• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash of Clans |OT|

I always wanted to try this game, as I've been really into some other similar "build, wait & war" games (as I call them). My problem with those other games, and ultimately why I left, is that I felt like I had to always be paying attention to the game, lest my base and troops and resources get demolished by some unforeseen attack from an enemy. Even when I get really strong, there's always someone else who spend $1000 and just pushes me back a week or 2 with one attack. I just can't monitor the game 24/7...

Anyway, is that how this game is? I do miss the camaraderie of my old team and the wars we'd get into, so I might look into this.

that's exactly what this game is. These higher levels are sooooooooooooooooo grindy. It's ridiculous.

gutshot

Getting attacked once sets you back a week in the game?

Yeah, I wouldn't say it sets you back a week or two. You lose some resources but it is never more than what you could make back in a couple of raids. The trophy loss hurts more, I guess, but that only matters if you are trying to make a push into masters or champions.

Anyway, I would say just give it a try and see how you like it. It's free, so why not?

I always wanted to try this game, as I've been really into some other similar "build, wait & war" games (as I call them). My problem with those other games, and ultimately why I left, is that I felt like I had to always be paying attention to the game, lest my base and troops and resources get demolished by some unforeseen attack from an enemy. Even when I get really strong, there's always someone else who spend $1000 and just pushes me back a week or 2 with one attack. I just can't monitor the game 24/7...

Anyway, is that how this game is? I do miss the camaraderie of my old team and the wars we'd get into, so I might look into this.

No, this game is not that extreme.

There is a maximum that someone can take from you. So if you have been fighting for days/weeks and you max out your storages (8,000,000 gold and 8,000,000 elixir) the most someone can take from you is 400,000 of each. And if that happens it will give you a 12 or 16hr shield.

Now yes, if you just don't play the game for a week, someone will rape you every 12-16 hours. But thats on you for not playing for so long.

You get to a point in the game (late Town Hall 8 and definitely early Town Hall 9) where it is nearly impossible to get 3-starred... which is someone completely coming through and wiping you out 100%.

As a Town Hall 9 with a good base, I haven't gotten 100% wiped out in months.

There are different "Leagues" that the game places you in based on your trophy range, you gain and lose trophies by winning and losing battles. There is Bronze, Silver, Gold, Crystal, Masters, Champion. And 3 versions of each league (Gold 1, Gold 2, Gold 3)

Crystal is where is starts to get tough to win and not get attacked, Masters is even harder, Champions league is very very very grind and a lot of people playing a lot of human money to build armies and keep attacking.

I stick to Crystal as my highest.

kasane

Started playing and im on bronze 2

and i actually remember where they ripped this off

Backyard monsters from facebook

Almost done with TH5!

WUQFkk1.png

All my buildings, mines, storages, troops, and defenses are now max level. I just need 120k gold to upgrade my remaining walls, and I can make that with 1 really good raid or 2-3 decent raids, so no problems there. I'll spend the rest of the next 2½ days hoarding gold and elixir for all the upcoming upgrades.

Booties

Banned
I maxed out th 6 and will have th7 saturday morning. so pumped. chilling on 2mil/2mil with 400k/400k in the clan castle. I am ready.

Madness

I maxed out th 6 and will have th7 saturday morning. so pumped. chilling on 2mil/2mil with 400k/400k in the clan castle. I am ready.

Haha, you play this game Booties? I've been playing regularly since it came out for Android. I just maxed everything for TH8, moving to TH9 soon, just want to do some walls to black first.

I wanted to see if anyone on GAF played. Just a few days back, the first and only clan I ever joined since October disbanded, so it hasn't been as fun. Lost my pumpkin bomb and santa strike a few weeks ago too, because some guy used troops on my corners.

Haha, you play this game Booties? I've been playing regularly since it came out for Android. I just maxed everything for TH8, moving to TH9 soon, just want to do some walls to black first.

I wanted to see if anyone on GAF played. Just a few days back, the first and only clan I ever joined since October disbanded, so it hasn't been as fun. Lost my pumpkin bomb and santa strike a few weeks ago too, because some guy used troops on my corners.

You can join our clan, search for it: Loot Nation

elty

Need advice.

I made to TH4, then when I am upgrading my mortar someone came and raided me 15K each.

Silo: 1 each at 50K
Resource: 4 each, mix of lv 5 and 6

Barrack: 2 x lv 2, 1 x lv 5
Camp: 70 total

Wall: 75, all lv 1
Defense: 2x lv3 Cannon, 2x lv3 Archer Tower, 1x lv 2 Mortar

Research building

So what should I prioritize here? I am wondering if I should just try making TH5 so I can build more defense.

I have my resource buildings (excluding TH) all inside wall, but I heard I should only leave the silo there?

My problem with those other games, and ultimately why I left, is that I felt like I had to always be paying attention to the game, lest my base and troops and resources get demolished by some unforeseen attack from an enemy. Even when I get really strong, there's always someone else who spend $1000 and just pushes me back a week or 2 with one attack. I just can't monitor the game 24/7...

Pretty much. Unless you have shield on, you have to watch out for people. I wish you could turn PVP On/Off because I want to beat the story first before PVP.
I got turned off by the game because apparently your game ties into your Google Play account and my game on it is pretty crap. They should give you the option to delete your cloud save without having to make another account. Hay Day is much more mellow and harder to screw up, so I play it instead.

I'm Town Hall 6 and while it does suck when you get demolished in a raid, it certainly does not set you back anywhere near a week. I've heard the higher levels like Town Halls 9 and 10 are a lot more grindy, so I'm going to stop at Town Hall 7. This game is fun if you don't take to too seriously.

There's a similar game called Castle Clash that I play, and it's even less grindy. You can re-use your troops if they survive a raid, and troop training is much faster. So maybe you'd enjoy that.

LordOfChaos

I'm set back nowhere near a week, though I'm TH9. I steadily accumulate monies even when not playing, so long as I collect resources once a day.

Anywho, how are my bases? Regular, and war.

lYg5neA.jpg

Q9S3jlx.jpg

(I got the screenshot from a replay rather than scouting in this one, there are obviously traps in those gaps in the wall)

Honeycombing walls and triangulating (or squaring) defenses - your two defensive best friends.

Kind of wish I could copy the war one to the main one, but you can only do it the other way around.

By the way, I've gotten here spending not a single cent. Supercell really lets you get a lot of free content, there are just a fraction of users who pay and in doing so fund the rest of us playing for free, so don't hate on them.

gutshot

Need advice.

I made to TH4, then when I am upgrading my mortar someone came and raided me 15K each.

Silo: 1 each at 50K
Resource: 4 each, mix of lv 5 and 6

Barrack: 2 x lv 2, 1 x lv 5
Camp: 70 total

Wall: 75, all lv 1
Defense: 2x lv3 Cannon, 2x lv3 Archer Tower, 1x lv 2 Mortar

Research building

So what should I prioritize here? I am wondering if I should just try making TH5 so I can build more defense.

I have my resource buildings (excluding TH) all inside wall, but I heard I should only leave the silo there?

Upgrade your walls for sure. Level 1 walls are pretty worthless. Get them all up to level 3, at least. That more than doubles their hitpoints. Otherwise your priority should go, in order, mortars, archer towers, cannons. Once you get wizard towers and air defenses, they would go in between the mortars and archer towers in priority order.

You should have walls surrounding your storages and as many defenses as you can fit. As long as you are checking your village often and regularly collecting the loot from the mines and pumps, you don't need to put them behind walls. A nearly empty collector gives out barely any loot, so put them outside your walls and use them as "meat shields" that the offense has to go through to get to your storages and defenses.

I'm set back nowhere near a week, though I'm TH9. I steadily accumulate monies even when not playing, so long as I collect resources once a day.

Anywho, how are my bases? Regular, and war.

(I got the screenshot from a replay rather than scouting in this one, there are obviously traps in those gaps in the wall)

Honeycombing walls and triangulating (or squaring) defenses - your two defensive best friends.

Kind of wish I could copy the war one to the main one, but you can only do it the other way around.

By the way, I've gotten here spending not a single cent. Supercell really lets you get a lot of free content, there are just a fraction of users who pay and in doing so fund the rest of us playing for free, so don't hate on them.

Looks pretty good but you really need to upgrade your walls. A TH9 should have all purple walls at least.

Upgrade your walls for sure. Level 1 walls are pretty worthless. Get them all up to level 3, at least. That more than doubles their hitpoints. Otherwise your priority should go, in order, mortars, archer towers, cannons. Once you get wizard towers and air defenses, they would go in between the mortars and archer towers in priority order.

You should have walls surrounding your storages and as many defenses as you can fit. As long as you are checking your village often and regularly collecting the loot from the mines and pumps, you don't need to put them behind walls. A nearly empty collector gives out barely any loot, so put them outside your walls and use them as "meat shields" that the offense has to go through to get to your storages and defenses.

Looks pretty good but you really need to upgrade your walls. A TH9 should have all purple walls at least.
Purple wars at max, too actually. Purple walls and all the walls above take just 2 wallbreakers to get through. No real point in going higher unless you really want to do it for aesthetics.

LordOfChaos

Yeah, admittedly I went for the shiney golden canons and fire spewing mortars before upgrading all my walls, I need to work on that. Though going from pink to purple saps all my gold for a long time.

Ugh, that feel when you finally get an awesome raid (dude left all his storages and mines undefended) and you get a phone call as you're deploying your troops. Went from an easy 100% victory to a 28% defeat because I barely got any troops out before my game closed due to the call. :(

Ugh, that feel when you finally get an awesome raid (dude left all his storages and mines undefended) and you get a phone call as you're deploying your troops. Went from an easy 100% victory to a 28% defeat because I barely got any troops out before my game closed due to the call. :(

That Sucks.

LordOfChaos

I spent 20 minutes arranging my war base when I got a lost connection. Those things are killer. I can understand why Supercell plays it safe and resets everything to pre-raid stats after one, but it does suck losing a lot of resources in raids and new layouts.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
TH7 player here, this is my current base:

XqFHqN8.jpg

I'm currently trying to raid 10,000 dark elixir so that I'm able to build Barbarian King without having to spend gems... that's looking pretty hard, since large quantities of stored dark elixir are like a flag that says "I WANNA GET RAIDED!". My only strategy is raiding more than I lose. Any tips? :)

My building strategy is:
- Only upgrade town hall once everything else is maxed out (except enough walls and storage to upgrade while the town hall upgrades).
- After upgrading town hall, first priority is to build all possible new buildings and getting them to the same level as the existing ones.
- Priorities for upgrading on each town hall level are:
1 - Resource collectors
2 - Laboratory
3 - Defenses and Clan Castle
4 - Army camps
5 - Barracks and spell factories
6 - Walls
7 - Storage

Standard army composition is currently as follows:

For optimized strength vs. cost ratio:
2 x Healer ** (28)
12 x Giant **** (60)
2 x Wall Breaker ****(4)
54 x Barbarian **** (54)
54 x Archer **** (54)
1 x Lightning Spell ****
1 x Healing Spell ****
1 x Rage Spell ****

For fast raiding:
200 x Archer **** (200) :p
3 x Lightning Spell ****

Any comments regarding my choices are welcome. :)

Booties

Banned

YES! Join my clan "Spergs of War". We have a flame emblem. From something awful.com. We do two wars a week. The only requirement is to be active, use both war attacks, and don't rush your town halls. Don't attack more than 5 above/below your base in wars. If you apply I can accept you. This is the best "fuck work" game ever.

TH7 player here, this is my current base:

XqFHqN8.jpg

I'm currently trying to raid 10,000 dark elixir so that I'm able to build Barbarian King without having to spend gems... that's looking pretty hard, since large quantities of stored dark elixir are like a flag that says "I WANNA GET RAIDED!". My only strategy is raiding more than I lose. Any tips? :)

My building strategy is:
- Only upgrade town hall once everything else is maxed out (except enough walls and storage to upgrade while the town hall upgrades).
- After upgrading town hall, first priority is to build all possible new buildings and getting them to the same level as the existing ones.
- Priorities for upgrading on each town hall level are:
1 - Resource collectors
2 - Laboratory
3 - Defenses and Clan Castle
4 - Army camps
5 - Barracks and spell factories
6 - Walls
7 - Storage

Standard army composition is currently as follows:

For optimized strength vs. cost ratio:
2 x Healer ** (18)
12 x Giant **** (60)
2 x Wall Breaker ****(4)
54 x Barbarian **** (54)
54 x Archer **** (54)
1 x Lightning Spell ****
1 x Healing Spell ****
1 x Rage Spell ****

For fast raiding:
200 x Archer **** (200) :p
3 x Lightning Spell ****

Any comments regarding my choices are welcome. :)

Dude, collectors are your last priority. Unless you are super casual and check in once a day at the most, then you don't need collectors over lvl 9 unless you have spare builders. You may also want to add some barbs to your raiding crew for lower costs, more HP, some more power, and a distraction for defenses.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Dude, collectors are your last priority. Unless you are super casual and check in once a day at the most, then you don't need collectors over lvl 9 unless you have spare builders. You may also want to add some barbs to your raiding crew for lower costs, more HP, some more power, and a distraction for defenses.
Dunno, I feel that upgrading the collectors early has plenty of advantages in the long run. I am not as casual as you say, but I sure don't want to rely solely on raiding for all my resource needs.

Thank you for the army tip, I'll try that. :)

gutshot

Dunno, I feel that upgrading the collectors early has plenty of advantages in the long run. I am not as casual as you say, but I sure don't want to rely solely on raiding for all my resource needs.

Thank you for the army tip, I'll try that. :)

Definitely add barbs to your fast raiding army. It's called barching and it is the best way to farm resources. Most people will go with a 50/50 ratio, but feel free to mix it up.

For raiding dark elixir, I like to subtract a few barbs and archers and add 6 wallbreakers and 8 wizards. Look for a village that has their DE storage close to one side of the base. Lay down a bunch of barbs and archers to start clearing buildings on that side, drop the skellies and blast holes into their walls, then pour more barbs and archers in there and once you've got a nice clear path, drop the wizards to go in and hit the DE storage. You could also lose one of the lightning spells and take a rage instead. You can still take out a mortar or wizard tower with 2 lightning spells. Then you can use the rage on your wizards if you are worried they won't be able to get all the DE before getting killed. 8 wizards plus a rage spell will 1 or 2 shot a DE storage.

Also, you'll want to get your trophy count up so you can actually find bases with decent amounts of dark elixir. Somewhere in the 1500-1600 range should be good enough.

Hope that helps!

elty

Spent 6 gem so I can double my gold mine production to get enough gold for th5 before protection ran off in 8 hours. Seems to be more economical than buying gold directly.

I am always afraid to raid and get myself on the revenge list.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Spent 6 gem so I can double my gold mine production to get enough gold for th5 before protection ran off in 8 hours. Seems to be more economical than buying gold directly.

I am always afraid to raid and get myself on the revenge list.
One thing that I've learned is that the revenge feature is extremely underused.

LordOfChaos

Redid my war base.

Ife73YF.jpg

Thoughts?

I like that the CC is unlurable without significant troop drops, and my clan always donates a 3* dragon or 5* wizards to everyone for war, so troops that come in get mowed down fast. The giant bombs also take out lots of hogs leaving central defensive island untouched.

gutshot

Started playing this game a few weeks ago. Do we have a gaf clan I can join?

There's no official GAF clan, but me and Victory Red are in a clan together. What level is your town hall? I don't think we're accepting anyone under TH7, but the leaders may make an exception.

Redid my war base.

Ife73YF.jpg

Thoughts?

I like that the CC is unlurable without significant troop drops, and my clan always donates a 3* dragon or 5* wizards to everyone for war, so troops that come in get mowed down fast. The giant bombs also take out lots of hogs leaving central defensive island untouched.

I would re-think your trap placements.

Set the big bombs next to the defenses and spring traps right in front of the big bombs since you can predict that giants/hogs will be going right for the first defense they see.

Booties

Banned
I would re-think your trap placements.

Set the big bombs next to the defenses and spring traps right in front of the big bombs since you can predict that giants/hogs will be going right for the first defense they see.

Yeah, I would just put a WT near each bomb. Don't even need to redesign.

What? How?

Not sure why they matched us up with them, they had no Town Hall 10s and we have 7.

Also, not one of their bases had any troops in their clan castles. So it was just a Hog/Giant fest.

We got off to our patented Loot Nation head start and they must have just said, "fuck it."

They used their attacks sniping dark elixir from the collectors of the top guys on our team LOL.

There's no official GAF clan, but me and Victory Red are in a clan together. What level is your town hall? I don't think we're accepting anyone under TH7, but the leaders may make an exception.

Eh. I'll wait.

I am hunkered down at level 5 right now, but I am like to have everything, including walls, upgraded before advancing to the next level so it will be a while.

LordOfChaos

This happened.

We've had matches somewhat like that where the other clan seems like they never even show up to the fight, but it's been like 100-14 rather than 2, that's the lowest I've seen.

My favorite matches are when both sides get into the 100+ range and scrap for the last few stars.

You've been upgrading your troops, right? That's important. And don't be afraid to keep hitting Next until you find a base you know you can take.

Yeah, I am fully upgraded.

I guess I need to strategize more before attacking. I rebuilt my forces and 100% them the second time.

I almost never attack, but it was my first clan war, so I felt like trying it out.

LordOfChaos

Yeah, I am fully upgraded.

I guess I need to strategize more before attacking. I rebuilt my forces and 100% them the second time.

I almost never attack, but it was my first clan war, so I felt like trying it out.

Are you just talking about clan wars, or in general? Clan wars is a different beast. ALways lure their clan troops first, I like killing them with lightning spells. And what army composition are you using? Goblins, archers, and barbs are ok for general looting, but too weak for serious war players. I just keep 10 to lure things. The rest is giants, healers, wizards, and dragons.

Are you just talking about clan wars, or in general? Clan wars is a different beast. ALways lure their clan troops first, I like killing them with lightning spells. And what army composition are you using? Goblins, archers, and barbs are ok for general looting, but too weak for serious war players. I just keep 10 to lure things. The rest is giants, healers, wizards, and dragons.

I am still fairly low level, but I did pretty much exactly what you described with my second attack.

I am still fairly low level, but I did pretty much exactly what you described with my second attack.

Settle on a strategy and find a base that is vulnerable to your strategy.

What town hall are you and are you fighting?

The Giant/Healer strategy will work very well against any Town Hall 7 or below and early TH8s or TH8s with bad air defense placement.

Giant/Heal Spells, Hogs, or Dragons are 3 strategies that work very very well against Town Hall 8s.

Settle on a strategy and find a base that is vulnerable to your strategy.

What town hall are you and are you fighting?

The Giant/Healer strategy will work very well against any Town Hall 7 or below and early TH8s or TH8s with bad air defense placement.

Giant/Heal Spells, Hogs, or Dragons are 3 strategies that work very very well against Town Hall 8s.

Right now I am just perched at lvl 5. I am a completionist, and I probably won't upgrade until I have every wall and structure maxed. Which may be sometime today.

Right now I am just perched at lvl 5. I am a completionist, and I probably won't upgrade until I have every wall and structure maxed. Which may be sometime today.

Nothing wrong with that, take your time.

Get the Healer troop ASAP. Then you can run Giant/Healer strategy for a very long time, just gotta make sure you take out the single air defense first.

Top Bottom