• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conan Exiles Early Access |OT| You shall be my Thrall

deoee

Watching a few streams this looks like your usual junky shitty survival game.

What makes this more appealing?

Mod support, larger PVE elements, different kinds of features that promote gameplay beyond just raiding. That being being said it's too early to tell if it will pan out.

Tizoc

Steam only I believe.

Edit: G2A has it, but it's more expensive than it is on Steam.

I put in a refund request, for now, I should have done a proper search for RP type stuff before. Of the very small (a handful) of RP servers that there are, they either are filled and not recruiting. Or are far too serious about the RP portion that I'm a bit put off. As in, write a page+ biography of your character, always stay in character and are required to write weekly updates on your character's story. That's too much for me. I would host my own server, but I simply don't have the time to deal with and setup the server for recruitment and everything right now.

Just saw it up on Humblebundle.com
I can get a 10% discount off of it so I'll grab it from there.

Chumley

Banned
Played it for about 20-30 minutes. The movement feels awful and the combat is very very janky with that awful screen blood effect. Might be cool in the future but for now I requested a refund.

depths20XX

This game looks like a pile of dog shit. Even for a beta it looks terrible and so behind the curve. It's like the Conan name is cursed or something.

I watched Cohhcarnage play it for a while and he was really getting into it and make it look really fun so I went and bought it.

Cohhcarnage is garbage and says every game he plays is good. He's so caught up in his stream being some "positive vibes" that it's impossible to take anything he says seriously.

EloKa

I'm currently sitting at 39 ingame hours and have no signs of fatigue and pretty much all players like this time atm.

But I have never played ARK oder Rust so I can not really compare it to other games of this genre.

Keasar

Looking at the devstream video, while the GUI isn't that nice looking it's certainly not as clusterfuckery as ARK. That's a plus so far. Seriously, ARK has one of the worst GUI designs I've ever seen in a game.
And the devs of ARK should really go back and get their ass to working on making the game properly work before shittalking other developers and certainly before developing more bloody DLCs.

The combat and AI however doesn't look great. Will wait for them to further develop this.

glaurung

That is amazing, bu it just has one endowment slider that affects length, right? Once we get separate sliders/settings for length, girth, head size, circumcision status, ball size, hair coverage...then we're talking.
I watched someone stream this ridiculous thing for 5 minutes. The quicker it dies the better.

Wow, they really have no place in calling out other devs for anything.

They jumped on a bandwagon started by the likes of Minecraft, DayZ, Rust, etc... with a game that still looks and runs like shit, that's only popular because it road on the coattails of Jurassic World.

From what I'm reading, Conan actually performs and looks pretty damn good for the genre. Same game engine as Ark too. Ark devs have no excuse.

I watched someone stream this ridiculous thing for 5 minutes. The quicker it dies the better.
?

You watched someone play with donger physics for 5 minutes?

glaurung

You watched someone play with donger physics for 5 minutes?
lol, not far off.

No, I watched someone starve and die on a nondescript beach somewhere. I think an otter bit him and he deded. Having played Ark and Rust, this game has nothing. Also, why the blinding fuck do all these game have to have such terrible UIs? It's like they deliberately invoke game menus from 1995.

lol, not far off.

No, I watched someone starve and die on a nondescript beach somewhere. I think an otter bit him and he deded. Having played Ark and Rust, this game has nothing. Also, why the blinding fuck do all these game have to have such terrible UIs? It's like they deliberately invoke game menus from 1995.

Was wondering the same damn thing. They really need some design help.

lol, not far off.

All their UI's are essentially invoking MMO's with buff and debuff type stuff and Minecraft. I'm pretty sure that's the inspiration

Having played Ark and Rust, this game has nothing. Also, why the blinding fuck do all these game have to have such terrible UIs? It's like they deliberately invoke game menus from 1995.

This is full of ignorance, my God. How long has Rust and Ark been in Early Access compared to Conan? Do you know the state both Rust and Ark were in when they were first released? It was bare bones, same as Conan.

This is full of ignorance, my God. How long has Rust and Ark been in Early Access compared to Conan? Do you know the state both Rust and Ark were in when they were first released? It was bare bones, same as Conan.

Rust was disgusting lol, I mean it was proper shit. Not just at release but the whole time before the new engine essentially. Ark even on 980ti systems with I7's ran at like 20 fps.

glaurung

Your god won't help you here. All these games fail through complete lack of vision, followed through or no. Ark is a haven of cheats and hackers. Rust is a semi-abandoned piece of filth. Conan trying to get a bite out of this rotten pie... Too little, too late? I take issue with this genre in general and the way early access shenanigans propagate publisher machinations.

Bear in mind that Age of Conan was a flawed, but still a very interesting MMO. If they threw the towel at their MMO, do you think this will do any better? It'll be near the top part of Twitch for a couple of weeks, then fade to obscurity and oblivion.

Hari Seldon

Your god won't help you here. All these games fail through complete lack of vision, followed through or no. Ark is a haven of cheats and hackers. Rust is a semi-abandoned piece of filth. Conan trying to get a bite out of this rotten pie... Too little, too late? I take issue with this genre in general and the way early access shenanigans propagate publisher machinations.

Bear in mind that Age of Conan was a flawed, but still a very interesting MMO. If they threw the towel at their MMO, do you think this will do any better? It'll be near the top part of Twitch for a couple of weeks, then fade to obscurity and oblivion.

It is possible, but these devs have a lot more pedigree than others who have tried this genre.

ISee

No, you run to your corpse and loot it.

You lose your stuff but you respawn at a random nearby area or at your bedroll if you crafted and placed one.

That's okay. One last question: Can my corpse be looted just by me?

edit:
depends on the server settings. Default configuration: all stuff remains in your corpse and can be looted (also by yourself) but the character doesn't lose any XP. You can also play without losing any items or play with perma death mode.

I see. thx

EloKa

If I die do I loose all my stuff and have to create a new char?
depends on the server settings. Default configuration: all stuff remains in your corpse and can be looted (default: by anyone, including yourself [or just the killer]) but the character doesn't lose any XP. You can also play without losing any items at all or play with perma death mode.

While it is true that this looks (in terms of gameplay) quite similar to the other two main survival games are the moment, at least this is a fresh start without anything negative so far.

RUST is just throwing away all it's potential so it i can go after the "PVP is all that matters!" playerbase. There are dozens of extremely interesting, unique concepts they've shown over the over the years; Cars, backpacks, weapon emplacements, Robot NPCs, Mutated creatures, lots of decoration objects...all those things are shown once and then never heard from again. Instead most weeks all that's gets shown in the devblog is something along the lines of "Here's this weeks YET ANOTHER new weapon/clothing and shiny new location!". Not every week (like there was farming recently) but i've given up on any of the actual game-changing concepts making it in, especially now it's supposedly nearing release.

As for ARK...that has to be one of the worst games I've seen and i seriously don't think deserves the attention it gets. Extremely unprofessional animations, UI, character creator and creature behaviour, the whole expansion thing, how they just throw new content into the game without really sorting out what's there already etc. The worst thing for me is how the initial trailer (and what seems to be multiple trailers after as well) was entirely misleading in tone and portrayal of the game despite being 'gameplay. Just watch these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNb38eTPT3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ko0BGPUUyQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hwdh8enX7Q

I'm still waiting for that game. The entire tone that trailer gives is of a serious, well-made dinosaur game, which is certainly not what it is.

Both those games gave the impression they'd be so much more than they actually are.

Anyway, i'll be keeping an eye on this. What I've seen so far does need improvement but it seems most of the negative revise I've seen are basically "It's early access, __ isn't perfect!" and "ARK/Rust is better, get those instead!" which i find to be just absurd things to complain about, really.

Hagi

Looking forward to getting a few hours in tonight.

Cohhcarnage is garbage and says every game he plays is good. He's so caught up in his stream being some "positive vibes" that it's impossible to take anything he says seriously.

Uh okay.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Probably from so many people playing haha

Considering there is a player cap on each instance it shouldn't matter how many people are playing at any given point in time.

I watched a couple streams. Looks like another janky rust/ark, just in a different setting.

derFeef

I just got an E-Mail from GMG - 20% voucher code for Conan Exiles. Guess I am refunding on Steam and get that version.

Gxgear

Full on nudity? Seriously, been watching a bit of twitch and everyone's running around with Pamela Anderson-esque avatars.

So i poked around in this game last night for a couple hours and it definitely feels samey in so far as the basic collect, build, level up mechanics are concerned. I like that recipes are learned in groups versus one piece at a time. If you want to learn how to build structures, you'll get all pieces in one purchase: Foundation, Wall, Roof, Doorway, Door (stairs? I forget).

Combat is skyrimmy so far, but obviously swinging a mining pick can only be so interesting. This game advertised a bunch of interesting interweapon interactions, like hammers crushing shields and other fire emblemy weapon triangle goodness. At least as per the last dev blog that's all in there, i was just too busy getting punched to death by naked npcs, i'm bad at these games, to unlock the sword and shield kit.

Houses feel super expensive to build.

But again; I played this game for some 90 minutes mostly staring at my junk and running around staring at all the pretty scenery, mashing the collect button. The game mechanics i haven't experienced are the most interesting to me so i'm still interested in playing this build more and seeing what this game has to offer in the future.

Compsiox

Banned
Considering there is a player cap on each instance it shouldn't matter how many people are playing at any given point in time.

I watched a couple streams. Looks like another janky rust/ark, just in a different setting.

The servers can still be overloaded like during the launch of many games :p

Seems like another overpriced, VERY early access game with mixed reviews? Looks like I'll wait a while for this one.

Yeah it's probably smarter to wait til there's a lul in other game releases to give this a shot. In 6 months these things are usually totally different games.

Feeroper

I definitely interested in giving this game a shot as I like the Conan setting and on paper I like the survival style games. However I see a lot of negativity for other games like ARK and Rust - I haven't played them though. What is the drawback for this type of game? I thought this kind of game had some good potential for emergent gameplay scenarios?

I know its early with Conan, so Ill wait to hear more about as it progresses but so far it has the most appeal to me (although there is a good sale for ARK on steam right now).

Twookie

I don't really see what's all that different from all other survival games in the genre, doesn't really look that fun.

Will take a look at it later, but it looks kinda meh with cool graphics :7

oktarb

Anyone know when you can setup a private server. Seems like the only way I'd want to play. Trying to get into servers drivers me crazy and feels so 90's.

Kalentan

Interesting to hear that the combat isn't that good. Wonder why they didn't just use a modified version of the AoC combat? That was fun iirc.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Interesting to hear that the combat isn't that good. Wonder why they didn't just use a modified version of the AoC combat? That was fun iirc.

I'm hoping they come through with a serious combat upgrade in the vein of something like Warframe where the combat has seen significant and wide ranging changes to make it more viable and fun.

The first official patch has been deployed!

Changelog:

Fixed an issue that was causing disconnects when joining servers in certain cases
Fix for Steam Connect; you should now be able to join a server when the client is running from the Steam server list (not just the clients)
Voice chat has been disabled during character creation
Loot bags will now despawn correctly
Fixed an issue that could sometimes lead to server stalls

derFeef

I played a bit and died a lot. :) Combat is really something they need to work on, phew. Otherwise I love the lore and stories I find so far. Music is ace as well.
So if I create a solo server, a friend can always join if I invite him? And does that carry both of our characters? (or fore more people).

I played a bit and died a lot. :) Combat is really something they need to work on, phew. Otherwise I love the lore and stories I find so far. Music is ace as well.
So if I create a solo server, a friend can always join if I invite him? And does that carry both of our characters? (or fore more people).

I believe characters are saved per server. So your solo character will always be saved on your server, if your friend joins, leaves, then comes back they will be using that same character again (characters go to 'sleep' when you log off).

Top Bottom