• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I'm not fairly new to comics and been reading them in broken states within my life but I need some help.

First to start, I am a huge Marvel girl. Idky but I'm so invested into that universe that it's kind of my favorite. Not saying DC isn't good but I just a know a little bit more about Marvel characters than I do of DC.

My issue is, I've had Marvel unlimited for almost 2 years now but I don't know where to start in terms of storyline. For example, there are about 50+ different x-men story lines and I have no idea which one is #1 if you get me. Does anyone know where I can find like a reading guide so I can understand the stories in order from beginning to current (since they never truly end)?

Hey guys. I'm not fairly new to comics and been reading them in broken states within my life but I need some help.

First to start, I am a huge Marvel girl. Idky but I'm so invested into that universe that it's kind of my favorite. Not saying DC isn't good but I just a know a little bit more about Marvel characters than I do of DC.

My issue is, I've had Marvel unlimited for almost 2 years now but I don't know where to start in terms of storyline. For example, there are about 50+ different x-men story lines and I have no idea which one is #1 if you get me. Does anyone know where I can find like a reading guide so I can understand the stories in order from beginning to current (since they never truly end)?

I use comic vine since that's the only site I know. But there maybe better sites to comic vine. Schism is a prelude to Wolverine and the X-Men

ex. http://www.comicvine.com/x-men-schism/4050-41281/ which leads to ----> http://www.comicvine.com/wolverine-and-the-x-men/4050-43539/

I learned a lot about comics by reading battle threads and wiki, personally. You can just wiki relevant characters if you like, then jump in with Marvel NOW.

Forever Evil #4 was great fun.
Yellow Lantern Batman
was cool but turned out to be useless lol so much for that plan. Can't wait for the next issue.

arkon

You could try using the marvel universe reading order site although that only covers up to the early 90s stories: http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/list.php

Found this: http://www.comicvine.com/x-men/4060-3173/forums/order-of-major-story-arcs-724686/

And this: http://crushingkrisis.com/collecting-x-men-comic-books-as-graphic-novels/x-men-reading-order-guide/

Just pick a point and jump in. You can always go back and fill in any gaps if you want.

Cheska

Merry Christmas gang!!

tumblr_lwj9x2REll1qdep0so1_1280.png

I use comic vine since that's the only site I know. But there maybe better sites to comic vine. Schism is a prelude to Wolverine and the X-Men

ex. http://www.comicvine.com/x-men-schism/4050-41281/ which leads to ----> http://www.comicvine.com/wolverine-and-the-x-men/4050-43539/

I learned a lot about comics by reading battle threads and wiki, personally. You can just wiki relevant characters if you like, then jump in with Marvel NOW.

You could try using the marvel universe reading order site although that only covers up to the early 90s stories: http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/list.php

Found this: http://www.comicvine.com/x-men/4060-3173/forums/order-of-major-story-arcs-724686/

And this: http://crushingkrisis.com/collecting-x-men-comic-books-as-graphic-novels/x-men-reading-order-guide/

Just pick a point and jump in. You can always go back and fill in any gaps if you want.

Thank you guys so much :)! I'm definitely going to look into these and get started.

Merry Christmas Comics-Gaf! You're all great, yes even you GH you rapscallion.

<3 Thanks bro.

Been a great Christmas so far. My roommate hooked me up with a ton of Heroclix Figures I was missing. Got the Shi'ar Empire Team Base, the rest of the Primes Titans I didn't have, and all the Infinity Gem Elders, amongst others.

Vibranium

Banned
All I want for Christmas and the New Year is a proper Winter Soldier ongoing after the mini. Please Alonso, make it happen for me. :(

But Merry Christmas Comics-GAF! Enjoy Invincible Rafa, the Ryan Ottley splash pages are insane. One of the best artists in the business.

Merry Christmas Comics-Gaf! You're all great, yes even you GH you rapscallion.

Thanks Acid! Read some more Chew for Christmas cheer!

Cheska

Merry Christmas! That picture is so cute. Kate Kane! Renee Montoya!

If you're bored, maybe you can tell me who everyone else is?

I really like it too! I was trying to find something Catwoman related, but I found this picture far more fitting.

Left-to-right: Batman/Bruce Wayne, Catwoman/Selina Kyle, Batgirl/Stephanie Brown, Oracle/Batgirl/Barbara Gordon, Nightwing/Batman(sometimes)/Dick Grayson, Red Robin/Tim Drake, Batwoman/Kate Kane, Question/Renee Montoya, Black Canary/Dinah Lance, Robin/Damian Wayne, Huntess/Helena Bertinelli.

Eldren

I thought Damian was wearing Black Canary's fishnets for a second, that was a confusing moment. (Seeing Renee Montoya is a good reminder that I need to check out Gotham Central.)

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, comicsGAF! It's almost 10pm here so the day's basically over, but I hope everyone enjoys themselves :)

I didn't get anything comic related this year but I did get a £25 Amazon voucher so I'll probably use that and pick up some trades I've had my eye on.

Merry Christmas all! Love you guys also. Been a good first year on ComicGAF. Wife got me a few Batman shirts and the first 2 seasons of Batman The Animated Series and the rest of the volumes of Locke and Key.

Merry christmas comics gaf! Sadly in the build up to christmas I had to stop posting in here because I pretty much ran out of comics to read haha. Me and my girlfriend put a ban on each other buying more comics until christmas so we didn't buy anything the other had got as gifts kind of thing, but now the big day has came, I can return with celebratory christmas swag pics~!

SO these are what I received. Particularly excited to read the Lovecraft adaptations, but I started with Lazarus. Read the first 2 issues and offft, what a book. Can't wait to see where it goes.

In addition, I got this as a little bonus. I have the hardcovers, but just for the mask:

This is pretty cool haha. Need to find somewhere to put it where its front and center to creep guests out, especially since barely anyone who visits me would understand what it was.

So yay, hope everyone had a great christmas, and look forward to catching up on alot of good reading in the new year and rocking some of that comicgaf chat again.

Merry christmas comics gaf! Sadly in the build up to christmas I had to stop posting in here because I pretty much ran out of comics to read haha. Me and my girlfriend put a ban on each other buying more comics until christmas so we didn't buy anything the other had got as gifts kind of thing, but now the big day has came, I can return with celebratory christmas swag pics~!

SO these are what I received. Particularly excited to read the Lovecraft adaptations, but I started with Lazarus. Read the first 2 issues and offft, what a book. Can't wait to see where it goes.

In addition, I got this as a little bonus. I have the hardcovers, but just for the mask:

This is pretty cool haha. Need to find somewhere to put it where its front and center to creep guests out, especially since barely anyone who visits me would understand what it was.

So yay, hope everyone had a great christmas, and look forward to catching up on alot of good reading in the new year and rocking some of that comicgaf chat again.

The return of doniewhalberg! Christmas miracle, etc! Welcome back, friend. What a stunning haul.

Batwoman prefers the conversation she was having with her wine Tim.

Haha, yeah. At first I thought his hand was on her body and was like WHO DAT!

Acid08

Banned

I've heard really good things about that At The Mountains of Madness adaptation, let us know what you think!

vocab

Nice pickups dudes.

I got the first 4 volumes of Transmetropolitan from family. I got a boat load of amazon money too. Gonna be on a buying spree!

The return of doniewhalberg! Christmas miracle, etc! Welcome back, friend. What a stunning haul.

Haha thanks, it's good to be back! I guess I could have kept posting, but with a lack of new reading material, but I didn't want to be redundant ( i suppose my new ps4/vita combo got in the way too :/). Good news is I just hit amazon with my christmas money from relatives and put a further 11 book curb stomping on a my already 13 strong pile haha, so I'm going to really have endless stuff to chat about, no getting rid of me now :)

I've heard really good things about that At The Mountains of Madness adaptation, let us know what you think!

Definitely! I had actually totally forgotten mentioning these to the other half a mnoth or so ago, so it was a total surprise to get them. I'm still stinging from Del Toro abandoning the movie pitch he worked on for years, so this is going to be a great read. I also love the jacket style they've adopted going ahead post AtMoM

That owl mask is sweet.

Haha right? It's a little cheap looking out the box, but in the packaging sitting up somewhere it looks fantastic, just a really nice piece for the house.

Maybe I was just not in the right mood, but I didn't like East of West 8. Who cares about this president character? None of the other characters give a shit about her. Why should I? And the issue really was just a bunch of standing around THIS IS IMPORTANT talk. The only thing I liked was
The Oracle.
Come to think of it, my favourite thing about this series is the monsters and creatures and spectacle. But if there's one or more issue like this in this arc, I'll start trade waiting. When I have to kind of make myself read a book and it feels like homework then it's time to rethink it's spot on the list.

But, watch, the next issue will knock me on my ass. Some of them most definitely do.

My psn is donniefnwhalberg guys, feel free to add me, anyone who feels like it. Just give me a message so I know who you are :D And yes, I am aware that these are all misspellings to various degrees of what in fact the actual actor's real accurately spelt name is haha, just run with it as part of the charm ;)

My PSN is orngstnk. The words orange stink with no vowels ('cept the o). Cause, um, when my orange cat was a kitten he smelled really bad and we called him The Orange Stink. I'm almost never gaming 'cause comics, but I might mess arounds with GTA 5 online one day.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Today's comics score:
* BPRD: Plague of Frogs, Collection Vol 1 by Mike Mignola and company
* Criminal: Deluxe Edition, Vol 1 by Ed Brubaker
* The Spectral Engine by Ray Fawkes

KidDork

Merry Christmas, Comics Gaf.

Only comic I received today was a trade of Duane Swierczynski's Birds of Prey. Curious to see how it is, since I was a devout Simoneite when it came to BoP.

arkon

Merry Christmas, guys.

Finally got round to reading the final issue of Six-Gun Gorilla. I think I'll need a re-read to digest it all properly, but my immediate thoughts are it's fucking brilliant. Please give us more. Please.

Acid08

Banned
Merry Christmas, guys.

Finally got round to reading the final issue of Six-Gun Gorilla. I think I'll need a re-read to digest it all properly, but my immediate thoughts are it's fucking brilliant. Please give us more. Please.
Totally brilliant. Favorite comic this year.

tim1138

Merry Christmas gals and guys! Hope you all had a great holiday.
If you're exchanging PSN names, I'm still on PS3 but my screen name is the same as my GAF name.

Merry Christmas, guys.

Yep, best comics I read this year. Not even a contest. I encourage you to re-read 1-6. The pieces that your mind has been blown into will blow into yet smaller pieces.

I'm gonna get myself banned with how I harass all of you to buy this when it's collected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom