• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chiptunes |OT| Not just for games anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

a2166317861_2.jpg

Rushjet1 - Mega Man Remade

It's the Mega Man 1 soundtrack done with the VRC6

http://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-remade

OnPoint

Some of it is really nice, like Wily Stage 1. Some other stuff sticks too closely to the original material with added channels. I guess that was the point. :p

I know what you mean. I really liked Wily 1 & 2, as I've always found them really lacking, but Bomb Man and Fire Man were both a little disappointing. Even still, it's cool to see what depth someone can add with tasteful application of the VRC6.

OnPoint

Don't be disappointed, feel free to add! There's SO much out there, it's impossible for someone to know it all.

Chipzel is amazing, expect an add to the OP next time I do an update.

As for this other one you mention, I'm going to listen now.

Edit: Not really feeling Bignic, but it's not poorly composed. Just doesn't grab me in any way personally.

Cody_D165

Banned
Thanks for sharing Cody! How long have you been working with LSDJ?

Hah I'm still kind of a noob, I think I downloaded LSDJ around a year ago and haven't really sat down to put much effort into it. Just more of an every-now-and-then thing. Fun to mess around with though!

OnPoint

Just picked up my second Game Boy DMG-01 today. Next step is the carts. I know there's going to be a big difference between Famitracker and Game Boy composing, but I'm excited to learn the difference.

Thought I'd plug a couple of covers of music that I've done recently. They are both done in FamiTracker using the VRC6 chip.

The first is of Battle!! Frontier Brain from Pokémon Emerald: Link.

The second is of A Clear Mind - Burning Palm from Mobile Fighter G Gundam: Link.

OnPoint

Thought I'd plug a couple of covers of music that I've done recently. They are both done in FamiTracker using the VRC6 chip.

The first is of Battle!! Frontier Brain from Pokémon Emerald: Link.

The second is of A Clear Mind - Burning Palm from Mobile Fighter G Gundam: Link.

I generally hate the way the VRC6 sounds but you did a good job with these. Are the drum sounds due to the VRC6, or did you import samples?

I generally hate the way the VRC6 sounds but you did a good job with these. Are the drum sounds due to the VRC6, or did you import samples?

I got samples for the timpani and drums, somewhere on the forums I think. Personally I quite like VRC6 and the VRC7 not so much. N163 done well is also pretty good.

OnPoint

OnPoint

Had to do my podcast alone this week, everyone bailed, so I put together a mix of tunes for an hour. If anyone's looking to jam out to some tunes, give it a listen.

You can stream it right from this link.

Here's the tracklisting.

Part 1
Laffe the Fox – Sloth Machines
Monomer – Dastardly Deeds
Mr Foetus – Deadpan DA
Petriform – Heliofluid
Theory of N – Buttdawg Funk

Part 2
Lifeformed – Cider Time – Dustforce
Sega – Billie Jean – Moonwalker
Capcom – Concrete Jungle – Mega Man 9
Capcom – Magma Burning – Mega Man 9
Module – Argon Refinery – Shatter
Namco – Decisive – Tales of Phantasia
Konami – Pyramid of Fear- Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Konami – Mars Needs Cheerleaders – Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Part 3
Rusko – Bionic Commando
Chipzel – Focus – Super Hexagon
Fear Of Dark – Flame Repellent
Disasterpeace – Death Satellite Evasion
RushJet1 – Troubled Dreams

JoeMartin

Dunno if this belongs here or in the synthpop thread, but holy Christ - Rise of the Obsidian Interstellar might be one of the best albums I've heard in a long time, period. I just went end to end twice to make sure I wasn't out my mind.

Ensis, Wandering Lights and Submerciful are, in particular, my personal highlights, but this whole album is boiling over with perspicacious musicality and an enigmatic variance of dissonance into ever more pleasant resolution of texture and aesthetic that you don't see often in any genre. Rich Vreeland is a seriously talented musician.

OnPoint

Dunno if this belongs here or in the synthpop thread, but holy Christ - Rise of the Obsidian Interstellar might be one of the best albums I've heard in a long time, period. I just went end to end twice to make sure I wasn't out my mind.

Ensis, Wandering Lights and Submerciful are, in particular, my personal highlights, but this whole album is boiling over with perspicacious musicality and an enigmatic variance of dissonance into ever more pleasant resolution of texture and aesthetic that you don't see often in any genre. Rich Vreeland is a seriously talented musician.

You're in the right place. Ensis is an amazing song and Rich is incredibly talented for sure. That's why he gets so much actual soundtrack work these days.

And while I know the thread title reads "not just for games anymore", the Shovel Knight soundtrack by Jake 'Virt' Kaufman is also in-fucking-credible.

a3801413220_2.jpg

LaneDS

You're in the right place. Ensis is an amazing song and Rich is incredibly talented for sure. That's why he gets so much actual soundtrack work these days.

And while I know the thread title reads "not just for games anymore", the Shovel Knight soundtrack by Jake 'Virt' Kaufman is also in-fucking-credible.

a3801413220_2.jpg

Am I a heathen if I post in here with some regularity and say I'm not as blown away by it as I was hoping to be? Only halfway through the game but I haven't played any stages where I just want to sit and let the music play for a bit. Not saying it's bad by any means, of course, just had my expectations set a little too high I think.

Edit: Throwing some more positivity in here- I think "Plains of Passage" is my favorite track thus far. Has that classic "Mega Man beat" for lack of a better description.

OnPoint

Am I a heathen if I post in here with some regularity and say I'm not as blown away by it as I was hoping to be? Only halfway through the game but I haven't played any stages where I just want to sit and let the music play for a bit. Not saying it's bad by any means, of course, just had my expectations set a little too high I think.

Edit: Throwing some more positivity in here- I think "Plains of Passage" is my favorite track thus far. Has that classic "Mega Man beat" for lack of a better description.

Nah, you're entitled. But some of the things he's doing... I want to get under the hood and see what's what. I don't know, I think it's a pretty stellar soundtrack, but that's just me.

Just Native Instruments FM8

I don't know anything about FM8. Is there a program? Is there a specific piece of hardware you use?

lazygecko

It's the go-to software synth for FM synthesis. Very compatible with anything that works on the same principles, like the Yamaha DX7 or the YM2612 which the Genesis/Mega Drive uses. It can even import sounds from those two. I programmed these sounds myself though.

OnPoint

It's the go-to software synth for FM synthesis. Very compatible with anything that works on the same principles, like the Yamaha DX7 or the YM2612 which the Genesis/Mega Drive uses. It can even import sounds from those two. I programmed these sounds myself though.

Oh nice, that sounds awesome. I'm going to have to look into this, I've been looking to diversify my sounds from just Famitracker. Is it freeware, or is it a paid program (I know Google exists, but I like talking on here lol)

lazygecko

It's part of the Native Instruments suite of VST Plugins. Costs maybe $150 on its own. Most people get it as part of Komplete which is a couple hundred bucks more, but you get so much stuff that paying $150 just for that seems ludicrious in comparison.

There are other, often free FM softsynths that specifically emulate old console FM chips like VOPM or FMDrive (FMDrive also has the unique distortions of the Genesis hardware). But I just find the FM8 interface much better to work with.

LaneDS

Nah, you're entitled. But some of the things he's doing... I want to get under the hood and see what's what. I don't know, I think it's a pretty stellar soundtrack, but that's just me.

I like it, for sure. Sometimes love it. It's growing on me every time I play the game a bit more so that's a good sign.

Anyway, wanted to share that Anamanaguchi has a new remix of Sad Machine up on their Soundcloud here. Not sure if some of their other recent stuff got mentioned in here (scrolling down is hard work) so there might be some other new things on that page for their fans to check out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom