• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Dring at GDC: Xbox sales flatlining in Europe, majority of Xbox games coming to PS5 at some point, MS putting less focus on GamePass

1. Fire Phil
2. Single SKU going foreard
3. All 1st party games available on GP but not at launch
4. No more games on PS5, Switch and PC unless it’s an indie game - you want to play ESVI, you buy an Xbox

Satya, call me anytime.

iu

jm89

No, but I am sure those magic boxes will protect you from accessories and custom firmware.
Jump Dive GIF by The Traitors Australia
Custom firmware on consoles are not really a huge issue for multiplayer. People who hack it keep it offline to prevent Sony/ms detecting their hacked consoles.

Yeah accesrioes can be a problem but measures are being taken to prevent those, and it's nowhere near problematic as it is on pc.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
1. Fire Phil
4. No more games on PS5, Switch and PC unless it’s an indie game - you want to play ESVI, you buy an Xbox

Satya, call me anytime.
Fire Phil, Matt Booty, Yusuf Mehdi, Aaron Greenberg and Sarah Bond. Replace them with actual game developers. Suits have shown that they cant run this business. You need people with actual game dev experience to call out devs who are producing mediocre games repeatedly over at MGS and BGS. you need devs to be able to recognize talent and promote true geniuses. they are rare but these MS execs have been running the show for almost two decades and have yet to cultivate one their own Neil, Cory, Jaffe, Todd Howard, Kojima, Myazaki, Warren Spector, ken levine etc.

Kill GP.
Kill Series S. And offer them all Series Xs. Get rid of the excess stock that way and gain some trust back.
Kill PC ports. You want to play Starfield? Buy an xbox instead of giving your money to nvidia who have zero desire to be in the gaming business, and just want to create AI chips for whore robots that will eventually exist to serve our sexual needs. Nvidia are nothing but pimps in the making. Fuck em.

Last edited:
Custom firmware on consoles are not really a huge issue for multiplayer. People who hack it keep it offline to prevent Sony/ms detecting their hacked consoles.

Yeah accesrioes can be a problem but measures are being taken to prevent those, and it's nowhere near problematic as it is on pc.
How do you know? You don't play on PC...
Think Which One GIF

Last edited:
Kill GP.
Kill Series S. And offer them all Series Xs. Get rid of the access stock that way and gain some trust back.
Kill PC ports. You want to play Starfield? Buy an xbox instead of giving your money to nvidia who have zero desire to be in the gaming business, and just want to create AI chips for whore robots that will eventually exist to serve our sexual needs. Nvidia are nothing but pimps in the making. Fuck em.

At that point killing the whole Xbox brand makes much more sense...

Nobody cares anyway

Denorion

Neo Member
1. Fire Phil

Satya, call me anytime.
Probably too late to do that after spending 77 billion of Microsoft money,
They will want to recoup costs ASAP

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
When did youtube channels with 3k in subscribers become reputable news sources?
I mean Chris writes for Dr. Who Magazine as well as gameindustry.biz so everything he says must be true, even if it is conjecture.

Kerotan

No, but I am sure those magic boxes will protect you from accessories and custom firmware.
Jump Dive GIF by The Traitors Australia
They're on pc aswell. You can act like you know but there's a reason most console players turn it off especially for cod. Ranked this season is unplayable with it on.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
lol nonsense. Sales split show 15-20% sales go to Xbox. 55-60% go to PS5 and the rest of the 15-20% go to PC in UK. So if they stop portin games Xbox, might as well stop shipping games on PC.

20% might sound low but sometimes it comes down to whether or not you are profitable. So if they skip Xbox, they better hope to make that up on PS5 and PC. And good luck with that.

MS just needs to kill gamepass because they have trained their users to not buy games and wait for them to show up on gamepass. Xbox userbase always used to spend more per user than the PS userbase up until the X1 era. It was only after gamepass did we start to see lower spending on the box. Kill gamepass and you will see people spend more.
A portion of the 20% of Xbox gamers are going to buy the game on PC or PS5 then, they are not going to loose all of these sales.
Could still be more viable selling 10% less with the Xbox crowd but forgo porting / QA testing / patching etc for the Xbox hardware SKUs.

I don't understand the XBOX debacle right after they spent 70 billion on a top-5 IP, which should have brought them back to competition.

Instead, they are on a suicide run, lemming style.

they had a good opportunity to gain ground but failed miserably.

The opportunity you thought was there was not. The opportunity to build ground for Microsoft would have needed to start in 2014-2016.

Just buy a PS5. It's gonna have all the Xbox games anyway.

Devs at this point need to just cut Xbox Series S support especially with games gonna need a ps5 pro version. That console never should have existed.

The Series S is the better selling system. I don't think the Series S was a mistake. If anything without a significantly cheaper option, this could have been even uglier for Microsoft.

ainland European console market. There's little to no excitement around Xbox HW. At least I'm getting great deals on Xbox physicals as retailers are trying to clear/move stock....

They had to prioritize supply for the US and UK. This almost certainly sent them even further back in Europe, where they actually an opportunity to compete with supply constrained PlayStation. Maybe with a sufficient pricing model and marketing, they could have made an impact there.

This is depressing stuff. Worst part is that Spencer could’ve turned things around with honest job like producing games the traditional way and make them globally acclaimed must have. But he chose to be Netflix, because subscriptions.

I believe the main mistake is Gamepass. Xbox Games going to other platforms now is just a result of it, accelerated by some crazy acquisitions. It was never a good idea imo

You're absolutely correct. GamePass was in fact the real killer here, but it was also a hail mary. Nintendo took a hail mary on Wii and it worked. They took a hail mary on Switch and it worked. Microsoft took a hail mary and it didn't work. Can't blame them, because without GamePass Xbox One probably doesn't sell nearly as well as it did and you're still in the same position that you are now.

The reality is even launching a successor to the Xbox One was a bit of a miracle for Microsoft who wanted out of the hardware business.

Well the way things are going at Xbox, their exclusives very likely could end up day one on playstation.

So playstation will very likely become the platform to get everything day one.

So if you want everything straight away playstation will be the best platform. Of course if you want top of the line performance then that's a different story.

PlayStation is always going to be the more convenient place to play compared to PC. Games will in large part run better on PlayStation than PC (not necessarily at a higher spec, but less buggy).

Sony is going to jump into handhelds and PC in a large way in the coming years, so it'll be interesting to see a new dynamic of competition between Sony and Nintendo and Sony and Valve, but maybe most importantly Sony and Nvidia.

Denorion

Neo Member
I don't understand the XBOX debacle right after they spent 70 billion on a top-5 IP, which should have brought them back to competition.

Tbh, the expectation at the start of buyout was making everything exclusive (the initial deal was cod on playstation for 3 years only)
Fast forward to current times, Cod has to stay multiplataform for 10 years and xbox sales fell of a cliff
They must feel its joever

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
trump fake news GIF

PS5 is never going to have 70 years of software ported to it. It does not even have half the games that released on PC in the last year.

PC and PS5 have been a solid combination for me. But no......PS5 does not have all the PC games. All the last/current AAA games, sure, but there is a lot more on PC than most console gamers realize.
So ...even PC have....exclusives.

:pie_thinking:

Something I've bought up before whenever the exclusives debates start.

There are even PC games launching soon or in the near future that won't come to console day one.

Topher

Gold Member
What games are relevant on PC that aren’t on console other than point and click games?

The strategy genre alone has a rich library of games on PC. Hearts of Iron 4, Homeworld, Total War, etc.

More than that though. Last Epoch was just released on PC and has a lot of folks playing it. I see a lot of games on Steam that just are not available on consoles. Probably because they don't have to worry about stuff like dev kits. Ease of entry.

gothmog

Gold Member
lol nonsense. Sales split show 15-20% sales go to Xbox. 55-60% go to PS5 and the rest of the 15-20% go to PC in UK. So if they stop portin games Xbox, might as well stop shipping games on PC.

20% might sound low but sometimes it comes down to whether or not you are profitable. So if they skip Xbox, they better hope to make that up on PS5 and PC. And good luck with that.

MS just needs to kill gamepass because they have trained their users to not buy games and wait for them to show up on gamepass. Xbox userbase always used to spend more per user than the PS userbase up until the X1 era. It was only after gamepass did we start to see lower spending on the box. Kill gamepass and you will see people spend more.
If Xbox kills Gamepass they're done as Xbox. They need to grow as a third party publisher before they do that.

BigLee74

You will see another Xbox, and games will continue to be developed and sold on Xbox.

Probably.

Kind of agree that day and date on Gamepass might have been a bit more generous than they initially intended.

That's the reason for the debacle. They spent too much for way too long that finally the top management came lay down the law. Bought so much 3rd parties that they became themselves a 3rd party.

I wouldn't care much, except they have a tendency to make everything they touch worse.

And this is why I don't have any sympathy for Xbox 'pundits'; their 'analysis' and 'commentary' were always full of shit and excuses in favor of Xbox. ZERO critical thinking or insight about it.

But it is nice to see that specific community in shambles.

Regarding Xbox, as I said before, the atonement task in the next 2-4 years is going to be hell.

MScarpa

My PS5 is where I play 95% of my games as well as my purchases. My Series X is just a Gamepass box for me and the kids, which isn't bad but ain't great either. I really don't want Sony to become complacent though. Competition is good.

Top Bottom