• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Is Fables good? I liked the telltale game trailer. Its a bit daunting at 18ish volumes.

How about East of West? Can someone give me a general idea of what it's about.

It's cool and don't be daunted - you read them one volume at a time and you stop when you're not interested any more. No obligation to buy the whole thing.

Isak_Borg

I rarely spend time in the Community pages here, so this is my first time posting in this OT, but I'll be moving out of the US for work and was curious if there are any like..nuances to going digital I should be aware of? I'm picking up the new Nexus 7 soon, but I'm really oblivious to the whole Comixology thing since I've essentially lived in and/or worked at a comic book store my entire life until recently. Are there any other programs I should look into (if I wanted to read older comics, for example), or would just that one about cover me?

Comixology should have you covered for current stuff and back issues. We add a decent amount of backlist titles every week at 1.99 and have constant sales on older material. There are also regular price drops on new releases 30 days out if you want to wait.

Speaking of comic-y stuff we do at home, my girl Dani helped me put together this vlog in which I spout off about the comics I read this past week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcdaP67u7jk

Not bad. I personally tend to be hit or miss on these sort of things; the one I tend to enjoy most is by a YouTubeer called "Jaiiwin" I believe. But even without the interest in most of those titles (Save for a lolwut moment at the Josie and the Pussycats in Archie comment, that almost makes me want to go read an issue), I still enjoyed it. My only (constructive) criticism would be a little more descriptive about some of the points that you were more "you know?" about.

Owzers

Those who read comics on tablets, is a 7 inch screen too small? I read on a older gaf thread that 9 inches or so works great for comics.

I'm thinking about getting an android tablet solely to read comics on--maybe a nook hd+.

Thoughts?

Unless you only read comics with the panel-to-panel viewing mode, 7'' is small. Nook HD+ is nice, i ended up getting one since they dropped the price so low i could use it for travel and leave my ipad 3 at home. I'd say get the Nook HD+ or wait for the ipad mini 2 if it gets the retina screen, presuming you didn't want the ipad4/ipad 5. The cmx-hd comixology format is exclusive to ipad retina screens right now, which is nice, though not a dealbreaker if you want the cheaper nook hd+ which is the best comic reading value out there. Allegedly the android app is going to get the fit-to-width comixology viewing update that the ios version recently got. Nook HD+ also has a micro sd card slot which i will be using to load up my music collection, whereas ipad mini 2/ios has a muchhhhhhhhhhhh better app store especially where gaming is concerned.

Looks more like Dale Keown... a lot more.

That be the variant cover I was talking about. I hope I didnt give the impression that this right out of my wifes head to paper. She has never drawn Batman, let alone any super hero. This is quite possibly why she has never took her art seriously as she has a hard time taking something in her mind and putting it on paper. She is great at having a source picture and putting that on paper. She once took an old photo of a deceased family member that was a photo copy and barely any detail and made it look amazing and real on paper. Sorry if I gave you the idea that this was an original piece. I did say she was using a varient cover though earlier in thw thread.

I'm abit late but gat damn I enjoyed the latest Batman. I was iffy on the past few Year Zero issues as I thought they were average but this one made me really feel for Bruce.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Any old-school Batman fans about these parts? I know you all know your Claremont X-Men, but how about 70s/80s Batman? I've currently got the idea in my head that I want to shore up the gaps in my Bat-knowledge (I have no idea why, I think it was listening to Morrison last week). Can you folks think of any stand-out classic arcs or one-shots for the character. Pre-Knightfall especially, I think I've read everything post Knightfall (which is disturbing when I realise that's about 300 issues of Batman and Tec each, plus the majority of LOTDK. Maybe I need to give Shadow of the bat a go, my pre-Contagion knowledge of that title is a little weak.

If anyone's interested I'll post my findings as I dig. I've already found the issues with Pre-crisis Jason Todd - it's funny but I think he was around longer Pre-Crisis than post.

Those who read comics on tablets, is a 7 inch screen too small? I read on a older gaf thread that 9 inches or so works great for comics.

I'm thinking about getting an android tablet solely to read comics on--maybe a nook hd+.

Thoughts?

I just got a Nook HD+ and it is GLORIOUS for comics. Coming from a crappy, sub-€100 android tablet it is like night and day. I'm digital singles, physical trades all the way.

You got a good vibe, keep fighting the good fight.

Any of you brahs read Rachel Rising?

I've eyed Rachel Rising a couple of times. On this CBR forum thread, a number of people list it as one of the best books on their pull list that "nobody is reading"

Thank goodness for the CBR independent forums. It's one of the very few places I've found where there is a chance of finding people to talk with about indie/alternative titles I'm reading. Does anyone know of other places on the internet where such discussions might be had?

And thank you Rafa, for watching my video and offering encouragement. Thank you GrandHarrier, as well. I appreciate the feedback, critical or otherwise. I had fun making the video and I'm happy with the results, but I'm certainly looking to get better.

Owzers

I've eyed Rachel Rising a couple of times. On this CBR forum thread, a number of people list it as one of the best books on their pull list that "nobody is reading"

Thank goodness for the CBR independent forums. It's one of the very few places I've found where there is a chance of finding people to talk with about indie/alternative titles I'm reading. Does anyone know of other places on the internet where such discussions might be had?

And thank you Rafa, for watching my video and offering encouragement. Thank you GrandHarrier, as well. I appreciate the feedback, critical or otherwise. I had fun making the video and I'm happy with the results, but I'm certainly looking to get better.

what's your favorite title that isn't being talked about now?

kswiston

I want to read some Doctor Doom paperbacks, which ones do you recommend?

Just Doom by himself or stories featuring Doom?

I don't know how easy it is to find now, but the Unthinkable arc in Fantastic Four by Mark Waid is good.

Dr Doom and Dr Strange: Triumph and Torment is a classic. Doom and Strange invade hell to rescue the soul of Doom's mother. Mike Mignola was on art.

I never read it, but I heard decent things about Books of Doom by Brubaker.

John Byrne also did a lot with Doom in his Fantastic Four run, but that's pretty old by this point. If you are fine with the idiosyncrasies of 80s comics, it's definitely worth a read.

One can definitely see the enthusiasm you had. That sort of energy is a definite plus. Out of curiousity, has there been any recent good jumping on points for the Archie books? I don't think I've honestly read any of them in more than 15+ years. But I've been on a nostalgia kick recently (I went back and watched a few episodes of Jem and the Holograms. God those sort of campy 80s/90s cartoons are amazing. And I especially love crossovers like Batman/Scooby Doo, etc. So that Archie stuff sounds right up my alley.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
One can definitely see the enthusiasm you had. That sort of energy is a definite plus. Out of curiousity, has there been any recent good jumping on points for the Archie books? I don't think I've honestly read any of them in more than 15+ years. But I've been on a nostalgia kick recently (I went back and watched a few episodes of Jem and the Holograms. God those sort of campy 80s/90s cartoons are amazing. And I especially love crossovers like Batman/Scooby Doo, etc. So that Archie stuff sounds right up my alley.

Isn't that absurd Francavilla Zombie Archie comic dropping soon? The art looks fucking gorgeous.

what's your favorite title that isn't being talked about now?

That would probably be Mercy Sparx. They relaunched the series a couple of months ago and the next issue is solicited for October. I didn't read the first volume so the catching you up part of the book was a bit dense, but it's over soon and then it's just fun. Taking a quick look at the art, it might seem like just a sexy chicks fight sort of thing, but it's much more than that. I found it really fun, funny, interesting and refreshing and I loved the characters.

As for Archie, GrandHarrier, I'm not too sure. But Archie has been making a real push lately to reach a new audience by doing new and interesting things. There was (is?) a series called Life with Archie: The Married Life that tells what would happen if Archie married Betty and juxtaposes that with a parallel story of what would happen if he married Veronica. They've done crossovers, but i'm not sure how many they've done with other comic book characters. There's Archie Meets Glee and Archie Meets Kiss. A lot of people are stoked for the upcoming more mature themed Afterlife with Archie which deals with a zombie invasion of Riverdale. My personal favourite Archie stories were the ones when they were little kids. And anytime Midge, Moose or Ethel appear. Oh, and, Gem? Heh. Truly outrageous.

And yeah, Acid, Jhohen Vasquez is one of my favs. Lotta love for JTHM and Squee! I do plan to do more videos. I'm thinking weekly, and see how it goes.

Sooo what do we say to the new batch of Foerever evil spoiler/speculation?

Dick Grayson will not be killed, but Superwoman uses her lasso on him and makes him announce his identity to the public.
Somehow I don't feel this and there are enough ways to undo this in the DC universe already and
Bruce has more than enough money to set Richard up with a new civilian identity while Nightwinging around. And most of his friends do not exist anymore, he was already associated with Wayne and thus Batman Inc. - so this would seem rather lame. To Donna, Garth and Wally! The titans that never needed a civilian identity.

tim1138

Dick Grayson will not be killed, but Superwoman uses her lasso on him and makes him announce his identity to the public.
Somehow I don't feel this and there are enough ways to undo this in the DC universe already and
Bruce has more than enough money to set Richard up with a new civilian identity while Nightwinging around. And most of his friends do not exist anymore, he was already associated with Wayne and thus Batman Inc. - so this would seem rather lame. To Donna, Garth and Wally! The titans that never needed a civilian identity.

You don't even need Bruce to get involved when MMH can erase it from everyone's collective conscious

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Weak. That's really what's planned? Super weak.

kswiston

You don't even need Bruce to get involved when MMH can erase it from everyone's collective conscious

Isn't Dick's entire family dead? Why does he even need a civilian identity? Bruce is A) a billionaire, and B) Batman. It's not like he needs to work. Bruce could fund him being Nightwing 24/7

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't Dick's entire family dead? Why does he even need a civilian identity? Bruce is A) a billionaire, and B) Batman. It's not like he needs to work. Bruce could fund him being Nightwing 24/7

You could probably say this for a lot of characters, but it's hilarious how no one recognizes him with that flimsy domino mask.

tim1138

I think everyone associated with Dick from his Haley's days is dead--family and friends alike. The best possible outcome of this is Dick being outed as Nightwing and abandoning it to be Batman again.

Isak_Borg

Unless you only read comics with the panel-to-panel viewing mode, 7'' is small. Nook HD+ is nice, i ended up getting one since they dropped the price so low i could use it for travel and leave my ipad 3 at home. I'd say get the Nook HD+ or wait for the ipad mini 2 if it gets the retina screen, presuming you didn't want the ipad4/ipad 5. The cmx-hd comixology format is exclusive to ipad retina screens right now, which is nice, though not a dealbreaker if you want the cheaper nook hd+ which is the best comic reading value out there. Allegedly the android app is going to get the fit-to-width comixology viewing update that the ios version recently got. Nook HD+ also has a micro sd card slot which i will be using to load up my music collection, whereas ipad mini 2/ios has a muchhhhhhhhhhhh better app store especially where gaming is concerned.

I'll ask our android team about the hd app tomorrow.

Late with the list, as usual.

Marvel
Avengers #18
Avengers Assemble #18 (maybe; I like the way Kelly writes Jessica)
Daredevil #30
Indestructible Hulk #12
X-Factor #261
X-Men #4

Dark Horse
Conan the Barbarian #19

ReiGun

You want lists? Been had lists.

Batwoman #23 (this is so close to getting dropped)
Batman And Nightwing #23
Supergirl #23
Justice League Dark #23
Justice League Of America's Vibe #7
Superman Unchained #3
Wonder Woman #23
Avengers #18
X-Men #4

The 3D cover allocation is so out of hand. Looks like DCBS will have trouble fulfilling the big titles, but all little titles seem unaffected. So Im gonna have some decisions to make for my October books. The Marvel Knights titles are appealing except the one written by Joe Keatinge and Fantomex Max is cool. Thunderbolts, Iron Man and some others might have to go to make way for new Vertigo, Image and Letter 44. I keep waiting for Iron Man to pop but it doesnt look like it will happen.

/WRIST. All that matters this week.

3252137-legion.jpg

On permanent WHAT THE FUCK IS EVEN THE POINT watch.

kmfdmpig

I agree. 7 inch is too small unless you want to go landscape mode and scroll each page (a pain). 8-10 inch is the sweet spot, and it doesn't seem like it would matter, but lighter is so much nicer for comics. The Nook HD+ is much better than the 10 inch Touchpad, for example. Part of it is the nicer screen, but some of it is the weight.
Also, the Nook HD+ is the perfect aspect ratio for comics.

Nudull

Banned

Nice to see the Ghostbusters love in that thread. I did eye the first two trades of Rachel Rising at my LCS, the other day, but didn't have the money. I definitely want to read it, though. :)

You have a good personality for it. Better

Looking at that thread, its sad to see how low those series sell. Sixth Gun struggling at 4K. Suicide Risk struggling. The bar is low for a superstar... :(

Acid08

Banned
Trillium

LOVED it. Story is off to an interesting start and Lemire is doing some good work on the pencils. What I loved the most was the coloring though. The effect made it look hand painted and it was super gorgeous. I loved the water color-like blood trails in the
first big war flashback scene
. Way interested in learning more about
Nika and what's going on in her time

Trillium

LOVED it. Story is off to an interesting start and Lemire is doing some good work on the pencils. What I loved the most was the coloring though. The effect made it look hand painted and it was super gorgeous. I loved the water color-like blood trails in the

I believe that half of the comic actually was hand-painted with water colours.

Trillium

It was pretty wordy at points, so I didn't get to read it until the weekend after it came out, but I really did like it. That one is going on the pull.

If it makes it easier for you, Kot says that each issue will have a different artist.

I saw that, I just looked up some and it seems Mateus Santolouco and Morgan Jeske are doing #s 2 & 3 respectively. I haven't seen much of Jeske's work but Santolouco
is great from what i've seen. It's an ongoing so I'll just figure it out after #1 comes out

Just read The Dark Knight Returns and I dont think ill ever read a Batman story like this ever again. Overall I really enjoyed it. Book must have been a shock in 1986.

kswiston

Just read The Dark Knight Returns and I dont think ill ever read a Batman story like this ever again. Overall I really enjoyed it. Book must have been a shock in 1986.

1986 saw The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Maus, Daredevil: Born Again, X-Men: Mutant Massacre, and the John Byrne Superman relaunch. It was a pretty good year for comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom