• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Rock to host next Oscars

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulapik

Variety reported on Tuesday that the comedian was in serious talks to return to the awards show. He previously hosted the Oscars in 2005.

“Chris Rock is truly the MVP of the entertainment industry,” said Hill and Hudlin. “Comedian, actor, writer, producer, director, documentarian – he’s done it all. He’s going to be a phenomenal Oscar host!”

The veteran comedian takes over for as MC after Neil Patrick Harris hosted last year’s telecast, which drew the show’s lowest ratings in six years.

In an interview with Variety last month, Hill and Hudlin said they were eager to give the ABC telecast a fresh look.

“The challenge is to make it entertaining,” Hill said, “so it doesn’t seem like a lesson, so the audience cares for people when they get onstage.”

Hill, a 25-year veteran from Fox Sports, also helped launch mega-hit “American Idol.” Hudlin and Rock worked together on the recently defunct TV series “Everybody Hates Chris.”

“We share David and Reggie’s excitement in welcoming Chris, whose comedic voice has really defined a generation,” said Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs. “He is certain to bring his amazing array of talents to this year’s show.”

Rock added: “I’m so glad to be hosting the Oscars. It’s great to be back.”

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/chris-rock-oscars-host-1201623174/

Sanjuro

Chris Rock in 2015...

Better than I would have imagined to be honest. I just didn't think he would be someone they would have went back to.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Get MacFarlane back, best host in years. Actually made it interesting to watch.

Sanjuro

Dave Chappelle please.

But Chris Rock will do.

Chappelle is still legit shook.

QN0J2JR.gif

All ceremonies are a terrible and cringe worthy, so it is actually sort of irrelevant who hosts the Oscars.

I wish they did something more straight forward and stopped with the horrible humor.

YEEEEEEESSS

I've been watching so many of his talk show appearances and sets on YouTube recently. Dude is hilarious. Id say the best living black comedian tbh

I hope he keeps it real. His monologue on SNL did not shy from controversy

Last time he hosted oscars it was pretty damn funny.

I'll actually tune in to the opening for the first time in years

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
whats that special he did with the "bullets should cost 100 bucks each" or something like that. Man I loved that thing

BkMogul

Hollywood is too PC for Rock, but I give the Academy credit for bringing him back. I loved his edginess, but I think he's probably going to be more neutered this time around.

Ashhong

His hosting of the MTV Movies Awards is still my favorite. Or maybe it was the VMAs. Whichever one had the R. Kelly jokes. HIlarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom