• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparing PS5 Vs Series X size - New pics

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
You can't use the blu-ray drive either as the slots are different sizes and its not fair for either console.

I'm gonna go deeper here. Looking at the shape of the console from the weird angle the photos are taken at, and bearing in mind that any product is also shown to minimise their angles, its rather telling. Once you get over the shape of the console and map a box around its shape (Because those fins are not just ugly, but also deceiving in pictures), you can get another perspective on things.

Now I will let people decide. Once you project a rough rectangular cage around the shape of the console (And remember those fins being curves are bent make it look a shape that its really not), which does it look "closer" to? 20cm? 30cm? 35cm?

For me, personally, I can see it closer to 30cm, as 20cm is much too small. But I'll let you all decide.

yrET6k8.jpg
Wii U PS3 XB1X PS4 Pro all the same size.
I know that don't mean PS5 XBSX will be the same, but I can't imagine there will be more than 10mm between them, so would it be useful to do 3 size comparisons, 1 both the same size DVD slot, 1 PS5 10mm bigger dvd slot and 1 XSX 10mm bigger DVD slot.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Wii U PS3 XB1X PS4 Pro all the same size.
I know that don't mean PS5 XBSX will be the same, but I can't imagine there will be more than 10mm between them, so would it be useful to do 3 size comparisons, 1 both the same size DVD slot, 1 PS5 10mm bigger dvd slot and 1 XSX 10mm bigger DVD slot.

The thing is that the drive size difference could be upward of 1cm, which could mean anywhere from 3-5cm out in today. That’s a LOT.

The inner USB connection is standard, there is only one size. You can have multiple port sizes, with multiple different housing, but the inner tab is always the exact same size; 1cm. It’s a pretty fool proof way of doing things.

it also adds weight to the measurement I arrived on for the height. It’s not 39.7 or 41.2, it’s exactly 40cm. That really does help sell it in my eyes.

Its just as likely it isn’t that, because these things are weird. Don’t forget that the final bend in and out all over the place. But if you had a perfect front on shot, 40cm is where I would put my money based on the math.

Last edited:

Nester99

Hope they fit into my TV stand that has 2 slots for stuff.

Xbox looks like the bigger space problem for my specific set up. My slots are 5" tall and 19" wide.

NullZ3r0

Banned
I see this FUD's been spreading here too. Here's some pics from the same thread on Era that are much more accurate

Posted by Uncle Squingis:
RUiFKGF.png

This was created by user Arex:
UAyFhuG.png

These give us a much better idea of the size comparison between these boxes. The depth of the PS5 is roughly 1.5x the depth of the XSX, not double as the shitty fan render in the OP would have you believe.
This is the console equivalent of "She's not fat, she's big bone-ded!"

nosseman

It looks HUUUUGE.

Vertical it much taller, deeper and as wide (if not wider) than XBox Series X (remember that the stand counts as its width also).

Horizontally is much wider, deeper and looks taller since the whole console is elevated by the stand.

It also looks unbalanced and that it will easily fall over.

SaucyJack

Hope they fit into my TV stand that has 2 slots for stuff.

Xbox looks like the bigger space problem for my specific set up. My slots are 5" tall and 19" wide.

I think it's clear that you have an issue with the Series X then which is confirmed at 6" tall and 12" wide on its side and is too big for your slots.

The PS5 looks like it might be a little over 4" by 14" or thereabouts so you should be OK

SaucyJack

Yes. In the beginning of this gen, everyone kept complaining about the size of the Xbox One, but if it's the PS5 it's suddenly not an issue anymore? Because back then the majority complained about its size.

As with the post above this, the issue with the Series X is how tall it is on its side. It just won't fit in a lot of entertainment unit. I have Ikea units in my living room and man cave and it won't fit there and my only option would be to put it behind the TV which may not be practical.

The unit in my bedroom is OK but I don't really game there ......... too much lovin' going on :messenger_tongue:

ethomaz

Banned
If the console is big, imagine the size of the box where it will come packaged, it will be hilarious to look at and carry.
The level of obsession about its size is getting absurd.
From the leaked the box size is the same size as PS4 Pro box.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The thing is that the drive size difference could be upward of 1cm, which could mean anywhere from 3-5cm out in today. That’s a LOT.

The inner USB connection is standard, there is only one size. You can have multiple port sizes, with multiple different housing, but the inner tab is always the exact same size; 1cm. It’s a pretty fool proof way of doing things.

it also adds weight to the measurement I arrived on for the height. It’s not 39.7 or 41.2, it’s exactly 40cm. That really does help sell it in my eyes.

Its just as likely it isn’t that, because these things are weird. Don’t forget that the final bend in and out all over the place. But if you had a perfect front on shot, 40cm is where I would put my money based on the math.
I had no ideia you were from the Xbox discord FUD gang lol
I found your tweets trying to made PS5 bigger than it is.

I corrected you there too.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

As with the post above this, the issue with the Series X is how tall it is on its side. It just won't fit in a lot of entertainment unit. I have Ikea units in my living room and man cave and it won't fit there and my only option would be to put it behind the TV which may not be practical.

The unit in my bedroom is OK but I don't really game there ......... too much lovin' going on :messenger_tongue:

still better than what i had to so with my pro. It sits behind a wall behind my tv. Had to instal a gang wall plate, lol. It is silent now.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I had no ideia you were from the Xbox discord FUD gang lol
I found your tweets trying to made PS5 bigger than it is.

I corrected you there too.

Discord gang? I’ve used it once and that was to talk to Digital Foundry.

“Found my tweets” “Trying to make PS5 bigger than it is”?

Are you actually for real? It’s called maths?

You’ve just searched out my tweets to try and prove me wrong. Is this really that important to you? Who cares which console is bigger, this is about finding out the size, it’s not a game. I’ve blocked you on Twitter, I don’t need that sort of sadness.

Get help mate.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
You know how utterly pathetic you sound right now, right...? You’ve just gone off site, to bring off site things here, when all the post says on my Twitter is... everything I’ve said here.

You’ve done nothing other than take it personally that I had a different GUESS than you, and made yourself look like a plank.

Congrats. 10 points Cuntindor.

ethomaz

Banned
You know how utterly pathetic you sound right now, right...? You’ve just gone off site, to bring off site things here, when all the post says on my Twitter is... everything I’ve said here.

You’ve done nothing other than take it personally that I had a different GUESS than you, and made yourself look like a plank.

Congrats. 10 points Cuntindor.
Nothing personal at all.
Mistermedia shared your tweet when I was replied to some FUD he was trying to spread.
I saw and found it equal to what you posted here so I corrected you too.

But hey now it is a "guess" from you lol
Before it was "After laughing".

Last edited:

soulbait

Like FOR REAL! What's the stand for? I'm so confused......other than that, I love the PS5 design.

Only think I can think is airflow. Maybe there are vents in there to bring in air? Same with the fins up top. Maybe those are there to make space so air can come out? I don't think we will know until that give us more high res photos of it, with up close shots at all angles.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Nothing personal at all.
Mistermedia shared your tweet when I was replied to some FUD he was trying to spread.
I saw and found it equal to what you posted here so I corrected you too.

So some guy shared my tweet, and I’m in the gang?

Did you know Brent Spiner liked my tweet a few weeks back. It doesn’t mean I’m part of the fucking enterprise bridge crew, you nutter.

Oh shit digital foundry liked a tweet from me earlier, damn, ive been exposed! Come on mate that’s utterly insane.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

I don't care about the size, but I am a bit concerned by the size of the vents, the more I look at it. No matter what you do, a damn gecko will get into your apartment here in SE Asia, and I'm just hoping the vents are small enough to keep a baby gecko out. Hopefully the openings we see in the front, are backed by smaller holes before leading to the innards of the system. No previous PS had any oversized holes on the chassis, so I trust they'll take foreign objects/creatures into consideration. Yeah, tropical paradise problems, but this is the reality of my life these days. Left the city for a beach town, and now I'm dealing with all orders of critters in my day-to-day.

ethomaz

Banned
So some guy shared my tweet, and I’m in the gang?

Did you know Brent Spiner liked my tweet a few weeks back. It doesn’t mean I’m part of the fucking enterprise bridge crew, you nutter.

Oh shit digital foundry liked a tweet from me earlier, damn, ive been exposed! Come on mate that’s utterly insane.
Sorry I jumped conclusion on the gang part.
I really apologies for that.
I should have asked you first.

It was just so similar at how they talk in tweet with these bigger PS5 measurements that I made that mistake.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
am i the only one that thinks bigger and heavier are better? you know like with women and restaurant meals.
In theory, bigger means more heat dissipation which means slower moving fans which means quieter consoles.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Sorry I jumped conclusion on the gang part.
I really apologies for that.
I should have asked you first.

It was just so similar at how they talk in tweet with these bigger PS5 measurements that I made that mistake.

I forgive you. This once.

And for the record, I'm a T-Birds greaser. Nark.

The fins are obviously to cover up the vents that surround the body of the chassis, but I got to wonder if it would look a little better if they just left the fins off and the vents exposed.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Spreading FUD together with MisterXMedia... your tweet popup up to me after I corrected MixterXMedia.
Edit - You blocked me after being exposed lol

i don’t know who this guy is but I think he’s overestimating. I think it’ll be closer to 35cm than 40 based on the various comparisons we’ve seen.

TheContact

IGN estimated (based off of the disc drive size) the ps5 to be 15.74" x 8.79" x 3.97".

Which if true basically means it's close to size of your average SFF tower (though less thick)

ethomaz

Banned
i don’t know who this guy is but I think he’s overestimating. I think it’ll be closer to 35cm than 40 based on the various comparisons we’ve seen.
The height I believe is fine... myself estimated 36-38cm.
The only part that doesn’t make sense is the 30fm width that the official pics doesn’t agree... it is less than 25cm.
In my estimates it is closer to 20cm.

ethomaz

Banned
IGN estimated (based off of the disc drive size) the ps5 to be 15.74" x 8.79" x 3.97".

Which if true basically means it's close to size of your average SFF tower (though less thick)
I had to use Google to translate :D

39.97 x 22.32 x 10.08 cm

The proportion is the same than mine (1.9:1)... to be fair their estimate are really close to mine just that mine are a bit smaller

38 x 20 x 9.5 cm

Take in mind that 9.5 is the biggest part where the DB drive is... it is around 5cm the digital version in that part and the top is 8.5cm while the middle is 6.5cm.

Last edited:

Vognerful

I don't care about the size, but I am a bit concerned by the size of the vents, the more I look at it. No matter what you do, a damn gecko will get into your apartment here in SE Asia, and I'm just hoping the vents are small enough to keep a baby gecko out. Hopefully the openings we see in the front, are backed by smaller holes before leading to the innards of the system. No previous PS had any oversized holes on the chassis, so I trust they'll take foreign objects/creatures into consideration. Yeah, tropical paradise problems, but this is the reality of my life these days. Left the city for a beach town, and now I'm dealing with all orders of critters in my day-to-day.
If the air is hot enough, sure a gecko won’t go inside, no?

Top Bottom