• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Nudull

Banned
Man, I want to love Ghost Rider but
the constant back-and-forth tonal shifts on top of the spotlight-stealing guest stars is making me want to drop it.

Messi

Lol why are you guys spoil tagging saga like that. It doesn't spoil anything and we already know it is a sad issue because of the words/gifs you guys are using around the tags.

Smh

Oh this thing again. Exact same book as last time too.

The spoilers look fine to me this time tbh. Could do without the gifs but whatever. Better to spoiler everything for saga and deadly class, just to be safe. That's what I do. Not worth the hassle.

TheFlow

Banned
Oh this thing again. Exact same book as last time too.

The spoilers look fine to me this time tbh. Could do without the gifs but whatever. Better to spoiler everything for saga and deadly class, just to be safe. That's what I do. Not worth the hassle.
Yea I am going to spoil tag my review of saga #42.

I am just not sure why they would spoil tag that stuff just to post gifs and words around it that tell us what happened

Nudull

Banned
So, this is going to be a thing.

Z337Sew.jpg

Thinking now, I'm surprised no one's tried doing a western Pokemon ongoing comic.

Malyse

Spider-Woman:
Porcupine sure died for some bullshit.

------

I would love Secret Empire to be sort of a non event event. Like, we know that Cap is Hydra, but the public at large doesn't yeah? So I would like the event to play out much the same: make the whole thing people chasing the Hydra's tail and going to Steve for assists and generally not knowing until the last few issues.

I'm not explain this well. Basically, don't have a big fight until the very end. Has Marvel ever done a event without a bunch of whizz bang action scenes?

TheFlow

Banned
Every part of basically telling people to be more inconsiderate is a dick move. Literally nothing is hurt by over spoiler tagging. C'mon now. The opposite of tagging when you shouldn't is not tagging when you should and that's not a thread anyone wants to read. Just sayin. I'm not a fan of dragging folk for trying to be considerate.

------

Spider-Woman:
Porcupine sure died for some bullshit.

------

I would love Secret Empire to be sort of a non event event. Like, we know that Cap is Hydra, but the public at large doesn't yeah? So I would like the event to play out much the same: make the whole thing people chasing the Hydra's tail and going to Steve for assists and generally not knowing until the last few issues.

I'm not explain this well. Basically, don't have a big fight until the very end. Has Marvel ever done a event without a bunch of whizz bang action scenes?
A dick move is telling a poster to "shut up"

My complaint was why spoil tag something only to reveal the context of what is spoiled with gifs and words around the black bars.

Might as well black bar all of it. Like I picked up it was a sad issue without even clicking a bar.

Can't think of a recent one anyway.

Secret Invasion was the worst for this. It would have been much better with minimal action, but after #1 they launched into gratuitous alien murder for the rest.

Nudull

Banned
Can't think of a recent one anyway.

Secret Invasion was the worst for this. It would have been much better with minimal action, but after #1 they launched into gratuitous alien murder for the rest.

Hell, Original Sin, a MURDER MYSTERY story, started with a big fight scene.

mreddie

I get the feeling the first issue is fighting HYDRA and then Cap pulls his heel turn and takes everyone out quickly

Next 6 issues is trying to take everything down and the last 2 are the epic fight scene with Cap vs. Miles or whoever.

Malyse

I get the feeling the first issue is fighting HYDRA and then Cap pulls his heel turn and takes everyone out quickly

Next 6 issues is trying to take everything down and the last 2 are the epic fight scene with Cap vs. Miles or whoever.

I want them to build to it. That or Cap wins outright at the start a la Secret Wars '15 and we spend six issues trying to convince the public/other heroes that Captain Freaking America is a bad guy.
Man, I don't really know if I want to read Stalinverse #2, because if I do I'll have no more Stalinverse to read until the next issue. :(

This is how I feel about WicDiv

Nudull

Banned
I want them to build to it. That or Cap wins outright at the start a la Secret Wars '15 and we spend six issues trying to convince the public/other heroes that Captain Freaking America is a bad guy.

So, like the Star Wars prequels with Cap as Palpatine?

How the fuck are you people even remotely excited for Secret Empire

We got rights being decimated by the fucking hour and Marvel wants to take us on a slow burn universe-wide tour of the carnage to America's greatest heroes over like seven months?

Just to get to Miles beating him in like September?

WE AIN'T FUCKING GETTING A SEPTEMBER.

Jesus Christ, fuck you Marvel.

Fuck you, Nick Spencer.

Turn on a fucking television, you fucks.

mreddie

We know Birdie, that's why I'm ill about it now.

Barely week 1 and everything is already going to hell.

This after last week with Spencer being "Don't punch the nazi" and now he wants to be all "THIZ IS HAPPENING"

No shit Nick.

You don't think I'm fucking scared?

We know Birdie, that's why I'm ill about it now.

Barely week 1 and everything is already going to hell.

This after last week with Spencer being "Don't punch the nazi" and now he wants to be all "THIZ IS HAPPENING"

No shit Nick.

You don't think I'm fucking scared?

It's so fucking disgusting. They should have pulled that book off the presses after the inauguration.

well if you put it like that, why even read comics in the first place we all fuckin dead

Are you fucking joking?

Do you not understand why art exists? What the perspective of human experience is? Insight? Empathy?

The point of film, comics, music, art, books, television?

Why creators sit down to express themselves?

"The Oath" was not perspective. It was not insight.

It was a fucking dare.

I think the worst thing about The Oath was painting Trumpers in a sympathetic light within the context of a world where people have much greater cause to be afraid of current events than real Trumpers. That could kill the whole thing for me.

I think the worst thing about The Oath was painting Trumpers in a sympathetic light within the context of a world where people have much greater cause to be afraid of current events than real Trumpers. That could kill the whole thing for me.

Yeah exactly.

Oh, it's shades of grey because someone ELSE thought of the Wall and Cap's against it. Makes ya think, huh????

Fuck. You. Dude.

Sandfox

We got rights being decimated by the fucking hour and Marvel wants to take us on a slow burn universe-wide tour of the carnage to America's greatest heroes over like seven months?

Fuck you, Nick Spencer.

I don't really see the problem with this seeing as the story will obviously be about the heroes fighting against it. We also don't even know if the stuff in The Oath will even come to fruition before they put an end to things.

shingi70

Banned
Secret Empire has the potential to be great, it's 10 issues so it should able to be paced into three different acts.

Act 1 - setting up a few heroes realized what's happened but trying to fix things on the low. A spy kinda tale.

Act - 2 Hydra takes over

Act 3 - heroes vs some nazis

mreddie

I see Birdie's anger, it's kinda hard to read the Oath and the Secret Empire stuff when it's tethering to reality.

What's worse is the symbolism.

Mutants/Inhumans as the other races allegory loses meaning when a huge chunk saved people.
The aliens are Muslims symbolism falls flat when you know a lot of the races in the MU are good people or didn't ask to be on Earth.
And the SHIELD shit falls flat when a good guy made it and not Steve himself.

Also, Steve is using actual aliens to make his plan work.

You see how everything falls flat.

I mean, whatever, y'all read what gets you through the day.

This comic was beyond tone deaf and could not be worse timed.

I wish Marvel could be an entity that read its own books and was influenced by them. Read Star-Lord. Read Nova. Read Squirrel Girl. Read Thor and Dr. Strange.

You can reflect struggle, and heroism, and current events.

But when you have this idea of "The Symbol of America" being corrupted and turning the US into a fascist regime when every 45 minutes a new actual act of fascism is signed into law?
Like, take a step back.

You can reflect struggle, and heroism, and current events.

But when you have this idea of "The Symbol of America" being corrupted and turning the US into a fascist regime when every 45 minutes a new actual act of fascism is signed into law?
Like, take a step back.

Birdie, I read all of the existing Stalinverse books in the past two days. I turn on the news and I'm basically just reading the prequel.

Malyse

Fuck you, Nick Spencer.

WIrUykX.gif

Birdie, I read all of the existing Stalinverse books in the past two days. I turn on the news and I'm basically just reading the prequel.

Stalinverse is a PERFECT EXAMPLE.

We're not watching fuckin Archer and Armstrong get ground down into the dirt. All of reality has been rewritten. Ninjak needs to reboot the universe.

We didn't watch fuckin Aric
spend 30 pages slowly describing his step by step plan to dismantle the government and all that is good in the world.

ElNarez

Banned
on the one hand nick spencer retire bitch, it's the classic, y'all know it, it's a hit

on the other, again, can we talk about how cool Justice League vs. Suicide Squad was?
Like, okay, maybe I'm not into how all of a sudden everyone is fine with the Suicide Squad like Waller isn't gonna send them to do a war crime real soon, but man, that final reveal, it's the good shit.

Malyse

on the one hand nick spencer retire bitch, it's the classic, y'all know it, it's a hit

on the other, again, can we talk about how cool Justice League vs. Suicide Squad was?
Like, okay, maybe I'm not into how all of a sudden everyone is fine with the Suicide Squad like Waller isn't gonna send them to do a war crime real soon, but man, that final reveal, it's the good shit.

I really liked the ending.

Imagine if we got this in the DCEU.

Actually, let's not.

FUCK YES.

DC DOING IT ROIGHT.

tim1138

I really enjoyed JL vs SS, and I think all event books should be weekly. The pacing was great and everything came out when it was supposed to. Williamson has grown as a writer since the first few issues of the Flash Rebirth. I loved seeing Porter drawing a cape book again, hopefully this is a trend that continues beyond this issue and the Batman/Flash crossover. The ending was solid and did a nice job setting up
JSA and Legion

Top Bottom