• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China seized U.S. Navy drone in South China Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you've ever taken a road trip in the US you'd know their culture is steeped in military imagery. You can't go a day without seeing multiple references to their armed forces.

Yep. I actually had a Republican friend tell me that their party is better for the Troops because they "support them by going to war".

enewtabie

If this vessel was simply an ocean mapping vessel, and China swiped it from what are universally agreed international waters – that is poor form. And generally China behave aggressively in that part of the world…so it’s believable.

But I will just say, why do people get surprised when people don’t like that the US has a military presence thousands of miles away from home. Why is there a US vessel in those waters? Why are there as many US bases in the South China Sea as there are?

If China started to set up bases close to the US they would lose their shit.

China is a growing power and it will assert itself in that way. The US has set the precedent for a lot of this kind of behaviour.

They were north of Subic Bay in intl waters from what I saw this morning. So depending on where they were exactly, maybe 1500-2000 miles away from China? USN is all over the world and has been for many years. I feel like there's going to be some sort of mild response to this. Probably nothing anybody will notice except the Chinese.

marrec

Banned
Yes, China escalated this. Not like this wasn't all triggered because of Trump. Nope. China just did all this in a vacuum.

This wasn't all triggered because of Trump. This is most likely a response to Obama's push back on their encroachment in the South China Sea.

You know, where the drone was nabbed. Yes, China is miffed at Trump's bloviating, but Obama's actual response to their South China Sea expansion has them much more concerned currently.

Some of y'all see anything happening bad and tie it back to Trump somehow.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Yes, China escalated this. Not like this wasn't all triggered because of Trump. Nope. China just did all this in a vacuum.

China absolutely escalated this. lol

I swear, with you, if there was an article that said "Guy slaughtering babies, stopped single handedly by Donald Trump" you'd say something like "It's not like someone else wouldn't have stopped that" or "Slaughtering babies is good for the environment"

Yep. I actually had a Republican friend tell me that their party is better for the Troops because they "support them by going to war".

I don't believe you lol

This wasn't all triggered because of Trump. This is most likely a response to Obama's push back on their encroachment in the South China Sea.

You know, where the drone was nabbed. Yes, China is miffed at Trump's bloviating, but Obama's actual response to their South China Sea expansion has them much more concerned currently.

Some of y'all see anything happening bad and tie it back to Trump somehow.

It's par for the course at this point.

ZOONAMI

China absolutely escalated this, as well as Obama. lol

I swear, with you, if there was a an article that said "Guy slaughtering babies, stopped single handedly by Donald Trump" you'd say something like "It's not like someone else wouldn't have stopped that" or "Slaughtering babies is good for the environment"

I don't believe you lol

You're fooling yourself if you think China would have brazenly grabbed a drone like this without Trump's phone call and comments about using the one china policy as some kind of bargaining chip. 100% this is flexing in response to trump undermining decades of US China foreign policy.

jayu26

All the International players need to calm the fuck down. Deescalate.

Meanwhile, I will be here getting by fly leather jacket, leg braces and V8 Interceptor ready.

Protein

Banned
I'm glad we have a new, well-tempered, kind, intelligent President-elect to ensure that relations remain friendly between China and our country in the next few years. It's not like he insults them on a regular basis, that would be silly. We will have tremendous relations, the best relations.

marrec

Banned
You're fooling yourself if you think China would have brazenly grabbed a drone like this without Trump's phone call and comments about using the one china policy as some kind of bargaining chip. 100% this is flexing in response to trump undermining decades of US China foreign policy.

No one even cares about Trump's poor understanding of Chinese politics at this point.

As of two days ago, the head of US Pacific Command basically threatened China with escalating action if they continue to fuck around in the South China Sea.

So, you think this is in response to Trump Tweets weeks ago rather than the head of US Military Operations in the Pacific threatening them 2 days ago?

:lol okay

TaterTots

Banned
GAF is tunnel visioned on Trump right now. China's economy was already going down the toilet and they would of done this regardless of Trump. There have been several posts going further into detail, but everyone ignores it and says, "thanks Trump, you're killing China and now they aren't gonna take it anymore!" What?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

This conflict has been going on for a while though. And if they think we were in their seas, that's something that they may do.

GAF is tunnel visioned on Trump right now. China's economy was already going down the toilet and they would of done this regardless of Trump. There have been several posts going further into detail, but everyone ignores it and says, "thanks Trump, you're killing China and now they aren't gonna take it anymore!" What?

Correct. Did Trump also cause all of China's other provocations in the South China Sea?

ZOONAMI

No one even cares about Trump's poor understanding of Chinese politics at this point.

As of two days ago, the head of US Pacific Command basically threatened China with escalating action if they continue to fuck around in the South China Sea.

So, you think this is in response to Trump Tweets weeks ago rather than the head of US Military Operations in the Pacific threatening them 2 days ago?

:lol okay

The Chinese care more about trump dismissing a core tenant of their policy than posturing from US Pacific Command, yes.

Lots of people do care about trumps positions, just not his delusional supporters.

Someone has to do another version of that video (with russia starting a nuclear war), but this time with Chineses and noodles everywhere.

marrec

Banned
The Chinese care more about trump dismissing a core tenant of their policy than posturing from US Pacific Command, yes.

Lots of people do care about trumps positions, just not his delusional supporters.

I've given you a separate, more recent, and clearly more immediately dire motive for China's actions here and you ignore it in favor of Trump tweets. China made a statement at the time Trump Tweeted and Called and it basically amounted to "He's a blowhard, China is One, we'll see what he says once shit gets real in January".

Meanwhile, Admiral Harris is in Sydney saying:

"We will not allow a shared domain to be closed down unilaterally no matter how many bases are built on artificial features in the South China Sea"

But you think this is in response to tweets.

Okay.

kess

Something that I've been noticing is that there has been attempted rehabilitation of Gen. McArthur by the right on sites like Wikipedia and elsewhere, trying to absolve him of his actions well before Trump won the election -- a concerted effort among certain parts of the right to change our policy and attitudes with China for some time.

I guess this will mean that Trump won't be the cause for future ones too? Or will that be Bush's or Obama's fault?

No they will be his fault, but they will be a continuation of the standoff in the South China Sea. They have nothing to do with his public comments about China.

I don't remember you out here complaining about Obama's position on the South China Sea. All the sudden before Trump even has taken office this is his fault.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've given you a separate, more recent, and clearly more immediately dire motive for China's actions here and you ignore it in favor of Trump tweets. China made a statement at the time Trump Tweeted and Called and it basically amounted to "He's a blowhard, China is One, we'll see what he says once shit gets real in January".

Meanwhile, Admiral Harris is in Sydney saying:

"We will not allow a shared domain to be closed down unilaterally no matter how many bases are built on artificial features in the South China Sea"

But you think this is in response to tweets.

Okay.

I think it can be both. A pretty sweet FU to Obama during his last days in the White House *and* a way to drum up a potential crisis just a bit later if Trump does something stupid during his first weeks.

China is usually pretty smart when it comes to powerplays. The timing probably is in their favour for this kind of international dickery. They get to send a message to America and put the next president in an awkward situation.

No they will be his fault, but they will be a continuation of the standoff in the South China Sea. They have nothing to do with his public comments about China.

I don't remember you out here complaining about Obama's position on the South China Sea. All the sudden before Trump even has taken office this is his fault.

Standoff is a standoff, not what has been happening the last couple weeks where there is escalation. I can't help but tie that to events of Trump.

Proxy

Can we stop comparing every situation to the outbreak of WWI

It's getting very, very old and not even remotely apt for comparison.

I wasn't comparing this situation to the outbreak of World War I. Please read the post I was responding to. My point was that some Europeans thought that globalization would prevent a general European war.

marrec

Banned
I think it can be both. A pretty sweet FU to Obama during his last days in the White House *and* a way to drum up a potential crisis just a bit later if Trump does something stupid during his first weeks.

China is usually pretty smart when it comes to powerplays. The timing probably is in their favour for this kind of international dickery. They get to send a message to America and put the next president in an awkward situation.
I'm sure that their long term goals are more nuanced then any of us here are discussing. However to presume that this was precipitated by Trump and not the long established diplomatic conflict currently ongoing in the South China Sea is, I think, naive.

But ya it's possibly also a "here's what you can expect" to Trump.

Reeks

S1yJsgG.gif

SmashingPumpkins-TEITBITE.jpg

Madness

It is crazy to me how many Americans and even others from the West have such a hatred for Trump that they are secretly happy or gloating over this seizure. China does not have any LEGAL claim to the South China Sea. You are witnessing the seizure of a sovereign US naval ship operating in international waters by a foreign naval presence. It is one thing if they were in the exclusive waters of Phillipines or Vietnam and those countries seized the ship but they weren't. At the end of the day, China is and will be in the wrong here no matter what Trump tweeted about Taiwan.

kmfdmpig

Are we talking about the same China?

I don't think we are.

Seriously. It's like some posters forget that China unilaterally claimed a huge area of sea, built artificial islands and has placed weapons on them.

That's the definition of stirring up shit internationally.

It is crazy to me how many Americans and even others from the West have such a hatred for Trump that they are secretly happy or gloating over this seizure. China does not have any LEGAL claim to the South China Sea. You are witnessing the seizure of a sovereign US naval ship operating in international waters by a foreign naval presence. It is one thing if they were in the exclusive waters of Phillipines or Vietnam and those countries seized the ship but they weren't. At the end of the day, China is and will be in the wrong here no matter what Trump tweeted about Taiwan.

This too. Hating Trump for (likely) being poor about human rights and (likely) trying to restrict the free press is a reasonable position, but then it's important to recognize that China's government is quite a bit worse than all but the most pessimistic forecasts of what Trump will be. China is a garbage tier country when it comes to human rights and freedom.

JZA

Can't help but think now there's going to be tons of counterfeit versions of this drone all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom