• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. That style of drawing is so visually uninteresting.

wSA7n.jpg

Hang on, my monitor just exploded, so I'm typing blind.

(I'd assume you're lumping Breitweiser in there, so I picked him.)

Cherry picking pages, yes you can make it look exciting.

This on the other hand - Zzzzzz. . .

64GFo.jpg

Yes, it's talking heads and that's hard to make visually engaging. That's where the artist's style is important for me. Everybody looks the same on this page. It's technically very well drawn, leagues above what 95% of Udung staffers are capable of ever crapping out (if only we could hide all of Udung's Photoshop computers so that plebes could see the feeble illustration under that veneer of digital painting); but it doesn't make for comics I want to buy.

It just tells me Mitchy here is trying to build himself an Alex Toth suit Buffalo Bill style.

"Would you draw Zorro like me? I'd draw Zorro like me. I'd draw Zorro like me hard."

Chris Samnee does these things right. Technically well drawn. Visually engaging. Win!

Hero

That Uncanny Avengers cover is terrible. Between this and yesterday's appalling new Marvel vs Capcom Origins artwork, what I wouldnt give for more Marvel covers and art by the Capcom peeps of old (Bengus/CRMK or Shinkiro, and co):
032.jpg

tumblr_m1d3yb56Ua1qfyj8po1_500.jpg

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too much terrible art in and on the front of cape books these days.

I agree with you. I would totally be back into comics if they were illustrated like this.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
TTOB: regard this bullsh*t from Whilce Portacio, another from the Liefeld school of shitting on a page:
Definitely what forced me to go back and have a retrospective about all the awesome art Bengus/CRMK did for the series. And how weirder still it was that Shinkiro's covers for the most recent games kept getting passed up for western penned horrors.

Comic panels have certainly got exponentially larger over the years and more boring rectangle/rectangle/rectangle layouts with so many artists shifts to "still frames from a movie" style of illustrating all these cape crusades, which is ironic when the prices keep going up and up and up and pages comin in it feels fewer.

I pointed this out in another thread, but deadlines and stuff are obviously a factor, because artists I once loved, like Salvador Larroca's once bright, kinetic style is now reduced to these boring 4 panel per page talking heads. Him coming back to Fantastic Four is going to provide plenty of examples where a lot of comic art has been going wrong when comparing his initial run and new go around.

Recent comics like Scarlet Spider have had a good feeling for me because their artists have been focussing on conveying the action and well.

Did I dream reading something about Marvel and a new initiative amongst artists for their covers? Because its sorely needed.

TTOB: regard this bullsh*t from Whilce Portacio, another from the Liefeld school of shitting on a page:

Definitely what forced me to go back and have a retrospective about all the awesome art Bengus/CRMK did for the series. And how weirder still it was that Shinkiro's covers for the most recent games kept getting passed up for western penned horrors.

Comic panels have certainly got exponentially larger over the years and more boring rectangle/rectangle/rectangle layouts with so many artists shifts to "still frames from a movie" style of illustrating all these cape crusades, which is ironic when the prices keep going up and up and up and pages comin in it feels fewer.

I pointed this out in another thread, but deadlines and stuff are obviously a factor, because artists I once loved, like Salvador Larroca's once bright, kinetic style is now reduced to these boring 4 panel per page talking heads. Him coming back to Fantastic Four is going to provide plenty of examples where a lot of comic art has been going wrong when comparing his initial run and new go around.

Recent comics like Scarlet Spider have had a good feeling for me because their artists have been focussing on conveying the action and well.

Did I dream reading something about Marvel and a new initiative amongst artists for their covers? Because its sorely needed.

Hot damn.

Whilce phoned that in.

Portacio used to be pretty good at drawing comics (X-Factor, Uncanny), but then he lapsed into a diabetic coma and when he recovered drawing was alien to him. Kudos to him training himself to draw after that terrible event, but he hasn't been the same since artistically. :(

I'm wondering if Marvel trying to skew more toward boring real world proper illustration is another corrupting influence of Hollywood. Make the funnies look more like the movies. Because I need pug faced Jeremy Renner characters in my comics. :|

Ryan Stegman is a great new cartoonist. Unfortunately he's been working on shit I don't care about after She-Hulks. So bummed out he ended up on Scarshit Spider. :(

Owzers

Ultimate X-Men #13: I don't know if Brian Wood can dig this book out of the whole Spencer put it in, but it was a decent effort of taking a step back and moving on. I stopped pre-ordering after issue 14 though, so unless it shows continued improvement i think i'll be down to Ultimates for that universe.

Owzers

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/june-2012-comic-book-sales-charts-analysis.html

June Comics Sales-Age.

I'm shocked that Before Watchmen isn't at the very top, maybe that's because i didn't buy it, but i always assumed that i didn't count. Turns out i do.

AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #6
$3.99
MAR

AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #5
$3.99
MAR

BATMAN #10
$3.99
DC

JUSTICE LEAGUE #10
$3.99
DC

BEFORE WATCHMEN: MINUTEMEN #1 (MR)
$3.99
DC

BEFORE WATCHMEN: COMEDIAN #1 (MR)
$3.99
DC

BEFORE WATCHMEN: SILK SPECTRE #1 (MR)
$3.99
DC

BEFORE WATCHMEN: NITE OWL #1 (MR)
$3.99
DC

SPIDER-MEN #1
$3.99
MAR

AVX VS #3
$3.99
MAR

DC/Marvel were about tied this month, i assumed DC would come out ahead by a lot more. Also Ann Nocenti taking over Catwoman at issue #0...i might check out #13.

Nesotenso

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/june-2012-comic-book-sales-charts-analysis.html

June Comics Sales-Age.

I'm shocked that Before Watchmen isn't at the very top, maybe that's because i didn't buy it, but i always assumed that i didn't count. Turns out i do.

AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #6
$3.99
MAR

AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #5
$3.99
MAR

BATMAN #10
$3.99
DC

JUSTICE LEAGUE #10
$3.99
DC

BEFORE WATCHMEN: MINUTEMEN #1 (MR)
$3.99
DC

BEFORE WATCHMEN: COMEDIAN #1 (MR)
$3.99
DC

BEFORE WATCHMEN: SILK SPECTRE #1 (MR)
$3.99
DC

BEFORE WATCHMEN: NITE OWL #1 (MR)
$3.99
DC

SPIDER-MEN #1
$3.99
MAR

AVX VS #3
$3.99
MAR

DC/Marvel were about tied this month, i assumed DC would come out ahead by a lot more.

Maybe all the negative online publicity didn't help. Still Internet audience really don't affect retailer orders and I thought orders in stores would be through the roof.

Owzers

Maybe all the negative online publicity didn't help. Still Internet audience really son't retailer orders and I thought orders in stores would be through the roof.

Justice League #10 probably did around 130kish judging by last month's sales, i would have presumed Before Watchmen stuff would do 150k+. Maybe the trades will do well, or maybe the fact that it's all just random prequel minis will hurt trades sales too.

Comic fans on the internet are very vocal about being sick and damn tired of event books.

Comic fans on the internet are very vocal about the terrible quality of recent event books.

Comic fans on the internet are very vocal about their outrage over maligned creators and corporate greed.

And then seven event books show up in the top ten.

In other news, water is still shockingly wet!

Thai

Bane was better.
I'm not sure if you really need to get the Absolute Edition of Final Crisis, it seems like you're dropping a good amount of coin on all this anyways, you may just wanna get the regular hardcover or just the trade paperback. But hey, it's your money

the key to absolute final crisis is that it has all the morrisson written parts of that event (supermand beyond, submit, 2 batman issues). i'll probably skip the absolute and wait for a cheaper edition, but I do want all those books in one collection. there'll probably be some deluxe edition in a year or so...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Comic fans on the internet are very vocal about being sick and damn tired of event books.

Comic fans on the internet are very vocal about the terrible quality of recent event books.

Comic fans on the internet are very vocal about their outrage over maligned creators and corporate greed.

And then seven event books show up in the top ten.

In other news, water is still shockingly wet!

Just look at all the people hate-reading AvX.

the key to absolute final crisis is that it has all the morrisson written parts of that event (supermand beyond, submit, 2 batman issues). i'll probably skip the absolute and wait for a cheaper edition, but I do want all those books in one collection. there'll probably be some deluxe edition in a year or so...

the hardcover has superman beyond and submit, the other 2 batman issues can be found in the other bat books collecting morrison's run

i think

ElNarez

Banned
DC/Marvel were about tied this month, i assumed DC would come out ahead by a lot more. Also Ann Nocenti taking over Catwoman at issue #0...i might check out #13.

With Marvel in full event mode? Nah son. They will keep being on top of the money share mountain with double-shipped $3.99 books. Numbers will be interesting to watch, especially with AvX still on the rise somehow.

With Marvel in full event mode? Nah son. They will keep being on top of the money share mountain with double-shipped $3.99 books. Numbers will be interesting to watch, especially with AvX still on the rise somehow.

I think the Marvel Now anNOWncement (!!!) will lift sales even more. Peoples be curious. I even read Flashpoint just to get a sense of what New 52 might be like.

kswiston

last two issues have been great and Coipel is tons better than Romita Jnr. I am getting worried that this all ends with
Cyclops sacrificing himself

Some sort of Cyclops exists in those Marvel Now! teaser images. Maybe it is just teen Cyclops, but I doubt he dies.

Cherry picking pages, yes you can make it look exciting.

This on the other hand - Zzzzzz. . .

64GFo.jpg

Yes, it's talking heads and that's hard to make visually engaging. That's where the artist's style is important for me. Everybody looks the same on this page. It's technically very well drawn, leagues above what 95% of Udung staffers are capable of ever crapping out (if only we could hide all of Udung's Photoshop computers so that plebes could see the feeble illustration under that veneer of digital painting); but it doesn't make for comics I want to buy.

It just tells me Mitchy here is trying to build himself an Alex Toth suit Buffalo Bill style.

"Would you draw Zorro like me? I'd draw Zorro like me. I'd draw Zorro like me hard."

Chris Samnee does these things right. Technically well drawn. Visually engaging. Win!

I definitely see where you're coming from and obviously respect your opinion. Also I just noticed your Post Subject. omg I humbly bow to the king.

ElNarez

Banned
Between Gambit and Carnage, Marvel appears to be quite dedicated to pushing characters I hate.

Next The Falcon will get an on-going and I'll snap my neck from shaking my head too hard.

Dude. Zeb Wells' Carnage miniseries have absolutely redeemed Carnage. Both of them. One involves symbiote infested zoo animals. Just sayin'.

Owzers

Just look at all the people hate-reading AvX.

You have to eat your vegetables before you get Remender/Cassaday Uncanny Avengers dessert. I don't have event fatigue, i like the idea of events, but they do tend to disappoint

Talk a lot, try to steal/capture/protect Hope. Bad non-fights that sell you on other books with actual fights. She runs away. Talk a lot, try to find Hope. Find Hope, Hope leaves. Talk about getting Hope back. Bad non-fights, try to get hope back, Hope leaves with Scarlet Witch.
It's a horribly paced book with a lack of substance, trying to stall to fill 12 issues, maybe since you have to pay 5 writers, i dunno.

Basically :(

You have to eat your vegetables before you get Remender/Cassady Uncanny Avengers dessert. I don't have event fatigue, i like the idea of events, but they do tend to disappoint

Talk a lot, try to steal/capture/protect Hope. Bad non-fights that sell you on other books with actual fights. She runs away. Talk a lot, try to find Hope. Find Hope, Hope leaves. Talk about getting Hope back. Bad non-fights, try to get hope back, Hope leaves with Scarlet Witch.
It's a horribly paced book with a lack of substance, trying to stall to fill 12 issues, maybe since you have to pay 5 writers, i dunno.

Basically :(

That's why the previous issue was the best so far, I think. Lots of great ideas, things happening, wholly contained in that issue.

The latest one, though, had Copiel drawing the best Tony Stark ever, so there's that.

Between Gambit and Carnage, Marvel appears to be quite dedicated to pushing characters I hate.

Next The Falcon will get an on-going and I'll snap my neck from shaking my head too hard.

I await the constant screaming of 90s! like last year.

Or perhaps people have grown by now?

ReiGun

Dude. Zeb Wells' Carnage miniseries have absolutely redeemed Carnage. Both of them. One involves symbiote infested zoo animals. Just sayin'.

People keep saying that. I'm gonna have to read these things. They'd have to be pretty damn amazing to redeem that piece of shit Venom re-color.

I await the constant screaming of 90s! like last year.

Or perhaps people have grown by now?

You know they haven't. :p

Owzers

just got the first BRPD Plague of Marvels HC :O It will be read....eventually.

Ultimate Spidey #11: Hey i didn't hate it! But i'm not going to keep buying it now that 11 was my last pre-ordered issue. It would be good if it were a free webcomic.

Tizoc

Would you read it if Christopher Priest wrote it?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

I remain adamant that Carnage as a concept can really work as long as you get him a good writer. Would love to see Scott Snyder's take on the character.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Man, I'm really enjoying X-Factor. I'm around 40 chapters in. Multiple Man is now one of my favorite Mutants and I was surprised how much I liked his character in this, including the others, as I always thought of them as b-list mutants in X-men.

Thanks for the recommendation Spike.

sca2511

Finally! Cross-posting from the pick-up thread.

2iO2Sl.jpg

Spines
ql4F9l.jpg

stnspl.jpg

Batwoman Vol. 1 & Wonder Woman Vol. 1 got lost in shipping, thanks OnTrac.

Hey guys, I own a very rare Hulk comic book from 2002 and I'm wondering if it will be okay to post it page by page. It's not very long but what it lacks in length it makes up for in writing and action.

o2avg.jpg

YES, BITCHES! YES!

toKqm.jpg

Woodwork
Wallace Wood (w & a & c)

Wally Wood is one of the most celebrated comic artists of all time. His legendary career runs from the glory days of EC Comics’ extraordinary line of science fiction titles to the brilliantly subversive Mad Comics (and, later, Mad Magazine). He produced extraordinary illustrations for magazines like Galaxy after EC folded, and worked on the some of the most fondly remembered stories published by Marvel Comics in the mid 1960s. He also co-created the Thunder Agents and was a pioneer in self-publishing. This massive tome is the American edition of a museum catalogue that accompanied a gigantic career retrospective on display in De Palma, Spain in 2010, the largest such exhibit ever devoted to this incredible artist.
HC • FC • $59.99 • 352 pages • 9.5” x 11.5” • ISBN 978-1-61377-292-8

Come on IDW, give me Sally Forth next. Then Canon, which I already own; but will buy again in hardcover. :3

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Finally! Cross-posting from the pick-up thread.

2iO2Sl.jpg

Did you have to pay a fortune for Amazing Spider-Man: Omnibus Vol 1? I've kept an eye on it and it's always been a massive amount.

Owzers

I don't quite understand what Woodwork book is, is it an art book or does it collect the full stories as well? It's 47% off at Amazon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom