• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digging everyone's christmas haul pics, I'm extremely jealous of some of the collections I'm seeing. I've looked into the batman back & white statues before, I'd love to start picking up one or two of those a year but I guess when it comes down to it, I just end up going with the 10-12 trades I can get instead of one statue haha.

Can't wait to sit down and read more Lazarus. I can't really say I have any idea as to where it's going, the first two issues feel like pure world and cast building, but the art is so good and Rucka can pull you in with his dialogue, even if there's *not much* going on.

maxcriden

Might be an awkward place to post this but not sure if any of you guys read the B/S/T thread, so...I have some GNs I'm looking to clear out. Asterios Polyp HC, and I think some trades of Shade The Changing Man and The Sword...I might have some TWD/Invincible single issues as well. Please PM me if you are interested. Thanks!

(A thousand pardons if this is frowned upon.)

vocab

Damn that InstockTrades packing is legit. Got my empowered vol 1, east of west vol 1, and sandman vol 5 today. Everything was perfect except East of West had some weird light ink smear on the cover. Oh well.

How often do they have sales? The recent one ends soon, and I might want to pick up a few cheap books while I can.

The only comic anything i got yesterday was the third Scott Pilgrim Color HC. Though i did get money, and B&N's sale is still going on so i'm just gonna get myself some shit

zeeaykay

Everytime I look at instocktrades most things are 30 to 45% off. I think most of their "sales" are just there to make you feel like you should buy now instead of later.

Cheska

The One List To Rule Them All

Batwoman #26
Flash #26
Superman Unchained #5

Guardians of the Galaxy #10

Rachel Rising #22
Rocket Girl #3

Wow, not as long as I thought. I'm also picking up the Justice League issue from this week.

Kevin Maguire has two prints he is going to be selling at cons this year. Going to have to make sure I get them, they're sogood.gif

I'm rather fond of his art. He's the first one I ever got a commission from.

Bcb8kt2CMAAuAnS.jpg:large
Bcb8w0lCYAEf5Rr.jpg:large

The One List To Rule Them All

Batwoman #26
Flash #26
Superman Unchained #5

Guardians of the Galaxy #10

Rachel Rising #22
Rocket Girl #3

Wow, not as long as I thought. I'm also picking up the Justice League issue from this week.

I'm waiting to see if Diamond adds anything to the release list when they update Sunday. As it is, I'm just getting Guardians #10 and Rocket Girl #3.

Wow, a $0 week followed by an under $10 week. :D

Hey, can any of you suggest a series to get into of the new 52?

I'm currently reading the trades of Batman, Nightwing, Swamp Thing, and Wonder Woman. I'm thinking of getting into Aquaman. Keep in mind that I literally just got into comics and that I've loved every issue I've read so far in the trades that I've mentioned.

I'm also reading some Marvel stuff that's available in Marvels Unlimited like Ed Brubaker's Captain America and Superior Spider-man. Other stuff I'm reading includes: 100 Bullets, Criminal, and Y: The Last Man just to give you a sense of stuff I'm into right now.

I literally just got into this medium. I wanted to try something new and I've become obsessed lol.

I don't mind staying behind current issues and sticking to the trades since I normally don't read into comic news so I won't get anything spoiled for myself.

Anyways, thanks for any input you have.

My LCS was having a 40 percent off Boxing Day sale on all books so I went a little crazy.
King City by Brandon Graham
The Art of Charlie Adlard
The Amazing, Enlightening, and Absolutely True Adventures of Katherine Whaley by Kim Deitch
Bad Houses by Sara Ryan and Carla Speed McNeil
March book one by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin and Nate Powell
Couch Tag by Jesse Reklaw
Supermag by Jim Rug and various

Also stopped by the most awesome book store in Vancouver, Lucky's Comics, for my semiannual pick up of zines and mini-comics.

Always happy to score Noah Van Sciver and Michael DeForge mini comics. I hear great things about Tom Hart's work and the Henry and Glen Forever and Ever comics were worth picking up for the covers alone.

Messi

Guys, I got an email saying my Harley bombshell statue will ship today. squeeeeee :p

I wonder if they will do a second set of those statues as Catwoman is a fairly glaring omission and im sure they missed others.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, can any of you suggest a series to get into of the new 52?

I'm currently reading the trades of Batman, Nightwing, Swamp Thing, and Wonder Woman. I'm thinking of getting into Aquaman. Keep in mind that I literally just got into comics and that I've loved every issue I've read so far in the trades that I've mentioned.

I'm also reading some Marvel stuff that's available in Marvels Unlimited like Ed Brubaker's Captain America and Superior Spider-man. Other stuff I'm reading includes: 100 Bullets, Criminal, and Y: The Last Man just to give you a sense of stuff I'm into right now.

I literally just got into this medium. I wanted to try something new and I've become obsessed lol.

I don't mind staying behind current issues and sticking to the trades since I normally don't read into comic news so I won't get anything spoiled for myself.

Anyways, thanks for any input you have.

Talon and Green Arrow are good. Talon is ending and Green Arrow has been great since Jeff Lemire started writing it. I think that was on issue #17.

Messi

Talon and Green Arrow are good. Talon is ending and Green Arrow has been great since Jeff Lemire started writing it. I think that was on issue #17.

Is it really that bad before #17? I love the Arrow show and am wondering if its anything like that or should I just read the tie in book for that?

Veelk

Banned
You're missing some supes action and Superman Unchained is really good imo. Action comics since Pak took over have been pretty good too (issue 25). And his batman and superman comic too while your at it. But if you can only have one, go with Unchained.

Um..., what else? As someone mentioned, Talon is good. I've been enjoying arkham war from forever evil, but that one won't last, obviously. Oh, and batgirl is good too, probably the best batcentric book aside from Snyder's (I'm not sure how many agree with me on that last one).

Messi

Ok. I am done with East of west. I just finished reading #7 and I just don't enjoy reading it. I kind of liked the first trade especially the final two issues. But after that I am totally lost. I have no idea what is going on or what people's motivations are bar Death. Every panel just feels random to me. Its a shame as the art and colours are fantastic as is the paper quality of the book.

I really like that Harley design much more than her current comic look.

I really like the Wonder Woman one also. That whole series is well done artistically.

MG310

Yeah, though I don't mind Harley's roller derby outfit so much...but not sure if she's actually going to keep wearing it.

Vibranium

Banned
Yeah, total cheesefest. Invincible is still best Kirkman book.

Yep. I hope Kirkman doesn't get any funny ideas and wants to make that long-dead movie or a TV show out of Invincible. Keep that stuff to The Walking Dead.

He's lucky comics superstar Ryan Ottley sticks by him. I still wonder if Ryan's been offered any stints by Marvel and DC under the table, it'd be weird for them not to.

Freezasarus you stop that right now. Without the new52 we wouldn't have Hawkeye Quinn, the hottest new comic.

I decided to not read any Harley until DC finally gives in and makes artists put her back in the superior OG costume. It's sexy and classy at the same time yet they ditched it and make her dress skimpy. Her current costume does her no favours.

Alright, I ordered Locke and Key Volume 1. Lets see what this hype is all about.

I've been taking Tims advice and pacing myself. Just read half of vol 4 tonight and it is easily my favorite collected indie comic. The wait for Feb. for vol. 6 is going to suck.

Owzers

I've been taking Tims advice and pacing myself. Just read half of vol 4 tonight and it is easily my favorite collected indie comic. The wait for Feb. for vol. 6 is going to suck.

If you're already halfway through vol 4, when did the pacing start?

I read through the first 3 volumes a year ago then bought vol 4 six months ago and haven't read it yet. That's pacing...or neglect.

Oh you guys reading Locke and Key are in for so much win. Volume 4 is a really fast read as it's kind of different to the first three volumes, lots of little stories adding up to the main narrative instead of one mega focus story like the first three volumes. By the time it blows by, it hit me how many I'd slammed through (I picked up the series right after v.4 came out, so that's what I had to work through.) If you guys are strong enough to hold out on reading volume 5, you'll have a really nice chunk to read to close the series out, but I couldn't help myself. I mean, volume 5 has a ribbon bookmark,who could resist <3

Finished Lazarus. Damn, the wait for trade 2 is going to be a long one.It honestly feels like I finished right as the story began haha, and there's still so much world set up I want to know about and understand, never mind the actual plot going on. This is probably the most interesting fictional comic world I've read being built since Wasteland. I really hope it all pays off in the end. Not sure what's next, I just want it all in my veins. I think East of West v.1 maybe.

EDIT: Tim, how far did you end up going with Unknown Soldier? I remember you'd read the first one and you maybe got a hold of the 2nd at the same time from your library?

tim1138

Oh you guys reading Locke and Key are in for so much win. Volume 4 is a really fast read as it's kind of different to the first three volumes, lots of little stories adding up to the main narrative instead of one mega focus story like the first three volumes. By the time it blows by, it hit me how many I'd slammed through (I picked up the series right after v.4 came out, so that's what I had to work through.) If you guys are strong enough to hold out on reading volume 5, you'll have a really nice chunk to read to close the series out, but I couldn't help myself. I mean, volume 5 has a ribbon bookmark,who could resist <3

Finished Lazarus. Damn, the wait for trade 2 is going to be a long one.It honestly feels like I finished right as the story began haha, and there's still so much world set up I want to know about and understand, never mind the actual plot going on. This is probably the most interesting fictional comic world I've read being built since Wasteland. I really hope it all pays off in the end. Not sure what's next, I just want it all in my veins. I think East of West v.1 maybe.

EDIT: Tim, how far did you end up going with Unknown Soldier? I remember you'd read the first one and you maybe got a hold of the 2nd at the same time from your library?

I finished it up a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it. The issue from the perspective of the AK-47 (which looks incredibly cheesy typed out) was probably my favorite. The ending fake out was brilliantly done as well. The whole series was probably my favorite comic that I read this year, thanks again for the recommendation.

Vibe might be i. The new Flash tv series!!!! I NEVER STOPPED BELIEVING THANK YOU MULTIMEDIA SUPERSTAR GEOFF JOHNS

Rock Over London
Rock On Chicago
The CW
TV Now

Owzers

I really wanted to like Forever Evil and Infinity, but both are about equally disappointing so far. Not Bendis disappointing, but that's hard to do. This is the fourth issue of FE and the fourth personal story by Lex Luthor. He's still a murdering asshole though, no matter how many times Johns wants us to like him. And the possible best moment in the issue
of Batman putting on the yellow ring
ended up being nothing, though Johns made up for that a little, possibly, with the issues close. That's the close of the fourth issue of seven and the series just lacks substance.

I like Black Adam though, i presume he'll get into the action again later. The tease for the overall plot has gone on too long, i hope everyone doesn't band together to fight the greater evil later on.

Edit:

Justice League #26: Forever Evil has been rather dull and i expected a crazy battle springing off of #4's ending, especially based on the cover to issue #26. Instead, I was treated to a couple pages of backstory on a few crime syndicate people while the grid tries to have feelings. I have a...feeling...this will be the worst issue i read this month, even though i liked the quality of the backstories, it's just that we're so far into Forever Evil and it's accomplished so little, alongside the cover switcheroo, it just feels out of place to have a backstory issue here.

What All New Marvel now series are you brahs most apprehensive about? Ill say it again, but for me its gotta be Ghost Rider.
The art looks so schway and stylized but the solicit doesn't inspire much confidence. This brah does not need to be fending off against wannabe gangtas outside Dodger Stadium. Brah needs to be dealing with the supernatural Dia De Los Muertos La Madrastra style shit. You gotta take your chances when you get em.

Magento will be a turd, not worried that it will even try nd pretend to be good. This is basically Cullen Bunn's pity book from Marvel. At one point this guy tried masquerading as a superstar. He was writing or cowriting simultaneously Wolverine, Venome Captain America and, Captain America, Black Fury the Awakening plus some other bland company books. He is a writer not a storyteller. And there is a huge difference. He is Joe Keatinge with too many chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom