• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B's new game is BlueStreak, a sci-fi f2p PC arena shooter with Nexon

marrec

Banned
Someone's cupboard was getting empty. When this bombs I guess he'll try and sell a sex tape or an industry insider tell all.

Nah, dudes got enough industry good will to have a couple bombs before people give up on him.

Besides, if nothing else he'll become a 'Consultant' preferably a 'F2P Consultant'.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I think UT2015 will win this one. You can't compete with hordes of people who make content and make money from that content. Well, we'll see, but I'm sceptic about this one.

F2P games have become very succesful over recent years, with veteran developers also adopting to this system. Multiple games have shown you don't have to go the P2W route either to be succesful.
CliffyB famous for UT, has said before that he'd like to return to the arena shooter genre on the PC.

Why then are people so surprised at this move and/or saying this is going to bomb/fail?

F2P
Multiplayer
Arena
Shooter

Most unoriginal, design-by-committee bullshit. Come on try something, you know, original, that nobody else is doing. This will just come out and thud and be forgotten.

F2P
Multiplayer
Arena
Shooter

Most unoriginal, design-by-committee bullshit. Come on try something, you know, original, that nobody else is doing. This will just come out and thud and be forgotten.

Arena shooters barely exist now in days,you act like if there is an abundance of them lol.

Dipz

Banned
This is all I'm thinking about
Blue_Chips_Movie_Poster.jpg

I hope it's a slam dunk.
Really, because I thought of this:

Blue_Streak_film_poster.jpg

Your Underestimating how much money game devs actually make. As well as how the game budget goes into it.

For example, there is no justifiable reason for games to be $60 and raised in other areas/countries, but not be $50. None. Zero. Game devs are gaming similar to the same revenue (in terms of employees).

One excuse for that is the amount of effort and budget for game. Some of these questionable "Expensive titles" Cost less for those B movie FMV games people used to make.

So how much do devs actually make?

BeerSnob

Nah, dudes got enough industry good will to have a couple bombs before people give up on him.

Besides, if nothing else he'll become a 'Consultant' preferably a 'F2P Consultant'.

But why go straight to exploitative crap? This couldn't possibly be a more transparent cashgrab. Why make something like this unless you absolutely had to? Maybe I just don't understand the mindset of people as obsessed with profit as Blezinski. The interview for the GAF documentary was illuminating, and rather sad.

So much salt.
Huh?

Orayn

I don't think it will fail immediately but I don't think Nexon is a good look for it.

Nexon are in the process of changing their look pretty dramatically, having signed this, Dirty Bomb, a new game from the developers of Sleeping Dogs, The Human Element from Robotoki, etc.

They're turning over a new leaf, and a very big one at that. Let's give them a chance.

But why go straight to exploitative crap? This couldn't possibly be a more transparent cashgrab. Why make something like this unless you absolutely had to? Maybe I just don't understand the mindset of people as obsessed with profit as Blezinski. The interview for the GAF documentary was illuminating, and rather sad.

How do you know if it's a cash grab if you haven't seen how the game is?

Nexon are in the process of changing their look pretty dramatically, having signed this, Dirty Bomb, a new game from the developers of Sleeping Dogs, The Human Element from Robotoki, etc.

They're turning over a new leaf, and a very big one at that. Let's give them a chance.

Sure, I am not outright saying the game will fail, its just the management of NexonNA does with games sometimes is questionable but, sure lets hope this is different.

I'm guessing that most of the paid unlocks will be cosmetic since he was all in on that strategy with Gears 3. Maybe some experience boosts or something else inconsequential.

Pretty stoked to see what this looks like. Cliff has yet to make a game that I don't like.

antitrop

Consider me interested. A F2P PC-only arena shooter excites me far more than another fucking Call of Duty or some bullshit.

Metal-Geo

I'd try it, and probably fail miserably like at PlanetSide. But I'd try it.

When I saw the name of his new company I had flashbacks of when games used to include a Boss Key (as in, key on your keyboard) which would throw up fake screens to make you look productive if someone comes around the corner. I thought it was a nice throwback reference and then I find out it's the other kind of key.

http://i.imgur.com/XXIRL5i.gif[/IG][/QUOTE]
So in a way... #BossKey #NoFunAllowed?

[spoiler]Get it? The boss key hides the fun? And I made a reference to a popular meme on this board and put a hashtag in front of it? Eh?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]spare me[/spoiler]

soultron

Banned

Huh?

We've seen nothing with regards the F2P model this game will use. I understand the guarded skepticism, but I think you're jumping the gun here.

kuYuri

So he's going to compete with the new Unreal Tournament from Epic?

Not sure if I feel good about that. Such an odd turn of events now that both of these projects exist.

komplanen

Considering it's Cliffy, Nexon and F2P I'm not very interested. However it's an arena style FPS for PC so that alone brings it back up to the level where I'll at least check out the gameplay video.

F2P
Multiplayer
Arena
Shooter

Spoken like someone who thinks the only type of "Arena" Shooter is a clone of Modern Warfare.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Why do we hate Nexon?

I mean, I played Vindictus and that was okay.

F2P + shooter doesn't mean anything bad either. I enjoyed Planetside and Blacklight, at least.

I don't even really like CliffyB, but I don't get the reaction to this one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
based Cliffy.

Consider the future possibilities.

REDMOND, W.A. --(BUSINESS WIRE)--Microsft (MSFT), a worldwide leader in console video games, today announced that its wholly owned subsidiary 343 Industries (343) has announced plans to create Halo 5: Guardians with Frank O'Connor, the videogame designer affectionately called “Based Frankie” and "Stinkles" by legions of fans.

I will give it a try, need more arena shooters, but F2P and Nexon ...

Do Nexon use any wanky ass launchers for their games ?

Nexon is the king of wacky ass launchers, however I haven't played Vindictus in a year and they could have changed how that or maplestory launches.

Saty

Still trying to get my head around all the posts about it being F2P and calling it a 'bandwagon'. Yep, Arena Shooters are dime a dozen nowadays. F2P is a business model, so get over it.

Maybe i should post 'What, another 60$ game?' in the traditionally-priced newly announced games.

Raven77

Well if the industry is truly moving to a F2P structure, and that structure remains one that is largely based around getting as much money from the player as possible while releasing games with missing features and content on purpose...

Count me out.

Still trying to get my head around all the posts about it being F2P and calling it a 'bandwagon'. Yep, Arena Shooters are dime a dozen nowadays. F2P is a business model, so get over it.

Maybe i should post 'What, another 60$ game?' in the traditionally-priced newly announced games.

The difference is that you know that you're getting a complete game (most of the time) for $60. The developer cannot do anything after you've paid your $60 in most cases to try and get more cash out of you to complete your experience. Sure, some games do day-of-release DLC but usually it is inconsequential things.

Well if the industry is truly moving to a F2P structure, and that structure remains one that is largely based around getting as much money from the player as possible while releasing games with missing features and content on purpose...

Count me out.

Not necessarily true. Games like Dota 2 get it right.

Orayn

Count me out.

Yeah, let's not give anyone a chance to do a better job or anything. Let's just take a big dump on something we know nothing about to show everyone how cynical and cool we are.

You did it. You are the best gamer.

CamHostage

...fragmenting a game, and offering things that we USED to earn via hard work in-game for real cash... EVEN COSMETIC... is bullshit.

Right? I just don't understand why things have changed in gaming since 1987. Reagan should do something about this!

...Or, not right. Your hard work in a video game is worth about as much as your hard work on a toilet. (Possibly less so, depending on how much waste management gets out of recycling contracts versus how much WoW gold farming yields.) Game makers like that you play their games, but unless they've got the free time and passion to do it for nothing, money has got to come back to them somehow. We can argue over whether they're being greedy over TOO much money, but the insistence that hats and trinkets and secret missions used to sometimes be unlockable and now sometimes are instead sold (which, BTW, are you really feeling a lack of included content in your current games?) has no bearing in the current game market. Gaming has changed and evolved for better or worse in a myriad of ways since it started, and what matters now is the reality of the moment.

zhorkat

Where are all these arena shooters that have come out that I'm somehow missing.

Raven77

Yeah, let's not give anyone a chance to do a better job or anything. Let's just take a big dump on something we know nothing about to show everyone how cynical and cool we are.

You did it. You are the best gamer.

Notice I said "if it remains one largely based around getting as much money from players"

I didn't say "all F2P is bad and can NEVER be a good model."

Top Bottom