• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Just read spoilers for this month's GL:New Guardians, boy it didn't take the new creative teams long at all to start dismantling the universe Johns created.

Just read spoilers for this month's GL:New Guardians, boy it didn't take the new creative teams long at all to start dismantling the universe Johns created.

I've been reading all of the GL titles and my level of fun with the new runs haven't diminished if that is any indication. In fact, they are much better than the Third Army arc ever had a chance of being.

I'm not quite sure if that is what happens.
It's not like Johns last few storylines were the beginning of this.
The dismanteling of the corps was something that was a major part of his storylines in the new52

At least Jordan shows that Kyle has many more tools than a GL and he even uses them accordingly. The nerfing of Kyle in the last few years was cruel, espcially as his part in each and every final fight was two or three panels during power blast duels of thousands of lanterns.
It's good to see him engage and fight an obvioulsy Boss level enemy for a change that was even introduced in his book. And that he does not have to bow to the great Halness.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Not sure how to feel about Daredevil #30 ending. Waid is still knocking it out of the park.

I'm slowly catching up with the oversized hardcovers. Waid is a beast. It's a shame some shit went down with DC and him.

New SEAGUY!!!

BSN36dbIAAA9IoA.jpg

Honestly, I thought he went a bit overboard adding so many corps to the universe. It would have been fine if they were just brought in for the event. But to make them all part of the new status quo? Reeks of cash-grab to me. Glad some of them are going.

Splatt

I'm slowly catching up with the oversized hardcovers. Waid is a beast. It's a shame some shit went down with DC and him.

He'll be back as soon as the Superman job is available.

Anyway, I feel that every time DD gets a chance at being happy, universe finds a way to screw it up for him : |

tim1138

Honestly, I thought he went a bit overboard adding so many corps to the universe. It would have been fine if they were just brought in for the event. But to make them all part of the new status quo? Reeks of cash-grab to me. Glad some of them are going.

Fair enough, to each their own.
I realize that (here at least) my unabashed love for Geoff Johns is far from the norm. He and Grant Morrison are basically what got me back into comics after a very long absence from the hobby.

Dysun

Fair enough, to each their own.
I realize that (here at least) my unabashed love for Geoff Johns is far from the norm. He and Grant Morrison are basically what got me back into comics after a very long absence from the hobby.
Are you my brother?

GL: Rebirth and New X-Men are the reason why I started reading comics (again)

kswiston

Grant Morrison's New X-Men got me back into comics, but I was only gone for ~2 years prior to that. I took another break after that run ended and came back for good around the time that Infinite Crisis was gearing up, and Marvel was doing House of M.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
He'll be back as soon as the Superman job is available.
: |

IF it's ever available. Scott Lobdell is going to run Superman comics out of existence before that happens.

Savitar

Sadly Waid won't be back at DC any time soon until Didio is gone.

A familiar tune no?

Waid was probably one of the first to get on his bad side.

tim1138

Are you my brother?

GL: Rebirth and New X-Men are the reason why I started reading comics (again)

Hah, exactly the same here. Before then the last time I had regularly bought comics was the X-Men Fatal Attractions crossover, which was what 93 or 94?

Dysun

Hah, exactly the same here. Before then the last time I had regularly bought comics was the X-Men Fatal Attractions crossover, which was what 93 or 94?

Same here except it was the Onslaught crossover that made me lose interest in the first place

kswiston

Same here except it was the Onslaught crossover that made me lose interest in the first place

I was 14 and still pretty new to comics, so Onslaught was cool to me. I made it up to around the time Apocalypse possessed cyclops before I bowed out. At that point, I realized that I hadn't enjoyed the x-books in some time and were just reading them out of habit.

I survived the entirety of the Age of Apocalypse in the 90s. I think I purchased and read almost every issue of every series.

I couldn't make it past the second issue of Onslaught. That should tell you something.

kswiston

I survived the entirety of the Age of Apocalypse in the 90s. I think I purchased and read almost every issue of every series.

I couldn't make it past the second issue of Onslaught. That should tell you something.

Both of those came out during Joe Mad's run on Uncanny X-men, so it was pretty easy for me to forgive the story at the time. I still like some of the AoA stories. It helps that several of Marvel's top artists at the time were working on those X-books.

ReiGun

Batman and Nightwing was good, but I think I'm all feel'd out over the Damian situation. This one didn't destroy me like past issues. Wonder Woman got my feels this week.

Man, the Avengers could not feel any more insignificant in all this Infinity business. lol

Even though we've got this Trinity War mystery licked at this point, I'm still really enjoying the story. It's actually getting me pretty hyped for Villain's Month. No small feat considering I did not care at all two weeks ago.

I'm enjoying Supergirl, but man Kara is a real asshole. I feel for her, but she's an asshole.

On the current topic, I don't get why people hate John's so much. He's a good writer who turns in entertaining stories, which is really all I ask.

tim1138

Even though we've got this Trinity War mystery licked at this point, I'm still really enjoying the story. It's actually getting me pretty hyped for Villain's Month. No small feat considering I did not care at all two weeks ago.

I'm enjoying Supergirl, but man Kara is a real asshole. I feel for her, but she's an asshole.

On the current topic, I don't get why people hate John's so much. He's a good writer who turns in entertaining stories, which is really all I ask.

Yeah while I feel like we've done a pretty great job of sorting out Trinity War it's just been a lot of fun to read, especially since I don't think it is what anyone was expecting. I'm super hyped for Forever Evil and seeing how it all plays out.

Have they revealed the identity of
Cyborg Superman
in Supergirl?

It seems to me that a lot of the Johns hate really became prominent when he became CCO, but maybe that's just me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah while I feel like we've done a pretty great job of sorting out Trinity War it's just been a lot of fun to read, especially since I don't think it is what anyone was expecting. I'm super hyped for Forever Evil and seeing how it all plays out.

Cyborg Superman
in Supergirl?

It seems to me that a lot of the Johns hate really became prominent when he became CCO, but maybe that's just me.

It's at the end of the issue

Savitar

Cyborg Superman
in Supergirl?

Cyborg Superman's ID:

Kara's father. .

Dysun

I was 14 and still pretty new to comics, so Onslaught was cool to me. I made it up to around the time Apocalypse possessed cyclops before I bowed out. At that point, I realized that I hadn't enjoyed the x-books in some time and were just reading them out of habit.

I was pretty young myself, but I felt pretty burned having to buy so many books to get the full picture. The payoff was severely lacking as well with the pocket dimension Franklin Richards stuff

Owzers

Never had any issues reading any of them, except maybe Thor

i prefer Astonishing X-Men/Immortal Iron Fist sized omnibus collections...but i can't stand huge stuff like Invisibles and Wolverine by Claremont. I don't know if i'll buy another omnibus over 1000 pages.

If you could get five writers currently at DC, who would you get to write for Marvel? And what would you want them to write?
Anonymous

Sorry, I’m not going to answer this, because I stand a pretty good chance of being able to get most writers who are writing elsewhere to do something for Marvel, and so why would I want to warn my competition that I’m coming. Just look at our books over the next 24 months and you’ll have your answer.

from Tom brevorts froumspring

Vyer

Man Batman and Nightwing really kind of hits you.

Also, New Guardians 23 is the first time I've been interested in any of this Relic stuff. Might actually try a few more chapters. Good issue.

Avengers was really kind of bland. I keep teetering on how much I actually care about Infinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom