• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
There are three trades that continue the story from the cartoon. Hush Beyond is the first, then Industrial Revolution which is followed by 10,000 Clowns. There's one more trade from that run coming eventually and after that the writers switch. Get these books, they are consistently fun. They don't get enough hype here.

Straight up, those comics are fucking schway. I'm really glad Batman Beyond has stayed alive and stayed fun, 'cause Terry is a great Batman.

I just got an email about Marvel Unlimited Plus....

I can't see any benefit to it. It's $99 a year and you get an exclusive Ultron action figure, comic, and box...and some discounts at the Marvel store. Why would anyone do this other than to sell the Ultron on ebay for hopefully more than 30 bucks to bring the price down to the regular price?

I can't see any benefit to it. It's $99 a year and you get an exclusive Ultron action figure, comic, and box...and some discounts at the Marvel store. Why would anyone do this other than to sell the Ultron on ebay for hopefully more than 30 bucks to bring the price down to the regular price?

You get a membership card!!!!

Meh, the exclusive events thing would be the most important thing, yet no one is going to know how good or really exclusive these event things are going to be. And if it's only for big cons like comic cons, then it's pretty pointless.

And was wondering if it was related, but my android MU app is still letting me read every single marvel digital comic book for free. Stuff not available on MU is appearing on my app and loading just fine, but not if I go to the website and manually browse.

Time to splurge on the comics while this lasts.

Omega

Banned
There are three trades that continue the story from the cartoon. Hush Beyond is the first, then Industrial Revolution which is followed by 10,000 Clowns. There's one more trade from that run coming eventually and after that the writers switch. Get these books, they are consistently fun. They don't get enough hype here.
thanks
Straight up, those comics are fucking schway. I'm really glad Batman Beyond has stayed alive and stayed fun, 'cause Terry is a great Batman.

schway is my new favorite word

It's like when swag was overused, but at least schway doesn't have a real meaning

Viewt

Hey guys, new to comics. Reading Batman stuff right now but there was something I was hoping someone here could help me find.

My motivation to start reading comics was from a picture I saw of Superman and Wonder Woman sitting on a building(?) together and Superman saying "I miss him." He was referring to Batman. Pretty sure anyways, otherwise it wouldn't have resonated.

Idk why he was saying that, but my speculation from my memory is that he died in that comic or something. My friend told me that the only one Batman died in, at least in a joint comic was Final Crisis, but he may not have died in the comic I'm referring to since I'm only guessing from that one panel.

Anyone have any ideas? I've only read Batman Year One, Long Halloween and Dark Victory, so I have no clue to what it could be.

This sounds really familiar. It's one of the two, I think:

- It might be from an issue of Superman/Batman. I think I remember Wonder Woman guesting in one of those issues around the time Batman RIP was coming out.

- It could also be from a Justice League of America issue from around the same time for the same reason.

- It could be from an issue of Action Comics. Same time and reason.

I'm pretty confident I've read the exact scene you're talking about.

kswiston

Thanks to everyone for the opinions RE: Flash and the Rogues.

If you are one of the people who went all digital via the Marvel comixology store, that 15% discount could end up saving you cash over the course of a year. If you already sub to regular Marvel Unlimited, and also spend more than $17 on new Marvel digital comics each month, you'd save money not even factoring in that figure. If you don't sub to Marvel Unlimited, but spend $55 a month on Marvel digital comics (which is like 6 books with all of Marvel's double and triple shipping), you'd get the Marvel Unlimited sub for free just based on the discount.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Guys, if I wanted to get into the Infinite Crises storyline, how would I do so? Like I mentioned before, I've only read a few Batman comics. My understanding is that the infinite crisis story arc is from different comics and stuff.

I don't think anyone got to this question properly so I'll give it a go:

Firstly, the phrasing of your question suggests you have a kinda idea that you've heard of 'Crisis' think it sounds neat, but don't really know what it IS, so ill try to break it down for you. The key thing to keep in mind that there have been three Crisis stories, but they're not REALLY connected, it its not a series per se:

Crisis on Infinite Earths - the daddy of them all. Back in the 80s, DC did this super dense 12 issue mini which took their myriad of parallel universes and blew them all up, leaving the slate relatively clean. It was pretty much the new 52 but in the 80s. The story itself is dense, cosmic, hyperbolic and probably entirely impenetrable if you're not well versed in the old DC multiverse. I've tried to read it and gave up.

infinite Crisis - the more I think of it, the less I'm sure what this was actually about. Firstly, it's not just the crisis, but there are 4 (count em!) lead-in miniseries - a space one, a magic one, a cyber spies one and a villains one. All of which leaves the DCU teetering on the brink of collapse and whammo, the multiverse is 'back'. It's big punchy Geoff Johns comics. I remember it being quite thrilling at the time, all the comics were flowing into this one nexus point, the stakes seemed super high. Big stuff. Maybe less substance than you'd think. This was followed up by the excellent 52 series, where the main heroes were out of action for a whole year. Out of the whole crisis shebang, 52 is what it was all for.

final Crisis - Grant Morrison writes the final New Gods story. Massively cosmic. Impressively self contained bar a few tie-ins by the main writer. Great ancillary series (Rogues Revenge, Crisis of Three Legions, Revelations). My favorite of the three Crisis stories, but lots of other people will disagree. But they're idiots, don't trust their opinions.

I dunno man, I would not recommend Crisis books to a new reader at all, they're all mired in. A really specific continuity from a bygone time, all riddled with plot holes and confusing nuances... But then again,they're something that only comics can do, so you might enjoy them.

And was wondering if it was related, but my android MU app is still letting me read every single marvel digital comic book for free. Stuff not available on MU is appearing on my app and loading just fine, but not if I go to the website and manually browse.

Time to splurge on the comics while this lasts.

Huh? Can you explain this in detail, or maybe it's not happening for me since I have the iOS app

Huh? Can you explain this in detail, or maybe it's not happening for me since I have the iOS app

Yea its working for me on the android app on my tablet. My gf has it on her iPad and its not working. But on my android I'm getting access to all the comics on MU. I just read all of age of ultron which is not even yet released for MU. Its a weird glitch but I'm not going to complain.

Yea its working for me on the android app on my tablet. My gf has it on her iPad and its not working. But on my android I'm getting access to all the comics on MU. I just read all of age of ultron which is not even yet released for MU. Its a weird glitch but I'm not going to complain.

Maybe it's supposed too and iOS is just a little behind, are you able to read last weeks comics?

kswiston

I don't think anyone got to this question properly so I'll give it a go:

Firstly, the phrasing of your question suggests you have a kinda idea that you've heard of 'Crisis' think it sounds neat, but don't really know what it IS, so ill try to break it down for you. The key thing to keep in mind that there have been three Crisis stories, but they're not REALLY connected, it its not a series per se:

Crisis on Infinite Earths - the daddy of them all. Back in the 80s, DC did this super dense 12 issue mini which took their myriad of parallel universes and blew them all up, leaving the slate relatively clean. It was pretty much the new 52 but in the 80s. The story itself is dense, cosmic, hyperbolic and probably entirely impenetrable if you're not well versed in the old DC multiverse. I've tried to read it and gave up.

infinite Crisis - the more I think of it, the less I'm sure what this was actually about. Firstly, it's not just the crisis, but there are 4 (count em!) lead-in miniseries - a space one, a magic one, a cyber spies one and a villains one. All of which leaves the DCU teetering on the brink of collapse and whammo, the multiverse is 'back'. It's big punchy Geoff Johns comics. I remember it being quite thrilling at the time, all the comics were flowing into this one nexus point, the stakes seemed super high. Big stuff. Maybe less substance than you'd think. This was followed up by the excellent 52 series, where the main heroes were out of action for a whole year. Out of the whole crisis shebang, 52 is what it was all for.

final Crisis - Grant Morrison writes the final New Gods story. Massively cosmic. Impressively self contained bar a few tie-ins by the main writer. Great ancillary series (Rogues Revenge, Crisis of Three Legions, Revelations). My favorite of the three Crisis stories, but lots of other people will disagree. But they're idiots, don't trust their opinions.

I dunno man, I would not recommend Crisis books to a new reader at all, they're all mired in. A really specific continuity from a bygone time, all riddled with plot holes and confusing nuances... But then again,they're something that only comics can do, so you might enjoy them.

Other than some cataclysm era Batman, and a few assorted graphic novels, Infinite Crisis and Identity Crisis were basically my introduction to DC, and I pieced most of it together at the time. Of course, you'll miss out on the smaller references, but it's not that impenetrable.

I just re-read Infinite Crisis about a month ago. If you are specifically interested in that event, the reading order is below.

0) Previous Events that lead into Infinite Crisis
a) Crisis on Infinite Earths #1-12 (very optional, and very dated)
b) Identity Crisis #1-7 (Optional. A lot of people dislike it, but it was sort of DC's Avengers Disassembled. An event that set up the tone of their continuity for several years)

1) Countdown to Infinite Crisis One-shot

2) The Four Countdown to Infinite Crisis minis
a) Rann-Thanagar War #1-4
b) OMAC Project #1-4 (this series meanders into some Superman and Wonder Woman books. You may want to read Wonder Woman #219 as well)
c) Villains United #1-4
d) Day of Vengeance #1-4

4) Infinite Crisis Series and One Shots
a) Infinite Crisis #1-3
b) Infinite Crisis: Day of Vengeance One-Shot
c) Infinite Crisis #4
d) Infinite Crisis: Rann-Thanagar War One-Shot
e) Infinite Crisis #5-6
f) Infinite Crisis: OMAC Project One-Shot
g) Infinite Crisis: Villains United One-Shot
h) Infinite Crisis #7

5) 52 #1-52 (optional, but it follows up on may of the events listed above, and was excellent)

I almost forgot to make my list for to-

Marvel Comics
A+X #11 (maybe)
Captain America #10
Captain Marvel #15
FF #11
Gambit #16
Journey Into Mystery #655
New Avengers #9
Thor God of Thunder #12
Uncanny Avengers #11
Uncanny X-Men #11
Wolverine and the X-Men #35
Young Avengers #9

Dark Horse Comics
Itty Bitty Hellboy #1
King Conan Hour of the Dragon #4

Image Comics
Lazarus #3
Sex #6

Other Publishers
Miss Fury #5 (Dynamite)
Previews #300 (Diamond)

o_O

ASDFGHJKLQYIPI HQPOHJF NPCDVJNOPF FPUWRIAJN WRBPNI IPUFRUPN LNAJKLFVN

Plus, the stuff I didn't pick up last week.

ASDFGHJKLQYIPI HQPOHJF NPCDVJNOPF FPUWRIAJN WRBPNI IPUFRUPN LNAJKLFVN

tim1138

List-age

Justice League
Aquaman
Flash

I still have a whole stack of stuff from the library to read as well, including Atomic Robo vol 5 & 6, the last volume of Sweet Tooth, the New Teen Titans Omnibus vol 1, and two of the Before Watchmen trades (because why the eff not?).

Hey guys, my partner surprised me with Supergirl (New 52) Vol 1 and 2 trades for our anniversary. What am I in for?

EDIT: Just a heads-up. Spoilers are out and about for Justice League # 23/Trinity War conclusion. If you don't want to be spoiled, you might want to be weary until after you've read the issue.

Hey guys, my partner surprised me with Supergirl (New 52) Vol 1 and 2 trades for our anniversary. What am I in for?

EDIT: Just a heads-up. Spoilers are out and about for Justice League # 23/Trinity War conclusion. If you don't want to be spoiled, you might want to be weary until after you've read the issue.
Spoil me please brah.

The Paul Dini Black Canary/Zatana OGN finally has a new release date, May 2014.

Parch

Is anyone still reading Nightwing? How is it?
I was kinda wondering this myself.

I've been ignoring comics. Shame on me. Had other things to do during the summer, but I'd like to get into a Bat book now. Nightwing? Batman and Robin? I heard Batgirl is supposed to be good right now as well. How is this Batman '66? That's completely stand alone, right? I don't want a Bat book that is or going to be crossover.

I've been ignoring comics. Shame on me. Had other things to do during the summer, but I'd like to get into a Bat book now. Nightwing? Batman and Robin? I heard Batgirl is supposed to be good right now as well. How is this Batman '66? That's completely stand alone, right? I don't want a Bat book that is or going to be crossover.
If you like Adam West Batman you'll like Batman '66, and yes, it's completely standalone.

Isak_Borg

Nightwing is enjoyable, nothing amazing but I really dig it.

Batman '66 is amazing and one of the founders of comixology did the guided view for the first three issues and it really shows off what you can do with the platform.

Batman and Robin is an amazing book and the post damian issues constantly give me feels.

CorvoSol

Returning briefly to Batman Beyond, I'm kinda impressed that they got away with having a minority Batgirl and nobody said anything. I mean, I guess Batgirl doesn't have the kind of name that Spider-Man does, but Batgirl Beyond is about as relevant to OG Batgirl as Ultimate Spider-Man was to OG Spidey.

Anyway, though, I'm kinda wondering if there's another comic I should get back into. I read a few of that recent Hawkeye run, and thought the coloring/art was nice, but I dunno. Was that run any good?

I've been thinking about getting a new favorite Marvel Superhero, since my favorite's been dead and isn't coming back any time soon, and then they offed Spidey.

Isak_Borg

Returning briefly to Batman Beyond, I'm kinda impressed that they got away with having a minority Batgirl and nobody said anything. I mean, I guess Batgirl doesn't have the kind of name that Spider-Man does, but Batgirl Beyond is about as relevant to OG Batgirl as Ultimate Spider-Man was to OG Spidey.

Anyway, though, I'm kinda wondering if there's another comic I should get back into. I read a few of that recent Hawkeye run, and thought the coloring/art was nice, but I dunno. Was that run any good?

I've been thinking about getting a new favorite Marvel Superhero, since my favorite's been dead and isn't coming back any time soon, and then they offed Spidey.

sleepwalker is what you should be reading... A revival is happening any day now, ANY DAY NOW DAMNIT!!!

This is the most i've ever liked Dexter Soy

BSuRAbWIcAAw52M.jpg

Still sticking with it? I dropped after issue #4. I dunno. It seemed like there was a lot of text, which isn't inherently a bad thing, but it wasn't really moving anything forward.

Has anything changed?

I dropped it after #5. I have never been so excited to drop a book. That was the best, happiest drop. Thud!

I bought the first three issues going on the rave reviews the first issue received on a podcast (House to Astonish, I think). I quite hated it, but my completionist demons got the best of me and I decide to give it a chance by way of collecting what I imaged would be the first arc, 5 issues. I hated each issue more than the last. Paper thin characters. Depressed, humourless non-hero. No plot because the hero doesn't actually care about anything.

For what it's worth I hated the shit out of Bounce. Learned my lesson there, though, and only bough the first issue.

Maybe it's just a thing with me and Joe Casey.

I bought the first three issues going on the rave reviews the first issue received on a podcast (House to Astonish, I think). I quite hated it, but my completionist demons got the best of me and I decide to give it a chance by way of collecting what I imaged would be the first arc, 5 issues. I hated each issue more than the last. Paper thin characters. Depressed, humourless non-hero. No plot because the hero doesn't actually care about anything.

It actually sounded pretty interesting from the descriptions before the book launched. But after it launched, it wasn't going in the direction they suggested. And whenever it came out, it always ended up being the last of that week's books that I got to. I like the occasional comic with some naughty content, but the book just has some depictions of nudity for the sake of nudity.

I'll give Fraction's Sex Criminals a try when it launches.

Still sticking with it? I dropped after issue #4. I dunno. It seemed like there was a lot of text, which isn't inherently a bad thing, but it wasn't really moving anything forward.

Has anything changed?
In one issue? Not really.

Not-Batman got drunk and a girl tried to give him a blowjob, but he f*cked that up and lawyer buddy had to take him home. The black kid is turning out to be Not-Robin, or Almost-Robin, and he sneaks into Not-Batman's Not-Batcave to use his computers to hack the accounts of the gay mafia twins. Not-Catwoman reviews security footage of her throwing Not-Joker out of her brothel, revealing that her eyesight is failing in the process, and notices Not-Batman in disguise sitting at the bar. The next morning, Not-Batman has to meet with the mayor of Not-Gotham while dealing with a hangover, while lawyer buddy is still trying to figure out a way to get Not-Batman laid and another client tells him about something called "Saturnalia," which I'm guessing is some fancy-schamcy orgy for the rich.

I still like it. Even if I feel an overwhelming urge to shave off Not-Batman's and Not-Robin's matching goatees every time I see them. I am waiting for that push, though, to get Not-Batman to make a decision about what he wants to do.

EDIT: I just had a thought... could the gay mafia twins be Not-Two-Face?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You need to be reading Hawkeye. There is an issue told from a dog's perspective. A DOG. The colors, the smells, the voices, everything is from the DOG's perspective.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Glancing over that list of DC's trades...

I have to wait until September for Superman Unchained?! Geez. Nearly 15 months from the first issue, and it collects 7 issues. Gotta love that 8 month delay.

Looks like there was eventually clarification on what the Shazam collection is including, and it's fortunately all the backups and the pair of full issues. That's nice.

I still like it. Even if I feel an overwhelming urge to shave off Not-Batman's and Not-Robin's matching goatees every time I see them. I am waiting for that push, though, to get Not-Batman to make a decision about what he wants to do.

I think that's what got me. He's just such an apathetic character. He has no motivation and gives a shit about nothing. At least at this point, he's not a compelling character.

I think that's what got me. He's just such an apathetic character. He has no motivation and gives a shit about nothing. At least at this point, he's not a compelling character.
Yeah, Casey hasn't lit Not-Batman's fuse yet. But when he does, and that powder keg of repressed desires goes off, it won't be pretty.

I read the first 5 of Sex and dropped it. After 5 issues you think the book would be able to establish an audience that its going for. The closest thing is this Batman/Bruce Wayne parallel that Spike elluded to but that is not going anywhere fast. Then you have the perv audience who may be buying the book for the mandatory sex scene this book seems to have to have. It is called Sex right? Saga does erotic visuals better and it fits the story. These scenes just seem to be thrown in there because they have to. I may come back one day but it will be TPB.

Owzers

Glancing over that list of DC's trades...

I have to wait until September for Superman Unchained?! Geez. Nearly 15 months from the first issue, and it collects 7 issues. Gotta love that 8 month delay.

Looks like there was eventually clarification on what the Shazam collection is including, and it's fortunately all the backups and the pair of full issues. That's nice.

I've come to terms that if i don't pick up a DC book monthly, there's a good chance i'll never bother with it because of the trade waiting period.

Bii

I need some help from Fables readers. So, I've been reading Fables as the trades come out. But I figure that I should just read the monthlies since I'm nearly caught up with it. Fables Vol. 18 "Cubs in Toyland" collects #114-123. One would think that I can just purchase #124 and be on my way instead of waiting until December 2013 comes around (when Fables Vol. 19 is out), right? In Fables Vol. 17, we find Bumpkin
abducted by those flying monkeys
. Well, I started reading #124 and I have no idea what the heck's going on. I feel like I missed something earlier since the story picks up where
the Nome King is killed?
. What the heck happened in between those events and did I miss it somewhere? :(

Anywho, here's what I plan to pick up tomorrow:
Batman/Superman #3
FBP Federal Bureau of Physics #2
Captain Marvel #15
New Avengers #9
Thanos Rising #5
Wolverine and the X-Men #35

Though I might drop Batman/Superman from my monthly rotation. It's been meh so far.

kswiston

Trinity War ends today. DC plans to release the trade in mid March...

If that was a Marvel series, the HC would be out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom