• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using markers and colored pencils.

BSKuFFKIgAANgkB.jpg:large

I think everyone associated with Dick from his Haley's days is dead--family and friends alike. The best possible outcome of this is Dick being outed as Nightwing and abandoning it to be Batman again.

Did you just figure out who Batman is in Forever Evil? OH AND I SAID SOMETHING ABOUT THIS MONTHS AGO!!!!! Respect my drunk Journo friends.

Macam

Banned
So I've heard a lot about Image's Saga, but I have to ask, what are people's opinions on it?

I grew up on Marvel superhero books but have been looking for something more atypical and/or mature, and Saga seems like it may fit the bill, but the first issue has me feeling a little if-y. Is it definitely worth checking out? Any and all opinions are welcome, naturally.

So I've heard a lot about Image's Saga, but I have to ask, what are people's opinions on it?

I grew up on Marvel superhero books but have been looking for something more atypical and/or mature, and Saga seems like it may fit the bill, but the first issue has me feeling a little if-y. Is it definitely worth checking out? Any and all opinions are welcome, naturally.

I think Saga is a story that anyone, regardless of genre preference or background would love.

I realize GAF hates it, but Fables is great. There are clear peaks and valleys in the story, but the characters and story remain great years later.

I love Fables. That first 100 issue run is just spectacular. Just the imagination unveiling this world is off the charts-every issue there's a new little detail you learn that adds to the universe. In fact I think I'm going to re read it now.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
More stuffs:

* Fatale, Vol 3: West of Hell
* Mind MGMT, Vol 1
* Nightwing, Vol 2: Night of the Owls
* Prophet, Vol 2: Brothers
* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures, Vol 5

Now to finish up Scalped, Vol 2.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I finished the Court of Owls stuff. Pearl Jones is Batman's mom? Why doesn't he have vampire powers?
lol

I'll ask our android team about the hd app tomorrow.

Ah, you work for Comixology?
Lately I've just been buying from you to keep my conscience clear, but doing my actual reading through... uh... other means. HD is a big deal.

Lolwut.

Legion of Superheroes #23 spoilers:
The Legion is forcibly disbanded and we learn that the twist is that this is the Legion of Earth 2. Luornu / Triplicate Girl makes reference to Steppenwolf killing Superman. I'm really not sure how to feel about this. I mean, yeah, it kinda is the theme of the Legions reboots at this point, but how does this tie into the previous Legion run and Legion Lost. Was that the Legion Lost of Earth Prime or Earth 2? Well it can't be Earth 2 as they were in the Earth Prime world.
Feels like the best way Levitz could wrap up the current Legion and allow for whatever they want to happen in the future, Legion or otherwise.

Great art by Maguire.

Vibranium

Banned
I'll ask our android team about the hd app tomorrow.

Eric, if you work for Comixology, can you confirm if the idea of a "company branded tablet" has been thrown around? I know it'd take a lot of work and cost-cutting, but there's a lot of people like me who just want something like that purely for the medium so I don't have to go to the shop every week. I have no other need for a tablet other than reading.

It's probably an idea that will never happen, but if it was pulled off and marketed properly it could be somewhat feasible.

Wut da heyl at those Legion spoilers. I cant even comprehend that. Seems so last minute.

Levitz had the unenviable job of ending this current run of the Legion. How do you do that in a short span of time and leave your options open? DC could literally do whatever they want now. It's really bittersweet but there were some moments I appreciated.
Shadow Lass getting over her issues with Mon-El and taking his healing body back with her to her home. 'bout time.

Maybe this means they can introduce the good legion.

Three boot returns!

Nah son. Batman and Superman guest starring the Legion of Superheroes.

But on a serious note this is probably proof to the speculation that current DC doesn't like the Legion, specifically that it "ties their hands" about the future. The success of things like Batman Beyond / Justice League Beyond and their attempts to spin up Justice League 3000 in a similar vein suggest such. Maybe they are right? I don't know. I cant really blame them much for lack of trying. Just before New 52 they did a Secret Origins, a Star Trek crosssover, then went in with two series at New 52 launch. Should they have rebooted at the start? Put more recent hot writers instead of an old standby?

Despite the pessimistic near future I have a feeling it's not the last we've seen of them.

Lolwut.

Legion of Superheroes #23 spoilers:
The Legion is forcibly disbanded and we learn that the twist is that this is the Legion of Earth 2. Luornu / Triplicate Girl makes reference to Steppenwolf killing Superman. I'm really not sure how to feel about this. I mean, yeah, it kinda is the theme of the Legions reboots at this point, but how does this tie into the previous Legion run and Legion Lost. Was that the Legion Lost of Earth Prime or Earth 2? Well it can't be Earth 2 as they were in the Earth Prime world.
Feels like the best way Levitz could wrap up the current Legion and allow for whatever they want to happen in the future, Legion or otherwise.

Great art by Maguire.

But ...
they did reference the GLC after the new52 reboot etc.. Could be interesting
... nice twist anyway.

AND
Batman and Nightwing 23 - So many great beats. Best B&R issue since the wordless 18 and both Richard and Alfred shine. I kinda like the ideas presented in the book.
Had Dick recovered faster and Bruce made it down faster it would have worked out. They would have needed all three for all of them to get out of it. It hit's hard and works great. The only thing that hurt the book was the early characterisation of Dick, as he was casualy asking if the simulator is able to handle two players(!). Cruel, especially after the multiple references of Damien and him hoping to play a game before Robin died in other books.

JLD 23 - NOTHING happens. NOTHING AT ALL. The whole crossover could have been done in 3 issues. But nice art and a great Zatana. Slowly she recovers from the post reboot shock.

And why is GL:NG23 not up on comixology? I WANT KYLE! GIVE ME KYLE! *nerdrage*

Looking forward to read the Marvel books after work.

Levitz had the unenviable job of ending this current run of the Legion. How do you do that in a short span of time and leave your options open? DC could literally do whatever they want now. It's really bittersweet but there were some moments I appreciated.
Shadow Lass getting over her issues with Mon-El and taking his healing body back with her to her home. 'bout time.

At least it is a decent explanation for the Legion we saw in Action Comics.

But ...
they did reference the GLC after the new52 reboot etc.. Could be interesting
... nice twist anyway.

AND
Batman and Nightwing 23 - So many great beats. Best B&R Issue since the wordless 18 and both Richard and Alfred shine. I kinda like the idea presented.
Had Dick recovered faster and Bruce made it down faster it would have worked out. They would have needed all three for all of them to get out of it. It hit's hard and works great. THe only thing that hurt was Dick casualy asking if the simulator is able to handle two players(!). Especially after the multiple references of Damien and him hoping to play a game before Robin died in other books

JLD 23 - NOTHING Happens. NOTHING AT ALL. The whole crossover could have been done in 3 issues. But nice art and great Zatana. Slowly she recovers from the post reboot shock.

And why is GL:NG23 not up on comixology? I WANT KYLE! GIVE ME KYLE! *nerdrage*

Looking forward to read the Marvel books after work.

This was my first digital comic. I'll be double dipping but this was something I couldn't wait for.

The way they ended LOSH isn't elegant, but it really never has been, always having to react to changes in DCU continuity so there is no way to handwave away all plot holes. Although...

Legion Lost and LOSH #23 Spoilers
This does tie in interestingly with the "future" the Legion Lost saw when they temporarily returned to the future. A destroyed future. Was it "their" destroyed future? Or the future of Earth Prime, what would become the playground of this "JL3k" concept? Or just a world destroyed by Harvest? I doubt whatever it ends up being was planned by still fun to think about.

Now I wonder what f the Legion Lost will Ever be referenced or seen again or just swept under the rug.

Looking foreword to reading Batman and Nightwing from your praise. Tomasi still doing good work is great to hear.

Did you just figure out who Batman is in Forever Evil? OH AND I SAID SOMETHING ABOUT THIS MONTHS AGO!!!!! Respect my drunk Journo friends.

I don't think Batman in Forever Evil is going to be Dick. I still think it's going to be some one like Huge Strange, Thomas Wayne Jr, or Hush. Those guys all want to be Batman so badly, now's their chance. Personally I'm not into Grayson as Batman. He's evolved into his own hero in Nightwing. Having him take over the cowl feels like a step back for him as a character. I'm not saying his Batman was bad, it's just that his Batman is so different.

monome

I don't think Batman in Forever Evil is going to be Dick. I still think it's going to be some one like Huge Strange, Thomas Wayne Jr, or Hush. Those guys all want to be Batman so badly, now's their chance. Personally I'm not into Grayson as Batman. He's evolved into his own hero in Nightwing. Having him take over the cowl feels like a step back for him as a character. I'm not saying his Batman was bad, it's just that his Batman is so different.

Nightwing is corny. I hate Nightwing.
Dick Grayson is awesome. I love Dick Grayson.

I agree the Batman is universally known and loved. So making Dick Batman was just a reward to the character's longevity by Morrison.

IMO, he deserves a new personna.
but a major one. #gamechangerfordickgrayson. and not a cheesy 90's/new52 redesign/reboot

tim1138

After getting the Absolute edition of New Frontier from the library yesterday (figured one of my favorite stories was good fodder for the first Absolute I'd ever read) and rereading it for the umpteenth time, it has always amazed me how bad DC dropped the ball on following that up. I know Cooke did the one off story in the Solo series and I believe there was a comic tie in for the animated movie, but I always felt like that was a world they could revisit every couple of years and tell more stories in. I would have loved to have seen a couple other miniseries set in that universe.

monome

After getting the Absolute edition of New Frontier from the library yesterday (figured one of my favorite stories was good fodder for the first Absolute I'd ever read) and rereading it for the umpteenth time, it has always amazed me how bad DC dropped the ball on following that up. I know Cooke did the one off story in the Solo series and I believe there was a comic tie in for the animated movie, but I always felt like that was a world they could revisit every couple of years and tell more stories in. I would have loved to have seen a couple other miniseries set in that universe.

don't follow DC, follow Cooke.

Isak_Borg

Eric, if you work for Comixology, can you confirm if the idea of a "company branded tablet" has been thrown around? I know it'd take a lot of work and cost-cutting, but there's a lot of people like me who just want something like that purely for the medium so I don't have to go to the shop every week. I have no other need for a tablet other than reading.

It's probably an idea that will never happen, but if it was pulled off and marketed properly it could be somewhat feasible.

Not that I've heard of but who knows, doubt they would include me in those types of discussions. Small company with limited resources but you never know.

As far as an HD android APP, I'm sure we're working on it but again not sure if it's something I could talk about if we were but it has to be in the works ;).

Disclaimer: these are my views alone and not the companies. Anything I say here is my OP.

tim1138

JLDark/Trinity War spoilers:

Pretty sure in last month's thread I predicted that Pandora's box would
somehow act as a portal/doorway to other Earths. I fully expect the Outsider will use it to bring the rest of the Crime Syndicate to Earth Prime and transport the Earth Prime heroes to Earth-3 or just elsewhere in the Multiverse.

JLDark/Trinity War spoilers:

Pretty sure in last month's thread I predicted that Pandora's box would
somehow act as a portal/doorway to other Earths. I fully expect the Outsider will use it to bring the rest of the Crime Syndicate to Earth Prime and transport the Earth Prime heroes to Earth-3 or just elsewhere in the Multiverse.

Yeah, it was heavily hinted at. The opening of JL 22 even showed as much.
It opened with Supes, Bats and Diana in a destroyed cityscape. Most believe it is a post-Darkseid Earth 3 and the CS is out for another earth because theirs was destroyed.

The question why people get insane/mad when they touch it?
Is it because it is a direct link to earth 3 where good/bad are mixed up? Hopefullly it won't be that stupid

ReiGun

Wonder Woman:
Even if she's not the warrior for peace in the New 52, Diana being the goddess of war is still really interesting/ironic.
Almost bummed villains month is happening since I want to see where they take this new development, but Azz has said his VM issues continue the story and one of them even stars Cheetah. So hey, I'm on board.

kswiston

Trinity War question/spoilers:

I think someone might have mentioned this a couple threads ago, but is the Outsider Alfred from Earth 3?

Owzers

My gut reaction to Saga was that it was a lot weirder than i expected, not as immediately "this is amazing", but it ended up being a book i look forward to reading each new issue of.

I handed Saga vol. 1 to a friend who hadnt read a comic in years and she inhaled it within an hour.

Saga is incredibly well done and I like it a lot but I'm content to collect it in trades. Unlike most series I love, I don't need it now! Now! Now!

tim1138

Yeah, it was heavily hinted at. The opening of JL 22 even showed as much.
It opened with Supes, Bats and Diana in a destroyed cityscape. Most believe it is a post-Darkside Earth 3 and the CS is out for another earth because theirs was destroyed.

The question why people get insane/mad when they touch it?
Is it because it is a direct link to earth 3 where good/bad are mixed up? Hopefullly it won't be that stupid

To your second point:
I don't think so, I think it just brings out the worst aspects of those who handle it-Supes became overly protective, Diana acts like a power mad "goddess", Shazam basically turns into Black Adam. Whereas Constantine is just already corrupt and awful as it is, so it didn't effect him. I'm guessing the Sins are either beings from a different Earth or were just the worst aspects of Pandora herself and were able to take on physical form (which is why they call her mother). I imagine if you actually know how to use the box, you can avoid its side effects.

To your second point:
I don't think so, I think it just brings out the worst aspects of those who handle it-Supes became overly protective, Diana acts like a power mad "goddess", Shazam basically turns into Black Adam. Whereas Constantine is just already corrupt and awful as it is, so it didn't effect him. I'm guessing the Sins are either beings from a different Earth or were just the worst aspects of Pandora herself and were able to take on physical form (which is why they call her mother). I imagine if you actually know how to use the box, you can avoid its side effects.

Nice. I like this theory. Would be very neat if you are right.

Acid08

Banned
Friend of mine asked for comic recs for a long trip he's taking. Immediately recommended Chew and now he loves the series.

It is my comics goal to spread the gospel of Chew to all who are ignorant of its status as best comic book.

Owzers

I handed Saga vol. 1 to a friend who hadnt read a comic in years and she inhaled it within an hour.

Saga is incredibly well done and I like it a lot but I'm content to collect it in trades. Unlike most series I love, I don't need it now! Now! Now!

Mercy Sparx #0 was free on comixology, they don't have the new relaunch #1 yet though, but the other 5 previous issues for 99 cents each. It was okay, i liked the art style, reminds me a little of Frank Cho. Issue #0 was only 18 pages and most of it intro, so it was a little hard to judge just off that.

Friend of mine asked for comic recs for a long trip he's taking. Immediately recommended Chew and now he loves the series.

It is my comics goal to spread the gospel of Chew to all who are ignorant of its status as best comic book.
Amen to that.

Also, it seems Soule has transformed Thunderbolts into a really good book, it was a great issue.

Mercy Sparx #0 was free on comixology, they don't have the new relaunch #1 yet though, but the other 5 previous issues for 99 cents each. It was okay, i liked the art style, reminds me a little of Frank Cho. Issue #0 was only 18 pages and most of it intro, so it was a little hard to judge just off that.

Oooo, yeah I think #0 was a FCBD book. I'm glad you mentioned that its free on Comixology. I'll have to read it. (This is what I use Comicology for: previews and free issues)

Remember, your question was what the best book I'm reading that no one is talking about. Mercy Sparx is a good, fun, worthy read but I wouldn't name it the best book I'm reading overall. Still, I do encourage you to read the relaunched #1 (or the old issues, I guess, though I can't speak to those as I haven't read them) and decide for yourself. It's a pretty big issue, too, iirc.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Fuck, that last part of Batman & Nightwing killed me. Tomasi and Gleason are masters of teasing that painful cathartic moment out of the main characters on this book.

Owzers

UXF omnibus will be great, i purposely quit trying to buy used trades in favor of omnibus-hopes. That and Hickman Fantastic Four were all i really wanted in the omnibus format out of Marvel's recent runs, Daredevil and Hawkeye OHCs are a great addition to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom