• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

List for the week:

- Justice League #23
- Avengers Arena #14
- Captain America #10
- FF #11
- Thor: God of Thunder #12
- Uncanny Avengers #11
- Wolverine and the X-Men #35
- Young Avengers #9

Looking forward to quite a few of these. That said, I need to trim my list a bit. I haven't even finished my books from last week.

Avengers Arena and Young Avengers are ending for now, so that's two down. FF is also getting dropped when Fraction leaves. I haven't read Uncanny X-Force in 2 months, so that's gone. Not sure about Cable and the X-Force yet, and I can't think of much else to cut.

So new update for the marvel unlimited apps, but seems like someone fucked up. All the comics are free on Marvel Unlimited right now, including the current release stuff that you have to pay for in the digital store.

kswiston

I haven't read the Flash since the New52 relaunch. Are sub-zero Captain Cold and the other rogues anything like the previous versions?

Sajjaja

Guys, if I wanted to get into the Infinite Crises storyline, how would I do so? Like I mentioned before, I've only read a few Batman comics. My understanding is that the infinite crisis story arc is from different comics and stuff.

I haven't read the Flash since the New52 relaunch. Are sub-zero Captain Cold and the other rogues anything like the previous versions?

The answer is, yes and no. The biggest change is going to be the fact that they actually have super powers now as opposed to using gadgets. This obviously goes against the original creed of the Rogues, but is explained as being the decision/action of Captain Cold? I believe, who decided that they needed to make that sacrifice in order to be able to compete against the Flash. It wasn't a perfect transition, however, with some of them being sort of messed up by it in some interesting ways. Other aspects of their philosophy remain intact, like their no-kill policy.

The only other thing that is a little weird is which versions of some of the characters they used. My Rogues lore isn't THAT deep, but my good IRL friend questioned one of the New 52 Flash writer/artists at ECCC about some of the choices of those versions.

CorvoSol

My man, it is good to know I am not the only one who appreciates this greatness. I agree with you on all points.

It's a great comic about one of my favorite super heroes at a price I can't argue with. Of course I'm gonna appreciate this!

I thought it was a given, nigh upon gospel, that Batman Beyond was amazing.

And yeah, I too like Corvo was initially surprised by the appearance of the Metal Men, but I kind of liked it; where it makes sense I like it when they flesh out the greater Beyond universe. Sure, I do appreciate the "bleakness" that seems to be that settings hallmark, but it always seemed weird that there was this sense of so few remaining heroes.

I think my surprise at the Metal Men is more that I don't know who they are at all. I'm not really very familiar with anything in the DCU beyond the most well known gamut: Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern and like, Martian Man Hunter and the Wonder Twins if they count. Really I know Batman and a little Superman and that's it.

I spent most of my teenage years reading Marvel, but with the state of the Ultimate Universe and all the junk that happened in X-Men after Grant Morrison left and to Spidey, I don't think I've read much Marvel since Civil War and AvX.

Guys, if I wanted to get into the Infinite Crises storyline, how would I do so? Like I mentioned before, I've only read a few Batman comics. My understanding is that the infinite crisis story arc is from different comics and stuff.

I read this series blind only picking up the trade a few years ago. That was a BIG mistake, it didn't include Countdown to Infinite Crisis, which is very important. Other than that there is a lot of lower tier heroes and villains you might not be familiar with and you might not get the motivations of certain characters.

Kikarian

I've just started to get into comics, always been a fan of Marvel and DC but never read any comics. And I understand why you guys love them so much.

I've started reading Moon Knight and I'm hooked. The art, the story is amazing.

I've just started to get into comics, always been a fan of Marvel and DC but never read any comics. And I understand why you guys love them so much.

Welcome to the glorious hobby where battle lines are drawn and redrawn every day. ;-) literally and figuratively.

It's probably the best and easiest time to get into comics for both of the big two and many indie titles are hitting out of the park.

I'd definitely suggest you dabble and see what you enjoy. As a general rule the cream rises to the top in ComicGAF so you can usually trust those suggestions.

ElNarez

Banned

Whatever you might end up reading over the course of this thread, never forget that comics fucking rule. That's the one thing we will all agree on, even when we say the exact opposite. We do that because we love, honest.

Welcome.

ReiGun

Welcome. Always glad to see someone get hip to what we all already know: Comics are cool, yo.

Enjoy your stay, and don't be afraid to ask for suggestions.

Whatever you might end up reading over the course of this thread, never forget that comics fucking rule. That's the one thing we will all agree on, even when we say the exact opposite. We do that because we love, honest.

Go back to reading your brony picture books, nerd!

---

So I still haven't figured out if I'm getting all my sick 3D covers. Normally my roommate picks them up but I think I might go that first week to either experience the elation of getting them, or the unbridled nerd rage and entitlement.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I read this series blind only picking up the trade a few years ago. That was a BIG mistake, it didn't include Countdown to Infinite Crisis, which is very important. Other than that there is a lot of lower tier heroes and villains you might not be familiar with and you might not get the motivations of certain characters.

That's exactly the route I went and a lot was missing, a lot of the weight of different scenes simply wasn't there. I'm gearing up to re-read it once I fill in all the gaps.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

GrandHarrier pretty much covered everything, but I just wanted to add that the biggest problem with the Flash run now is it's very badly written and very boring. The art is phenomenal, some of the best stuff out there, but holy hell is the story just a poor clusterfuck.

The Rogues really just come off as shitty barely-character metas as opposed to this group of problematic fuckups with a mission and a code. Geoff Johns made me love The Rogues, but Brian Buch-whateverthefuck is setting shit back decades.

Blader

Okay ComicGAF, topic. Looking at how much praise Hawkeye and Captain America are getting, I wanted to ask - have there been any notable runs that started off *amazing* and then got bad?

The Ultimates

From a Millar/Hitch blockbuster to a Loeb/MAD cesspool to Millar coming back with not much new to say and then to Hickman who rehashed a lot of his FF concepts before getting tired of it after 10 issues.

Now that I think about it, the better answer probably would have been the entire Ultimate universe.

Village

GrandHarrier pretty much covered everything, but I just wanted to add that the biggest problem with the Flash run now is it's very badly written and very boring. The art is phenomenal, some of the best stuff out there, but holy hell is the story just a poor clusterfuck.

The Rogues really just come off as shitty barely-character metas as opposed to this group of problematic fuckups with a mission and a code. Geoff Johns made me love The Rogues, but Brian Buch-whateverthefuck is setting shit back decades.

What would you say is the best characterization of the rouges , if I may ask? Not that big of a flash guy.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
What would you say is the best characterization of the rouges , if I may ask? Not that big of a flash guy.

Geoff Johns' Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge. It's the Rogues dealing with the consequences of killing a speedster and it's three issues of Johns running through the psychology of what makes a Rogue a Rogue. It's one of my favorite villains-starring comics period.

I'm not a big Flash guy either, which is what makes me all the more aware that a writer who gets the core of the characters and can just tell a good story with them will win over readers, no matter how potentially lame the characters may seem.

I don't think I'm quite so down on the writing. I think it's OK. I don't dislike it, but I think they are trying to go with a Wonder Woman style world building and showing how that can fail if not executed properly. Instead of long form story telling they should be doing quick 1-3 issue mini arcs. Show me the Flash being awesome and fast and awesome.

I will also add that some of the Rogues powers are kind of cool now. Specifically Captain Cold, but it's effect could have just been tech based. But I like it.

tim1138

Seriously. And don't forget the awfulness that is the new Reverse Flash, so so terrible.
The book peaked with the Grodd story and the rest has been mediocre to bad.

Filthy Slug

I don't think I'm quite so down on the writing. I think it's OK. I don't dislike it, but I think they are trying to go with a Wonder Woman style world building and showing how that can fail if not executed properly. Instead of long form story telling they should be doing quick 1-3 issue mini arcs. Show me the Flash being awesome and fast and awesome.

I will also add that some of the Rogues powers are kind of cool now. Specifically Captain Cold, but it's effect could have just been tech based. But I like it.

Yeah, writing is what I look for in comics moreso than art, so I'm being harsh because there are all these beautiful images that I just can't enjoy because of the poorly assembled words vomited on them.

As for the powers, what made me love the Rogues was that they were just regular dudes with cool tech, no special superpowers, no nothing. Just low-level scum that came together under a leader who made them follow a code. Their tech, the elements, never made them who they were and I liked that aspect of Johns' take on them.

Vyer

Geoff Johns' Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge. It's the Rogues dealing with the consequences of killing a speedster and it's three issues of Johns running through the psychology of what makes a Rogue a Rogue. It's one of my favorite villains-starring comics period.

I'm not a big Flash guy either, which is what makes me all the more aware that a writer who gets the core of the characters and can just tell a good story with them will win over readers, no matter how potentially lame the characters may seem.

Yeah, that Rogues book was very good. Johns did a great job with that story.

ElNarez

Banned
Go back to reading your brony picture books, nerd!

i'm legit (not that legit but a reasonable amount of legit) offended by this statement.

Also the writing in Flash is fine you big babies how the heck else would the pretty pictures work if there wasn't a straightforward, simple but effective plot with loads of neat characterizations? It wouldn't because comix are a team sport you dolts.

i'm legit (not that legit but a reasonable amount of legit) offended by this statement.

Also the writing in Flash is fine you big babies how the heck else would the pretty pictures work if there wasn't a straightforward, simple but effective plot with loads of neat characterizations? It wouldn't because comix are a team sport you dolts.
I agree. I dont see the overly offensive writing in The Flash. Morbius will open anyone's perspective on how bad writing can be.

tim1138

I don't think the writing is bad per se, it's just boring.

Also, Iris in a speedster costume makes me want Flash Iris. New 52 the shit out of her. Make it happen.

FLS_22_07_CMYK.jpg

Aw yiss.

I agree. I dont see the overly offensive writing in The Flash. Morbius will open anyone's perspective on how bad writing can be.

Heh, sometimes it seems like Morbius personally offended you.

Possibly, (Doubt it, though.) but from what I've seen, it also looks like
this is the issue where we come full circle and X-23 kills Hazmat.
This is based on pages shown alongside an interview with Dennis Hopeless a while back, which are not the same as the preview, which I've also seen. But the preview pages do seem to
back my theory.

EDIT: Ok, I just read part of #15 and it looks like
they're both missing.
In the new interview with those pages, Hopeless mentions that he had his own plans for explaining things in #13. I'd really like to see them.

I'd like to see the explanation, although I was pleased with what we got. It was cool to see the other Academy kids again.

Oh wow, I hope that spoiler's not true.

I had a strong dislike of Hazmat throughout Avengers Academy, although I loved the book as a whole. #11 and "Let's go die trying." made me do a 180 on her. I'd almost forgotten about the flashforward in #1. I actually couldn't handle her dying right now.

I don't think the writing is so bad in the Flash, just not as ambitious as it could/should be I guess you could say. I hope Reverse Flash isn't Wally, cause then they've turned Wally into a killer.

I agree with Grand they need to be doing quick 1 - 3 issue arcs and get a bunch of stories told. For the fastest man a live they're moving his story along at a snails pace. Story wise they're just reaching now at 2 years where they probably should have been at 6 - 9 months in.

Dysun

The art is so good that I don't even mind the C-tier writing. One note characters with no personality everywhere, including Barry

Village

Also, Iris in a speedster costume makes me want Flash Iris. New 52 the shit out of her. Make it happen.

Aw yiss.

Heh, sometimes it seems like Morbius personally offended you.

As long as they leave the hair out, just giver her kick ass goggles, having the hair in suit in this case is kind of weird for me.

Not exactly comic related, but sort of comic related; Seems that the next DC set for Heroclix is going to be Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes. I have the biggest nerd boner right now.

picture.php

Anybody else get an e-mail invitation to Marvel Unlimited Plus today?

It's a total joke what they're offering for the extra 40$ a year. I see tremendous value in the regular Marvel Unlimited and very little to none in this.

Splatt

I'll agree that the art took a huge hit. I thought the 8th City story was great though.

I was a bit harsh, Duane's run is alright(I really liked his future Iron Fist story) but to me, it felt really subpar compared to Bru and Matt's stuff.

Also, Injustice should change it's name to Superman is a Dick.

Omega

Banned
I just finished watching Batman Beyond on Netflix, and I need more of it.

Should I just start with the newly released Batman Beyond Universe or go into the older comics first? I see there's 4 Volumes for Batman Beyond and a Batman Beyond Unlimited

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Should I just start with the newly released Batman Beyond Universe or go into the older comics first? I see there's 4 Volumes for Batman Beyond and a Batman Beyond Unlimited

There are three trades that continue the story from the cartoon. Hush Beyond is the first, then Industrial Revolution which is followed by 10,000 Clowns. There's one more trade from that run coming eventually and after that the writers switch. Get these books, they are consistently fun. They don't get enough hype here.

Edit: Apparently Catwoman #23 is going to be a big deal??? There are mentions of retailers buying out all the last stock Diamond had. Seems it'll be the first appearance of
Joker's Daughter
. Based Villains month, bringing back a sliver of the speculator boom and bust.

There are three trades that continue the story from the cartoon. Hush Beyond is the first, then Industrial Revolution which is followed by 10,000 Clowns. There's one more trade from that run coming eventually and after that the writers switch. Get these books, they are consistently fun. They don't get enough hype here.

There is also a series before those, if I recall, that came out in 2000ish. Ran for like 20+ issues. But I don't think it was ever put into trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom