• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if the shitty writing wasn't a big enough reason to drop his books, you have another reason

he's even got the "sorry my humor offended you" apology

Lol @ "attempt at humor"

Yeah, it would have been nice if he'd gone one step further and acknowledged that what he said was not ok. It was gross. That such jokes play on bad stereotypes, etc.

But I give the guy credit for raising his hand. He didn't have to identify himself as the asshat on the panel.

Omega

Banned
Got the Wonder Woman bombshell statue, friend picks it up and drops it breaking the base sign. Fuck me. Lesson learned. Wy do people pick up my shit.

Look don't touch.

that sucks. this is why the "Dont touch my shit" rule has to be in effect 24/7

I don't even let my friends/brothers touch my Batman Court of the Owls mask special edition thing, and that's just a cheap mask.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yeah, it would have been nice if he'd gone one step further and acknowledged that what he said was not ok. It was gross. That such jokes play on bad stereotypes, etc.

But I give the guy credit for raising his hand. He didn't have to identify himself as the asshat on the panel.

Honestly he may have just done a mental calculation and realized there were enough details provided that someone else would identify him anyway, so he might as well get kudos for doing it himself.

Trying to play all those comments off as jokes is about the only funny thing in this discussion.

i don't know about that - apparently he trolled the original post and was outed, so he just publicly apologized. but if so, his comments were deleted pretty quickly.

Owzers

Now i'm thinking about mangos.

ebay adventures: Aquaman new 52 run, 1-25, 0, Justice League issues for Atlantis crossover: $39.

So...a bit under what i paid for them ( $52ish). Why isn't Aquaman # 1 worth more?

I bought Wolves and The Mire a few months ago, but i haven't read them for some reason. I really like her art like a lot though, thanks for sharing. listening now

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Watched an interesting interview with Becky Cloonan on The Hangout.. linked below? If I managed to properly link it from my phone?

http://youtu.be/Wj0_mma_5SA

Anyway, has anyone read any if her creator owned work such as Wolves, The Mire or Demeter?

I'm a fan, it's not blow your mind good but it's better than 90% of what's out there. It's certainly better than anything Lobdell has written.

I'd say buy her stuff, it's worth the money.

Owzers

I read a whole one comic! Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Zero #1 was crazy, much like when i read Sheltered, it could go either way though and i don't have that much faith in me liking the series going forward. Still...fairly good start. I like that it's more than just a secret agency book...like The Activity. This isn't a random book that you should feel comfortable ignoring though, get the first issue.

side note: during the
aftermath of the sex scene, i had flashes of South Park george rr martin wiener game of thrones song. I'm holding that against Kot

I read a whole one comic! Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Zero #1 was crazy, much like when i read Sheltered, it could go either way though and i don't have that much faith in me liking the series going forward. Still...fairly good start. I like that it's more than just a secret agency book...like The Activity. This isn't a random book that you should feel comfortable ignoring though, get the first issue.

side note: during the
aftermath of the sex scene, i had flashes of South Park george rr martin wiener game of thrones song. I'm holding that against Kot

Zero issue #2! Zero issue #2! No one should be deprived of the glory of that comic, man. After issue #1, I also thought the series might not be for me. It made me a little nauseous actually with all the violence. Still might drop it after the first arc. If I was gonna read any top secrety killer agent book, it would be Kot's. But I just don't know that the the themes will hold me long term.

Sheltered had potential but it's a mess. I called my local shop to drop it and dude was scandalized. The creators live in my city and frequent the shop. But like I told him, as there's no crying in baseball, there's no loyalty in comics. I really like Brisson's Murder Book, though.

I hate that gross, stupid sex scene.

I started and have been burning through the new Archer and Armstrong series. Man it's soo fun and good. Another winner in an impressive valiant reboot. It's essentially the spiritual continuation of the incredible Hercules. And once I made that analogy it dawned on me Van Lente was co writer of Hercules so no wonder it felt so familiar.

Must read for some good ol fun and adventure.

Green Lantern: New Guardians was really damn good. I think Justin Jordan has a great idea going on here to continue to take Kyle off in his new direction. A delightful blend of old school sci-fi, mixed into the super hero genre. The art was also fantastic. Great use of constructs.

MartyStu

Indestructible Hulk

My god, the super-scientist community is comprised of some of the biggest assholes in the entire Marvel Universe.

MartyStu

So if the shitty writing wasn't a big enough reason to drop his books, you have another reason

he's even got the "sorry my humor offended you" apology

In the defense of anyone who makes those fake apologies: if they truly thought what they said was unequivocally wrong they most likely would not have said it/issued an immediate retraction.

"sorry my humor offended you" is more sincere than the alternative.

Timo

The last two issues of Locke and Key would have been better as one big issue. But it's a great way to get 16 bucks out of people i suppose.

Six Gun Gorrilla was highly enjoyable, good little story. Jeff Stokely on art was nice as hell too.

Day men number two was bootiful but felt a little disjointed from the first. Stelfreeze swoon though.

Goddamnit Saga.

Batman Beyond Universe #5: I'm really liking where both the Batman and JL:U stories are going. They are capturing the magic that made the Animated Universe so great.

Terry encounters
Melanie of the Royal Flush Gang, again again?!

We learn that "Zod" is the Kryptonian version of "Bob". "Kneel before Bob!"

The return of
Brainiac and it's a hell of a opener.

The Shazam Family kicks some ass! I like this weird new take on them.

I haven't read BB since it changed to Beyond Universe. Not a fan of Christos Gage, didn't think he could do fun stories.

Billy and the new Flash attacking Jaxur's son, the new "Superboy", Zod with snowballs.
YskewyZ.jpg

Bruce has misgivings about anyone named "Zod".

I liked the first issue of Zero enough, but I was sold on the concept by the 2nd issue after I saw what he was trying to do. The title made sense after that issue.

also, I hope its not just me and Mr. Chew reading Private Eye, cuz its pretty legit

Owzers

I liked the first issue of Zero enough, but I was sold on the concept by the 2nd issue after I saw what he was trying to do. The title made sense after that issue.

also, I hope its not just me and Mr. Chew reading Private Eye, cuz its pretty legit

I'm going to buy the Zero trade, it's been decided. I read the first two issues of Private Eye and liked them, then bought issue 3 and never read it...then neglected the series because i'm ridiculous and spend my time reading 10 back issues of Mind the Gap that i ordered without reading the first issue and i don't like it.

This made me LOL. And pushed me to finally turn my attention to Private Eye. Read the first two issues and fixin' to read the rest later. Yes, it's GOOD, ok? It's good.

Also read Pretty Deadly #3. Then went back and read #1, #2 and #3 again. And.. I get it now. It's becoming clear. I see it! I understand! Nope, whoops, lost it. Confused, again. But seriously, issues 3 tied a lot of stuff together, which was raaaaaad. And I know it's been said time and again but, shit, it really is a freaking gorgeous book to look at. I love how Rios draws bodies and faces, in particular.

Owzers

reading the last couple issues of Morning Glories before dropping it, issue #34. I still like this series, and it's still annoying that it's so reference-heavy to obscure things in previous issues. I can't follow it, i say this after every issue, there's a " pretend theory" discussion page at the end of each issue now giving theories over what's happening and those theories are necessary because the book is near incomprehensible without having each issue in front of you with page notations on where to look things up at.

i've already decided my new years comics resolution is to quit buying so many comics Xo

LProtag

I don't normally read comics that much, but someone suggested I get into the new Hawkeye series and I really enjoyed it.

If I want to get the issues each month from now on would it be worth collecting all the backissues at this point?

Owzers

I don't normally read comics that much, but someone suggested I get into the new Hawkeye series and I really enjoyed it.

If I want to get the issues each month from now on would it be worth collecting all the backissues at this point?

It's worthwhile since they're really good. What issue did you jump into with? There's an oversized hardcover out collection 1-11, http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/HAWKEYE-HC-VOL-01/JUN130677 Good price, free shipping if you spend $50.

Finished Red Sonja #6. Fantastic wrap up to a first arc. Can't wait to see what else Simone has up her sleeve with the character.

Yeah, I dug this, too. Simone's Sonja is just a bad bitch. I mean, she gets drunk, makes sarcastic jokes, becomes angry and slays fools. She's wonderful. And it was nice to see a complex female/female relationship explored. Far too rare in comics.
Killing Tiath, though? I get that Sonja is brutal but wasn't that kinda foolish?
Interesting twist though. After discovering it, I'm curious to go back through the issues and look for the clues. Curious, but lazy.

Slizz

Man it's crazy how many good comics are out there that I have no clue about.

Stumbled upon this link:

15 Best Comic Books of 2013

Dunno how great the list is in terms of ranking and what not, but I found 3 comics I wanted to dive into ASAP; Nowhere Men, Buzzkill and Sex Criminals.....

Started Nowhere Men first then working my way to the other 2.

Messi

Stumbled upon this link:

Dunno how great the list is in terms of ranking and what not, but I found 3 comics I wanted to dive into ASAP; Nowhere Men, Buzzkill and Sex Criminals.....

Sex Criminals is only 3 issues in but I really like those 3 issues.

I need to get the Nowhere Men trade.

arkon

Stumbled upon this link:

And there's things missing that I'd put right up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom