• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD needs a new setting. I have the answer…

If it wasn't obvious enough already, they've run out of ideas, and their creativity has run dry, as they retread their days of the past.

The high points of Call of Duty are behind us now. And like other great games before them, a slow fading has begun.

Last edited:
OP play this:

capsule_616x353.jpg

Then come back and tell the thread what you thought.

TrebleShot

I’d love to see them
Go back in time further like battlefield did.

WW1

Or even go back to Henry the 8th days or something like that but truth is they are so far into COD HQ now and everything they won’t bother.

Their biggest title is COD mobile.

Although with MS in charge they may spin it out which is what I’d love to see a big campaign based game every couple of years and COD Hq being their live service mp hub that is ongoing and has bundles etc with each new campaign.

Dazraell

Modern day law enforcement. Just think about the tone of MW 2019, the tension of clearing a house, and apply that officers clearing a house.

Opportunity for a fresh and fun campaign and a chance to press the reset button on MP.

Thoughts?

Call of Duty: Modern Law Enforcement

Or make a new franchise all together

I’m thinking MS must have liked what Activision has planned for the future because to me, CODs days are numbered. How many times can the same formula be reskinned and sold as new? Surely there’s some new ips coming. Right???

/rant
Man, I would love a new SWAT game instead of this

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure that future of CoD will be sticking to Black Ops and Modern Warfare brands until they will figure out the next subseries that will offer them similar numbers as these two. Not really sure it will happen soon unless something will change under Microsoft

I was one of those that absolutley loved everything about Infinite Warefare. Everyone was bitching about space but to me the franchise was slowly but surely moving in to the future. It was a natural progression, once they started going backwards everything went to shit. They should of stuck to their guns and one day ended up in far future. Looking at the state of HALO and similar space shooters, COD would of eaten them all alive. Instead we got boring WW2 return with the most boring story, buggy Cold War, woke Vanguard and now even Modern Warefare 3 they couldnt manage to not fuck up.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Battlefield Hardline already showed that this would be a terrible idea.

If you want an actual cop game then what you want is Ready or Not (and if you don't mind older games then SWAT 3 and SWAT 4 as well). A game like this has to be more tactical and slow-paced where the main objective is to save hostages, subdue the bad guys, and follow procedure. It shouldn't be about 360 no-scoping every bad guy and teabagging their corpses.

SJRB

Gold Member
No big studio or publisher is going to burn their hands on that minefield (again).

How would you even begin to make this game without upsetting like half the internet?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
ZZnwvHl.jpg

COD's two hour campaign needs loads of where is Charles Lee comments
i want a cod campaign where 1 shot kills on any spot, but it takes a minute to reload a musket. Give us melee gameplay, bayonets, and guerilla warfare. I want a total changeup and remake of the entire formula. We've had modern guns going shooty bang bang for 20 years now

StueyDuck

Modern day law enforcement. Just think about the tone of MW 2019, the tension of clearing a house, and apply that officers clearing a house.

Opportunity for a fresh and fun campaign and a chance to press the reset button on MP.

Thoughts?

Call of Duty: Modern Law Enforcement

Or make a new franchise all together

I’m thinking MS must have liked what Activision has planned for the future because to me, CODs days are numbered. How many times can the same formula be reskinned and sold as new? Surely there’s some new ips coming. Right???

/rant
Resetera would literally assault and brutalize devs and kidnap their children for... resetera things, if they did that.

I wouldn't mind a modern Popo game though, sort of like the getaway or something like that.

In terms of CoD, i feel the franchise has gone far too hard into the lone soldier die-hard category and has lost it's military roots, not saying it was a milsim but what made the OG MW so memorable was being in a huge military operation with all the spectacle and being a nameless solider who ends up eating the shit end of a nuke.

Personally i'd like to see them really do something either completely left field like a conflict that the US wasn't a part of at all or something that has more alternate history vibes or alternate universe vibes, think of spec ops the line Version of the UAE for example, i'd also like to see the Vietnamese war covered properly by cod and not just random black ops missions but that war is too ugly to pull off without proper writers.

Last edited:

Hugare

michael jordan laughing GIF

I'm sure that it would go well, OP

I would have more fun reading the outrage online than playing the game

If you want an actual tense experience clearing out buildings. Buy Ready or Not. It's the spiritual successor to Swat 4 and it's fucking fantastic.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They could clear out my basement in the next game. It leads to a magic portal where they are taken to a candy land, where they are attacked by magical creatures with edible weapons. After narrowly escaping, they are transported to a frozen wasteland base infested with big foot like creatures. Once again miraculously surviving, they find another portal to what appears to be a space base infected by demons.

Once done clearing the base, they are transported back to earth, this time faced with an invasion of transforming robots!
Once barely done surviving the onslaught of human killing robots, another portal is found and this time they find themselves in my little pony, turned into cartoons, and every horse is armed to the teeth. Will they survive? Will pinky pie survive? What is this madness?

Last edited:

fatmarco

I just want a good modern Vietnam War game. The sections in Black Ops Cold War were great imo.

Or even a good Black Ops game set during the 90s.

You could jump around so many varied conflicts. Gulf War, Rwanda, Somalia, Yugoslavia (Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo etc.), Sierra Leone, Various fall of Soviet union conflicts, Chechnya, Congo and so on. The closest we've got to a game about the Yugoslavian Civil War was Resident Evil 6 lmao.

SteadyEvo

If it wasn't obvious enough already, they've run out of ideas, and their creativity has run dry, as they retread their days of the past.

The high points of Call of Duty are behind us now. And like other great games before them, a slow fading has begun.
I’ve felt like this for a while. Which made me wonder why MS invested so much acquiring them. Unless they feel good about what’s coming down the line. For COD alone it just doesn’t make sense to me. But what do I know? I’m just a guy on the internet 🛜

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Call of Duty: Eternal Warfare

40k setting where the intro puts you in the shoes of a Cadian Lieutenant on the cusp of victory before Failbaddon decided to take his ball and go home. You have to reach the evac shuttle as the planet is breaking up under your feet. You see the light of lasguns firing as you evacuate, because the planet broke before the fucking Guard.

Now you do whatever the hell you want as a campaign that takes place before Guilliman is resurrected. Have the final mission be a suicide mission to protect the astropath hub that sings of Lord Primarch Guilliman's return.

obhsYyq.jpg

Have you been paying attention at all the last few years? Cops aren’t exactly popular.
Only to idiots propagandized by mass media, buying into a handful of cases to think it's thousands.

We just got Robocop (play it if you haven't) and that had cops. Eurogamer pusses had a conniption.

Best setting in my opinion would be late 80s/early 90s. Has all the classic, recognizable weaponry and tech without all of the over-the-top attachments and such of recent years.

Thankfully, the rumors have been saying that Treyarch's next game (2024) will be set during the Gulf War.

That would be awesome but how are you going to do that with weed covered gun barrels and twerking manaj and other "influencers" smugging up the screenspace? My favorite cod was cod2, cod4, mw2(og), waw, ww2, so of course I would be cool with a gulf war, korean, vietnam, any real setting.

I love the advanced war setting too ,and would be cool with space, but and this a big one.... not with the current day bs. If it looks like fortnite I am out.

I do agree that the current COD leaves something to be desired regarding inspiration. The franchise has become formulaic and is at risk of stagnating.

When it comes to potential ideas for a new direction. I'm not too concerned as you can make anything work.. historic, modern, futuristic. What I would like to see are key updates to the engine itself. A major push into physics for example would be interesting...
  • Fully destructible objects and environments - advanced and improved over BC2
  • Advanced dynamic animation system - perhaps integrating AI
  • Positional audio (using RT)
  • True evolving battlefield - the place should look completely different after each engagement
  • Weather system to help keep maps fresh i.e. storm, sunny, snow, rain etc.
  • Cool new multiplayer modes - perhaps one where you can only be respawned if a teammate can carry your unconscious body to safety
  • Perhaps some maps based upon realistic locations depending on the setting
  • How about a shooting styles system for extra experience in matches, kinda like showboating
There is so much more that they could do.

Last edited:
Call of Duty makes so much money that it is inadvertently creating it's own downfall. They need to miss a year or two and have an epic 10 hour campaign and dozens of new maps and modes but they won't. They simply can't miss a year because that could literally mean taken a billion less that quarter.

Valt7786

I do agree that the current COD leaves something to be desired regarding inspiration. The franchise has become formulaic and is at risk of stagnating.

When it comes to potential ideas for a new direction. I'm not too concerned as you can make anything work.. historic, modern, futuristic. What I would like to see are key updates to the engine itself. A major push into physics for example would be interesting...
  • True evolving battlefield - the place should look completely different after each engagement
  • Cool new multiplayer modes - perhaps one where you can only be respawned if a teammate can carry your unconscious body to safety
  • How about a shooting styles system for extra experience in matches, kinda like showboating

Thing is, whenever they do try any kind of those elements all the vocal minority sweatlords have a tantrum about "balance". They couldn't handle the fucking shootable bits of wall in Vanguard or people being able to hear their footsteps in the last 3 games because they might have to stop sprinting for 10 seconds. I'd love a CoD with any of those elements implemented, anything to shake it up a bit. Especially the destrucible environments, that needs to happen for sure.
But devs are afraid to 'cause some Faze clan cunt will cry about it and thus so will all his baby followers and then they might not buy the next Nicki Minaj skin-shit.
Fucking CoD community sucks.

Zathalus

Only thing I can think of is Vietnam maybe? Or perhaps the Gulf War.

Could also be a good time to look into a future setting again, but perhaps ground it a bit more in realism and where potential military hardware will actually evolve.

SteadyEvo

Destructible MP maps would be crazy. That would go along way in keeping it fresh. I’m thinking Matrix lobby scene 🤯 online. A well done office map with debris flying everywhere with every shot.

Better death animations and getting time to kill right

SteadyEvo

Call of Duty makes so much money that it is inadvertently creating its own downfall. They need to miss a year or two and have an epic 10 hour campaign and dozens of new maps and modes but they won't. They simply can't miss a year because that could literally mean taken a billion less that quarter.
They could take a year or two off and offer a map pack that releases in waves. Similar to Mario kart 8 expansion. People would eat that up and if they maps are good the campaign won’t be missed too bad and they can still get paid. 🤷‍♂️

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Ladies and Gentleman I give you COD. The best fishing game out there.

b1e6d853-1630-4fbf-86f4-8a6c723abd98.jpg

c7c5a7bf-3a58-461d-bd3b-18a0cd47b50d.jpg

Pre-order now and get the season 1 Castpass including a carbon fibre rod and 6 Lures.

I'd play that - the images look so peaceful :) Oh, here's the more dramatic cover:

UT99GQq.jpg

Last edited:

flying_sq

I could see something like 2042, where it is post MW story line and 141 didn't save the world and it goes survival open world. Would give them a place to go and probably some wild campaigns between here and there

Beechos

I would love a new tradional rainbow 6 game or a new swat game.

Wheres ubisoft with the rainbow 6 Vegas remake. With call of duty and bf fans not happy itll be perfecting timing for someone to steal a chunk of their playerbase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom