• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

I mean, of course not. They're villains worshipping the return of ancient demons from a lost dimension in the promise for eternal life and order.

The only reason Marvel is falling back to there is because it's technically correct and they're trying to protect themselves from the charges of anti-semitism. I'm still surprised they didn't see the implications.
I don't know why they're trying to "protect themselves". Hydra are the clear cut back and white villains here, they aren't​ trying to co-sign Nazism by having them as the villains, if they're pussing out mostly cause of Cap then they shouldn't have used him in the first place.

I'd be having all the heroes calling Cap a Nazi fuck for the shit he's pulling.

caliph95

I don't know why they're trying to "protect themselves". Hydra are the clear cut back and white villains here, they aren't​ trying to co-sign Nazism by having them as the villains, if they're pussing out mostly cause of Cap then they shouldn't have used him in the first place.

They are probably being way too defensive because people were accusing of being antisemitic and insulting his creators, nazi sympathisers and all that. Though i agree with you especially in the comic they are Hydra Nazis

Cth

The good news out of all of this, is hopefully this takes Hydra off the table for a good long time.

Most boring organization ever. Especially since as stand-ins for Nazis, taking away the Nazi stuff, makes them a generic Cobra-like army.

Folks have focused heavily on Marvel being anti-Semitic, because 1) evil Cap is a part of Hydra, which they view as a purely Nazi organization and 2) Cap was created by Jewish creators to punch Nazis.

Bad look.

dan2026

Folks have focused heavily on Marvel being anti-Semitic, because 1) evil Cap is a part of Hydra, which they view as a purely Nazi organization and 2) Cap was created by Jewish creators to punch Nazis.

Bad look.

It isn't a bad story idea for Captain America per se.
But with America the way it is now the whole thing feels very poorly timed and tone deaf.

It doesn't help that the boss of Marvel is apparently a big Trump supporter. Ugh.

Soule responded to me on twitter and said Tenfingers was "rad as shit"

Then he double downed on it

That was so funny, I love that he embraced it. A man who will burn the house down around himself and revel in it.

God Damn it, Shutter is so good, I loved v 2. Can't really add significantly to what I wrote about vol 1 yesterday, but I just love it. Vol 2 keeps everything going strong, goes deeper and more expansive with it's ideas and is confident enough to change the storytelling style on a whim. It's a proper comic book in that regard, with cool effective moments like the strip opening to issue 8. There's some really good character beats too, leading to a great ending. Great stuff. I really want to grab v 3 and 4 now but with vol 5 not out til October, I should really pace myself.

It isn't a bad story idea for Captain America per se.
But with America the way it is now the whole thing feels very poorly timed and tone deaf.

It doesn't help that the boss of Marvel is apparently a big Trump supporter. Ugh.
But Steve Cap was happening a full year before Trump was inaugurated. It wasn't the tone deaf book people say it is until Trump was actually inaugurated.

I still think it's a good premise. Steve was still very much Steve, but his methods were more brutal and conniving and he felt that people should be subjugated in order to achieve peace through order rather than freedom and liberty. It wasn't necessarily a Nazi system. He wasn't prejudiced. He didn't express any sort of racism or use of a scapegoat of any sort. He wanted to kill Red Skull, in fact the only real Nazi in power. Hydra was a different organization. And now Secret Empire comes along and it's all a clusterfuck. I haven't read the #0 yet, though.

What is Tenfingers and why would you drop comics because of it? I just started Curse Words and it's pretty great.

I'm only teasing. Curse Words is one of my favorite books

Tenfingers is the horrible villain from the first arc of Daredevil, who Soule thought was cool but literally nobody else did. Thankfully
Soule took it like a champ and brutally murdered him

Sandfox

People are sleeping on Daredevil because of the meh start. Book is good.

But Steve Cap was happening a full year before Trump was inaugurated. It wasn't the tone deaf book people say it is until Trump was actually inaugurated.

Spencer pitched the story back in February 2015.

People are sleeping on Daredevil because of the meh start. Book is good.

I'll read it eventually, just dragging my heels. My only small gripe is I'm not a big Garney fan although I think the style he's employing on Daredevil works for his art. I really liked the previews of the issues Matteo Buffagni did, wish he'd stuck around.

I still think it's a good premise. Steve was still very much Steve, but his methods were more brutal and conniving and he felt that people should be subjugated in order to achieve peace through order rather than freedom and liberty. It wasn't necessarily a Nazi system. He wasn't prejudiced. He didn't express any sort of racism or use of a scapegoat of any sort. He wanted to kill Red Skull, in fact the only real Nazi in power. Hydra was a different organization. And now Secret Empire comes along and it's all a clusterfuck. I haven't read the #0 yet, though.

It's a combination of knee-jerk reactions from MU fans, people reacting negatively due to the current political climate, and Spencer engaging with his credits online.

Marvel had six months after Trump's election to see what a mess this would be and didn't. They could have easily wrapped up this storyline in the Captain America books instead of having it take over the entire MU for three months.

I'm only teasing. Curse Words is one of my favorite books

Tenfingers is the horrible villain from the first arc of Daredevil, who Soule thought was cool but literally nobody else did. Thankfully
Soule took it like a champ and brutally murdered him

Man, I haven't read Daredevil at all since the Waid run.

Sandfox

Marvel had six months after Trump's election to see what a mess this would be and didn't. They could have easily wrapped up this storyline in the Captain America books instead of having it take over the entire MU for three months.
While they can change things if they feel it's needed, I don't think it would be that easy. What you're suggesting would probably be difficult to pull off.

C-IXmYYXUAE867o.jpg:large

shingi70

Banned
Superman #21 was that
the comedian looking at Jon?
. Also I'm loving how often we see Damien and Jon hangout just being kids.

Vic_Viper

Are there any noteworthy panels today at C2E2? Has Image had any this weekend? Haven't seen anything from them talked about.

Bleedingcool has a ton of spoilers for upcoming DC stuff and the reveal at the end of Marvel's FCBD. The Superman stuff sounds awesome!

Malyse

I can't believe that Fox didn't announce an x-23 movie. Like, why?

Actually I can believe it. Marvel Studios should scoop up Dafne.

Top Bottom