• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski says he has given up looking for Microsoft to act as a consultant for Gears

T-0800

The dribblings of a burn out lol.

Man crashed and burned without EPIC.

Post some pedo shit online and of course no one wants to work with you again. Phil ain’t touching you with a 20 foot pole bud.

Get a hold of the creator of that Epstein Island game maybe you can consult him on the sequel.

LMyAMYl.jpg
Cringe No GIF

AJUMP23

Gold Member
He made some cool games but he doesn’t matter anymore. He could go and make more games if he wanted to. But after he flamed out with boss key I don’t know anyone that would fund him. I wonder if Tim Sweeney would hire him back at epic.

Del_X

Didn’t he tell Xbox fans to fuck off by explicitly citing the fact he didn’t like them as a reason not to release lawbreakers on Xbox? And now he wants daddy Phil’s money?

He may be rich-adjacent but he’s still a 5’8” simp.

Puscifer

Post some pedo shit online and of course no one wants to work with you again. Phil ain’t touching you with a 20 foot pole bud.

Get a hold of the creator of that Epstein Island game maybe you can consult him on the sequel.

LMyAMYl.jpg
LMFAO no way that's real

Nydius

I will give the guy credit for Unreal Tournament and the OG Gears Trilogy but why would anyone want to hire him now? His last two projects were massive failures that showed he didn't really understand the business anymore, and the last one (Radical Heights) was such an egregious cash grab that it left a sour taste in everyone's mouth. Then he made a very public show of telling the whole world he was retiring from the games industry -- the equivalent of walking out the door with two middle fingers in the air saying "fuck you losers, look at all my money!".

He pops up from time to time to pretend to be relevant or try to stir the pot over his failed projects (coughLAWBREAKERScough).

Why would anyone want him to consult on shit?

wondermega

Lots of dogpiling going on in here. Although the tweet isn't undeserving of getting a little abuse I suppose. Anyway to Cliff, or any other has-been designer - and I don't say that as a condemnation at all - if you wanna get back in the game? Just like anyone else, get back to work! Yeah he is clearly past the point of "here's my face, it is me, so give me unlimited funds since my grill will print money" but that doesn't mean he still hasn't got the necessary chops. It's likely not how his ego would be pleased to do it, but it sounds like all that is stopping him from making more games.. is himself.

FeralEcho

One thing I will always respect about Cliff is when he is passionate about saying something,regardless if it's stupid or not he'll say it and stick by it,which is a rarity in this industry nowadays,no corporate bullshit yellow card 101 apology letter type that's clearly written by the marketing team for the devs...

That I can respect,but he does come off a bit desperate here though...

chlorate

In the days of UT2k4 and Gears 1, if you had told me that post-Cliffy Epic would be a bigger, more ambitious brand than Cliffy-era Epic, I’d have been shocked.

Kikorin

He made the best Gears, but at this point the series is basically dead. Coalition killed it with lack of any ambition and the worst cast ever seen for a sequel/reboot.

Is like if someone tried to make a relevant Terminator movie using a female cast after the ones with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Gojiira

The mans ego is hilariously out of proportion…Who the fuck is interested in his memoir? He’s not this creative genius he imagines himself to be. Hot take,most of the standout titles in his career can be attributed to the other people he worked with,why? Because look at how shockingly shit his output was solo lol.
Anyway yeah he isnt Miyamoto,Kojima,Mikami,Houser etc who the fuck WANTS his goddamn memoir of the DSP of game dev 😂

Cliff was Gears. I can only imagine what it's like to be a creative and watch your amazing, beautiful creation become disfigured beyond recognition. Never sell your life's work. The money they give you isn't worth it.

FingerBang

You people complain a ton about REeee but then do the absolute same just because you don't like this guy. He did leave his mark in the industry, regardless of how much he writes about loving eating his wife's ass.

Don't sanitize all the pervs/nazi/retards that make the edgy games you loved growing up and act you're better than them while having nothing to show.

Mooreberg

I will always remember him more for Unreal Tournament and catscan. He had an interesting .plan file in the late 90s.

This situation seems weird because he delivered a fairly conclusive "fuck this shit" after Lawbreakers came and went. He didn't seem to express any interest in pursuing AAA game development again.

As for Gears, it seems like they have spent the past ten years post-Judgment not learning the lesson Santa Monica Studio did after God of War Ascension. Time to revamp the formula or do something new. I played through Gears 5 in coop and it was ok, but I had a few extra years between Gears games since I own but have not played Gears 4.

Halo at least made a major attempt at shaking up the formula. A lot of the side missions (FOBs, Banished HVTs, and Banished outposts) were fun. Too bad the campaign was a narratively disconnected mess with... wait for it... severely repetive indoor locations another terrible gondola ride.

As for Cliffy, that post that keeps getting quoted isn't a good look. Maybe he'd be happier staying out of AAA game development.

StueyDuck

Although gears needs a massive shakeup, cliffy has been out of the game for a while now and his prior attempts from breaking mainstream didn't go to well (lawbreakers while was fun to play, was poorly thought out at the time it released)

He clearly wants his Cory Barlog moment, God of War moment.

Personally I feel to truly shake up gears and I've said this before you go full survival horror. Use the world and it's aesthetic as a gameplay advantage, there's plenty to explore there in a fun way rather than, mediocre character who has magic bug mom, is sad and not yet the women she was destined to be.

Last edited:
Why would you leave, then beg to come back years later, then post your failure?

That would have been a huge low point for me. I definitely wouldn’t have made it public.

Oh for fuck sake, a standup comic? And that shit about god and him being an Atheist at the end was great. Couldn't sound more fucking mental if he wanted to.

shaddam

Feels like he want to use his fanboys to pressure MS to hire him for some laidback consultant job. His gender neutral toilet shooter failed hard years ago.

I love the original Gears Trilogy and hope MS release a remastered/remake trilogy, but man the ego on this Cliff guy. 'Hey look at me mom! Look what I can do. No hands!'

I saw this tweet over the weekend and was confused by it. Seems like he's not pleased with his Restaurant business if he's still posting this kind of shit.

This is almost like those bad breakups but in the form of a job.

SCB3

LMyAMYl.jpg
I forgot about about this

So whos checking his Hard Drives? And does he watch Nickelodeon regulary?

Kerotan

As much as cliffy is a cuck, i actually agree with him, not only is it good publicity but he could atleast give the franchise its bromance back, something the new games have been lacking though i did enjoy hive dlc
Bromance? You'll get a tale of 2 lesbian's and you'll enjoy it!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He made the best Gears
I just replayed part 1 and it really is sad how little respect he seems to get around here. Game design really hasn't evolved that much past what he did as game design lead on part 1. That game innovated most of the stylistic things people still think are cutting edge today. Walk and talk segments instead of cutscenes. Cinematic camera. Emphasis on realistic dialogue between companions during the action. TPS with cover, melee and blind fire. Every gun controls and feels great. Solid art style. And while it is the origin of the cinematic shooter, the game still feels gamey as hell with an emphasis on action. People just like to shit on this guy because its easy.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
no one was asking for his consulting services.

I thought he said he was retiring and going away after his latest gamine development failures.

Guess he can't quit us (gaming).
Dunno, from the wording he's using, it seems more likely that there is plenty of idiots hitting up him on DM's asking him about it. He's not talking because wants too as much as people are annoying him too much about it.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I just replayed part 1 and it really is sad how little respect he seems to get around here. Game design really hasn't evolved that much past what he did as game design lead on part 1. That game innovated most of the stylistic things people still think are cutting edge today. Walk and talk segments instead of cutscenes. Cinematic camera. Emphasis on realistic dialogue between companions during the action. TPS with cover, melee and blind fire. Every gun controls and feels great. Solid art style. And while it is the origin of the cinematic shooter, the game still feels gamey as hell with an emphasis on action. People just like to shit on this guy because its easy.

Or maybe, because he's been a "one hit wonder®" creating some of the kitschiest, true 'Murrican® games/franchises out there where you have big muscly men cutting enemies in half with a chainsaw while screaming "fuck yeah" (literally) while blood splatters on your screen.
Besides that, the game heavily borrowed from RE4 AND a little other game called Kill switch (PS2/GC/Xbox which i'm pretty sure you already know), meaning, nothing about Gears is really/truly original like many people claim to be, He LITERALLY straight-up lifted the gameplay mechanics from Kill Switch, added some of the most generic, ugly and 'Murrican art/aesthetics catered towards frat boys and called it a day.

Couple that with his extremely unlikeable/obnoxious attention-whore character/persona and surely you could understand why some people "hate" on him, i mean, just the "If they were smart, they'd enlist me for my input because, just from a PR standpoint alone it would gold" line is cringy as fuck - he may be right, BUT, tooting your own horn is not a good quality to have no matter how you cut it, guy is just so full of himself that's not even funny.

Regarding the "one hit wonder" thing again, well, it's exactly that, dude did what exactly ? His (only real) "legacy" will forever be...Gears of war, sure, he also helped with the Unreal games but...most if "his" other games have been both critical and commercial failures.

Dude's no Warren Spector, no John Carmack, no Fumito Ueda, and most definitely not Kojima, heck, he's not even Sam Lake level - at this point, even someone like Josef Fares is literally better than this dude since all of his work so far (Brothers ATOTS/A Way out/It takes two) has been more diverse, original, different and fun than Gears ever was.

Cliffy B or whichever name he goes by these days is not this "video game Messiah" but just a dude that got lucky, cashed in and then started throwing temper tantrums on social media - in fact, that's where he should stay since apparently is a good match for him.

It's like some of those old Rock-stars of yore where they're still clinging to the past and which they were never that good to be begin with, he's like the Bret Michaels and Stephen Pearcy of video games.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Or maybe, because he's been a "one hit wonder®" creating some of the kitschiest, true 'Murrican® games/franchises out there where you have big muscly men cutting enemies in half with a chainsaw while screaming "fuck yeah" (literally) while blood splatters on your screen.
Besides that, the game heavily borrowed from RE4 AND a little other game called Kill switch (PS2/GC/Xbox which i'm pretty sure you already know), meaning, nothing about Gears is really/truly original like many people claim to be, He LITERALLY straight-up lifted the gameplay mechanics from Kill Switch, added some of the most generic, ugly and 'Murrican art/aesthetics catered towards frat boys and called it a day.

Couple that with his extremely unlikeable/obnoxious attention-whore character/persona and surely you could understand why some people "hate" on him, i mean, just the "If they were smart, they'd enlist me for my input because, just from a PR standpoint alone it would gold" line is cringy as fuck - he may be right, BUT, tooting your own horn is not a good quality to have no matter how you cut it, guy is just so full of himself that's not even funny.

Regarding the "one hit wonder" thing again, well, it's exactly that, dude did what exactly ? His (only real) "legacy° will forever be...Gears of war, sure, he also helped with the Unreal games but...most if his othert games have been both critical and commercial failures.

Dude's no Warren Spector, no John Carmack, no Fumito Ueda, and most definitely not Kojima, heck, he's not even Sam Lake level - at this point, even someone like Josef Fares is literally better than this dude since all of his work so far (Brothers ATOTS/A Way out/It takes two) has been diverse, original, different and fun.

Cliffy B or whichever name he goes by these days is not this "video game Messiah" but just a dude that got lucky, cashed in and then started throwing temper tantrums on social media - in fact, that's where he should stay since apparently is a good match for him.

It's like some of those old Rock-stars of yore where they're still clinging to the past and which they were never that good to be begin with, he's like the Bret Michaels and Stephen Pearcy of video games.

I know all about Killswitch, and I actually played it at the time. It had the idea for blind fire, but everything about that game sucks. I still think Gears pioneered a lot with the quality of its presentation and the total package. It literally feels like the top cinematic shooters of today. Things have barely changed. I don't really care how he acts in his personal life since I don't care for canceling people. I just look at the games he put out. People today get off on tearing down people, just like they do with Jaffe on here. None of you would say this to his face, and just spew hate towards him because its easy.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's easy to dunk on creep pedos yeah.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I read his memoir. He had some shitty things happen to him. However, this reminds me of the guy I use to work with who left the field to make coffee. He was a good employee. Would they have called him to consult him? Probably not. When you move on, you have to realize there’s like 100+ people applying for the same position.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I know all about Killswitch, and I actually played it at the time. It had the idea for blind fire, but everything about that game sucks. I still think Gears pioneered a lot with the quality of its presentation and the total package. It literally feels like the top cinematic shooters of today. Things have barely changed. I don't really care how he acts in his personal life since I don't care for canceling people. I just look at the games he put out. People today get off on tearing down people, just like they do with Jaffe on here. None of you would say this to his face, and just spew hate towards him because its easy.

Actually Miku, since you don't know me IRL, i definitely would if the opportunity presented itself, i wouldn't go out of my own way obviously to say " HEY YOUR GAEMZ SUCKED BRO LOLOLOLOL" in public, but, in a conversation , holding beer/drink in hand i'd most definitely mention the social media thing if the discussion gravitated towards that, or, if he (or whoever else) starting touting his own horn sitting next to me, i just deal with these kind of people my way, i sure burned some bridges in my life by being honest but, in the end, i was always fine with myself.

Anyway, this isn't about me, it's about a person that - his online persona at least - is provoking, trolly and just plain egotistical, that's what we're discussing here 'cause that's what he's shown us, maybe he's a great dude IRL but, again, we're here discussing his online persona and the products he's made.

Top Bottom