• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

sleepwalker is what you should be reading... A revival is happening any day now, ANY DAY NOW DAMNIT!!!

I'll have to look into it, I guess.

You need to be reading Hawkeye. There is an issue told from a dog's perspective. A DOG. The colors, the smells, the voices, everything is from the DOG's perspective.

It's a tiny bit more expensive than the Batman ones, but I'll give it a go.

I really want to get into Batman Beyond, but I need to figure out what to cut.

It's only 99c a month, which is what allows me to keep coming back. I really enjoy it, though. So far it has avoided the Super Hero harem nonsense, though. I think that having the ending to the entire series already done and animated might help that.

Does anyone have any pics available of Hickma's graph comics? Trying to work on this Image submission. I gotta know if my writing can stand on its own, i gotta know.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Does anyone have any pics available of Hickma's graph comics? Trying to work on this Image submission. I gotta know if my writing can stand on its own, i gotta know.

It's probably best to see it in context.
The first issue of The Nightly News is free on Comixology.

strobogo

Banned
I'm reading through the complete Dark Phoenix Saga for the first time since the early 90s. Most of what I remember was actually from the cartoon. But it made me think about something. When Jean or the Professor make a telepathic link with someone, and that person then can communicate telepathically, wouldn't that mean that the person on the other side of the link has latent telepathic abilities? Or am I just over thinking it because I'm drinking?

CorvoSol

Oh, I thought Batman Beyond was a normal priced series and the 99c ones were if you wanted some short story extras?

Nah, they're all 99c. They're digital only, too, so the price kinda makes sense.

I'm reading through the complete Dark Phoenix Saga for the first time since the early 90s. Most of what I remember was actually from the cartoon. But it made me think about something. When Jean or the Professor make a telepathic link with someone, and that person then can communicate telepathically, wouldn't that mean that the person on the other side of the link has latent telepathic abilities? Or am I just over thinking it because I'm drinking?

I think it's more like if you have a tin-can versus a cell tower. Like, Scott can communicate, but only with Jean, and only because Jean set the connection up.

Trinity War ends today. DC plans to release the trade in mid March...

If that was a Marvel series, the HC would be out next month.

This is sick, someone needs to slap the shit out of DC's editorial staff.

I've come to terms that if i don't pick up a DC book monthly, there's a good chance i'll never bother with it because of the trade waiting period.

I think this is a Didio thing. A very stupid thing. I understand wanting to make some space between the issues and the trades, but this sucks.

There is no goddamned reason that the Death of the Family hardcover should just be coming out eight months after the event ended.

EDIT: Oh, and I want Trinity War spoilers too!

strobogo

Banned
Nah, they're all 99c. They're digital only, too, so the price kinda makes sense.

I think it's more like if you have a tin-can versus a cell tower. Like, Scott can communicate, but only with Jean, and only because Jean set the connection up.

I suppose that makes enough sense to me.

tm24

FInally caught up on XMen Legacy. Im not worried about Mighty Avengers and its bad art after getting through Tan Eng Huat's art. Blindfold looks real rough.

ElNarez

Banned
FInally caught up on XMen Legacy. Im not worried about Mighty Avengers and its bad art after getting through Tan Eng Huat's art. Blindfold looks real rough.

Saying that ANYONE is worse than Greg Land might be the wrongest opinion on anything ever. That Greg Land's shitty terrible no good traced bullshit made to look that much worse by some of the worst coloring in modern comics is on a book as important as it is in the wider context of minority representations in the comic medium is A. FUCKING. TRAVESTY.

tm24

Saying that ANYONE is worse than Greg Land might be the wrongest opinion on anything ever. That Greg Land's shitty terrible no good traced bullshit made to look that much worse by some of the worst coloring in modern comics is on a book as important as it is in the wider context of minority representations in the comic medium is A. FUCKING. TRAVESTY.

I never said Huat was worse than Land! just that it's prepping me for Land!

tm24

Greg Land makes me really fucking angry, but also Huat's art is good. It's dynamic. It's weird and it's on a weird book full of weirdos.

For about 6 issues i thought someone different was drawing the Legion mind parts. Huat draws some pretty boss monsters.

Why do you guys support Land? Is it a masochistic thing? Being part of a train wreck? Moth to a flame? I just don't understand. Bad art kills my soul. I've almost dropped entire series because of a bad fill in artist.

Also, question, how good/bad is the Iron Man Secret Origin? It sounds... Uh... Special. I have a weird thing with secret origins. Like, I kind of liked the Legion one because it implies that the Time Trapper inadvertently created the Legion by trying to stop their creation. So it undermines the original reason a bit, but ends up ironically fun.

Why do you guys support Land? Is it a masochistic thing? Being part of a train wreck? Moth to a flame? I just don't understand. Bad art kills my soul. I've almost dropped entire series because of a bad fill in artist.

Also, question, how good/bad is the Iron Man Secret Origin? It sounds... Uh... Special. I have a weird thing with secret origins. Like, I kind of liked the Legion one because it implies that the Time Trapper inadvertently created the Legion by trying to stop their creation. So it undermines the original reason a bit, but ends up ironically fun.
Its awful. Don't read it.

Got JL23 and S&B3 with my breakfast.
Hope we will see some kind of discussion about the Issues because we there will be much to discuss.

JL23 is good, Reis knocks it out of the part and it is clean and lean. It is a "housestyle" that is non agressive and you get it that it is a clean visualisation of a story. The trinity war key-art we saw last year returns, with a few updates.

The content - oh boy - here I think it we will see a strong line between people that like it and people that will plain hate it. And most of it is because of Johns writing. No way Lemire would have written some parts that way they are presented. Anyone that hoped for trinity war to have a ending - uhm yeah no, the cliffhanger here is link a midstory one despite the claim that this is the conclusion.

Now we go to the spoiler part: Contentspoiler
After the preview we get to the point where the JLs are beating the crap out of each other. We see that Steve want's Superman to die beause he took Diana from him. We see Superman trying to kill Batman because and hates on Diana for maybe going with Batman once he is dead. It escalates quickly but the Box shuts down as most of the heroes are down. Calming down they try to find out what's wrong. Element Woman and Firestorm realize that there is a sliver of Kyrpotnite in Superman's brain that's killing him. And just as they plan to remove it the villians make their play. Atom is really Atomica from the Crime Syndicate. She jumped Superman and hit a nerve in his brain with the Kryptonite to trigger his heat vision and poison him. Cyborg has been infected with a Virus called "the grid" who now purges Victor in a gross sequence from his Cyborg body and we see the full extent of the injuries he suffered as Darkseid attacked. Batman tries to regroup the Leagues and have Victor and Superman saved but it is too late. The Crime Syndicate emerges and the Box is describes as a "gateway to the place where evil was born". The issue ends with the CS towering over the broken leaguers.

Okay this was the content. Now to my remarks/rants.
John Constantine as a corrupt hero is a nice concept. But Johns hammers it home in a way that reduces one of the most complex and compelling characters in comics to a one note joke. "oh I'm so corrupt thus I can take the box and you noble heroes can not because you are too much of white knights!" - This is BAD writing. Very very bad writing. The Atomica twist is okay, but it does not match up with much of the dialoge and interaction we had seen before. But okay it is well handled. Then the rant of Superman wanting a "regular life". While in itself a traditional Superman trope that works, the motive of "Superman want's a traditional atomic family" that Johns strongly implied here does not work with the current character in my eyes. And the implication that Diana is something that men can possess that is stated by Supes and Steve. I don't even want to get there. The way they rework Mera into the story because she was in the keyart - lame. The way that nothing get's resolved is bad too. Yes I will pick up Forever evil next week. And typically in Johns- fashion I already know everything I need to know about the characters of Owlman and Powerring because they will not get a deeper personality than they have been given here. And now we will have to way 7 month to see this story resolve ...

Making it short: I like what Johns set's out to do with his storylines but his characterwork is rubbing me all the wrong ways. Since years. Since he gave Wally a civilian I.D. and a job at the police to give you a hint for how long. And Trinity War pushes it to the max with removing any kind of complex characterdetails that may be part of the characters.

Wow that was much more text than I thought.

And I promised a few words on S&B 3 - HEY IT ROCKS! Art, story and dialoge are terrific. We even get a nice timeline for E2 and it even uses "How Bruce met Clark" set in Smallville in a wonderfully rendered scene. Story Spoiler
And yeah we see Darkseid in it. And it is a haunting image. the way he holds Supes cape while the heroes burn... Powerful stuff. And the Clark and Bruce of E2 friendship. So good (Insert Spider-Man 3 gif if you are a fan of GAFs gif obsession). I hope we see the Prime Earth boys develop a similar bond in later issues. And the fact that the Supermen and Batmen team up will most likley destroy the one weapon that could have save E2 from the invasion is haunting.
I love this book. Pak is great and damn the ART! Jae Lee kills it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Forgot to post my list on Monday as it was a bank holiday!

Avengers Arena #14
FF #11

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #26
Uncanny X-Men #11
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #25
Deadpool #15
Sex #6
Captain Marvel #15
Batman/Superman #3
The Unwritten #52

Bolded for awesome. Love AA and FF. Been enjoying USM a lot but I keep hearing about this big storyline in the Ultimate universe where
the universe is ending and Miles is going to 616
- I don't read anything else in Ultimate so am I missing out on a huge storyline somewhere? I've seen no hints of this but I wouldn't be surprised as I don't really pick up much in the way of crossover stuff.

TMNT has been a surprisingly good book, never read any of the earlier comics but I've got into this new series quite a bit.

I suppose that makes enough sense to me.

To me it's more like Jean can hear what Scott's thinking and also project her thoughts into his head, so she's doing all the work. Scott doesn't have to project his thoughts over to Jean because she can just read his responses to what she's sending to him straight out of his head.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've come to terms that if i don't pick up a DC book monthly, there's a good chance i'll never bother with it because of the trade waiting period.

Good stories will be good forever. All DC is doing is letting you see than 90% of their output are bad stories with no longevity at all. They're doing you a favour really.

Is anyone still reading Nightwing? How is it?

I'm with Shin Johnpv on this. Since Night of the Owls it was okay with moments of greatness and since the death of Damien/the move to Chicago it has been good to very good.

It is okay. Higgins has Richard's voice and character down. Only the storylines thus far were not that good. Many great ideas got cut short, while others got padded to match the flow of Snyder's Batman.

Kinda the problem Bernard and Tomasi had with GLC/GL:NG were they had to pace themselves accordingly to the main title.

I'm with Shin Johnpv on this. Since Night of the Owls it was okay with moments of greatness and since the death of Damien/the move to Chicago it has been good to very good.

It is okay. Higgins has Richard's voice and character down. Only the storylines thus far were not that good. Many great ideas got cut short, while others got padded to match the flow of Snyders Batman.

Kinda the problem Bernard and Tomasi had with GLC/GL:NG were they had to pace themselves accordingly to the main title.

I agree with you on almost all these points. Higgins has done a good job at building up Dick's world in a believable way. Some of his stories seem to have been truncated at times, but I don't feel they have suffered, he usually uses the change for a springboard into the next potential arc. If he continues to add some supporting cast, the move to Chicago might just prove to be the best idea he has had yet. Of course, Forever Evil is going to interfere, so we'll have to see where that goes.

If he continues to add some supporting cast, the move to Chicago might just prove to be the best idea he has had yet. Of course, Forever Evil is going to interfere, so we'll have to see where that goes.

Yeah true.

The only thing that bothered me were the ciricus issues at the beginning, which spent one or two issues without providing enough content despite the great idea to have Dick move around the US with the circus.

My favourite issues are the Court of Owls ones that tie to the Gates of Gotham book as they built Gotham history and gave a nice origin to the Grayson name. That's one of the great things of the Snyder Bat-saga which Higgins is co-piloting - giving the families of Gotham a great history.

Itty Bitty Hellboy #1
Star Wars Legacy #6

Aquaman #23
Batman Inc Special #1
Batman Superman #3
Flash #23
Justice League #23
Larfleeze #3

Lazarus #3

FF #11
Uncanny Avengers #11
Uncanny Xmen #11
Wolverine and the X-men #35

damn

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
BTW, Alex Maleev is on the Dark Knight for this issue and the one previous, I'll be picking them both up tonight, interested to see what a 'normal' bat-title reads like these days.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think the Flash has been a fun ride since day 1. Sure I see everything coming, but the characters have been pretty good and it's been a fun ride.

Also, that artwork.

My god.

Okay.
If anyone of you fine gentlemen and ladies is not reading Transformers: More than meets the eye right now I would tell you that this is a mistake.

Issue 20 of MTME was epic.

But slightly dissapointed with NA #9, somehow it was not as good as I hoped. First time since the launch of Hickman's Avengers books when I completed one of them and was not in fanboy mode afterwards.

Owzers

Good stories will be good forever. All DC is doing is letting you see than 90% of their output are bad stories with no longevity at all. They're doing you a favour really.

well, if half my motivation for getting Trinity War derives from wanting to read that before i pick up Forever Evil....I can't disagree.

Who's going to care about Trinity War after Forever Evil is already over and the next DC phase will already be rolling out?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
General Thoughts on Trinity War

I really enjoyed the series. As a fun ride, it definitely hit all the points I would have liked it to. Not as good as the Battle of Atlantis series, but still good stuff. I think Johns did a good job of keeping this from getting too punchy. I'm not sure how *no one* figured out the freaking krypton thing though. It was stolen in the issue leading up to Trinity War.

I did feel it was a massive let-down after 2 years of build up that the thing was a total swerve though. Johns JUST did the same thing with the third army in Green Lantern by having Volthoom (who I still don't actually understand exactly) just show up and take them out.

Looking forward to Forever Evil, I think Johns is at his best when he is thinking outside of the box, and I think Forever Evil will sort of force him to do that because of the set up.

Also, can anyone explain Villians Month? It seems like some books (GL, Flash) are using this to set up baddies for the ongoing. It seems like most of these things are just 1-shots that have nothing to do with anything.

I honestly can't figure out which ones I can ignore and which I need to pick up to keep up to speed with my monthlies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
well, if half my motivation for getting Trinity War derives from wanting to read that before i pick up Forever Evil....I can't disagree.

Who's going to care about Trinity War after Forever Evil is already over and the next DC phase will already be rolling out?

Ths is my point exactly - so many comics published, and events especially are just middle episodes in a soap opera, they're fairly meaningless in and of themselves. If you buy Trinity War you're not getting a story, you're getting the middle of a story. These stories don't stand the test of time at all, the only point is to follow the soap opera (which is fine, really. That's why I like X-Men, but I wouldn't waste my money on trades for it).

The key, and you're halfway there already, is that these are not intrinsically good and valuable stories in and of themselves. And once you realise that, it's only a single step to think "Why am I buying this then?" - it's ethereal, transitory entertainment, and it doesn't belong on a bookshelf. Read once, filed and never looked at again is more the case.

Much more interesting to me is something like Hickman's work on Avengers right now - entirely self contained, a run with a definite end in sight that you will be able to re-read years later and get a complete story from. Marvel have been very guilty of the endless soapy events in previous years, so they're not exempt from my ire at all, they're just doing it better these days.

tim1138

I'll probably post more in depth Trinity War impressions later, but a few quick things from the finale:

The Atom reveal was well done, right up until that point I was expecting it to be Waller somehow.
The debut of the Grid was as gross as promised, poor Vic, there's not a whole lot of him left.
I laughed at Sea King being 90s extreme hook hand Aquaman.
The CSA bringing (who I can only assume is) their Luthor with them will come back to bite them, wouldn't surprise me if he's in the Batman costume during Forever Evil.
I hope at some point we see the history of Earth-3 and find out where the rest of the "Pandora's" boxes are.

Overall I really enjoyed the story and am looking forward to the events of Forever Evil.

Vyer

And Marvel have been very guilty of the endless soapy events in previous years, so they're not exempt from my ire at all, they're just doing it better these days.

Yeah that Age of Ultron was really something.

As for the rest: that's superhero comics. You find the arcs you like and if you like it enough you might want to get the trade. Otherwise you just ride the soap opera when you want. Nothing new there.

Owzers

Instead of taking that single step to "why am i buying this?" i take a hop in the other direction and complain it's not coming out sooner so that i can buy it.

JL #23 was a good ending and sets up FE. Not much else I can add to the discussion other than Trinity War was a fun ride.

Ultimate Spiderman #26 was alright. This has been my least favorite arc in the series and hope it leads up to a more interesting arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom