in international water, show it is a show of force.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Trump is going to walk into a political disaster before even taking office, and have no idea how to handle it.
Probably something completely nonsensical like "fuck you, we're gonna build 50 drones to replace the one that you took, and we'll send you the bill for it! No one fucks with me!"

Its bizarre how plausible the plot of this movie has become in the last few years.
I remember thinking that the plot to this movie was fucking stupid.

But now I can imagine news places trying to pull this shit.

Steejee

I wonder if this thing carrying any high tech/secret stuff, or is just something cobbled together with off the shelf parts and fairly expendable.

From China's perspective, it's probably better if it is just off the shelf stuff and the US Navy wouldn't *actually* care about it that much. That way they can make a statement of anger, USN/Gov can make the matching appropriate public response, but the USN and Chinese Navy in the background work out a simple exchange without much fuss.

This is probably the type of glider drone in question.

xZRAYship.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HICh2hgIJX.jpg

Zophar

If it's in international waters, and it's just a run-of-the mill scientific drone then this seems like it's just a show of force on China's part, not necessarily an incident.

studyguy

Stakes and all but that is a pretty funny visual lol

Chinese military rushing out there in a dingy flipping the dude a middle finger while swiping the drone. All the while just some confused guy wondering what the fuck.

Honestly the fact that it was literally in plain sight is pretty crazy.

Maybe Chinese hackers should have hacked some republican emails. Clinton would have been far better choice for China than Trump.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I hope this isn't them laying claim to the South China Sea.

If it's in international waters, and it's just a run-of-the mill scientific drone then this seems like it's just a show of force on China's part, not necessarily an incident.

It probably is a run of the mill scientific drone, but it's still a US Navy vessel, that has to count for something right?

Maybe Chinese hackers should have hacked some republican emails. Clinton would have been far better choice for China than Trump.

the US is eating itself to pieces, pretty sure china is cool with taking our lil boats giving us the finger and watching trump lose is marbles over it

Steejee

I hope this isn't them laying claim to the South China Sea.

It probably is a run of the mill scientific drone, but it's still a US Navy vessel, that has to count for something right?

Counts for something, but it seems like China mostly just wanting to give the middle finger to us for Trump's behavior. I'm guessing they'll look it over to see if there's anything interesting about it then give it back quietly.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
the US is eating itself to pieces, pretty sure china is cool with taking our lil boats giving us the finger and watching trump lose is marbles over it
It would be hilarious if the Chinese were like "we better grab ourselves one of these before Trump guts the program."

KingBroly

Banned

China's in increasing trouble economically, so if there's any kind of manufacturing move from there, it's only going to hurt them both in terms of politics and economics.

Red Dawn had it partially right.

Russian and US are "allies."

starts conflict between US and China.

Russia nukes China and invades the US with North Korea lol.

It would be hilarious if the Chinese were like "we better grab ourselves one of these before Trump guts the program."

doesnt it just feel like that kid in your neighborhood who would yell IM NOT TOUCHING YOU with his finger an inch from your face?

china taking the schoolyard bully approach to pissing trump off

marrec

Banned
This ain't to do with Trump but with Obama posturing over China's encroachment in the South China Sea.

Get Trump off y'alls minds.

This forum is silly. China has been showing force long before Trump tweeted anything to them.

Many of you all need to put away your Trump tinfoil hat and educate yourselves on China's aggressive South China Sea expansion.

China shouldn't be allowed to expand into international waters any more than Russia should be allowed to expand on land.

China found it in water that they are claiming. This would have happened with or without Trump.

Nothing will come of this other than some harsh language.

M52B28

Banned
Chinese military rushing out there in a dingy flipping the dude a middle finger while swiping the drone. All the while just some confused guy wondering what the fuck.

Honestly the fact that it was literally in plain sight is pretty crazy.
I commend the Chinese for such a thing.

I wonder what the reaction was for some of the crew members.

BriGuy

This forum is silly. China has been showing force long before Trump tweeted anything to them.

Many of you all need to put away your Trump tinfoil hat and educate yourselves on China's aggressive South China Sea expansion.

China shouldn't be allowed to expand into international waters any more than Russia should be allowed to expand on land.
I think people are more worried about Trump's response to this incident more than whether or not it's payback for something he said. These kinds of provocations happen, but until now we could count on cooler heads to prevail. This is the guy who wanted to sink Iranian ships because their crew was taunting us, remember?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Or, you know, it's both. It's China flagrantly stealing a US vessel to a) continue pretending they control international waters and b) tell Trump they're not going to take his antics lying down.

marrec

Banned
Or, you know, it's both. It's China flagrantly stealing a US vessel to a) continue pretending they control international waters and b) tell Trump they're not going to take his antics lying down.

I mean, sure anything is possible, but we're talking about what makes the most logical sense based on previous events.

I think people are more worried about Trump's response to this incident more than whether or not it's payback for something he said. These kinds of provocations happen, but until now we could count on cooler heads to prevail. This is the guy who wanted to sink Iranian ships because their crew was taunting us, remember?

That's a fair concern and I agree with it.

But lately the dialog has morphed into "China was benign until Trump Tweeted." Those taking that stance are either grossly misinformed or are simply creating a false history to push their own agenda.

A China that goes into international waters because they claim its theirs and exerts authority in that region is a serious world problem.

China is beginning to escalate tensions (whether or not Trump was there) as a way to distract their populace from the oncoming economic troubles. You set up an outside entity as the boogeyman for all of your problems. It's the genesis behind the entire South China Sea problem.

China's economy is starting to spiral downward due to the massive overleveraging they have undertaken over the past several years in order to try and hold to their made-up growth rate.

The real estate bubble is already bursting, the stock market was shown to be a sham and finally China's bond bubble is beginning to burst. They halted trading on bond futures for the first time yesterday, and for the first time in 18 months they failed to sell all of their Treasury Bills at auction due to low demand. Local traders are expecting short term rates to rise significantly over the next 3-6 months. Heat from the Fed raising rates, the yuan's decline and drying up liquidity in the money markets is potentially setting up a perfect storm for an economic disaster.

China is already attempting to prop up the Yuan via selling UST's at a blistering pace and despite all that its pegged to the USD at the lowest rate since 2008.

But nah its none of that stuff. Just China out there trying to show Trump who's boss.

AMIRITE?

Why are they touching our oceanographic survey equipment? Are they going to say we need a permit of some shit?

I'm assuming this is now them claiming that they own the South China Sea.

Yeah, they actually can't do this. It's international waters. China is doing something illegal and no one seems to be noticing that. Seems everyone thinks it's okay China did this because of what Trump said. Well, it's not.

Correct. Wouldn't be surprised to see China begin to escalate tensions (whether or not Trump was there) as a way to distract their populace from the oncoming economic troubles. You set up an outside entity as the boogeyman for all of your problems.

China's economy is starting to spiral downward due to the massive overleveraging they have undertaken over the past several years in order to try and hold to their made-up growth rate.

China's bond bubble is beginning to burst. They halted trading on bond futures for the first time yesterday, and for the first time in 18 months they failed to sell all of their Treasury Bills at auction due to low demand. Local traders are expecting short term rates to rise significantly over the next 3-6 months. Heat from the Fed raising rates, the yuan's decline and drying up liquidity in the money markets is potentially setting up a perfect storm for an economic disaster.

But nah its none of that stuff. Just China out there trying to show Trump who's boss.

AMIRITE?

2017 gonna be the year when China will fall!

I also like how a single economy crisis is supposed to destroy China completely, when the rest of the world deals with crisis every few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom