• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski says he has given up looking for Microsoft to act as a consultant for Gears

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Actually Miku, since you don't know me IRL, i definitely would if the opportunity presented itself, i wouldn't go out of my own way obviously to say " HEY YOUR GAEMZ SUCKED BRO LOLOLOLOL" in public, but, in a conversation , holding beer/drink in hand i'd most definitely mention the social media thing if the discussion gravitated towards that, or, if he (or whoever else) starting touting his own horn sitting next to me, i just deal with these kind of people my way, i sure burned some bridges in my life by being honest but, in the end, i was always fine with myself.

Anyway, this isn't about me, it's about a person that - his online persona at least - is provoking, trolly and just plain egotistical, that's what we're discussing here 'cause that's what he's shown us, maybe he's a great dude IRL but, again, we're here discussing his online persona and the products he's made.
Sure I don't know you, fair enough. And he is definitely a known troll, so maybe that is part of it. But I do think people enjoy destroying people these days just because they can. I see the same thing with Jaffe on here where he comments on here just trying to talk about a gaming topic and people just call him a washed up loser and just trash him, which is kind of insane to me. Guy helped create God of War and Twisted Metal. Cliff helped create Gears. I just don't get the complete and total lack of acknowledgement when you see how influential that game still is today. Anyway, I'm just repeating myself. I already made my point, people don't agree.

Tsaki

Bro get out of your ass, no one gives a fuck about you. Like what is his deal? He acts like he's John Carmack or something

Can't stand this guy, what kind of consulting could he offer? They need to change up the gameplay loop and give us an interesting character to play as, that won't happen if the next game is a sequel to the last one. I know he had nothing to do with it but the series hasn't done anything new gameplay wise since the original trilogy. They need faster gameplay, enemies that aren't bullet sponges, bigger battles and honestly to me it needs to feel more like a war. I'd be fine if they just scrapped the Barista in battle armor story, she was a terribly written character anyway and just did a reboot.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Sorry, can't relate

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends
I can, I'm the annoying ex.

While his most recent efforts have been ass, there's no denying that Gears was a better franchise with him at the helm.

It's completely lost its identity now.

Cliffy would at least bring it back to the hyper-masculine, dudebro shooter that it originally was (and that's a good thing); as well as build an antagonist faction that was visually consistent and just fucking cool in terms of design like the locust (the new enemies are fucking awful, lack any originality and have ruined the franchise).

He's like the Dane Cook of the video game world.

I don't necessarily mean that as a cut down. Handsome, charismatic, was at the top for a bit and is now irrelevant. These things happen.
Handsome?
While his most recent efforts have been ass, there's no denying that Gears was a better franchise with him at the helm.

It's completely lost its identity now.

Cliffy would at least bring it back to the hyper-masculine, dudebro shooter that it originally was (and that's a good thing); as well as build an antagonist faction that was visually consistent and just fucking cool in terms of design like the locust (the new enemies are fucking awful, lack any originality and have ruined the franchise).
First one is showing its age now, 2 and 3 are still great though. 4 was decent and 5 I think was The Coalition toying with some new ideas while staying true to the series. It needs a overhaul and I hope that's what the Coalition have been doing for the last 4 years.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Handsome?

First one is showing its age now, 2 and 3 are still great though. 4 was decent and 5 I think was The Coalition toying with some new ideas while staying true to the series. It needs a overhaul and I hope that's what the Coalition have been doing for the last 4 years.
First one still has the best "meaty" fun feel, though (remains my fav). I wasn't a big 5 fan (especially after all the updates), but 4 was at least similar to one in that "feel". 3 was aight and 2 was slow.

Last edited:
I really respect Cliffy for his great work in the old days. Unreal and the first three Gears games were awesome. But we live in a very different time now. Creator economy, service games, solo indie devs making billion dollar franchises.
No one needs design consulting, i guess.

Last edited:
The coalition threw out that gears bromance. cliffyb probably wouldn't be compatible with the current dev team because of it. Plus the game is likely too far into its development cycle to legitimately take input for significant changes. Gears died when they made 5 that game felt too barebones.

Let's hope so.

I dislike many of the design decisions of The Coalition. I don't think they understand the franchise. Despite the latest iterations of the franchise being mediocre to decent, I still think the franchise lost its identity under their direction.

Edder1

Let it go Cliff, Microsoft has, they are happy with Gears being a feminine melodrama and that's why they even removed "War" from the title. You can say they chose to let go of you and fell off the Cliff.

Last edited:
The dribblings of a burn out lol.

Man crashed and burned without EPIC.

Post some pedo shit online and of course no one wants to work with you again. Phil ain’t touching you with a 20 foot pole bud.

Get a hold of the creator of that Epstein Island game maybe you can consult him on the sequel.

LMyAMYl.jpg

Dear me what a mutated turd

I kind of liked him too

Nydius

Cliffy would at least bring it back to the hyper-masculine, dudebro shooter that it originally was
You sure about that?

Remember, it was Cliff who bragged about his diverse and not-overtly-sexy character models and gender neutral bathrooms he put in Lawbreakers. In 2020 even admitted that he pushed his personal politics and that was likely a reason why the game failed.

Also never forget the meltdowns and temper tantrums he had when Lawbreakers failed and people were asking for refunds, including his snapping at people on Twitter saying he was never going to make another game.

The guy had chops in the past but he’s exposed that he really didn’t understand what he was doing anymore with his Boss Key flops, and then acted like a toxic douchebag. More than his game failures, his behavior is most likely why no one has asked him to come back to the industry.

Halo atleast has fresh gameplay gears is stuck in 2005 unfortunately
Up until Gears 4 the series is still one of the most competitive games you can play today. A lot of people are unaware of what it's like to play high level Gears matches. I've played high level WoW arenas, CS, Halo ect. but Gears is the most satisfying out of the bunch. Also, they have the most skilled players you will ever come across with the controller stick.

The Coalition has to figure out how to push that competitive scene to the public, it's literally a diamond in the rough out here that's waiting to become popular in gaming amongst comp gamers.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Post some pedo shit online and of course no one wants to work with you again. Phil ain’t touching you with a 20 foot pole bud.

Get a hold of the creator of that Epstein Island game maybe you can consult him on the sequel.

LMyAMYl.jpg
James Gunn is doing just fine no?

Wonder how people even find this stuff? 2000? Damn, the internet was the Wild West back then.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Consultation for Gears of War lmfao.

I can do the same job Cliffy. You need to have a cinematic play out as our heroes enter a room with glowing ammo pick ups and knee high walls.

Barakov

Gold Member
Cliff Bleszinski, known for creating the iconic Gears of War franchise, ended up not having much luck in the games industry after leaving Epic Games, deciding to retire. However, the former developer has shown interest several times in the past in returning to the franchise to act as a consultant.

After several attempts to contact Microsoft to help with the project, Cliff says he never received a response. Because of this, he feels it's time to move on and leave Gears as part of his past:

At least someone at MS is smart not enough to not fuck one of the good things they got going.

SHA

Idgas but gaming compared to other tech fields is bad karma, hate to say it but I grew seeing games devs as role models and then realized they're worse than other tech fields, talented devs skills should be used elsewhere, anything but games, it's a form of art, art is dicy, bad luck ... etc.

Killer8

LMyAMYl.jpg

The only people anyone should be calling is the police.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
His vision would probably be on the other side of the universe if the same people who did 4 & 5 are also working on 6.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sure I don't know you, fair enough. And he is definitely a known troll, so maybe that is part of it. But I do think people enjoy destroying people these days just because they can. I see the same thing with Jaffe on here where he comments on here just trying to talk about a gaming topic and people just call him a washed up loser and just trash him, which is kind of insane to me. Guy helped create God of War and Twisted Metal. Cliff helped create Gears. I just don't get the complete and total lack of acknowledgement when you see how influential that game still is today. Anyway, I'm just repeating myself. I already made my point, people don't agree.
I would say Cliff's shitty attitude and trying all to be "edgy" is the reason why people trash on him....I remember when Lawbreakers was coming out, he was shitting on Overwatch in order promote his own game......Why?

Why would any creators need to shit on other people's work in order promote their own work?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I would say Cliff's shitty attitude and trying all "edgy" is there reason people trash on him....I remember when Lawbreakers was coming out, he was shitting on Overwatch in order promote his own game......Why?

Why would any creators need to shit people's work in order promote their own work?
Because gaming is an industry with lots of loose cannon kinds of employees where most lack being professional. Just look at the typical video gamer Twitter profiles acting weird, badmouthing bosses, badmouthing the company, grilling competing games. Compared to the tons more people working at banks, energy companies, or your local ISP/telcom company. Nestle has about 300,000 employees globally. I wouldnt be surprised one bit if a game company with 1,000 employees said more dumb stuff on social media than the 300,000.

It's weird because on one hand you can understand why celebs and athletes amp up on social media and trying to promote themselves since there's big money on the line and despite working for companies it kinds of a materialistic/every man for himself kind of job where you're popular and have a job one day raking in big bucks and then a nobody for the next 10 years as no team wants you or a has-been in Hollywood.

Gaming employees are really no different than your typical office guy sitting in front of a PC Mon-Fri doing emails, work, and eating lunch in the cafeteria or going out for burgers. But they seem to have a heightened sense of thinking they are a celeb because they work in media. But not true for all media people. I'm sure there's tons of people working behind the scenes at ESPN compiling replay clips, putting up stat screens, researching bios and stats, coming up with clever stories and skits and simply executing the daily shows. You got a full production team of visual, audio and writers doing it multiple times per day! But you dont really see that kind of attitude from that kind of media crew.

Ansphn

LMyAMYl.jpg
What in the world

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I know all about Killswitch, and I actually played it at the time. It had the idea for blind fire, but everything about that game sucks. I still think Gears pioneered a lot with the quality of its presentation and the total package. It literally feels like the top cinematic shooters of today. Things have barely changed. I don't really care how he acts in his personal life since I don't care for canceling people. I just look at the games he put out. People today get off on tearing down people, just like they do with Jaffe on here. None of you would say this to his face, and just spew hate towards him because its easy.
If I knew him, I'd actually give the same advice I've given to some ex-colleagues I know. Dont bother applying. I've tried helping old coworkers get jobs at my company. Some it worked out, got hired and I got a referral bonus! Other people applied and either got shut down immediately or got an interview and didnt make the cut. I've even helped some of these people a second time when a another job pops up they notice and want me to help them. If the second time fails, I tell them on the third try dont bother. And yes, some old co-workers have asked me 3 separate times about 3 different job postings. it gets to a point to just stop. If the hiring manager avoided you the first two times even after I forwarded him your resume and perhaps you even got an interview out of it and got shot down, they arent going to hire you on the third job application no matter how many good words i put in for ya.

Last edited:

digdug2

This would be like George Lucas wanting to return to Star Wars because he doesn't like how things are going. You sold it off, so your opinion means literally nothing Cliffy B.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I prefer the original three, but the guy saying this sounds very much needy for some attention

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Idgas but gaming compared to other tech fields is bad karma, hate to say it but I grew seeing games devs as role models and then realized they're worse than other tech fields, talented devs skills should be used elsewhere, anything but games, it's a form of art, art is dicy, bad luck ... etc.
R.318ee8affd1b001bc40a78fb85c03316

SHA

Skeptical people, they don't acknowledge achievements, you shouldn't take them seriously.

Top Bottom