• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conan Exiles Early Access |OT| You shall be my Thrall

The PVP will sell this to me. I have spent so much time on the other games that I am completely burnt out on the genre. My patience for building, gathering, mining has worn completely thin but of the games I've played none of them delivered in the combat. This looks a bit more legit but still has that jank and familiar feel to the other games. Gonna fight temptation till I see that it's a better game then the rest.

Drazgul

Edit: Combat also doesn't look all that impressive, along with the generic blood.png that shows up on the screen and fades out. Legit looks like a really late attempt at cashing in on the success of Rust, Ark, etc...

4Juh2sJ.gif

Yeah, was initially going to buy this right away but that right there is what made me put it on hold - it may seem like a petty thing but having good animations (and proper attack impacts & reactions, both to and from the player) is a pretty big deal for me since it's what I end up doing a lot in these games. PVP looked awful because of those, but I really hope they do get improved because I love the setting and the potential this game has.

they should just copy the combat of for honor lol

Yeah it's kind of baffling why none of these games try to replicate an established combat system like souls, mount and blade, chivalry etc. One of them tried to do chivalry but the jank on that game was unbearable and made the combat terrible.

Yo, I'm having no luck getting this to run well with their Battleye anti-cheat. Regardless of settings I get 15-20 FPS with a GTX 1080 and i7 6700k.

Disabling Battleye bumps me up to 100+ FPS, but only enables unofficial servers.

Kind of weird.

Might stream it in a bit if anyone wants to watch btw, got in early because of the site I write for and Funcom's encouraging me to stream.

Compsiox

Banned
Yo, I'm having no luck getting this to run well with their Battleye anti-cheat. Regardless of settings I get 15-20 FPS with a GTX 1080 and i7 6700k.

Disabling Battleye bumps me up to 100+ FPS, but only enables unofficial servers.

Kind of weird.

Might stream it in a bit if anyone wants to watch btw, got in early because of the site I write for and Funcom's encouraging me to stream.
Did you download the newest Nvidia driver made specifically for this game?

Honestly think the best marketing you can get these days is giving your games to variety streamers the day before release. Before today there was NO talk about this game anywhere. I made a thread a week ago that didn't even make it to page 2. I'm guessing this will debut top 5 on steam tomorrow. How long it will stay there will depend on word of mouth.

Watching Lirik play, servers just went down, can't hold more than 50 people or something.

Game looks super janky. But fans of this genre tend to like that, so I'm sure it'll be incredibly successful just like every other survival game.

Edit: Visuals besides UI look really impressive though, as does the overall world layout.

Khezu

Hopefully this will be the game that makes me appreciate open world survival game bullshit.

Or at least tolerate it enough to do cool barbarian things.

Ricker

Yeah, was initially going to buy this right away but that right there is what made me put it on hold - it may seem like a petty thing but having good animations (and proper attack impacts & reactions, both to and from the player) is a pretty big deal for me since it's what I end up doing a lot in these games. PVP looked awful because of those, but I really hope they do get improved because I love the setting and the potential this game has.

Yep,that looks kinda bad but arent all survival games lately like this combat wise,its more about building and finding stuff to survive,less about solo PvE combat.

Seriosuly torn on this one and I think it will come down to the battle system. I've seen from trailers what looks like advanced, almost Chivalry-like combat, but I have no clue how far you have to get in to the game to get past it just being this: \/\/\/

Edit: Combat also doesn't look all that impressive, along with the generic blood.png that shows up on the screen and fades out. Legit looks like a really late attempt at cashing in on the success of Rust, Ark, etc...

4Juh2sJ.gif

Looking at the streams right now where people seem to have actual swords and shields, it still looks like the gif more or less.

I kinda want to check this out, being a big fan of Conan. The recent Conan board game is extremely fun as well.

I'm not sure any of my friends would be into it though which is a shame.

I really like the potential here, especially as PVE plays a much larger role than any other survival game. That's been one of my biggest gripes over the years with survival games. Unfortunately, the combat and AI look VERY rough.

https://youtu.be/XZzDCqGbuls

If that's how it is at launch, I really can't justify picking it up yet.

Compsiox

Banned
I really like the potential here, especially as PVE plays a much larger role than any other survival game. That's been one of my biggest gripes over the years with survival games. Unfortunately, the combat and AI look VERY rough.

https://youtu.be/XZzDCqGbuls

If that's how it is at launch, I really can't justify picking it up yet.

The Rust zombies were a lot of fun anyway lol

They're also allowing mods from day 1.

The Rust zombies were a lot of fun anyway lol

They're also allowing mods from day 1.

Yea, that's a HUGE plus. I'm watching some people play right now on Twitch. Looks a bit better than the video I posted, but man the AI are still really poor. They don't even move often.

Like they just walked up to a large group and beat them to death. The other group 10 feet away didn't even react. hen they went over and killed them without any resistance.

I'm really surprised how well this game has blown up in popularity over at Twitch... was expecting maybe 10,000 concurrent at most, wow sex sells huh.

I'm hoping for a nice community server. I definitely want PVP and stuff, but I'd like some more structure to my play. Like Arma has done with communities. Having larger faction type groups and stuff would greatly add to the experience I think. I don't want to just be griefed constantly like in Rust.

Survival games *always* blow up at release due to the big streamers.

Which leads to EA games usually frontloading sales and then dropping pretty much all support. The hope is that mod support remedy's that issue to a degree. Hopefully as the dev has slightly more pedigree than your normal groups that will lead to them supporting it longer too. But who knows.

Somnia

Lirik and Waffle are teaming up against Summit, Bikeman and Sodapoppin right now. Lirik has like 70k viewers and Summit 42k lol

Going to be awesome when they finally battle.

For the people playing, is the game's file size actually ~30gb or is that just the required space?

I'm not playing BBUUTTT going by past experiences the 30 GB size is the game unpacked and installed. I'm guessing the download size will be around 15 - 20 GB.

Lirik and Waffle are teaming up against Summit, Bikeman and Sodapoppin right now. Lirik has like 70k viewers and Summit 42k lol

Going to be awesome when they finally battle.

Lirik just did the most savage shit I've ever seen in a video game...

Feel legit bad for the victim but ohhh my god

Pop_smoke

Neo Member
This was announced for PS4 too? When!? That's exciting. I see it in the OT however never heard anything about that yet.

The game is so awesome, people keep saying its a ark and rust copy.
Well I mean, its the genre. Not to mention the art style is conan, so it's gorgeous.

Stiler

Why do all survival games have to have janky animations/combat? Dot hey think that's what appeals to people about these games? Because it isn't.

I'd love for a survival game that had actual good and fun melee combat (IE like Dark Souls or For Honor) with range/mounted combat like Mount and Blade.

Then throw it on an actual LARGE "official" server that hosts 500+ people per server instead of your usual <100'ish private servers.

This game looks like it could be fun but the combat really looks subpar, even compared to the mmo Conan game. It needs a lot more refined animations and impact to it, some depth instead of just swinging your weapon around.

I'd love for a survival game that had actual good and fun melee combat (IE like Dark Souls or For Honor) with range/mounted combat like Mount and Blade.

Then throw it on an actual LARGE "official" server that hosts 500+ people per server instead of your usual <100'ish private servers.

This game looks like it could be fun but the combat really looks subpar, even compared to the mmo Conan game. It needs a lot more refined animations and impact to it, some depth instead of just swinging your weapon around.

So you want an MMO then... survival games aren't MMOs in that the core mechanics are based on survival and crafting and combat is the means to achieve these. What more survival games need are single player offline as opposed to hundreds of people all doing the same crafting as you.

There're plenty, plenty of MMOs with combat systems more advanced than the one in Conan: Exiles with light survival elements.

Top Bottom