• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONCACAF Gold Cup | 7-26 July 2015 | The Ecstasy of Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Damn, what a save on a decent PK by Bradley...

The subsequent Panama penalty was almost identical, Guzan gets a hand to it but can't keep it out... that's probably going to be the difference.

Aaaand Beasley's mediocre PK is saved, in what will probably be his last action with the national team.

There it is.

Don't do what Mexico would. Don't fire Klinsman. He did a great job at the WC and there's still the confederations cup playoff to be played in October. Continuity is a good thing.

Lol worst US team since they failed to qualify for the world cup.

Fourth place behind a tiny country that didn't win a single game.

But please, tell us how Jorgen is a good coach who deserves three more years

Draconian

Don't do what Mexico would. Don't fire Klinsman. He did a great job at the WC and there's still the confederations cup playoff to be played in October. Continuity is a good thing.

This team is trash right now. Can't wait until someone brings up meaningless friendlies against Germany and Netherlands as reasons why he should stay.

xbhaskarx

The final shot chart:
1NgLHrp.png

This team is trash right now. Can't wait until someone brings up meaningless friendlies against Germany and Netherlands as reasons why he should stay.
How about a flawless 2014 WC qualifiers and a very respectable WC getting out of the group of death leaving the likes of Portugal and CR7 out of the tournament?

I say stick with him. Continuity will pay off.

If Landon was on the 14 WC team, does the US make the quarters?
I realize it's a ridiculous question and he was only one player, but just curious what difference he might've made.
That potential game against Argentina would've been huge for soccer viewership, bugs me that we didn't get it.

Personally, think it's too early to get rid of Klinsmann.
I didn't agree with his decision to leave Landon off the team, but he got to the round of 16.

He's at least earned the chance to coach the Confederations Cup.
If he bombs there, then the discussion makes more sense to me, just seems a little knee jerky right now.

FuturusX

Well done Panama. That was a deserved victory, although it should never have gone to penalties. They should have won about 11-1 at the end of 120 minutes, but some good goalkeeping from Brad Guzan and some lamentable finishing from the Panamanians kept it level. USA, basically, were rubbish.

source: http://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2015/jul/25/gold-cup-third-place-match-usa-panama-live

I don't think Klinsman should get the chop, but they should be looking for a good replacement. That performance was terrible. If a good opportunity for an upgrade emerges they should take it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
How about a flawless 2014 WC qualifiers and a very respectable WC getting out of the group of death leaving the likes of Portugal and CR7 out of the tournament?

I will give JK the wc14 qualifiers, but he based his entire US campaign on changing to a more attacking oriented football only to fall back on old Bruce Arena patterns in the WC.

Also, 1-1-2 losing record at the WC.

NoRéN

If Landon was on the 14 WC team, does the US make the quarters?
I realize it's a ridiculous question and he was only one player, but just curious what difference he might've made.
That potential game against Argentina would've been huge for soccer viewership, bugs me that we didn't get it.

Personally, think it's too early to get rid of Klinsmann.
I didn't agree with his decision to leave Landon off the team, but he got to the round of 16.

He's at least earned the chance to coach the Confederations Cup.
If he bombs there, then the discussion makes more sense to me, just seems a little knee jerky right now.
Iquestion is impossible to answer but what can be said is that Landon is a leader when it matters.

Bob Bradley also got to the round of 16 and he did it undefeated in the group stage.

Bob Bradley also earned the chance to coach in the confederations cup.

Bob Bradley lost the gold cup final to mexico, not a semi-final to Jamaica.

This is painful. Panama medal ceremony in front of an empty stadium. I doubt the third place game will happen in 2017.

JaEz6ei.png

I certainly didn't stay.
Embarrassing performance from start to finish. Even our one goal wasn't even that good.

I think the union took the national teams uniforms and took the field :/

xbhaskarx

NoRéN;172979116 said:
Bob Bradley also got to the round of 16 and he did it undefeated in the group stage.

Bob Bradley also earned the chance to coach in the confederations cup [and took the US to the final, beating a #1 ranked Spain team that was undefeated over 35 games 2-0 along the way.]

Bob Bradley lost the gold cup final to mexico, not a semi-final to Jamaica [followed by getting thoroughly outplayed and embarrassed by Panama.]

And Klinsmann earns 5x as much as Bradley (actually that was before his extension through 2018, it could be even more now)... shouldn't we have the right to expect a noticeable improvement given all the money we're paying?

Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 1m
Jurgen Klinsmann: "Nations that were maybe not so regarded before the tournament earned respect."

Out of all the things this tournament, this is probably one of the bigger points for me. We certainly didn't preform to nearly the best or where we should be but Jamaica, Panama, T&T had a wonderful tournament.

Out of all the things this tournament, this is probably one of the bigger points for me. We certainly didn't preform to nearly the best or where we should be but Jamaica, Panama, T&T had a wonderful tournament.

Mmm I disagree.

Yes, they've improved, but none of them turned into Spain or Germany.

Instead, both the US and Mexico shat the bed

kIdMuScLe

You mean the same qualifiers that had Beast mode LD but inexplicably left him off the WC team? It has been downhill since then...

NoRéN

Mmm I disagree.

Yes, they've improved, but none of them turned into Spain or Germany.

Instead, both the US and Mexico shat the bed
Yeah but Mexico has been shitting the bed since before the World Cup.

According to most U.S. fans, WC 2014 was a success.
"We lost 1-0 to the eventual champs".

Hell, putting aside the typical friendlies don't matter unless we win mentality, U.S. beat Netherlands and the World Cup champs. Yet, they couldn't beat Jamaica and a mentally and morally deflated Panama?

The saddest part for the USA is that the youth team sucks.

Mexico is out winning the Olympics, kicking ass at pan American games...where's team USA?

Retire the current team and there's nobody in the wings waiting to play

I mean both the US and Mexico were/are terrible but that doesn't mean the other teams weren't good. It isn't mutually exclusive.

I don't disagree but Jurgen shouldn't be the one making that point.

Simply because it's not his job to make the rest of CONCACAF look good and it sounds like he's making an excuse for why he failed miserably at what actually is his job in this Gold Cup.

I don't disagree but Jurgen shouldn't be the one making that point.

Simply because it's not his job to make the rest of CONCACAF look good and it sounds like he's making an excuse for why he failed miserably at what actually is his job in this Gold Cup.

Good point. I was focusing more on the content and not who said it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom